[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 76 KB, 633x640, 63.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11093787 No.11093787 [Reply] [Original]

Could someone people do one of those 'cook with' threads for making rice? No matter how hard I try to make rice, I always end up with hard, mushy, soggy rice. This is incredibly frustrating.

pic unrelated

>> No.11093792

>>11093787
How do you cook your rice? What kind of rice do you use?

>> No.11093794

>>11093792
long grain, gas stove top

>> No.11093795

>>11093787
sounds like you drop it into boiling water without measuring it. you start with cold water and measuring it

>> No.11093797

>>11093787
Hard and mushy/soggy... Wow.
That's almost as stupid as this thread.

>> No.11093923

>>11093787
Wash your rice

>> No.11093939

>>11093787
1 1/2 - 2 cups of water for every one cup of rice is the standard way to do it i believe.

>> No.11093940
File: 396 KB, 675x675, OVKNpSA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A basic rice cooker, of the smallest 1 person variety that even on it's own is able to also cook chicken, bake small cakes, etc in one pot as well as cook rice will run you as little as 15 dollars. You just need an on off function.

Go buy a bulk bag of jasmine rice. Look for the bigger bags. Go to to the asian mart and drop 25 bucks when you're ready to invest.

Pour in some rice. You don't even need to measure the shit. Put maybe an inch. Maybe two. How hungry are you? Are you feeding two people? Are you making fried rice?

Wash your fucking rice. Just rinse that shit in some running water, pouring the water out and agitating with your hand, atleast three times. Don't worry about it running clear, we're looking for "Good", not "perfect"

Now, to measure. Drain your rice out of the water. Just tilt the pot. be careful. use your hands. It's okay. You can touch it. Level it out. now add water, slowly. You want to put your finger in the water, and touch the even level of the rice on the surface. Look at the difference of the rice to the surface of the water. You want like to the just under your first nuckle of your pointer finger. You might mess this up once. You will learn. It's okay.

Put the rice in the rice cooker. Press the button for on.

it will click when it's done, or beep, or scream.

eat your perfect 100% amazing rice that is the best rice you can get. 100% consistent. Takes 30 minutes start to finish. Start rice. Then cook your meal. You finish your meal, your rice is done. You did nothing. It is rice. The rice is good. There is no problems with the rice. You did well. You will ALWAYS do well.

>> No.11093942

>>11093787
>>11093923
also depending on how much you wash your rice the stickiness may be effected due to excess starch getting washed out. Try not to overdo it unless you're gay.

>> No.11093944

I like how passing recipes or giving culinary advice is a matter of communication. Funily enough, most people find their own way that work for them at their scale (or are shown one they reproduce) but isn't communicable due to the number of factors taken for granted or obvious.

I was taught to cook rice in a pressure cooker. Works decently well for 4-6 serving. 1 v rice, 1.5 to 2 v water, ten min of pressure cooking, low heat after the hiss.

See how vague this recipe is? What is the volume of rice for one? What if I have to cook for 10 people?

Now I use a rice cooker. It has a cup to measure rice and a rule to fill the corresponding amount of water. I measured it and it boils down to 125 g of rice and 185 g of water for two people. I guess the cooking time is roughly the same.

The factors I identified:
- high heat till it boils, lowest heat then, 10 min. Can burn at the bottom
- heat homogenicity is not a problem for small batches but will fuck big ones (ever seen the huge pans they use for big paellas)
- not rincing rice may lead to foam, if you rince it keep track of water to rice ratio

Or you can boil it in a big pot but I have no experience with this process.

>> No.11093945

>>11093940
just because I'm talking about it I want to talk about my poor college fag stage where I was next to broke and decided to buy a bulk pack of chicken, bone in skin on, just to survive the week. It was good. I cooked it in my rice cooker. I added soy sauce, and garlic, and just turned it on. It cooked perfectly. I also made rice. I lived on this for a week for ~8 bucks. I actually suggest it.

>> No.11094079

>>11093794
>1 cup rice
>2 cups water
>very low boil/simmer
>listen
>uncover when you can't hear it bubbling any longer
wa la

>> No.11094098

>>11094079
this is what i do but i still end up with excess water