[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 541 KB, 1500x1000, riceandbeans.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11503834 No.11503834 [Reply] [Original]

What are /ck/'s favorite struggle meals?
Post them here.
I am having money problems for the first time in a while and I need to resort to struggle meals.
I've been making rice and beans and I'm just tearing through my 50lb bag of white rice and my canned beans.
Like I said, I it's been a while since I've been totally broke, so I've got pretty much any seasoning or sauce that I need.
Cookwear/ Equipment
>any pot or pan I could need
>slow cooker
>instant pot/ "express cooker" (purchased years after)
>decent knife set
>kitchen aid (x2)
>grain mill attachment
>pasta attachment
>juicer attachment
>a fucking fondue pot (this is fundamentally retarded to list, but bonus points if you can figure out a struggle fondue)
>a cheese grater (listed because some people don't have one and block cheese is cheaper. I realize cheese shouldn't really be on this list, but I love the stuff)
In my pantry there is some basic stuff that I've stockpiled
>aforementioned 50elbow bag of rice
>baking flower and sugar
>about 150 packs of ramen that I will never touch under normal circumstances
>some potatoes (need to buy more)
>4.5 28oz jars of crunchy peanut butter
>10elbow bag of pancake mix
>27 boxes of assorted pasta, about half is penne
>about 84 packets of pre-seasoned oatmeal, various flavors
>2 jars of mayo
>breadcrumbs (panko and italian)
>beans (dried kidney, lentil, and lima)
>a lot of fucking canola oil (I don't usually fry stuff but am open to it. Grease disposal at home is a pain to me)
>hella eggs (fridge)
In addition to this, I do have a little bit of expendable cash to spend on groceries. Chicken breast is often buy one get one where I am.
While I am well aware that I could survive off this shit alone for pure calories, but I am looking to the creative side of /ck/ to help me find a way to make this taste good. I need a few good pasta recipies, I have too much fucking pasta.

tl;dr I am about to be broke and have some shit to burn through.

>> No.11504116

If only you got paid by the word

>> No.11504323
File: 874 KB, 3200x2368, groceries.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So if you're looking to save money I recommend Blue Apron. Sometimes I like to play "frugal" and buy everything at the grocery store to cook from scratch. People don't believe it but it's actually not cheaper to buy groceries vs. just a delivery service like Blue Apron, the reason BA is cheaper is that it uses lower quality ingredients, for instance the meat isn't even dry aged.

But it's also just fun to go shopping like a "regular normal guy". One time I made a hamburger at home, which is rather rare due to the amount of fuss for the introduction of carnist ingredients into my kitchen, and the related decontamination process that must happen. So I took pictures because I hadn't made a burger in a long time. Haven't made one since either.

>> No.11504331

>>11504323
What in tarnation are you talking about?

>> No.11504339
File: 11 KB, 320x240, 1517176940354.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11503834

>10elbow bag of pancake mix

Luxury. I get by on the 5 elbow bags.

>>11504116

Fpbp.

>> No.11504406
File: 364 KB, 309x498, 1539944136341.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11503834
Barely risotto and braised stew beef
Succotash
Chili but you already knew that
Arroz con poyo Spanish style with chicken thighs
Look up bread making it's cheap and easy and having flour on hand is something you should have anyway
Plain shortbread cookies if you want something sweet they are easy to make and again you probably have most everything for them already if not you should
For the rice you can make it good 100 different ways look up Jolloff rice it's made from scrappy animal cuts (traditionally it's like goat and shit but you can substitute beef instead) it's essentially jambalaya
Look up gumbo recipes it's filling requires a little finesse but the sausage for it is hella cheap at least around me and everything else is intended to be cheaper things like baby shrimp and fish scraps
Get oats and look up granola for breakfast with homemade yogurt you turn the $1 yogurt into how ever much you need with any leftover milk
Look up kidneys, liver and sweetbreads for chicken and pork they are cheap as fuck because nobody knows what to do with them but if you take the time to look it up they are great with a little effort

>> No.11504544

Spaghetti Carbonara
>cook bacon
>cook pasta
>beat 2 eggs
>slowly mix some starchy pasta water into beaten eggs like a custard
>mix it all with cheap parmesan and black pepper

boom, had that every saturday night as a poor kid.

>> No.11504552

Just fyi, “struggle meals” is a term for lame college aged girls.

>> No.11504582

Cabbage, onions, potatoes, carrots and sausage/ground beef.

Its dirt cheap and if you slice/time everything right it comes out delicious. I use plenty of butter and white vinegar.

Pot roasts/stews with root vegetables (turnips are dank in pot roast) are cheap and save time.

Spaghetti with meat sauce is easy and fairly cheap.

Cream of wheat with a spoonful or two of jam and some butter is a good breakfast.

Try to get discounted bread/meat on sale when you shop on weekends, and cook it the same day. Buy cheap meat when you see it and freeze what you cant eat right away.

I eat pretty damn good meals on about 75 dollars a week. Fairly healthy too. I love food and cooking and refuse to settle for bullshit, gave up drinking so a good meal is what i look forward to after a long day.

>> No.11504623

If I was poor I would just eat oats.

>> No.11504628

>>11504582
>75 dollars a week
C'mon man, be responsible.

>> No.11504647

>>11504628
Is that a lot or a little?

>> No.11504740

>>11503834
Any cheap, boxed pasta and red/spaghetti sauce

>> No.11504916

>>11503834
>Request thread
Yeah nah, lurk more faggot and git gud

>> No.11504965

>>11503834
I didn't know this was a board for broke boys lmao

>> No.11505033

>>11504647
It's enough to eat decently, if you don't mind limited variety

>> No.11505058

Favorite dish of mine is chicken and dumplings. Buying chicken quarters is 6usd for 10lbs, and the dumplings are just flour and, baking powder, I think. You can make more than a gallon of it and, personally, I like reheating it because the Dumplings I didn't eat melt into the soup and thicken it up

>> No.11505900

>>11504623
based and redpilled

>> No.11505908

>>11505900
based and oatmeal'd

>> No.11505940

1 cup of cooked beans (I like chick peas, red kidneys are nice, to)
1/4 cup of rolled oats
2 teaspoons of cornstarch
Mash all that together in a bowl. Pour a little of the aqua faba (bean juice) in if it feels a bit dry.
Let the mix sit for about 30 so it binds together a little better.
Season with a bit of salt and whatever spices you like/have handy (smoked paprika and cumin give a nice kind of chili/bbq flavor)
Shape it into balls or patties and fry, or brush with oil and put them under the broiler until they're brown and crispy.
Nice cheap, tasty addition that's got good protein and fiber.

>> No.11506299

>>11503834
Chicken heart curry. 1 kilo of hearts will run you $2 at most. Two big onions. A tin of crushed tomatoes. One carrot. Some oil, salt, pepper, curry powder, paprika. Maybe a stock cube.

>> No.11506689

>>11503834
Fasting.
time to stop being afraid of hunger.

>> No.11507259

>>11503834
rice