[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 22 KB, 291x356, 1268204535269.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12468058 No.12468058 [Reply] [Original]

So I thought I do a solid for any cooking newfags and post something that's just basic, relevant information. So, here's a list of pantry staples that everyone should have in their kitchen, because with these, you'll always be able to make a decent meal for yourself. I'm not including spices in this list, because to me, that should be a list all it's own.
Let's start with dry goods, and then I'll list canned.

All purpose flour
Rice of your choice
Baking soda
Baking powder
Dry pasta of your choice
Dried Beans (a good selection would be a bag of pinto, a bag of chickpeas, and a bag of white beans, i.e. navy, great northeren, or cannelini)
Dried Lentils
Cornmeal
Nuts of whatever variety you prefer (these should actually be kept in the refrigerator or freezer, though, since they contain oils that can become rancid after a while)
Cocoa powder
Oatmeal
Crackers of your choice
Salt
Pepper
Oil / oils of your choice
Vinegars of your choice

>continues

>> No.12468062

>>12468058

>continues

Canned/Jarred
Sweeteners of your choice (sugar, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, rice bran syrup, etc)
Mustard
Crushed tomatoes
Whole tomatoes
Tomato paste
Canned fish - anchovies and sardines are a must, but also tuna, salmon, or mackerel
Olives of your choice
Peanut butter or other nut butter
Jam or jelly of your choice
Canned beans (for busy times when you can't make dried beans) of your choice. A good variety is black beans, black eyed peas, refried beans, chickpeas, butter beans, and white beans
Canned corn
Soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, or both preferably
Evaporated Milk (so important to have in the pantry, it's a meal saver, truly)
Canned or boxed chicken broth (even if you make your own, like I do, still keep some for when you run out of your homemade)
Other canned vegetables of your choice (I like to keep some canned green beans, peas, and hominy)
Applesauce (can be eaten as is, or used in baking)
Pickles of your choice
Hot sauce of your choice
Coffee
Tea
Vanilla extract

Optional pantry staples: chocolate chips, ketchup, dry yeast, soups, dried fruits, pumpkin puree

If I left anything out, or you want to add your own staples, feel free to add on.

>> No.12468094
File: 366 KB, 2400x2400, soylerysalt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i have a variety of spices on hand.
>>12468058
>catposting

>> No.12468137

>>12468058
this chili mac is actually ok, i was sure i threw 2 dollars away. kek, but this is kinda ok

>> No.12468138
File: 25 KB, 355x355, ok.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12468137

>> No.12468217

Thanks op. I have a lot of this stuff, but now I can think of of shit I don't have.

>> No.12468228
File: 2.86 MB, 852x480, women.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why is this arbitrary midwestern shit helpful

I don't have half your staples and you haven't listed half what i would consider mine

>> No.12468255

>>12468228
>midwestern shit
And where you even get that stupid idea from? These are basic pantry staples everywhere. Sorry you're so shit.