[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 51 KB, 696x432, free-range-chicken-696x432.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11872142 No.11872142 [Reply] [Original]

Is free range a meme? Legitimate question. Either my experience with free ranged products has been shit, or it all tastes the same and it's just a way to instill a mark up on customers.

>> No.11872165

>>11872142
Free range is a corporate term since people started a campaign against caged animals raised for consumption.

What people are thinking is pasture raised, which is free roaming livestock like a traditional farm. Free range means the animal isn't caged up but the facilities are still just as crowded so it doesn't make much difference.

So it's pretty much the reason why free range isn't much better than the other stuff.

Pasture raised/ organic stuff is too expensive with the system that we have now. We'd have to overhaul to see any significant quality changes. I personally think that the system over produces and should focus on quality but I am really not qualified to judge.

>> No.11872260
File: 241 KB, 1049x699, dpi-12258610.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11872165
>. Free range means the animal isn't caged up but the facilities are still just as crowded so it doesn't make much difference

It makes a huge difference. If some places cheat and still mistreat animals, it doesn't mean we can't support ethical farms which give the cows decent outdoor lives.

I will personally pay more for grass fed beef, so the cows can have some days in the sun, at least.

>> No.11872285

>>11872260
But the thing is, the problem isn't the call for free range. The issue is lobbyists who are in the pockets of corporations like Tyson who allow the definition of "Free Range" to protect unethical facilities.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of free range. There is a lot wrong with how we define it and execute it in the real world. You would have to push for Pasture raised to get them to change anything but it's going to hurt the bottom line of a lot of big names and they won't allow it to happen.

>> No.11872346
File: 24 KB, 280x280, riserva-bes-cornapiana_5~-~767w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11872285
I agree with that comment. But-

A. Most of the beef that even goes into McDonald's and etc is pasture raised, grain finished, so even those guys get some glorious time in the sun.

B. You can as a consumer do some research and find a good company that doesn't just mislabel factory farmed meat. You can buy local, you can import from Australia. Lot of options negro.

But yes, lot of big companies are corrupt like you mentioned, no disagreement.

>> No.11872363

>>11872346
My statement wasnt about beef specifically. I also think an easier solution to importing from Australia as a consumer is to just buy locally.

On a large scale you need political support and for Peta to shut their mouths so a campaign can get off the ground.

>> No.11872379

>>11872346
>>11872363
Australian here, why do you fucks want our beef?

>> No.11872384

Yes it's a meme. If you gave a shit about how the chicken was treated then you probably should just go vegan

>> No.11872436
File: 507 KB, 2560x1742, 101788-babar_car-original-1370942834.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In NZ all cattle is grass fed free range

and free range chicken/ eggs taste significantly better and are worth paying for on taste alone

and pigs are so smart that i like to buy free range pork when i can to help them out but i'll eat pork at chinese restaurants sometimes which isn't.

>> No.11872515

>>11872379
Also Australian, I would like to know too.

>> No.11872605

>>11872142
Pasture-fed and free range can be completely different. You want chickens that walk around out in a pasture and eat lots of vegetation, insects, and whatever else they can catch. Finding chickens for eating that have gone through that sort of life is a bit difficult. Most companies can use bare minimums like letting chickens out into a concrete yard and feeding them pellet feed.

The main taste differences in a single breed of animal will be what they eat. Thus, changing their diet will change their flavor, but only to a certain degree. Different breeds of animals will taste slightly different between each other. Being able to tell the difference might be difficult depending on what the diet was and how the meat is being prepared and seasoned. Some breeds, usually the most expensive, will taste wildly different from the normal breeds. For instance a broad breasted white turkey won't be nearly as good as an expensive bourbon red turkey. The same goes with Rock x Cornish chickens and a few of the jungle breeds. In stores the type of chicken is almost always a broiler breed which taste less flavorful from the other breeds especially the jungle breeds. The broiler breeds are bred specifically for size.

>> No.11872776

>>11872379
>>11872515
I can speak personally, buying Aussie import lamb the stuff is so fresh and non-frozen when I buy it, plus eating raw/rare Aussie lamb gives me a physical high unlike an other food I have ever eaten, so your ranchers are doing something right. (They are also over-producing etc) but I am only one person, and I'm not in charge.

Maybe your ranchers really let the cows and sheep live outside in the sun, eating grass, and other countries they just lie about it, and don't really raise the animals in a natural way. Just guessing on that.

