[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 3.90 MB, 4032x3024, 20190328_201551.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12096722 No.12096722 [Reply] [Original]

Does it look like shit

>> No.12096725

>>12096722
sort of, but not too bad because it has a decent bit of color.

is that a metal spatula on a nonstick pan tho?

>> No.12096734

>>12096725
Nah its a regular cheap pan but im looking to upgrade this weekend.

>> No.12096738

>>12096722
Looks too moist or too oily, probably too moist.

>> No.12096747

add spinach and de-shell your shrimp

>> No.12096772

>>12096738
Youre right, the rice was a bit frozen

>> No.12096781

>>12096772
Always refrigerated, day old rice for fried rice. Any frozen ingredients should be defrosted then cooked in a separate pan until they no longer give off water before being added to the rice.

>> No.12096797

yeah it looks like a big SLOPP of shit

>> No.12096804

>>12096722
Not nearly as bad as those ratty-ass hairs on your stove top. Use day-old rice like >>12096781 suggested, ease up on your soy sauce a bit, and ditch the deli ham. Most grocery stores have ham steaks you can buy that'll cube up into a better size and have better flavor anyway. If you're looking to add a little more depth of flavor, a splash of sesame oil does wonders, as would a spoonful of chili garlic paste.

>> No.12096828

>>12096722
Next time use day old rice out of the refrigerator. This shit looks wetter than my ass crack on a hot summer day.

>> No.12096836

>>12096804
>a splash of sesame oil does wonders, as would a spoonful of chili garlic paste.
I actually have sesame oil as well, don't know why I forgot about it but will keep garlic paste in mind as well.

I only used Shrimp because it had a crazy sale at my grocery, what kind of meat would you recommend and the ingredients for the marinade if you don't mind taking the time to share.

>> No.12096843

>>12096828
I actually did LMAO i just had the pot too far back. I should have preheated it but honestly I should have a rice cooker in 2019.

>> No.12096857
File: 2.88 MB, 512x320, japan.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You should have cooked the shrimp in oil first, then removed it
that lets you flavor oil that goes through your whole dish with shrimp, time its cooking perfectly, get better browning on it, and de-shell it before you add it back to the dish at the very end.

Also if you didn't dry-brine the shrimp, that makes a big difference (for every usage).
about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for every pound of shrimp; give it a quick toss and rest the shrimp in the fridge for anywhere from 15 minutes to about an hour.
Just salt makes a difference if you don't have baking soda. Seriously it makes a big difference.

I also suggest that you use fresh carrots. Fresh carrots are a; very cheap b; last a long time and c; taste much better. There's no reason to use frozen carrots except laziness. Saute them in the oil after you remove the shrimp and you can even get them semi-caramelized (i like to almost burn them).

Aside from that your heat is just too low, so it's too wet. Personally, I would just lose the ham and use more egg, but the grandma at my local chinese handmade dumpling place makes a pork, egg & shrimp dumpling, which is incredible, so i guess it is a legit combo if you like it.

>> No.12096878
File: 203 KB, 1620x1080, IMG_3651 (Large).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12096836
a couple cloves fresh minced garlic is better than garlic paste. He probably meant doubanjiang, which is not a bad addition, but it's not a 'basic fried rice' ingredient. I feel like fried rice is a perfect vehichle for leftovers, and you can flavour it with a lot of things (like doubanjiang), but really the plain version with correct technique is the best, and you can't compensate for not getting that right with extra ingredients. Fresh minced garlic is in every trad recipe for the regular version. It's a key ingredient.

Although, yeah, pic related is what I use. It is good as an alt-fried rice type thing.

Also, did you use sugar? Lots of people forget that, and it's another key ingredient that all chinks use.

>> No.12096889

I like to add my soy sauce (and fish sauce if I'm using it) to my rice the day before, then stick it in the fridge overnight, to prevent soggy fried rice like OP's.

>> No.12096900

>>12096797
I am receiving your SOS post

>> No.12096937

>>12096878

I used two cloves of Garlic for 4 cups of cooked rice.

