[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 38 KB, 600x400, 2l11k2s62.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10697205 No.10697205 [Reply] [Original]

I came upon 1lb of ground venison and a few shoulder chops and was wondering what I should do with them. I plan to just cook the chops like steaks, unless anyone has any other good ideas.

The ground venison is giving me some trouble though. I know I could just make burgers, or chili, or meatballs, but I was wondering if there were any other good options?

It'll be my first time both cooking and eating venison, so any tips would also be helpful.

>> No.10697213

>>10697205
Deer is great for breakfast. Used the ground meat for breakfast burritos

>> No.10697270

Venison often has a "gamey" taste that's best combated with a fruit glaze like pomegranate or even balsamic. Also, I'd strongly recommend a brine and of course fast and high heat on those chops.

>> No.10697517

>>10697270
For sure. Thanks!

>> No.10697763

>>10697205

As a gourmand of fine game meats, let me tell you that ground venison can have a variety of uses. The easiest of which is is what I'd call a midwest mom chili or the the like. Secondarily a ditto to the anon that recommended breakfast burritos. I for one like the "gamey" taste of Venison. Just make sure the chops are clear of tallow, you don't want to eat that waxy, cheesy shit in your chops. Brining is a plus, but even simple salt and pepper seasoning is good enough provided the meat is fresh and you know how to cook a good hunk of meat. Generally my go to for venison is the aforementioned salt & pepper seasoning, with the steak or chop cooked to a nice medium. Take the fond and deglazed with shallots and red wine for a nice pan sauce. Hope this helps!

>> No.10698530

>>10697205
Pan Roasted Venison with Cherries
Servings: 4
4 chunks of venison, cut into pieces
Salt, (optional), to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
Oil, as needed
1 small spoon oil
1/4 cup chopped shallots
½ cup red wine
1 cup stock
½ large spoon flour
1/3 cup dried cherries
Season the venison with salt (if using) and freshly ground pepper.
Heat the oil to sizzling in a pan, add the venison and sear until well browned.
Add the shallots and red wine to the pan and cook, stirring, until the shallots are wilted and the
wine is reduced by half.
Whisk the stock and flour together and whisk into the pan.
Cook until the mixture thickens.
Add the dried cherries to the pan and heat through.
Comment: Both Saxons and Vikings were keen on mixing their sweet and savoury flavours -
this one works really well.

>> No.10698700

>>10697213
Venison burritos, that doesn't sound like bad idea.
>>10698530
Looking up to this recipe