Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/ck/ - Food & Cooking


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 208 KB, 800x600, Pho-Beef-Noodles-2008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10242089 No.10242089 [Reply] [Original]

In both Berlin and France, the top rated asian restaurants on Tripadvisor are Vietnamese. And I've tried them both.
Did it taste good? Sure. But was it spectacular and worth the reputation? Not really.
Their dishes consists of either a few variants of Pho, deep fried stuff, skewered dishes, and some obviously chinese dishes with some extra green garnish. So in general, I think its selection of food is quite limited and not exactly a world class cuisine. Whereas Chinese, Thai and Indonesian offers so much more.
I don't really see how Vietnamese could be represented as much as it is. I've had beef shank soup in Philippines that has tasted just as good as Pho, and there are Chinese restaurants in Berlin that just offers more food that also happens to taste better.

What caused Vietnamese cuisine to become such a big thing?

>> No.10242103

Vietnamese cuisine combines the ingredients of Southeast Asia with French technique. It's the pinnacle of food.

>> No.10242114

>>10242089
I know it wasnt your point, but
Youre making me want some yummy pho for lunch today, Op

>> No.10242136

>>10242103
>combines the ingredients of Southeast Asia
>with French technique
There's almost nothing French about Vietnamese food aside from probably the garnishing and the addition of bread as sidedish. The amount of French influence on Vietnam was rather limited during the short span the colonialism lasted. The cooking style is rather a mix of Chinese and Southeast Asian

>> No.10242153

>>10242103
The most prominent French thing about our cuisine is baguettes and pastries. You're full of shit
>t. junglegook

>> No.10242159

>>10242136
>coffee
>cold cuts
>pate
>pho broth
All of those exist in Vietnam because of the French.

>> No.10242180

Its the current meme food, of course its overrated.

>> No.10242184

>>10242136
>There's almost nothing French about Vietnamese food
Crepes, baguettes, pate and various charcuterie items pop up a lot in Viet cuisine. But I'd say the real French influence on Vietnamese cuisine's popularity is their approval of it. The French are notoriously fussy about food. When they approve of a cuisine other than their own that gives it a lot of cred. Moroccan and Lebanese both got a similar bump in world popularity from French approval.

>> No.10242192

>>10242159
>ITT: an amerimutt argues with a gook about gook cuisine

>> No.10242198

>>10242103
>it's a tripfag has no idea what they're talking about episode
maybe do some research before you embarrass yourself next time

>> No.10242201

>>10242192
>>10242153
Gooks are Koreans. It comes from the Korean word for American "migook". During the Korean war, whenever the Koreans saw Americans, they would exclaim "Migook! Migook!" which the American soldiers thought was "Me gook!"
We call the Vietnamese zipperheads.

>> No.10242209

>>10242198
see
>>10242184
There's a huge French influence on Vietnamese cuisine, and only a dumb fucking zip would disagree.

>> No.10242217

The Vietnamese diaspora caused by the war is the main reason. Unlike other Asians who came for work and therefore had no intentions in opening restauraunts, Vietnamese came in droves to the west as refugees and to earn income, they usually opened restaurants as a result. That's also why alot of restaurants are called "Saigon"-something because the refugees were mostly southern Vietnamese fleeing from North Vietnam.
As a Vietnamese living in Nederlands, I gotta agree though that it's quite overrepresented compared to other cuisines. I love food from all of Southeast Asia and I wish to see more of those restaurants popping up.
>>10242159
>coffee
Probably
>cold cuts
>pate
These are not really prominent things in our cuisine.

>pho broth
The method of preparing beef shank broth predates French colonialism by centuries you drooling retard

>> No.10242222

>>10242217
>These are not really prominent things in our cuisine
Except for, you know, the second most well known Vietnamese dish in the world behind pho.
>The method of preparing beef shank broth predates French colonialism by centuries you drooling retard
Any food historian worth his weight in salt(caw caw) will tell you that pho would not exist without the French.

>> No.10242242

burger here, I usually go with Vietnamese because they tend to be nicer and cleaner than the Chinese and Thai while staying much cheaper than the Japanese.
Then again most of the Asian restaurants here are Vietnamese anyway. CO has a lot of them.
Probably also the case for France, what with the francophonic roots in Vietnam. No clue why Berliners like them.