>> No.11872789

free range farms usually lose one chick a day to predator animals like fox or Bird

>> No.11872792

Worked at a co op in the midwest and all of he meat was from local organic farms in southern Minnesota and Wisconsin. I always found the meat to taste a lot better than the usual shit I get at Walmart. Too bad I could only afford it when I was employed with a 20% off discount. So many milf shoppers (and a couple co workers) too..

>> No.11872804

>>11872605
I don't even believe in eating chicken, at all. Grocery shopping I never buy chicken (of course I did before when I was a SAD diet cuck)

I do eat eggs, organic cage free eggs, but I figure these chickens get to live pretty decent lives eating bugs and worms and all the stuff they love. That's a pretty decent deal, so I pay for these chickens to live the "almost" good life, and thanks for the eggs chickens.

(I will eat chicken if it's served at a party, not a preachy vegan about these things in public)

>> No.11872878

>>11872142
it increases the cost without adding value. yeah, its a meme.

>> No.11872882

>>11872260
so you want the cows to have a day or two of happiness before they're viciously murdered.
that's so ethical. vegans btfo.

>> No.11872940

>>11872142
Overpriced. If they were similar priced to the other eggs I would probably buy them, but I'm definitely not paying 10 bucks for a fucking dozen eggs when I could pay 3 bucks for the same shit.

>> No.11872976

guise guise xDDDD
guys is it a meme XDDDD
get it guys haha memes amirite!!
kys my man

>> No.11872980
File: 28 KB, 432x288, 1406751340274.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11872882
No they get 8 to 11 months in the sun. (Or more, years more if they are for milking or breeding)

while your vegan money pays for bulldozers and chemical pesticides which slaughter countless small mammals and reptiles, meanwhile in an Olympics level of logic gymnastics, you claim to "care" about animals.

https://theconversation.com/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

>> No.11872992

Lol Carneyfag is fully steamed

>> No.11872999

>>11872142
It's much more practically ethical and relevant than vegan.

>> No.11873003

>>11872999
>practically ethical
Lazy fat fuck talk

>> No.11873016

>>11872940
Chickens that are allowed to forage for insects and eat wild plants have significantly darker yolks because of additional beta carotene. Sometime's they're almost dark red because of how intense it is.

Whether that translates into taste or nutrition is another matter, but there is a visible difference.

>> No.11873034

>>11872980
I love the flavor of pasture raised dairy cows. Especially the older it gets, flavor develops.

>see Spanish steakhouse
>Only buys old/retired diary/work cows that are pastured raised
>Dry ages, flavor develops well

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/z484aa/why-old-cows-make-the-greatest-steak-dinner

I live in the Central Valley so access to great cows is easy. Any /559/ fags here?

>> No.11873449
File: 176 KB, 1023x682, depositphotos_115020090-stock-photo-herd-of-cows-on-pastute.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To vegans there is no difference between pasture raised cows and the worst factory farming, but (((they))) know the truth about pasture raised cows would hurt the vegan propaganda, so they never mention this to their followers.

Vegans only show the worst scenes from factory farming and slaughter houese, because this is the strongest trauma propaganda they can use.

Vegans literally traumatize 11 year old girls, as (((their strategy))) with zero hesitation.

>> No.11873456
File: 175 KB, 1095x626, BCC98E9E-3ACD-4CC5-B648-474A19CB20CF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>is slaughtering an innocent creature because it has a funny label a meme?
Yes

>> No.11873472

>>11872142
Depends on what you mean.
The bare minimum needed to meet the legal requirement for "free range" is pretty meaningless, and many products choose that option.

There are also farmers who go well above the legal definition of "free range", and their product is generally a lot lot better.

>> No.11873483
File: 188 KB, 1125x623, 05C01EBA-8B3C-4166-86C8-FF728F54CD1B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No matter how little land a cow runs on, they still get viciously killed. And the farming of them takes up monumental amounts of land, and it destroys it in the process. Displacing native species, kills off millions of native predators a year, not to count; the foraging of the land, the inevitable grain finish and harvesting which takes up more land, the pesticide use, greenhouse gas emissions, and waste runoff, all of which contributes to more slaughter and suffering for human and non human life alike

>> No.11873508

>>11872260
>I will personally pay more to virtue signal
Like an obedient slave

>> No.11873528

>>11873483
I'm not sure why you're lumping all pasture land into one pot. Sure, some land is highly overgrazed and is an environmental disaster. But there is other land which is not. Here in Texas there is a fuckload of otherwise useless land which cattle is raised on, and there is no harm to the land at all. Quite the contrary, actually. It's impossible to farm that land because it's filled with too many rocks. About the only thing you can do with it is raise cattle or goats. The goats will actually destroy the land though, since they eat the plants down the root, which cows don't. It's not uncommon to have fewer than 1 cow per acre out in west Texas. Pesticides? Herbicides? There are none.

