[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 625 KB, 1549x725, tmp_13329-The-Eltingville-Club-002-0131006562707.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9409970 No.9409970 [Reply] [Original]

>> No.9409971
File: 978 KB, 1551x1171, tmp_13329-The-Eltingville-Club-002-0142059835402.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9409970

>> No.9409974

This post here ain't /cgl/ related in the slightest so polite sage, but man I'm still fucking pissed Adult Swim passed up on Welcome to Eltingville

I will probably never forgive them for dropping that pilot so fast.

>> No.9409987

>>9409974
>fatty detected

>> No.9409996

I can't believe how much /cgl/ resembles Eltingville of all fucking things.

>> No.9410015

>>9409970
>>9409971
Holy shit I need to save these

>> No.9410054

>>9409970
>>9409971
I doubt this is how real people talk
even if they do, maybe a very small amount

It's also funny how they're almost only dissing fat girls, as if thin girls or flat-chested girls, etc. never get any critique.

This was made by a "body positive" sjw, wasn't it?

>> No.9410059

>>9410054
> people have mentioned the name of the comic
> I can't be bothered to google it
> or even see the pilot on youtube
> have my dumb opinion instead

???

>> No.9410090

>>9410054
I mean of course skinny girls get get on too but they're only shit on if they have bad cosplays. Big/fat girls get shit regardless. As someone who's been both, they both suck and are worthy of positivity campaigns (body positive campaign are generally for all bodies yknow) but it's stupid to imply the amounts of negativity are equal, all things considered.
Also, where are you that you don't see people talk like this? I want to move there.

>> No.9410096

>>9410090
Body positivity campaigns miss the point. They shouldn't be trying to tell people what to find attractive, rather they should be encouraging them not to voice their thoughts inappropriately.

>> No.9410184

>>9410054
....it's a joke comic. Please

>> No.9410186

>>9410096
>rather they should be encouraging them not to voice their thoughts inappropriately.
...that's exactly what the posted strips are doing. What are you bitching about, exactly?

>> No.9410195

>>9409970
>>9409971
I like how the artist depicted all the detractors as neckbeards as if most of the people being publicly salty with their opinions about cosplayers aren't bitter, unattractive women.

>> No.9410216

>>9410096
Body positive campaigns miss they point. They should be focusing on people who can't change their situation. Burn victims, amputees and disabled people. Fat people can change themselves, but don't. Instead they bring down everyone around them and hijack movements to feel good about themselves. It's disrespectful for others to have to be lumped with lardasses that can't practice self control.

>> No.9410219

>>9410195
But you would be less likely to perceive their opinions as wrong on an instinctive gut level if they were attractive skinny but bitchy women.

>> No.9410220

>>9410195
This, it's mostly women who make fun of other women. I'm not sure why it's always painting guys in the negative. Only thing the guys truly have disdain for is when girls cosplay something they have no knowledge of.

>> No.9410223

>>9410219
Being bitter makes you unattractive.

>> No.9410240

>>9410216
This. They've basically hijacked the entire movement and made it into 'why don't attractive men want to fuck me even though I'm a landwhale you HAVE to find me attractive you white male'.

>> No.9410242

>>9410195
The point of the comic is literally making fun of fanboys. Of course they're neckbeards, that's the whole point. You guys always have to ruin something funny

>> No.9410250
File: 17 KB, 200x75, ha.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I laughed

>> No.9410267

>>9410216
This. This so much.

>> No.9410286

>>9410216
>>9410240
Body positivity is about liking your body.

Not over-looking your faults, because if you're thinking of part of your body as a fault then you've already missed the point.

Insecure women have taken this as a shield against all the behavior in society that makes them feel non-body positive/ugly.
Including, but not limited to, sexual attractiveness to men.
This is a combination between insecure women (and in fact a trait all walks of life are familiar with) not wanted to be told to change, and the society that is telling them to change. Liking your body doesn't mean other people are going to like it. The hard part is acknowledging that that is okay. If a part of you feels that you're not attractive to the people you find attractive and the common denominator is your weight, well that's a choice people have to make and come to terms with.

Good manners is about not disparaging another person for no other reason than personal opinion or spite.

Good sense is, if you must share a negative opinion, do it in private, have your joke if you must but not at someone's expense.

Saying all fat people are lazy is like saying all blonde people are stupid. Physical appearance does not tell you much about a person. Whilst this is true, most of the time anyone says this it is met with 'you must be fat or know someone that is fat and are refusing to acknowledge the truth of being slender'. Which perpetuates the point.

We also live in a society that doesn't differentiate between healthy and slender. Though we're not trending towards healthy and strong as mantras as opposed to 'tiniest waist wins'.

The body positive shield also tends to clash with 'there is literally no advantage to being fat and unfit (note these are not interchangeable terms)' fact. Not an argument. It's a fact. However, it's up to the individual to say, you know what...I see that fact and I don't care, I like how I am and accept the consequences.

Which isn't wrong. That's body positivity.

>> No.9410295

>>9410242
But fanboys don't talk like this. Yeah they can get nasty, but the tone is very different.

I realize that it's supposed to be a joke, but it's a shitty joke.

The way those voicing negative opinions are represented as not traditionally attractive males saying things that more closely align with negative opinions from females (focusing on weight) sounds like sad projection. It also reeks of scapegoating body shaming (or racism as with the Zattana example) as something that only ugly men do which is hypocritical as fuck.

This is half baked sjw shit.

>> No.9410297

>>9410286
>Saying all fat people are lazy is like saying all blonde people are stupid.
And you were doing so well.

>> No.9410302

>>9410297
What anon said is true though.

>> No.9410303

>>9410220
>implying this entire shithole isn't mostly men fapping to cosplay sloots

>> No.9410311

>>9410295
"muh it's hurting my feelies that fanboys are depicted as ugly neckbeards"

get over it. most of you are.

>> No.9410333

>>9410302
Being fat is evidence supporting laziness. Hair color and intelligence are totally unrelated.

>> No.9410390

>>9410333
The point is more about blanket statements relating phyiscal appearance to another aspect.

Like most cumulative negative states, be it being overweight, hoarding...I am casting around for examples but it's late..there is usually a negative root. Which is better met by understanding than it is by negativity.

Just being a lazy person doesn't make you fat.

Not exercising doesn't make you lazy.

Especially since the term lazy can be applied to multiple disciplines. Like someone who prevaricates doing their homework/chores/work, or making their cosplay or any of the other common stresses that build up.

I feel I need to stress this is not making excuses for gaining weight. As I've already said, there isn't a pro-fat argument. But this mutually exclusive to pro-body image.

Gaining weight can be a number of factors such as birth control or hormone control, stress, over-eating or comfort eating as a response to stress with a lack of physical activity to counter balance this. Grouping these all together as 'lazy' doesn't help anyone.

Just consuming excess calories doesn't make you fat, as any body builder can attest because they consume excess (albeit in targeted food groups) calories. Difference is it's offset against appropriate physical activity.

Now no fat (which is still a subjective term) or obese (which has at least a medical definition) person started off that way. And just as apart from pencil marks on door edges you didn't register as you gained height, so most people don't register as they gain weight. No one wakes up obese having been healthy the day before and no one wakes up and says 'I want to get obese' (except for a select group of at least body-positive people that...well...do...each to their own).

