[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 69 KB, 284x264, ZoomerDance2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11254492 No.11254492 [Reply] [Original]

Look bros, the short of it I am living on my own now and my mommy never fed me any vegetables. I was a picky little brat and probably wouldn't have eaten them anyway, but what's done is done, and I need to move on. The problem is I don't really like any vegetables.

I can stomach carrots as long as they don't have that hyper-bitter soapy taste. Right now I'm trying to train myself to like spinach, I just grab a handful of raw leaves and stuff them in my mouth. Is this a good method for forcing yourself to like new foods? There's a pungent aftertaste to spinach that makes me not want to eat anymore, will that go away?

Also, my biggest problem is the fucking smell of some of these foods. I go to put it in my mouth, the smell triggers a gag reflex and it's over from there. Is this something that can be overcome? I want to eat broccoli, but I steamed some and the fucking smell was just too horrific, I ended up throwing all of it out.

Also, I'm not one of these homos who is going to spend nine hours preparing food, I like to just jam the shit in my mouth and go. So I don't want to hear some weird recommendations about how to prepare this shit. Got it?

>> No.11254498

Abandon the notion of liking and disliking. Just put food in your mouth and eat it. Feelings are a spook.

>> No.11254499

If you're going to eat them raw you could put some dressing on it and eat it as a salad. You might have overcooked the broccoli. It gets a gross taste and smell when you overcook it.

>> No.11254502
File: 360 KB, 600x475, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11254492
>Right now I'm trying to train myself to like spinach, I just grab a handful of raw leaves and stuff them in my mouth.
uh, what the fuck?

Let me put this so your autistic ass can understand.

If you want to like a food, cook it in a way that you like, keep eating it like that and you'll eventually get used to the taste.

Do people like beer or black coffee their first time or when they rarely drink it? No, it took a lot of bad times to get to the good ones

>> No.11254506

>>11254498
That's one hell of a ghost story you're telling me

>> No.11254510

>>11254502
Yeah, but the problem is I don't know how I like vegetables. I've never really eaten them.

>> No.11254511

>>11254492
Man up.

>> No.11254512

>>11254510
>what is google
>what is trying different things
>what is not being a pussy
>what is sauteing in butter
>what is youtube
Christ, it's like you want to make us think you're retarded on top of being a pussy

>> No.11254513

>>11254492
There's no shame in being selective about what you eat. It just shows you're sensitive. I wouldn't worry about it.

>> No.11254515
File: 116 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11254492

you don't, forcing yourself to enjoy foods you don't like is the definition of tryhard.

this may surprise you but many chefs hate certain foods, the trick is that they don't cook food to taste good to them, they cook food to taste right. this is how you get shit like the disparity in gordon ramsay's burgers where the one he makes himself is vastly different than the ones he makes in his restaurants.

just learn to tolerate foods you hate so you aren't a killjoy at parties, and eat the shit you actually enjoy when you're cooking for yourself.

>> No.11254519

Just add tons of butter.

>> No.11254521

>>11254502

very few people drink beer or coffee because they like the taste, most drink it because it gets them drunk/keeps the awake.

>> No.11254522

>>11254512
But what's the point of eating vegetables if they're only tolerable if I slather them in butter and oxidized oils? Wouldn't I just be better off eating spinach like I'd eat potato chips, just grabbing it straight out of the container and shoving it in my mouth? Obviously a little bit autistic but wouldn't that be better than eating broccoli covered in butter?

>> No.11254531

>>11254492
if you eat something enough times your body learns to accept it. you have a gag reflex because your body doesn't recognize it and thinks it might kill you. just keep eating and you'll learn to tolerate it.

>> No.11254533

>>11254522

yes, most people cover their vegetables in butter and other unhealthy sauces because they don't like the taste.

>> No.11254542

>>11254492
There are disgusting vegetables out there. Especially if done up wrong.
listen to >>11254499.

Try cutting them up into smaller pieces and mixing it into dishes. Try getting fresher stuff. Use smaller amounts at first then increase the amount each time you make the dish.

