[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 100 KB, 1300x867, 71628554-waiter-and-waitress-serving-drinks-in-a-hotel-restaurant[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11192273 No.11192273 [Reply] [Original]

How much should someone who's just starting out in a waiter/serving job expect to make, in total?

I took a job a couple months ago as a breakfast host at a Hilton in my college town. I...don't think I'm making what I should be...

>> No.11192287

>>11192273
>I...don't think I'm making what I should be...
Oh boy it's yet another bait thread by someone in the service industry trying to trick people into "muh no money".
Let's see OP
1. You're in a college town, that means there is a constant surplus of work; which means your probably going to be at the state level for min wage on average. So as long as your employer is making your Hours worked = min wage, you should be fine.
2. You are a breakfast host, most Hilton don't have too much of wait staff for these and a lot of people tend to just skip out. The bigger tips usually come at night and around the bar, look to changing your hours to busier times
3. We have no idea the effort you are putting in, for all we know you're coming in basically hungover or tired and doing the bare minimum
4. Most people who do wait staff at hotels have another job they work

There are a ton of possibilities to this as well.

>> No.11192321
File: 522 KB, 500x737, ▄█ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11192287
Oh. Well good post, thanks anon.

I definitely think it's a stupid, quite unskilled job and tipping is an absolutely retarded concept, period. But out of all the low-tier jobs I've had prior (grocery store cashier/bagger, line cook) I never quite realized how nicely the expectation of tips can raise up your earning potential.

However all your points are right; there's only one other host(ess) if I'm not the only one scheduled that day, but she always gives me the credit card tips because she claims she makes sufficiently more than me, hourly (lol). Also true that I often come in tired, don't try very hard. But I'm friendly enough and let slide the people who skip out, and get plenty of tips as long as there's decent volume of guests - which there isn't, a lot of the time

But this morning I considered going and asking for a raise; I took my rough average paycheck amount in my mind and imagined what a 20% hourly pay bump would look like, and then it hit me that tips are what's providing a lot of the moolah in my check. A whopping 20% pay raise would barely do shit to my total earnings! So I just don't know how most of my fellow serverbros game this. I'd have to be making like $16/hr just to make an appreciable dent on my paycheck.

>> No.11192362

>>11192321
>I definitely think it's a stupid, quite unskilled job and tipping is an absolutely retarded concept, period.
Okay go work at a place like mcdonalds where you don't get any tips and just flat min wage most likely.

>there's only one other host(ess) if I'm not the only one scheduled that day
Fun fact a woman will make more than any dude in the service industry by default.

Even so, you're still working an unskilled job in a college town. There is 0 reason for them to give you a raise especially when tips are a huge method of making money

If you're working in the Hilton then it a good start to getting into some other industry job that will probably pay a bit more. Working breakfast shift is just fucking garbo this should be a red flag from the start, and if you are male you are at another disadvantage. Just shop around for another place, if you are good and willing to work shifts like nights/weekends you should be pulling in 200/night easy

>> No.11192373

>writing walls of text about being a tip scammer
It’s not that complex faggots

>> No.11192439
File: 91 KB, 687x1000, mario-lopez-.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11192362
One of my neighbors looks exactly like Mario Lopez wiith a thick Cuban accent, he makes fuckin' baaaank from Wine Aunts downtown. Lot of these tabs are reaching $300-500 bucks easy so you can do the math.

So isn't always women.

>> No.11192453

>>11192439
>an outstandingly handsome guy who works in a womans place gets mad tips

No shit. Did you not get the fact it was about the general population?

>> No.11192581

Here's a tip for ya: go back to school

>> No.11192628

>>11192273
About $10 an hour seems reasonable.

>> No.11192634

>>11192581
OP here, I actually have dual engineering degrees :)

I quit to try & start my own business. In crypto/bitcoin. Basically, that hasn't worked out lol.........so I figure if I'm already back to wagecucking, might as well do it for an engineer's pay.

Honestly though, in some ways I like the server gig more than my old full-time engineering job that paid $30/hr.

>> No.11192779

>>11192287
>muh no money
Depends on the place. Diner waitresses dont make much money while a waiter at a fine dining restaurant in manhattan will probably have a comfy income.

>> No.11192814

>>11192581
t. 27 year old pencil pushing retard that thinks he has it all figured out with his basic bitch bachelor's degree and feels the need to tell everyone how they should live there lives.
Sound about right?

>> No.11192824

>>11192814
>there lives
Definitely need to go back to school.

>> No.11192828

>>11192824
>being a grammar nazi on fucking 4chan
Go back to faceberg, and 2009 facebook at that.

>> No.11192836

>>11192828
>doesn’t know the difference between spelling and grammar.
Definitely go back to school.
Retard.

>> No.11192868

>>11192836
I know the difference between "there, their and theyre" but its 5am in the morning so i dont give a shit at all. Also shouldn't you be getting ready to push pencils today? :^)

>> No.11192869

>>11192634
>OP here, I actually have dual engineering degrees :)
>I quit to try & start my own business. In crypto/bitcoin.
holy fuck how are you such a cocksucking dumb mother fucker and an engineer at the same time jesus fucking christ and why are you working at a hotel and not as an engineer

>>11192836
technically it's a grammar mistake, he spelled there correctly, it just wasn't the right their to be there. They're probably ESL.

>> No.11192943
File: 83 KB, 550x543, 1532444742827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>im a host, why aren't i making server wages