>> No.9410396

>>9410390
The tl:dr point I am getting to is that negative down cycles are hard to break, and we've all been in one at some point, weight or not. You avoid looking at something you don't like, or avoiding doing something you're dreading and the problem builds until you bite the bullet.

For fat people that happens to be their body. People who find themselves attractive look at their body image more times a day than people that don't (I'd link to the study I read on this cause it was really interesting but I can't find it atm).

So if, as a healthy person, all you do is throw abuse and negative opinions at people, it doesn't inspire change. Change starts with personal choice. You're better off sharing your diet and exercise regimes and tips generally and making pro-positivty and pro body-image blogs and things to inspire people, than hurling abuse. That makes you a better a person, takes a step towards building a more positive society, and does more good and far less damage to people who probably already hate themselves more than you every could.

>> No.9410403

>>9409970
>>9409971
Kek, pretty much sums up most "cosplayers" on /cgl/. Look at any pics from a meetup and you'll see most of them aren't even wearing costumes, or are just wearing simple joke cosplays. Yet they proceed to come on here to nitpick and make fun of other people's cosplays, as if they were master costumers.

>> No.9410414

>>9410333
There are a lot of "fat" people that would make anyone one of us look lazy as they work out more, and are just as fast and agile as people half their size.

I'm going to use pro wrestling as an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0AQd39_4OU

That sequence was done into a match that was at least 20 minutes long filled with explosive action.

Your average super fit looking gym rat would be sucking wind within the first five minutes let alone continue the performance while maintaining perfect technique (an aspect that takes a lot of mental toughness during times of fatigue) so that he doesn't kill the other guy and himself.

Is he fat? yes

Is he lazy? Hell no.

>> No.9410415

>>9410390
>Not exercising doesn't make you lazy.
By definition it does.

>> No.9410431

>>9410390
>>9410396
wow someone actually being real and thoughtful on /cgl/...this is truly a momentous day.

>> No.9410443

Love the idea that girls don't make those exact kind of statements, for you see we are beautiful paragons of kindness and purity~

Please. Cosplayfucks was mostly chicks, and I'd bet most of the CGL posters are chicks. Guys generally don't seem to care about a hambeast squeezed into spandex so long as they get to see boobs. Unless you're so fat you're basically amorphous, guys don't seem to be as quick as girls are.

If you're a chick and you're acting like this is a fanboy problem, you're just projecting to feel better about either your weight or that joke you cracked about some woman's cottage cheese ass hanging out of a leotard making you want to puke.

Sorry, fat is ugly. A Latina Zatanna isn't offensive to the eyes like a 29,000 lb white chick oozing out of fishnets. Watch what you eat and hit a gym if you're this self conscious. The amount of energy you put into trying to rationalize how fanboys are the problem here could be easily spent at a squat rack or an elliptical.

(But yes, most women not crippled by anxiety know well the creepy sweaty fanboy trying to shit talk a cosplayer for ~~~looking like a whore~~~. Likewise, most women not crippled by insecurity know the reason they do that is to justify why no woman will ever willingly touch their gross, sweaty gonads.)

>> No.9410451

>>9410443
finally the truth has been spoken

>> No.9410479

This is every stereotype of neckbeards and being creepers at cons. This needs to be shared far more often. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcUHdST0J4

>> No.9410566

>>9410443
The true redeemer arises

>> No.9410577

>>9410396
I've tried being 'positive' but all they do now is shut you down for suggesting healthy food because it's 'expensive' and tell you to check your privilege when you give them exercise tips. Being stuck in that kind of thinking is just as bad and this #haes isn't doing any good anymore.

>> No.9410580

Eltingville is a parody of gross nerds in general (mainly as a counterpart of the nerd underdog stereotype) and the group is supposed to be varying levels of horrible people. You're all either baiting or projecting about something to make this about sjws and whatever instead of taking for what it is.

>> No.9410595

>>9410580
if you think the comic posted is a parody, I don't think you know what a parody is, dude.

This comic is just some gross dudes saying gross things about other people and the punchline is that they're gross themselves. Not exactly Robin Hood: Men in Tights, is it?

>> No.9410607

>>9410580
I can only go by this comic since I've never heard of this comic before, but from this comic it seems like it's more concerned about stating the obvious than in being, you know, actually funny.

Robot Chicken does a great bit about how annoying nerds are while still making a joke and being funny. This is just a tl;dr about how nerds are gross and have double standards. It's about as funny as a comic about how the sky is, indeed, blue or how water is actually wet.

"No fucking duh" isn't exactly a punchline.

>> No.9410612

>>9410577
Telling people directly makes them defensive. All you can do is make positive content of your own and hope they come round.

>> No.9410618

>>9410612
I never tell them unless they ask, and even then they get defensive. Everyone lives in a bubble now so it's not worth the effort anymore. I just get pissed when I see people hosting stupid HAES events, like that one where they smashed scales because they were 'triggered' by them.

>> No.9410625

>>9410595

Parody through exaggeration is still parody. You're supposed to laugh at how obsessed the guys are with their hobbies (and maybe relate if you had one of those friends/were one yourself), and this is what, two pages of the whole thing?

>>9410607
>This is just a tl;dr about how nerds are gross and have double standards. It's about as funny as a comic about how the sky is, indeed, blue or how water is actually wet.

Eltingville is largely about pre-internet nerds. Hell, the pilot is from 2002 and has a joke about needing stamps to mail their opinion to someone.

also

> observational humor is not a thing

Here's the pilot so you can all stop saying dumb shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gK0uNlLa3s

>> No.9410645

>>9410625
>YOU NORMIES JUST DONT GET IT

Ohh. So it's not about being funny. It's a love letter from self hating nerds to self hating nerds about the hardships of being self hating nerds.

I cannot fathom why Adult Swim passed on such an abundant goldmine. Who wouldn't want a show about nerds bitching about other nerds without being funny or remotely interesting?

Sorry, dude. The comic posted was already boring and uninteresting. It's not observational humor if it lacks the, you know, humor part.

Why do you think wheezing yourself into a tantrum is going to make anyone here go, "oh, well, goon mcmouthbreather really worked himself up into a frenzy! I better go check this out!"?

>> No.9410654

>>9410625
>Hell, the pilot is from 2002 and has a joke about needing stamps to mail their opinion to someone.
OMGLOLROFLMAO stamps? Mailing their opinion to someone? omglol XDXDXDXDXD
Anyone else remember post offices? omg that is so funny >^,^< Remember fark and ebaums world lol omg you know you were a nineties kid when *faaaaaaassaaaart*

>> No.9410718

I've said this in other threads, but I do I run into a guy like this about 3 times a year (and I got to 12 cons a year, 3 of which have attendance of 50k+). This overweight mouthbreathers who don't wear cosplay but feel they need to tell you what's wrong with yours. I can't say I've ever experienced women doing this. I'm sure if I knew every comment that everyone made behind my back it would a lot more people, but some people are just assholes.

I'm not so fragile that someone saying something rude to me is going to ruin my weekend when 100s of people are telling me how much they like my cosplay. Some other cosplayers I know, not so much.