>> No.11254546

>>11254542
>>11254499

salad is a bad idea for people who don't like vegetables. salads fucking blow

>> No.11254555

>>11254521
Uh, that's 100% false, most of the dudes I know drink beer for the taste, in fact, there's an entire beer culture dedicated purely to the taste of beer, it's called "craft beer"

As I type this out, i am increasingly aware that you're a fucking retard and have no idea what people like

>>11254522
the best way to train for a marathon isn't a marathon, it's to work you way into it, of course, you can train for marathons with marathons, but it'll be harder for pussys to do

And what's wrong with broccolli and brussel sprouts sauted in some virgin olive oil? completely healthy and delicious, eating raw veggies is good, but if you don't like it, don't eat it that way, and if you want to eat it that way, you're going to have to get used to the taste cooked, just cook it less and less and less, and you'll work your way into it

you're thinking too hard lad

>> No.11254558

>>11254546
t. Never Had a Spinach, Egg, Almonds, and Orange Salad

>> No.11254568

Sautéing is the first step.
Realizing that butter is your best friend is the second step. Butter just has a way of improving everything.
Third, is baby steps. If you don't like raw vegetables, then you're going to have to put work into it. Start off with fried/ smothered onions and potatoes. Or slicing a bell pepper so that you can cook an over easy egg inside it. There's a million ways to incorporate vegetables into your diet. but it takes work. There's no magic ingredient that will make vegetable delicious.
Except for butter.

>> No.11254583

What does cooked spinach taste like bros? I really like plain baked potatoes and I see that cooked spinach shrinks a lot when cooked so could I mix that in with the potatoes? Would that taste like dogshit? Or maybe I wouldn't taste it at all?

>> No.11254598

>>11254583
Some people swear by spinach. More people find it disgusting. It has a characteristic weirdo taste that is unlike pretty much anything else, but otherwise it's quite bland.

Try it to test if it's your thing. If it isn't, no regrets.

Otherwise, spinach is just another vegetable, and while veggies are important to a balanced diet, you can freely pick different ones and not torture yourself with spinach if you hate it.

Same story with broccoli.

>> No.11254727

maybe do the opposite of what i did when i willed myself off of my opiate addiction with no outside help
instead of starting with a normal dose and weaning myself down, start with a small dose at a time and"wean" (i know that's not the right word but fuck me if i can remember which one to use) yourself up
like... buy some spinach, blanch and shock it and squeeze out excess water then chop it up. get some fold-over type sandwich baggies and store the spinach in 1tbsp portions in the freezer. cook something you normally like. idk what that could be, but whatever it is, just cook it and add the contents of one spinach bag to it. repeat until it no longer makes you wretch then up it to two bags. then three. then four and so on and so on.

the idea of not like fruits and vegetables is so alien to me, mostly because my native culture eat both in such large quantities and i eat even more than most (about 1kg total per day). maybe find vegetables you actually enjoy. as far as carrots go, try young carrots. shouldn't have that taste you describe as that's most relegated to older, larger carrots. alternately try parsnips. or yams/sweet potatoes (which is the only class of vegetables i fucking hate... fuck sweet potatoes right in their whatever they have instead of a cunt)

>> No.11254761

>>11254498
This is the way to go, liking to eat spinach or not isnt a part of your personality, you just made it so, dont try to put stuff on lists, try to just enjoy the different flavours from a faux objective standpoint, 'i detect this and this' not 'I like this and i dont like this'

>> No.11254776

>>11254492
go on a fast, everything will taste better

>> No.11254795

>>11254492
Stop being such a faggot and realize people eat those foods all everyday. Also, grow the fuck up and harden up, jesus you fucking lilies.

>> No.11254797

>>11254510
Just go to a restaurant/Chinese takeout and order food that got meat and veggies. Problem solved

>> No.11255681

>>11254498
based stirnerposter

>> No.11255690

>>11254492
>hyper-bitter soapy taste.
Pretty sure this sort of reaction to particular foods is a genetic thing

>> No.11255693

>>11254492
what is this meme dance? i recently moved to the burbs and saw two kids standing out in their driveway doing this for like five minutes yesterday.

>> No.11255703

Buy vegetables and cook them in butter or lard with salt and pepper.

>> No.11255704

>>11254555
you're a fucking faggot if you dont think people just drink beer so they can talk about how much beer they drink

>> No.11255737

>>11254498
This is the truth. You're not an animal, you can override your instincts and feelings. That's step one of claiming your agency and becoming a man.

>> No.11255818

>>11255704
I don't you fucking mongrel, like I said, most people over the age of 18 drink beer for the taste, if you want to get drunk, you usually go for a bottle of taaka and a chaser, NO ONE drinks beer to talk about how much beer they drink, that is fucking retarded

>> No.11255923

>>11255693
It’s called flossing if I remember correctly.