You paint with a very large brush, and it completely undermines your credibility. Industrial scale ag and factory farming are blights on the earth, don't get me wrong. But that doesn't mean ALL farming and ALL ranching is unsustainable. you want to talk about problems with waste runoff? industrial crops have that problem far worse than raising some cattle on scrubland. And you wanna know what has the problem far far worse than that? the mines which provide the minerals used to make the batteries and the chips in all your portable electronics.

>> No.11873640
File: 62 KB, 650x342, 9924D4F9-9129-4539-8C40-30791DB4CD93.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11873528
>But there is other land which is not.
Nothing with what you followed up with follows to what you replied to about overgrazing. Cows are not native and rip up the soil and displace actual native species to their death or their own environmental degradation. Just placing X herbivore doesn’t make something sustainable. You then MUST protect them from predators constantly and the pasture from any species that interferes with the grass and soil which results in constant hunting death
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/pdr/PDR-G_Report.php?fld=&fld_val=

>Quite the contrary, actually. It's impossible to farm that land because it's filled with too many rocks.
Then almost any sea bordering nation would be fucked on the coast. The Aran Islands are a perfect example of rocky land being able to convert to sustainable agriculture. They take seaweed from the nearby sea and use it to enrich the soil to grow crops like potatoes. It’s not as if pasture land hasn’t been modified to become pasture land in some cases like it has in Australia, up to 10% of the land
https://soe.environment.gov.au/theme/land/topic/land-use-and-management

>Pesticides? Herbicides? There are none.
Demonstrably false
https://agrilife.org/extensionento/resources/management-guides/managing-insect-pests-of-texas-forage-crops/hay-and-pasture-insects/

>You paint with a very large brush, and it completely undermines your credibility. Industrial scale ag and factory farming are blights on the earth, don't get me wrong. But that doesn't mean ALL farming and ALL ranching
Your willful ignorance to cattle farming undermines your credibility. It is not a panacea for land use. Quite the opposite

>portable electronics.
And now comes the strawman. Care to explain in detail how this objectively weighs in against cattle farming or do you expect me to just take your word for it? “This is bad too!!” is hardly an argument. Especially since electronics are a necessity

>> No.11873669
File: 606 KB, 2480x2480, EC74A206-F7AC-4DBD-AB87-27EA9B2001AB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1/4 of the methane emissions come from cows, and grass fed cows produce 4x the methane emissions than grain fed, methane at the very least is 25x more potent than carbon dioxide
https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/4072/PDF

Livestock are 18% of global emissions, 5% more than transportation
http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/a0701e/a0701e00.HTM

Animal agriculture is also 65% of anthropogenic emissions of nitrous oxide, 296x more potent than CO2
https://www.eia.gov/environment/emissions/ghg_report/ghg_nitrous.php

>b-but you have a phone

>> No.11873731

>Pesticides? Herbicides? There are none

Lol the absolute delusion
https://youtu.be/mYh9dQqKvFM

>> No.11873770

It makes no difference in taste so who gives a fuck?
t. raised on small farm

>> No.11873801

>>11873669
>Cow farts.

Literally nigger please. Stop wasting your time and get back to work Al Gore is not going to be able to afford another private jet if his libtard braindead supporters don't dig deep.

>Posts a meme from Brazil.

European and American citizens could literally all gmvegan, or all go carnivore, it would have 0.00000% effect on Brazilian decisions and Brazilian trade with China

You veganbots just double down on stupid, every post you make.

>> No.11873818

>>11873801
>herp derp al gore
You have no argument and eradicate any credibility you have left. Refute it or fuck off and cry somewhere else

>posts a meme about pastures being made to destroy a major carbon sequester

Yeah back to your lithium, weirdo. You’re not ready for big boy talk. Stay BTFO

>> No.11873829
File: 59 KB, 500x268, 5A084EF4-8214-4933-B3EB-56A0FDE3D876.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lol just cowfarts bro, my schizophrenic delusions are way cooler!

>> No.11873858

>>11873818

Don't feed the trolls. Some people have no interest in an argument and should only be ignored.

>> No.11873883

>>11873818
Let me be clear I don't need an "argument" to laugh at retarded brainwashed zombies in a starvation cult. I just watch and laugh as your comrades anhero, die on mount Everest and quit your cult.

You literally screaming about how much you love animals when you pay all your food money to corporations who will use it on bulldozers and chemical pesticides.

You don't give a fuck about animals. Thank God you idiots are starving yourselves to death at least

https://theconversation.com/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659
t.