>> No.9410731

>>9410718
The difference is that women will never say it to your face. They'd rather post about it anonymously on a chinese cartoon image board.

>> No.9410733

>>9410625
That was the worst trash I'd ever seen, ever.
And I don't see the parody or satire in it.

>> No.9410766

>>9410580
>Eltingville is a gross parody of nerds in general
FTFY

For my part I'm actually totally familiar with Eltingville, but I don't like the comic or the creator and I never have. Dorkin's a nasty, snide douche.

>> No.9410845

>>9410718
In that, I don't think it's about gender. You just have to suffer from a massive case of autism if you go up to a complete stranger and wheeze about how wrong they are for wearing season 1 armor with clothes from season 3 and boots from season 2.

But if you're ridiculously fat or your costume is made of shiny satin, yeah, some autistic mouthbreathers may be the only ones to say it to your face, but girls are likely saying the same if not worse to their friends or online

I've definitely known hot, fit cosplay guys to make jokes about thunder thighs or cottage cheese ass, but they simply didn't care enough to say it to the cosplayers face. Or remember it, for that matter. With girls I guess it was the same. Of my group I think I was the only one petty enough to browse things like CGL, but you bet at the convention itself no joke got left unsaid, and then it was just as quickly forgotten.

It's like high school. It's not about singling out one person because you feel any particular dislike, rather you're just trying to crack a joke to make everyone around you laugh, making you feel like you fit in. Find big groups of strangers trying to find their groups and you'll always find behavior like that.

>> No.9410850

>>9410718
>I'm not so fragile that someone saying something rude to me is going to ruin my weekend when 100s of people are telling me how much they like my cosplay.

Naw, you're just going to whine about it in not one but two threads long after the fact.

>> No.9410852

>>9410443
Girls do but they're usually too worried about looking like a bitch to say it to anyone's face. The same ones crying about fatties here are usually the same ones that pretend to be all for body positivity in public. Nobody wants to be known for being a shitty person even if everyone does it

>> No.9410857

>>9410766
I have never heard of this comic or its creator, but if the comic and the posters in this thread are anything to go by, you sound about right.

There is a very unique subset of annoying nerds who seem convinced that in order to prove how they are not annoying nerds they have to bitch about annoying nerds endlessly, ultimately coming off as a very annoying subsect of annoying nerds.

>> No.9410877

>>9410090
Skinny / hot girls get shit from dudes for not being "real nerds" because being a nerd is only possible if you're fat and ugly like them.

>> No.9410884

>>9410877
Truth be told- this.
I've also gotten this from dumpy girls.
God forbid I take care of my appearance and have proper hygiene.
Nearly every con I do get at least 1 person come up to me or my cosplay friend and try to quiz us about the series we're cosplaying from.
It's pretty rude and annoying and super autistic.

>> No.9410918

>>9410884
But do you know shit about what you are cosplaying? They just want to confirm if you are a fan or a coswhore, there's just too many not to check.

>> No.9410921

>>9410884
Just try cosplaying from my favorite game and expect me not to quiz you about it.
See what fuckin happens.

>some hoe cosplaying as my waifu and not having actually played the game
That shit make somebody wanna slap a bitch.

>> No.9410926

>>9410918
Considering I only cosplay what I know (unless friend drags me into cosplay matching with her), yes I do.
It's still really autistic to do. You don't walk up to some random girl with the most accusatory tone in your voice and asking her trivia about what she's cosplaying from.

>>9410921
I feel like I've come across you, then. What's your fave game, then?
(I mostly cosplay video games because I'm not much into the animes)

>> No.9410941

>>9410852
They starve themselves cause they have ugly faces. When they see a fattie walking around they get mad plus they want to use it as a segway to get complments.

>> No.9410942

>>9410580
Gunshow's Anime Club is parody of gross nerds in general. And funny to boot. This comic is a holier-than-thou writer sitting on their ivory tower preaching to the converted to score progressive points through the medium of zero-dimesional strawmen.

>> No.9410943

>>9410926
You do know what a convention is? Its actually designed for questions. you sound like a coswhore.

>> No.9410944

>>9410942
*dimensional

>> No.9410948

>>9410943
Or I go to cons to cosplay with my friends, have fun, see other cosplays, buy some shit, go to a lolita meet up, maybe meet a va, and go home.
I'm not there to be fact checked by an autist while I'm dicking around with my friends.
I bet youre also the type of autist who asks people for pictures when theyre trying to eat.

>> No.9410972

>>9410943
I hope by questions you mean civil discussions with fellow fans of similar interests.

>> No.9411007

>>9410918
Holy crap who cares?

I cosplayed from plenty of series I hadn't read but I liked the art. Hell, I was one of the posters in the chobits thread going on about how much I actively disliked the series, but you bet your ass I cosplayed from that series because some of those dresses were ridiculously pretty or cute or just looked like they'd be fun sewing challenges.

I guarantee you to every one cosplayer who cosplays a character they don't know just to be sexy, there's five that cosplay because they happen to like that particular design.

And even if they do cosplay to be sexy and get attention, w h o c a r e s?

If I saw a hot guy dressed as one of my favourite guy characters, the last thing on my mind would have been to quiz them to make sure they *really* liked that character or series.

Seriously, how autistic do you have to be? How do you get upset at seeing a hot person cosplaying a character you like?

>> No.9411009

>>9410972
No, I'm pretty sure this dude means waddling up to a complete stranger and wheezing out a cloud of halitosis and IMDb trivia.

>> No.9411021

>>9410948
I'm a woman and ive been to many non-scifi conventions. Conventions are a place for like minding folks to gather. It sounds like you just hang with your friends all day. Asking questions is an icebreaker. Maybe the person was snippy but when you cosplay you are basically an ambassador. Any star trek fan can confirm.

>> No.9411037

>>9411021
Asking questions as an ice breaker is one thing.I'm all for making new friends.
Asking trivia questions with an obvious intent on "nerd verification" is another, and is what we're talking about.
>But do you know shit about what you are cosplaying? They just want to confirm if you are a fan or a coswhore, there's just too many not to check.
and
>Just try cosplaying from my favorite game and expect me not to quiz you about it.

Aren't breaking the ice. It's autistic as fuck

>> No.9411072

>>9411037
Almost no one cosplays from my favorite game, though.
And I suppose "Quiz" isn't the right term, since it's not like 20 questions, more like

"Did you ever feel like Agrias was outclassed by almost everyone? Like honestly, what the fuck was up with her getting like 5 abilities early on and otherwise being exactly the same as everyone else, right? Kind of feels like you're totally ripped off once you hit DK; the only cool things about her are her looks and skill visuals, not strength."

Because there's never discussion about the game, even though it was the pinnacle of a FUCKING GENRE. How can people just pretend it didn't even exist, when everyone who played it, loved it? I mean, fuck, even the developer seems to have forgotten how big of a following and critical acclaim it got and totally fucked off to do some phone shit.

Okay back on topic, people view cosplay as an invitation to discuss the game at hand, and if they try discussing it with you and you make it obvious you know squat about it, they'll get annoyed. For some people, cosplay isn't just about fotm, but being a fan, so when they see a lot of people cosplaying characters from whatever they're a fan of just because it's fotm material, they're prone to start conversations with questions.