>> No.10242243

>>10242089
Your understanding of Vietnamese cuisine is pedestrian at best. Pho is an overrated breakfast food. Also, the gook diaspora has created a small but a broad spreading community. Thier gook menu is much more diverse than what you received.

>> No.10242249

>>10242209
>There's a huge French influence on Vietnamese cuisine
Of course. But French influence can't polish a turd. Vietnam, like Morocco and Lebanon had vibrant regional cuisines. French influence just got them to the next level.

>> No.10242254

>>10242243
Gooks are Korean. Calling a Vietnamese person a gook is like calling a Chinese person a Nip or a Thai person a chink. It just doesn't make sense.

>> No.10242264

>>10242254
I'm married to a gook, you're wrong.
>>10242242
>Cleaner
Don't ever step foot in the kitchen.

>> No.10242269

>>10242089
>Their dishes consists of either a few variants of Pho, deep fried stuff, skewered dishes, and some obviously chinese dishes with some extra green garnish
this is how the Westerner view Vietnamese cuisine.

Vietnam offer so much more. I have had hard time convince someone that Bún Bò is not the same as Phở.

>> No.10242275

>>10242222
>Except for, you know, the second most well known Vietnamese dish in the world behind pho.
>a sandwhich is good
gj, you've mentioned 2 dishes that has french influence. Surely it must mean that Viet cuisine uses a lot of French techniques

>Any food historian worth his weight in salt(caw caw) will tell you that pho would not exist without the French.
yeah, I guess no country in the world, even China, could ever just boil some onions, beef shanks and lemon grass to make a broth without the French helping them and telling them what to do

>> No.10242277

>>10242159
you maybe right, because Phở was invented during France occupation

>> No.10242278

>>10242264
You're married to a Korean? Because that's what a gook is. I already explained the origin of gook.

>> No.10242279

>>10242249
Morocco's disgusting, but the food's damn good. Had some kind of a chicken pepper tomato stew there, most flavorful fresh chicken I've had in my life,
Impressive architecture too, weird that the streets are lined with ugly old hags begging, little orphans barely dodging out of the way of rickety donkey carts, and some of the most horrific smells.

>> No.10242293
File: 505 KB, 1024x768, 2709927798_290619674f_b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10242293

>>10242222
>the second most well known Vietnamese dish in the world behind pho.
Rice and the 200 type of Vietnamese rice cake are more popular than Bánh Mỳ in Vietnam.

Westerner love bánh mỳ because they don't know how to use a chopstick.

>> No.10242297

>>10242293
Nobody cares what happens out of America, gook.

>> No.10242311

>>10242217
this

>> No.10242314
File: 2.54 MB, 640x640, 1519862643970.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10242314

>>10242297
I bet you eat your shrimp with chopstick, because you in a asia restaurant.

Like the retard in this webm

>> No.10242412

>>10242314
I refuse to use chinksticks. If I'm eating sushi, I use my hands.

>> No.10242837
File: 88 KB, 500x375, 3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10242837

>>10242278
Try again.
>Trip
>Being retarded

>> No.10243180

>>10242089
Lots of post war immigrant refugees allowed the cuisine to spread

>> No.10243206

>giving it attention
Just ignore him and let him flounder autistically until he kills himself
Or takes the trip off
Either is fine

>> No.10243219
File: 8 KB, 467x134, IgmKftR[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10243219

>>10242254
>definition of gook

>> No.10243226

>>10242278
Fuck off tranny

>> No.10243232
File: 19 KB, 1148x192, bzLSdgu[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10243232

>>10242254
Let's go even deeper.

>> No.10244269

>>10242159
>>10242222
>>10242277
pho is literally cantonese (fen)
the french obivously didnt have anything to do with south mainland china centries b4 vietnam occupation
t. lived in shenzhen and hk

>> No.10244364

Because herbs play the starring role in all the dishes which is not all that common in other cuisines. Probably because herbs boiled in water with a few scrap of rat meat is all Vietnamese people can afford so they got real good at it.

Personally it just feels like a poor-mans ramen swimming in herbal tea, but the ramen component is actually good since its made by real Vietnamese expats.

>> No.10244536
File: 28 KB, 435x600, 3furio.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10244536

>>10242209

>zip

not sure what the Italians did wrong here

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action