Would you mind sharing your go to marinade for the meat? I usually din't make it with Shrimp

>> No.12096979

>>12096937
I never cook meat for fried rice.
Most of the time i just eat it with egg, sometimes sliced fried tofu, sometimes shrimp
It's always just a way to use up leftover rice from another meal too, i never cook rice specifically to make fried rice

And I think most of the time marinading meat for asian food is quite stupid. If you're doing char siu or a larger piece of grilled or roasted meat, it makes sense, but if you're doing a stir-fry, i think it's smarter to get good browning on your meat, add aromatics, and then add sauces to make a sauce around it, instead of marinading it first. I think that way gives more flavour, because small bits of wet meat won't brown well before it overcooks, marinades don't really penetrate much anyway, and then you add the flavour after and actually eat the sauces you use. Maybe thicken them with a starch slurry.

If i'm doing asiany meat, i'd rather cook it with vegetables and a sauce, and serve it with plain rice, than do fried rice.
Then the next day i might make fried rice with the leftover rice.

If you really want to prep meat for fried rice, just salt it ahead of time (dry brine). That will make it juicier and hold up better and brown better.

>> No.12097008

>>12096722
actually doesn't look half bad

>> No.12097010
File: 19 KB, 450x300, Red-bean-curd-591decf53df78cf5fa919acc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12096937
Char Siu is good to add to fried rice
You can look up some recipes and change them as much as you want, the key ingredients area couple cubes and some juice of pic related (cost me 90c at my local chinese place), which gives the red colour and has fermented bacteria which tenderises the meat (and it smells/tastes absolutely disgusting but does amazing things to the end product), hoisin sauce, 5 spice, and sugar (i use honey), the rest you can change as much as you want.
And make sure to do atleast 2 days marinade.

Pork shoulder is more forgiving and better really, but i generally do it with loin. Any cut of pork will work.
Then you just roast or grill it, and baste it with a dark soy + honey (or sugar) combination

That's how you make BBQ pork fried rice, which is a traditional thing.

>> No.12097038

>>12096878
>doubanjiang in fried rice
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
*wheeze*
OHNONONONONO AHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.12097090

>>12097038
Fried rice is a way to use leftovers, you can make lots of different versions of it. It's not a dish to get autistic about.
I did say that I prefer the plain traditional version though, and that with doubanjiang is an alt-version. It's good though. Try it one day.

Like for example, I made it with minced ginger, minced tumeric, lemongrass, lime and fish sauce the other day. That was good too.

Do you really never experiment? I generally make fried rice when I'm drunk and have rice in the fridge and lots of diff kinds get made.

>> No.12097107 [DELETED] 

My personal favorite fried rice is made with rice that's cooked in chicken stock instead of broth, and with a superfluous amount of bacon.

>> No.12097112

My personal favorite fried rice is made with rice that's cooked in chicken stock instead of water. The fried rice also features a superfluous amount of bacon.

>> No.12097139
File: 658 KB, 2560x1707, Saffron Rice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12097112
yeah i like that too
last time i made a roast chicken, i browned the carcass and bones, then simmered it with some vege scraps and herbs
cooked rice in the stock with some raisins
caramalysed carrots and some whole cloves of garlic in the saved chicken fat and drippings
then fried the rice a little while with parsley, steeped saffron & toasted walnuts

>> No.12097229

>>12097090
I was just bantering dude, I respect your creativity
I've never personally used doubanjiang in my fried rice, but I feel like the flavor doesn't really mince well with fried rice. I like mine really minimalist, more like a flavored rice than a full dish by itself so I usually just have egg, a protein and one or two light sauces to go in it. I haven't really gone full southeast asian but now that you mention it I think some of that lemongrass would be nice to try as well next time I go down to the specialty grocer

>> No.12097268
File: 573 KB, 2560x1707, IMG_3660 (Custom).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12097229
yeah i basically feel the same way, most of the time it's just
>fry carrot
>fry minced garlic
>add rice, fry
>add little sugar, kikkoman
>add frozen peas
>move to side, scramble eggs in space in wok
>mix through when they set
>season with sesame oil
>taste, adjust, probably add a bit of salt
>wa la

I think it's better as well, the less you make, so putting any effort into it doesn't pay off because you always want to make more

>> No.12097305

>>12097268
Does adding sugar really make a difference? I've been making them without and I think they're turning out alright but maybe I'm missing something here..

>> No.12097333

>>12097305
definitely man
all restaurant fried rice will have a little sugar in it
so many Chinese dishes, Thai dishes, Japanese dishes,etc in general have a little sugar in them

it doesn't even have to be a sweet dish, it's just for balance.

Like even 1/2 a tsp, or 1/4 of a tsp, will make a difference and play up the savory aspect of it.

>> No.12097338

also, brown sugar (or grated palm sugar if you can be bothered, i generally can't) is better than white imo