>tfw still mad and want to keep ranting but it's off topic

>> No.9411079

>>9411072
I'm fine with simply discussion opinions on the game. I'd love to discuss dev choices or how I felt about x moment or y mechanic.
But I have had people legit try and play 20 questions about some trivia about the game. And that's the shit that I see as autistic.

>> No.9411083

>>9410884
>>9410877
Fucking. This.

>> No.9411086

>>9410921
Personally I'd hock a fat lugie on you if you came up to me with that kind of shit

>> No.9411093

>>9411086
Point and laugh, my friend. Just point and laugh.

There is no other response for people who think wearing a costume should be a privilege reserved only for those who have over 200k words of erotic fanfiction saved up on their hard drives and that everyone else should, too.

It's clothes. It's just clothes. There's a reason Trekkie fans have been the butt of jokes for generations- if you treat clothes as some sort of badge of honour, you're asking to get your creepy, lonely ass mocked.

>> No.9411099

>>9411072
>Almost no one cosplays from my favorite game, though.
And I suppose "Quiz" isn't the right term, since it's not like 20 questions, more like

>"Did you ever feel like Agrias was outclassed by almost everyone? Like honestly, what the fuck was up with her getting like 5 abilities early on and otherwise being exactly the same as everyone else, right? Kind of feels like you're totally ripped off once you hit DK; the only cool things about her are her looks and skill visuals, not strength."

>Because there's never discussion about the game, even though it was the pinnacle of a FUCKING GENRE. How can people just pretend it didn't even exist, when everyone who played it, loved it? I mean, fuck, even the developer seems to have forgotten how big of a following and critical acclaim it got and totally fucked off to do some phone shit.

>Okay back on topic, people view cosplay as an invitation to discuss the game at hand, and if they try discussing it with you and you make it obvious you know squat about it, they'll get annoyed.

Maybe it's not that people don't talk about that game, but that they don't talk about that game to you what with the whole, being a frothing cup of aspergers and crazy thing. Hot damn.

Did some of you just never learn to socialize, and you're angry because you thought conventions was a safe space for the socially retarded? Those people in costumes are still people, and if you're annoying out of costume, chances are you're annoying in costume too.

>> No.9411121

The only time I cosplay as characters that I don't like (or like the series) it's because it's a group cosplay. On the flip side of that, when I see someone cosplaying from something I really enjoy, I get ready to squee about my favorite things. It's kind of a let down when they know nothing about the game/series they're cosplaying.

I'll ask a Vocaloid cosplayer what their favorite song is. It gives a good indication to how well they know Vocaloid music. I'll ask Overwatch cosplayers what their SR is. If you're below platinum I don't need your battletag. I've learned to not even bother asking D.Va cosplayers this, which is funny considering who the character is in the game. But I wouldn't try to get people to name all the support characters in Overwatch or some stupid shit like that. But I may ask them if they've played Orisa yet and what their thoughts are on her.

I've met people cosplaying Vocaloid who never listened to any Vocaloid music and Overwatch cosplayers who never even bought/played the game. I'm not hating, I honestly want to know why people do that!

>> No.9411187

>>9411121

Seriously, it's not very complicated: People see a character wearing an outfit they'd like to wear. That's all it really is.

It's not like seeing a gorgeous and expensive wedding dress on a store window you love but will never afford, it's seeing an outfit you like and can make.

Vocaloid may sound like ear rape and the holographic anime concerts to grown men with body pillows may creep some people out, but that doesn't stop the outfits from looking cute.

>> No.9411242

What's funny is that as a guy who goes to cons and hangs out with all kinds of other dudes, the only ones I've ever seen bashing on random cosplayers like in OP's comic are the "con Chad" types who only come for the parties and to get laid.

Most of the actual greasy neckbeard "creepy" types have been in the con scene since the days when almost everybody looked like crap and they could care less what random cosplayers look like unless it's something truly offensive. (Generally in an indecent exposure kind of way and not related to the costume at all.)

Of course it's obvious that the author has never hung around guys, much less at a con, because if they had they'd know that we don't talk like characters in a '50s cartoon strip.

>> No.9411276

>>9411242
>Guy in comic doesn't know what non-greasy, skeezy guys talk like
>"con Chad"
Uh... Isn't Chad what creepy mouth breathing ~nice guys~ call, well, non-creepy normal guys...?

>> No.9411298

>>9410059
just because the name is there, doesn't mean I'm going to bother looking this shitty comic up and I certainly don't feel like watching a youtube clip of this crap.
Where else would I find the time to annoy you instead?

> have my dumb opinion instead
How about you google the world opinion?

>> No.9411306

>>9411072
You realize Agrias was literally in 13 different games, right? A person could see her as an npc in a different game, dig her, and want to cosplay her... or ya know, saw her as a fun boss and wanted to be her?

Jfc it's like you expect a cosplay of Alice in Wonderland and think she'll know all about Kingdom Hearts or American McGee's Alice.

>> No.9411329

>>9411242

#notallmen, the story

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I'm using an obvious scapegoat, but I've run into all of the autistic neckbeard stereotypes -- friend of mine did MLP hairclips for girls in the early season of the show. We were expecting market of other girls who also have nostalgia glasses for something from our childhood. Instead we got stinky neckbeards, monologuing neckbeards, spergy neckbeards, and yes, we got the quiz from one guy who said we had to answer three MLP trivia questions or he wouldn't buy anything from our table. He left when we pointed out that all we had were hairclips for girls, the other merch on the table was other fandoms.

The spergs exist if you step into the right fandom. Which is why I don't really mind when cosplayers pass around con horror stories. Someone has to be the cautionary tale so the nerds who just got into the hobby can hear all negative stories and learn not to do them before they try and do them. It's not a judgement on you, it's a fable to tell the newbies, "don't do this, don't be this asshole".

>> No.9411330

>>9411276
I put it in quotes for a reason, but it depends who you're asking. "Chad" generally refers to the archetypal "alpha male," not just normal guys in general. (Those are just "normies.")

"Con Chad" is its own specific thing, though. You know those out-of-place frat guy types who aren't really into anime/comics/whatever and just go to cons for parties and hookups? Those are "Con Chads."

Also, I just want to say this because it's been nagging at me. I've been going to cons for a long time now, and I know a lot of people of every "type," including a lot of those bearded, poorly dressed, overweight, awkward types, the kinds that so often get called creepy on /cgl/ and elsewhere. Most of them are actually damn cool and are the last people I'd ever expect to actually do anything creepy or inappropriate. It really bothers me to see them constantly get shit on.

>> No.9411335

>>9411330
I know plenty of cool guys like this but there's still a few of absolute retards I know who ruin it. Watched some poor girl last Fanime get a fucking earload from some really tall, loud, shitty beard fuck about the new season of Power Rangers because she was dressed at the original pink ranger while waiting in line for a panel. She couldn't even leave the line to give up her spot

>> No.9411344 [DELETED] 

>>9411330

Meh, /cgl/ likes to rip on all sorts of things that they end up liking themselves, being a board that's not necessarily a hivemind. You shouldn't take much stock in it. From what I see IRL of seagulls, they end up dating a lot of these 'neckbeards' because their interests align, and for the most part, they're fine. From my humble, admittedly anedotally charged opinion, it's probably just some trolling seagulls intent on making this board live up to its 'female r9k' reputation that drives most of these comments. Or really lonely gulls. And in my own example, /cgl/ really likes to rip into manlets but my boyfriend is like 5'5, but he's probably one of the most caring guys I've ever met, vs. the 6'0 ex I had who was kind of an autistic asshole. Not saying that 6'0 guys are always assholes, but judging based on appearance isn't going to go very far.

