[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 118 KB, 1280x720, 1538613817354.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11320998 No.11320998 [Reply] [Original]

About to do the unthinkable: ask 4chan for advice. I'm 18 and I'm about to start my first job as a dishwasher at this place called tower club. So, any advice for how I can be efficient, do well and maybe even grow professionally in the kitchen environment? Pic related in the slightest way possible

>> No.11321027

>>11320998
Be punctual, friendly and thorough.

>> No.11321056

>>11320998
Eventually they will be really busy and ask you to help cook. Probably just a pizza at first.

>> No.11321057

>>11320998
Be 10 minutes early every day, never miss a day, make friends with the cooks, ask them to teach you

>> No.11321066

I just did dishwashing. First of all, it's great for making lasting friendships.
You should
>help everyone at the beginning
>slowly differentiate between helping people and enabling the lazy
>try to negotiate secret meals with the kitchen
>start out on the hose, it's the one station you have to master
>be humble and ask for help if you have an older coworker
>don't fuck any women you work with
>try not to get scheduled every thursday, friday, or saturday. morning shifts are great
>if there's a big holiday coming up don't get overanxious about the number of reservations, managers will send help and you'll be fine
>try to get along with one manager
>as long as you aren't abrasive your coworkers will like you, the industry is full of dicks and simply being nice elevates you
>don't take someone's shift more than once in a month

it's a great job. you'll enjoy it immensely if you can be patient and not let things get to you

>> No.11321073

show up early, stay after hours, work hard and concentrate on the task at hand

>> No.11321101

>>11321066
Good shit man. Thanks

>> No.11321440

>>11320998
Don't smoke crack or meth on the clock and you'll be one of the best employees.

>> No.11321594

>>11320998
Eat all the uneaten food on the plates. You'll never have to pay for food.

>> No.11322122

>>11320998
You from the 805? When I worked at a restaurant sometimes they would ask me to dish wash. The managers liked me so much they would get me gift cards to other food places just for doing the shifts. My #1 piece of advice would be: Don't vocalize your complaints. Nobody wants to hear it, and your job is incredibly easy. It may be frustrating dealing with people who do not care about where they set the dishes or just run back and leave their shit then run back out, but you get paid to take care of that so just suck it up. Learn were the dishes are placed after washing and try to make sure things go in their proper places once washed. You don't have to smile at your fellow employees (except your managers) but keep a good cheerful attitude with them. Expect some banter, be able to handle it, and dish it out. Make sure the plates and silverware are clean with no bits of cheese or other shit stuck on them. Always listen to other peoples advice and take into consideration what they suggest. Don't wear headphones or be on your phone when working for say around the first 2-3 months. If you're lucky there will be a radio in the back, I ended up bringing my aux cord and plugging in my phone to bump some tunes once people got to know me better. Don't panic when there is a rush or you get overloaded with pans or dishes. Take things one at a time, and you will finish before you know it. Befriend a cook or two and be nice to all of them, the Mexicans I worked with appreciated the talk and stress relief. Probably the funniest thing to happen to me when I was working was when the lead cook came back singing one of the songs I had playing. Just show up and don't be a cunt and people will like you. Sorry for the blog post.

>> No.11322273

>>11322122
No problem man, the more advice the better. Thanks a lot

>> No.11322284

>>11320998
Show up and show up early, don't be a cunt, don't disappear during service, offer help for prep and shit when you have nothing to wash and you'll be 10 times better than 99% of dishwashers out there.

>> No.11322308

>>11320998
Be useful to your manager (without being an ass kisser). If they give you a task, even if it's something you don't want to do, just nod and do it instead of coming up with excuses. This goes for any job, if your boss actually likes you it makes your job 10 times easier.

>> No.11322310

>>11321066
This is great advice, couldn't have said it better myself
If you want to pickup tricks and progress, go watch the cooks whenever possible and ask for tips and explanations if they aren't to busy. A knowledge of the menu, kitchen layout, and ingredients puts you feet above any external applicants for a cook position,even if your cooking skills are still developing. Managers are lazy, and the less they have to train people the better.
Of course, many people like dishwashing as a comfy job while going through school, you don't need to learn anything other then the pit if you don't want to cook at some point. If youre just starting out, focus on dishes, cleaning, trash, and whatever anyone tells you to do really.
Good luck anon, and enjoy the experience
T. Dishie for two years, moved up to line cook at same place, still there

>> No.11322318

>>11320998
Best chef in the world, puts lettuce and tomato under the patty preventing the bun from absorning and flavor. Makes way too thick a patty.

Sad!

>> No.11322324

I started on dish about 3 years ago, now I'm working sauté.

Show up 15 minutes early every day.
No days off. No drugs during service.
Work hard, work clean, and work fast.
Don't fucking complain.
Watch the cooks work, and try to learn whenever possible.
Ask questions.
Do as you're told.
Move with purpose.
Fast hands, fast feet.
If given a prep project, produce. Every time you do it, do it faster and better.
Be humble, but don't be afraid to defend yourself.
Become like a brother to your sous chef.
Be aware of the situation, you need to be ready to step up at any moment.

>> No.11322325

>>11322310
Also, especially if this is your first job, workplaces are way less formal then you are expecting(barring a shit boss), feel free to partake in banter where appropriate.

>> No.11322332

I hated dishes.
I much prefer working at Arby's, or would any place similar.

Even if it sucks, have a positive attitude, and work at a decent pace (don't over do yourself) no one likes working with a spoilsport.

>> No.11322456

>>11322318
>best chef in the world
also in the video he was high as a kite

>> No.11322551

>>11322318
>bun absorbs "flavour"
>becomes soggy
what now

>> No.11322558

>>11320998
you naturally grow, I was a dishwasher for a greek restaurant at your age and some fridays were so busy they had me dress the ice cream too. Once I did a good job of that they had me occasionally prepare dishes and such, and eventually you move up.

Just be a little bit cautious, some cooks are scared of losing their job and will give bad advice but overall with me they were nice and taught me a lot.

I quit because I was a lazy ass