[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 247 KB, 1254x688, kn_20ramsay_20eating_20pizza.0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11375907 No.11375907 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone actually been to a restaurant that was an absolute travesty?
They're so rare I'm not sure how many actually exist.

>> No.11375975

>>11375907
I have. It's called Maritza's Cafe and it's in Maple Shade, NJ.
My girlfriend and I had the misfortune to order open-face sandwiches there (mine turkey, hers roast beef), a side (baked macaroni and cheese for me, fried eggplant for her) and mashed potatoes. Both meals came with cranberry sauce.
Food arrives. Hers *looks* reasonable, with cold-cut style roast beef rather than actual roast but it's New Jersey and we're used to garbage like creamed chipped beef on scrapple so it gets a pass.
Camera pan over to mine and the gravy is yellow, like bright queasy lemon-egg yolk yellow. It's also neatly deposited in the center of my mashed potatoes, same as hers. Needless to say, it was awful.
We try the potatoes and conclude they were either made with sour milk or too much sour cream, because they're completely off. Her deep-fried eggplant shows up and on first glance you'd think it was a McDonald's chicken sandwich patty, it's so clearly out of the freezer.
At this point we're both eyeing my mac and cheese, thinking "surely they can't have ruined it," but Maritza's managed to pull a hat trick because it was just as terrible as everything else they'd served us.
The cherry on top was that the "cranberry sauce" was a literal Wendy's ketchup-size plastic cup with a sliver of the stuff out of the can. It felt like an apology, like "we're sorry we can't cook, so here's half an ounce of something we're literally unable to ruin."
Never going back as long as I live.

>> No.11376004

>>11375907
I used to work for GameWorks in Las Vegas, which is like Dave & Busters before that was really a thing. It was owned by SEGA, and had fallen by the wayside as the weird trend of trying to make Vegas family friendly died out. So now it was just basically a moderate arcade over a lot of real estate, with a restaurant tucked in the back that was showing its age.

I'm not the pickiest eater in the world. In my opinion, it's normally pretty hard to fuck up some tendies, a burger, or just your standard bar food. Honestly, the food was completely non-palatable. Like, spit it out and wonder if you're going to get sick kind of food. I offended the shit out of the cook when she heard me say it.

The most I could handle was the caesar salad, which I think is the most impossible thing to fuck up.

>> No.11376458

>>11375907
kill yourself op

>> No.11376469

>>11375907
Do you live in Europe or a big city OP? Because most small towns only have shitty restaurants. Every time i visit my gf in downtown chicago it's all amazing though.

>> No.11376497

Never really been to a restaurant that was extremely bad for what I expected. I mean even soemthing like Mc Donald's, it's not good but it does what it claims to do for a low price.
I have seen a few restaurants that made some mistakes though.

>> No.11376703

I live in Denver and restaurant in OP is actually god tier now.