>> No.9411351

>>9411329
Oh god, I'll admit, MLP is a real landmine. That show attracts weirdos like no other.

A few cosplayer friends of mine went through pretty much the same experience as you, but with their original MLP-inspired costumes instead of products they'd made. These girls had no idea "bronies" even existed until they were suddenly subjected to a torrent of hate for making costumes that differed from the "fan canon" anthropomorphized versions of the ponies they'd chosen.

That said, they're annoying as fuck for sure, but they're also not much more than that. I really get the impression, not just here on /cgl/ but on social media and in personal conversations, that a lot of girls at cons see those kinds of guys as an actual threat, and it makes me feel bad for them. Most "creepy" guys at cons are really just lacking confidence and in fact it's often a fear of doing something "creepy" that leads them into "creepy" behavior.

>>9411344
Yeah, I get where you're coming from, and I know a few guys like that who escaped their fate too. It's not just /cgl/ though, I've been privy to a lot of stuff like this in person too, particularly with my cosplayer ex-GF and her friends.

>> No.9411358

>>9411335
You know, now that I think about it, these kinds of guys almost always appear in connection with Western media, especially kids' shows. Maybe I've had fewer run-ins with them because I stick to anime cons.

>> No.9411360

>>9411344
Maybe it's because due to crippling low self esteem cgl types tend to settle for the obese, whiny, passive aggressive types because they're terrified of being rejected by normal guys because of their weight/skin/personality.

I guarantee you most of what you guys characterize as ""con Chad"" or, hur, "alpha males" are guys who have plenty of nerdy tastes but happen to take care of themselves and have interests other than *just* anime/comics/games. I promise you, a regular guy wanting a piece of tail isn't going to a con in the hopes of finding some below average fat chick- if he wants tail, he'll go to a bar or a club. If a normal dude is at a con it's because he somehow magically enjoys nerdy things while still being a normal guy. There's plenty of jocky football player types who played DnD or Doom. It just happened that their lives didn't revolve around it.

The kind of guys who don't have opinions on gamer gate because they don't care, or who think people who get upset over Power Rangers continuity are hilarious.

Anecdotal source: dating normal hot guy, cannot stand the mouth breathing whiny types who call themselves nice guys and think women are either paragons of perfection to be worshipped at all times or evil whores out to sully the good name of their love pillows.

Seriously. Try dating someone who doesn't have a panic attack at the sight of a football jersey and doesn't regale you with stories of how everyone in high school was mean to him because he was so much smarter and more mature than they were. Seriously, it's amazing.

>> No.9411365

>>9411187
>implying meeku is the only vocaloid

>> No.9411372

>>9411365
Ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A in our 'A Hitchhikers Guide to Autists Who a Think Regular People Give a Crap About Their Fetish Objects'

>> No.9411373

>>9411365
Bro, read that post. Miku isn't mentioned once.

>> No.9411385

>>9411358
I think it has to do with accessibility. In the US it's easy to consume comics, superhero cartoons, Power Rangers etc and it has a certain appeal to people who never really mature past that age it targets.

I wonder if the same could be said for all the Japanese otaku who are into things that are clearly not meant for them like Precure? I guess the US equivalent would be Bronies

>> No.9411387
File: 78 KB, 608x456, precure dudes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9411385
Dropped pic

>> No.9411389

>>9411372
Yawn, typical "lel i dont get it, so its a fetish!!" meme post.

But also >>9411373

>> No.9411401

>>9411360
Holy shit, where do I even start? Is this bait?

OK, first of all, are you seriously going to sit here and shame girls for dating guys based on liking them and having common interests with them? Hell, the girl in the deleted post you replied to SAID that she'd already dated a jock type and was happier with the short awkward nerd.

That aside, either you're totally misunderstanding the conversation or you're an extreme example of the worst possible attitude. Those football types are MAYBE 10% of guys. Actual creepy losers are maybe another 10% of guys. That means there's a whole 80% of guys in between. Not being a ripped ultra-confident former quarterback doesn't suddenly mean a guy is some kind of autistic brony nutcase, it means they're a normal person.

Next, I was the one who brought up "con chads" in the first place, and it referred to a very specific kind of person. They're the 7/10 average guys who go to cons to hook up because they know the bar is lower there. We're not talking about normal guys who date cosplayers, we're talking about ~30 year old men who go to cons to have one night stands with impressionable young girls.

I don't know that other anon, but I'm pretty sure she was talking about dating a relatively normal guy who happened to be short and maybe wasn't the most confident, not about some disgusting obese /r9k/ fedoratipper.

>> No.9411439

>>9411329
>>9411351
The MLP fandom has it's share of creepers for sure. That being said, it has been targeted by cash grabs for anyone willing to make something "brony related." Post season 3 with the release of EQG, there are cannon outfits for humanized versions of the main characters. So inventing an AU outfit for them isn't respectable within the fandom. If your friends did this without realizing that EQG was a thing, sorry but they truly do fall into that "fake nerd girl" that aren't familiar enough with the source material to do it faithfully.

>> No.9411445

>>9411360
Good post, anon.

>> No.9411456

>>9411439
This was before that, I'm not exactly sure when but I first heard the story in 2011 or 2012.

You should also be ashamed of yourself for knowing about that and for caring about what's "respectable" within a fandom of grown men that obsess over a show for little girls.

>> No.9411460

>>9411456
You can fuck right off if you think that being are part of a fandom while not understanding a goddamn thing about it. Your friends sound like a bunch of bandwagonning cunts who couldn't even be bothered to watch what what they were cosplaying as. When was the last time you were part of a fandom big enough to have its own conventions? Stick to homestuck you insecure prick.

>> No.9411466

>>9411360
>>9411365

... lol ok maybe I should clarify. My boyfriend is pretty normie and actually quite socially adept, just short. My ex was quite the nerd but because he was tall and good looking was fairly popular. But over time I came to realize he disregarded my feelings a lot and made me feel like shit over things I couldn't control, e.g. The size of my boobs. My current boyfriend is amazing and despite me being despondent sometimes he's really positive for me and I try to do the same for him.

And thanks for the offer but I think I'm perfectly okay where I am.

>> No.9411490

>>9411460
Fuck off. You have no right to dictate what a cosplayer does and even less right to insult them for it, particularly when, as I said, it was before people in the mainstream even KNEW that there was an adult fandom and before there were official designs for human versions.

You have way, way too much of your ego tied up in a show that was created to sell plastic toy horses to 6 year old girls. Go back to your containment board, this is an anime-based site intended for adult discussion and you're lucky /mlp/ wasn't just bait to permaban you and your ilk like Moot and Snacks did with /furry/ back in the day.

Oh, and by all means, take the homestucks with you. You can have the Steven Universe fucks and whatever else too, as long as you get them the fuck out of my anime conventions.