>> No.11873892

>>11873883
Lol remember when your dumb mentally ill ass said pastures used no pesticides? That was funny.

>> No.11873896

>>11873858
Vegans can ignore me and they can ignore reality, but they can't avoid the rapidly ageing zombie they see in the mirror as the vegan years go by...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6JBICT9OQ4

>> No.11873900

>>11873858
It tried having a discussion at first. But as soon as it got information that refuted it, the other personality took over. I feel bad for it.

>> No.11873903

>>11873640
>Nothing with what you followed up with follows to what you replied to about overgrazing.
Sure it does. Because I stated that it's possible to raise cows without overgrazing. It's really simple: you just don't put too many cows on what land you have.

>>You then MUST protect them from predators constantly
Most ranchers around here just keep a donkey with the cattle. Problem solved.

>>Then almost any sea bordering nation would be fucked on the coast.
Yes. and? so what?

>>Demonstrably false
I don't spray on any of my land. Neither do the neighbors. some places choose to, but it's far from necessary.

>>Your willful ignorance to cattle farming undermines your credibility
I've been in the business for 28 years. How about you?

>> Care to explain in detail how this objectively weighs in against cattle farming
It has nothing to do with cattle farming. It's a new issue that I'd like you to address.

>>Especially since electronics are a necessity
They're no more or less a necessity than meat is. you don't NEED your social media any more than your average fatty NEEDS his hamburger.

>> No.11873907

>>11873892
Remember when your teeth fell out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nf7wAMwfrw

>> No.11873925

>>11873903
Love it when a sub-100 IQ vegan who watched a vegan propaganda show on Netflix tells a professional with years in the business, "he knows nothing"

The one valid point is the predators, if anyone has a
Valid complaint it would be wolves not the pampered cows.

(Factory farmed animals have major valid complaint no argument on that)

>> No.11873932

>>11873903
>without overgrazing
That doesn’t stop it from degrading the overall soil content or displacing native species

>Most ranchers around here just keep a donkey with the cattle. Problem solved.
So now you have to protect even more? Sounds like an even bigger problem

>Yes. and? so what?
Uhhh did you not bother reading anything after that?

>I don't spray on any of my land. Neither do the neighbors. some places choose to, but it's far from necessary.
Sure. You live a little fantasy life where weeds, pests, and predators don’t exist despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Okay

>ive been in the business for 28 years
And you didn’t even realize that pasture land isn’t unsuitable for crops, that cows are not native and displace native species, that most ranchers use pesticides and herbicides? Is that business a virtual reality simulator?

>has nothing to do with cattle farming. It's a new issue that I'd like you to address.
Address what? I asked you to explain it since you clearly seem to know its effects stacked up against cattle farming specifically

>They're no more or less a necessity than meat is. you don't NEED your social media any more than your average fatty NEEDS his hamburger.
You need electronics. I didn’t say anything about social media. You don’t even need beef let alone a hamburger

>> No.11873956
File: 53 KB, 403x448, 546C5968-9A64-472E-8D34-1ACAA60DF7DA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11873925
>Love it when a sub-100 IQ vegan who watched a vegan propaganda show on Netflix tells a professional with years in the business, "he knows nothing"

>proceeds to argue against le ebin smart farmer saying predators arent a problem
lol fucking idiot

>> No.11874045

>>11873932
I need to keep eating meat just to sustain the vegan tears. Doesn't really make sense though, when vegans literally kill 25x more animals than I do. (1 cow per year based on my beef consuming)

You literally kill 25x more animals than I do, while screaming about how much you love animals.

>> No.11874054

>>11873956
I'm an idiot but why are your depleted vegan teeth falling out Mr Genius??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nf7wAMwfrw

>> No.11874064
File: 31 KB, 601x508, CCEBF35E-5FFB-4399-BFEF-37639A58562A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I need to keep eating meat just to sustain the vegan tears.

*spends another 20 hours on 4chan scouring for vegan threads*

>> No.11874078
File: 260 KB, 506x899, 1549436873194.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11874064
>If I cry more vegan tears he'll go away....

>> No.11874091

>>/ck/?task=search&ghost=yes&search_text=Youtube+vegan

Lol you can LITERALLY find any hour of the day to see something like this getting posted. Nice fucking “””””life””””” LMAO

>> No.11874771

The egg yolk is darker in free range eggs I noticed. Also free range eggs have more Vitamin D from being in the sun. I'd rather pay slightly more for eggs that were the result of a more natural life than the McEggs of stressed out chicken held in cages indoors.