>> No.9411556

>>9409970
>>9409971
Am I the only person bothered that this is a shitty comic that takes a four panel joke into ten panels of cluttered text and busy artwork? Does the author know that neckbeards absolutely salivate over any dumpy chick in a skimpy outfit, and this talk is more or less from other women?

>> No.9411648

>>9411490
Are you seriously for real? You think it's OK to seek accolades for shit poor cosplay without paying any attention to the source material? MLP isn't just a flavor of the week cosplay. There is plenty of room for detailed representation of accurate cosplays. Thinking that AUs are acceptable when EQG exists is no only lazy, but disrespectful to the fanbase.

>> No.9411652

>>9411490
>You have no right to dictate what a cosplayer does
True
>and even less right to insult them for it
False

>> No.9411671

>>9411648
I don't know what your problem with reading comprehension is, but again, this was 2010 or 2011. EQG _DID NOT EXIST_. These girls started their costumes immediately after Season 1 of new MLP and the only "humanoid" versions in existence were fanart. There was no official art other than ponies to base anything on.

The costumes were also good. The girls in question have won multiple craftsmanship awards at major cons and are attractive. Any onlooker who was not deeply immersed in the MLP fandom would have liked it. The only reason they got shit was because there was an unofficial fan canon for the humanoid appearance and their costumes did not adhere to it.

That aside, again, it can be a flavor of the week cosplay if the cosplayers want it to be one. The fact that the series has a rabid following does not somehow make it more significant. It is still, at its core, a cartoon for children. The idea that something is "disrespectful to the fanbase" is patently ridiculous, you people enjoy no special privileges and your series is not sacred. You are NOT the intended audience and your coincidental fandom does not allow you to dictate what is or is not acceptable. The only canon is what is depicted in the original source material and everything else is equally apocryphal, regardless of the series in question, and you have no right to criticize people for contradicting "fan canon."

Oh, also, they were never "seeking accolades." They made costumes, wore them at a con, and posted them on DA. That's it. They then had to block comments because of attacks from people like you who thought that they somehow had the authority to decide what was and was not acceptable within the fandom of a series that was never intended for their demographic in the first place.

>> No.9411687

>>9411490
>this is an anime-based site intended for adult discussion
Very not true at all

>> No.9411702

>>9411439
>>9411648

Uhm, bro. I think there's something seriously wrong with you if you think "not a true fan" somehow justifies acting like a shithead towards a complete stranger.

>> No.9411739

>>9411671
Even before EQG there was Art of the Dress. You can masturbate to all of your friends who won "craftsmanship" awards all you want, but it still doesn't mean they're good cosplayers.

Stop trying to insult the fandom while simultaneously trying to protect your pathetic friends who can't come up with an original cosplay ideas. It doesn't mean they weren't seeking vindication from thirsty neckbeards. I hope they got laid and you were a happy cuck as I'm sure you are.

>> No.9411742

>>9411086
That'd be kinda hot

>> No.9411752

>>9410390
>
Just consuming excess calories doesn't make you fat, as any body builder can attest because they consume excess (albeit in targeted food groups) calories. Difference is it's offset against appropriate physical activity.

IF ITS OFFSET IS NOT EXCESS! Do you even words? If you exercise enough, you can eat like a fatty and not be one... If you eat like a fatty and don't exercise, you become a fatty... Aka too many calories (also know in English as EXCESS calories) makes you fat.

Also the required amount is different for everyone, and can change. So it's not "birth control made me fat" or "thyroid issues made me fat", it's "my body requires fewer calories when I'm on birth control/ due to my thyroid, but I kept eating more than I needed and got fat".

>> No.9411756

>>9411121
Some people don't care and they cosplay for the costumes. I may not be the norm when it comes to this but I rarely ask people about the stuff they're cosplaying from. I'll usually say that I like their cosplay and that's about it. Tbh, I don't care that much if someone's cosplaying from something they've never watched/played. I wouldn't because I enjoy dressing up as characters that I like but that's not the case with everyone.

Whenever someone starts questioning me, I always feel like they're trying to 'test' my creditability. I know that's not always the case but it comes across that way with a lot of people. It's one thing to have a friendly conversation about favorite characters and another to start quizzing someone on which episode was the best.

Perfect example >>9411072

>> No.9411773

>>9411439
>>9411460
>>9411648
>>9411739
being this autistic because somebody cosplayed some cartoon horses "wrong" You're taking misunderstanding a hobby that's equal parts accuracy and creativity to a whole new level.

>> No.9411774

>>9411773
I think these posts perfectly sum up the point of OP. There definitely are people that act like this and they're the kind of people that should really be avoided at all costs

>> No.9411789
File: 602 KB, 963x720, 1451303124523.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You gulls are so negative and pessimistic.

What if some guy autistically walked up to you to pelt you with questions, not in an effort to quiz you and label you a "fake nerd girl" but rather out of genuine and spergy excitement?

Let's also say he isn't a tall dark handsome stranger, but rather a chubby short guy with a neckbeard and a graphic tee.
Again not being an asshole, just kinda pushy and annoying.

Wat do, gulls?

>> No.9411803

>>9411789
There's a pretty clear difference between people asking questions out of excitement and people asking questions to quiz you. There's quite a different demeanour to the two.

Speaking for myself, enthusiastic questions are met with kindness, quizzing with a gtfo. (Unless the guy is a known creeper, in which case I'll try and get out of it.) Unfortunately as a cosplayer you're constantly busy at cons, so sometimes the fun talks may not be very long, but that's again my experience.

>> No.9411810

>>9411773
So it's autistic to completely disregard cannon outfits and accept any shit a cosplayer wants to wear? They have cannon outfits. Wearing whatever the fuck you want and saying you're cosplaying a character is not acceptable in any other fandom. So why is it that low knowledge is acceptable in MLP? It isn't, you're just shitting on a fandom that you know nothing about.

>> No.9411814

>>9411810
Fandoms designs have been a thing since forever, in pretty much every well cosplayed fandom, what are you even on about?
Yes, you're autistic and cringe and probably the scum of the earth, but I'm having so much fun reading this, so please continue. :^)

>> No.9411815

>>9411810
Variety makes cons more fun. Characters does not have a dress-code, the point is that you are supposed to atleast recognize them.

>> No.9411822
File: 81 KB, 596x960, 6a20f003-8497-4896-b332-d9aaa5a0c3df.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9411815
>>9411814
>put on a bikini and wig

XD TOTALLY LEGIT COSPLAYER YOU GUISE
POOL PARTY, POOL PARTY!

>> No.9411824

>>9411752
Amen anon.

>> No.9411827
File: 142 KB, 1024x1536, 18815699-dda7-40c9-864a-8ae634bea929.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9411814
You guise just don't get it, this is a totally legit cosplay. I know it has nothing to do with the character except the wig, but it's totally legit! What do you mean she's a proud warrior that would never wear anything so revealing? You're just autistic!

>> No.9411829
File: 118 KB, 1280x853, 984b426f-623e-4c32-bbcf-6d4ca78bcfb2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you MEAN this isn't a cosplay? Can't you see the single braid and slight eye makeup? This is totally a "casual clothes" cosplay, DUH

>> No.9411835
File: 125 KB, 1024x1329, 9bae5cad-3aa8-427e-b645-cdcc4cd39d2a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

UGHHHH I just knew you autistic virgins were gonna complain. Just because YOU don't see the cosplay in wearing strictly a mask to identify the character, doesn't mean it's a non-legit cosplay!

So what if the character isn't human and therefore showing this much skin makes absolutely no sense and literally perverts the character?

It's cosplay you guiiiiiiise. Fandumb cosplay, DUHHHHHH

>> No.9411845

>>9411822
>>9411827
>>9411829
>>9411835
The thing is, none of these people care. Do you really think anybody is frothing at the mouth over what people decide to cosplay besides idiots like you? It's dressing up as fictional characters. It's a hobby and, at the end of the day, it's not as serious as some people make it out to be. Sage because I'm sure you're a troll

>> No.9411846

>>9411827
>>9411829
>>9411835
being this autistic

Is it because you got no chance with them anon?

also sauce on pharah she's hot and im gay

>> No.9411851

>>9411822
>>9411827
>>9411829
>>9411835
What do people cosplaying slutty versions of flavorof the month characters have to do with the person you're responding to? You're acting like any divergence from canon at all is offensive. Creating outfits based around characters is a thing in all fandoms, Au versions, gijinka versions, fanart versions, why do you have such a hard time understanding this? There's literally nothing wrong with people taking something they like and edadding their twist, you sound angry that someone who cosplayed your horse waifu didn't look like an actual horse.

And for someone complaining about coswhores you sure had a lot of pictures ready.

>> No.9411863

>>9411822
How did your autistic brain translate "fandom designs" to "a bikini and wig"?
You must be a troll, no one is this stupid, or seek some help. :^)

>> No.9411867

>>9411851
>>9411863

Allowing non-canon cosplays means also including the slutty half assed cosplay in the pictures posted, because they are grouped the same. Whether a cosplay is well made or not, slutty or not, cosplays that are non-canon should not be considered cosplay at all.

It's the same as considering all dresses "lolita" because they have a ruffle somewhere.

Fuck you.

>> No.9411877

>>9411867
>being this autistic
This is the most fun I've had all week, stay mad neckbeard. :^)

>> No.9411882
File: 338 KB, 1000x563, marierosebw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9411863
Actual question of bikini and a wig cosplays? What if that's the actual character?
Pic related- a cosplay I'm working on to offend people who are offended by the game (and specifically marie rose)

>> No.9411890

>>9411882
If it's a canon cosplay, that's absolutely fine.

>> No.9411893

>>9411882
Why are you asking me? If it's canon it's canon, not even autistic-neckbeard-anon can be mad at that.

>> No.9411900

>>9411877
>>9411893
Why do you assume it's a neckbeard?
Could be a girl autistically obssesed with accuracy

>> No.9411908

>>9411900
Nah son, it's gonna be a neckbeard.

>> No.9411947

>>9411900
Definitely a dude.

>> No.9412020
File: 386 KB, 2093x2224, IMG_021.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>at convention
>see girl cosplaying Quiet from MGS
>She's pretty cute, decide I'll try and quiz her
>Before I could get to her she is lost in the crowd, too many people to get through
>Give up
>Convention ends, taking train home
>The Quiet cosplayer is on the train, surprise surprise. Dressed in normy clothes
>Sit on the opposite seat, start talking about MGS
>This dumb bitch doesn't even know most of what I'm talking about.
>She pulls out a phone and pretend talks while facing the window because she's such a fake bitch

Pic related, the dumb fake cosplaying whore

>> No.9412022

>>9412020
I like the fat neck beard in the reflection.
Quite a guy you got there, anon

>> No.9412063

>>9411882
It might be canon, but just a wig and a generic swimsuit combo are pretty boring to look at, with the high probability of bieng mistaken for Generic Twintails Blonde Girl #23, and there's the chance of slut-shaming for showing so much skin.

>> No.9412064

>>9412020
>being this autistic

The saddest thing is, there's no results for reverse image search. Anon, I'm gonna give you like a few more months, can't be much more with all that blubber putting strain on your organs.

>> No.9412075
File: 61 KB, 400x300, IMG_2187.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9412020
>being this pathetic

>> No.9412080

>>9412022
>>9412064
>>9412075
I have thyroid problems. Who cares what I look like, this dumb bitch is cosplaying stuff just so she can dress like a slut in public. At least know about what you're cosplaying

>> No.9412088

>>9412080
>muh genetics

the prime excuse of landwhales everywhere. I'd worry more about myself if I looked like that than if sloots are being sloots.

>> No.9412089

>>9412020
I refuse to believe anybody could be this pathetic

>> No.9412093

>>9412080
You and every other fatty have thyroid problems. So, that's probably a blatant lie.
Its also not an excuse to be as fat as you are. Maybe a little over weight, sure. But not 8 stone over weight.

>> No.9412100

>>9412020
As a girl who's been in this situation, she's probably just trying to disengage from the conversation. She's clearly not in cosplay, alone, and has this fat neck beard stalking her so he can quiz her about if she actually knows MGS. I hope she got home safely, but at the same time I know there was no real danger because you're a pathetic loser who's all talk and no bite lol Also, she could kick your ass if you tried anything. If "fake bitches" piss you off, maybe not go to another con? I'm sure your mom loved hearing this story that night at dinner, or were you so angry that night you had her bring a couple Hot Pockets to the basement you dwell in?

>> No.9412107 [DELETED] 

>>9412020
Let's break this down

a. There's no proof this is the same girl and why are you saying normie clothes like it's a bad thing? You're wearing fucking normie clothes in this too. Is she supposed to be wearing that costume on the train?

2. Most girl hate getting talked to by randos on public transit or in public. At cons there are a lot of people around so girls feel safer wearing costumes and getting approached by strangers. It's because of people like you that I wear headphones when I'm traveling by myself in public spaces

3. Talking to her at all about her cosplay or MGS is a red flag for her because now she's out of the safe space of the convention and there's nothing she can do if you get creepy so avoiding conversation altogether is the best tactic.

>> No.9412110

>>9412020
Let's break this down

1. There's no proof this is the same girl and why are you saying normie clothes like it's a bad thing? You're wearing fucking normie clothes in this too. Is she supposed to be wearing that costume on the train?

2. Most girl hate getting talked to by randos on public transit or in public. At cons there are a lot of people around so girls feel safer wearing costumes and getting approached by strangers. It's because of people like you that I wear headphones when I'm traveling by myself in public spaces

3. Talking to her at all about her cosplay or MGS is a red flag for her because now she's out of the safe space of the convention and there's nothing she can do if you get creepy so avoiding conversation altogether is the best tactic.

>> No.9412116

All of that sounds like stuff that only girls would say to other girls

Guys would just snap pics or ignore

>> No.9412135

>>9412020
BWAHAHAHA look at that reflection! Oh my god, she didn't want to talk to you about your autistic trivia?

Dude, you're lucky she didn't outright point and laugh when you, rotund Cheetos mound you are, took a bitchy tone.

Oh, bless, 4chan and his thread. Wow.

>> No.9412141

>>9412020
I saw this picture used on /pol/ a few times. Bless you for making something I could laugh at anon.

>> No.9412611
File: 396 KB, 736x1844, 08c247dd977d45d394d8fbfad838e01e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9411490
>>9411351
I'm having a tough time understanding the logic behind this cosplay choice. Why would you cosplay as something that you never watched without realizing that it's currently popular? Did they intend to put minimalistic effort into a cosplay so no one would recognize them?

>> No.9412617

>>9411822
>>9411829
We are cosplaying as Dana, Marcy and Paula from Overshot!
We are legit nerd girls!
Please support us on Patreon!
Like us on Instagram for more quality cosplay!

>> No.9412716

>>9412611
OK, here's the logic, even though I've explained this multiple times. They watched a brand new show as the first season aired. They thought it was cute and they had an attachment to the original MLP from their childhoods. They thought it would be fun to come up with humanized costumes, make them, and wear them, so they did.

There were no bronies yet when they decided to make their costumes. There was no "fan canon" and certainly no official one. When they wore and posted their costumes, bronies existed but were a marginal group that was still very much underground and hardly any outsiders knew about them.

Now explain to me the logic behind the choice to mount an organized group assault on a girl's deviantart page because she made a costume that happened to differ from an unofficial design that had been accepted by fans? Do you guys do the same thing to fan artists who draw different costumes on ponies?

You clearly need to realize that your autism gives you a different take on reality from a normal person and accept that you're the one in the wrong.

>> No.9413002

>>9412716
>OK, here's the logic, even though I've explained this multiple times.
No, you've explained that they cosplayed something and that people made rude comments about their cosplay. I have no idea why people were making fun of their cosplay.
>They thought it would be fun to come up with humanized costumes, make them, and wear them, so they did.
And what were they basing their outfit designs on? >>9412611 except line one, these are all humanized outfits that they wore on the show. Also people who rush so they can be "first to cosplay" hardly ever make good costumes.
>There were no bronies yet when they decided to make their costumes.
Equestria Daily started in January 2011 and people were posting about in on /co/ the day it aired. It's impossible that their costumes predated bronies unless they made them before the show started airing.
>There was no "fan canon" and certainly no official one.
see the image in >>9412611
>Now explain to me the logic behind the choice to mount an organized group assault on a girl's deviantart page because she made a costume that happened to differ from an unofficial design that had been accepted by fans?
Welcome to the internet! If you post stupid crap on it, people will let you know!
>You clearly need to realize that your autism gives you a different take on reality
Using a mental disability as an insult while white knighting. Hilarious.
>accept that you're the one in the wrong.
Hold on, I need to laugh even harder.

So we aren't talking about in person experiences here. Do you even know this person who got "attacked" or do you just masturbate to the cosplays she posts online? I'd kind of like to see the cosplay in question just so I know what the hell you're even talking about.

>> No.9413052
File: 34 KB, 480x360, 4e9f656693a19a5fc318bc22eb513c4d0534a670.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9413002

Equestria Girls aired in 2013 though? So as at 2011, there were indeed no official canon human versions?

More interestingly, though. Why aren't you pitchforking that "except one line" that isn't canon? What's the rule here, 80% canon + 20% fanfic is acceptable, >30% fanon is not, sluttershy is immediate disqualification?

Can you name any female cosplayers that you're actually okay with?

>> No.9413062

>>9411460
Delancey would be ashamed of you

>> No.9414159

>>9413052
That image is humanized versions of clothing that they wore on the show in the first 3 seasons. A good chunk of them came from season 1. Line one is how they imagined the would look in casual clothing. Nothing wrong with using any of these as a cosplay reference.

Once again, without seeing the cosplay in question I really don't know where to begin. Since we're dealing with cartoon horses, the most faithful way to cosplay them would be a digitigrade fursuit. But let's say we're humanizing the character. You better nail the wig since that's their most distinctive feature. Since humans don't have fur, the clothing should match their coat color. Including their only other visually identifiable attribute (their cutie mark) would be a good idea.

However if you just said, "gee I think they would wear these kinds of clothes that I have in my closet! Also if they weren't a pony they wouldn't have crazy colored hairs, so no need to dye my hair or get a wig. Hey look guys I'm cosplaying as this thing while not incorporating any visually identifiable traits!"

This is what makes closet, casual and AU cosplay generally bad. If no one knows what you're supposed to be without you telling them, it's a problem.

>>9413062
Who's Delancey? I'm pretty sure you're referring to John de Lancie. If shaming tactics worked on bronies, you wouldn't have grown men watch cartoons, particularly one made for girls. It's kind of lame to try and tell an entire fandom how they should think and act. Go back to tumblr.

>> No.9414232

>>9414159

True, without seeing the actual cosplays it is indeed hard to say if some criticism isn't unwarranted. I don't think the other anon is going to come back and post a link, though, since you seem very set on arguing that bronies have the right to be assholes towards any cosplayer they consider "insulting the fanbase", amorphous as this criteria is.

I did just want to point out. The image you posted isn't canon either. It's closer to canon, yes, but it's still fanon. And while I can understand the really bad closet cosplays where no one knows what the character is is bad (we have a thread for that btw >>9410380 ). I think if the Lunar Republic and Solar Empire can be allowed to exist, gamer Luna in socks is a thing, then surely a handful of girls who decide to (for example) crossover Sailor Moon and MLP isn't really worth your nerd rage? At that point all of it is fan-generated material that's nowhere close to canon anyway. Let the girls have their girly crossovers, there's enough room for you to ignore them even if you don't understand what the crossover is.

>> No.9414331

>>9411648
>Thinking that AUs are acceptable when EQG exists

Hate to break it to you, but AUs and gjinkas are common in all fandoms, buddy boy. MLP isn't special.

Also I guess you aren't a "real" fan since you haven't realized that those girls were probably cosplaying gjinka/humanized versions of the ponies who live in Equestria. EQG is an alternate, modern day universe of humans where everyone dresses like a highschooler. If someone wants to cosplay actual horse Rarity, her outfit isn't going to look like she's on her way to school.

>> No.9414340

>>9414232
I just hate bad cosplays. Some people seem to think that bad cosplay should be acceptable in the MLP fandom cause "Hurr durr their horses not humans!" And to be honest, MLP cosplay does have a very low bar so if someone was getting attacked for having a bad cosplay, it had to be REALLY bad! Either that or it was anti-brony /b/tards orchestrating the attack in which case, not bronies at all.

There's plenty of room for interpretation and crossplay within any fandom, but there is a bare minimum expectation. If someone posted an image on social media of them wearning socks. a gray hoodie, a ps3 headset and holding a controller and said "look, I'm gamer luna!" with no wig or other character markings/traits then that would also be a bad cosplay. That's because gamer Luna's attire is typical of what a gamer might wear and has nothing to do with Luna in particular.

Here's a picture of a well done Twilight as a sailor scout. She did enough with the props and accessories to clearly tell that she is Twilight Sparkle and the Tiara and sailor fuku shows that she's a sailor scout.

>> No.9414342
File: 43 KB, 481x720, good_ts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9414340
dropped the pic

>> No.9414346

>>9414340
I agree... I've seen some genuinely great looking MLP cosplays, especially when someone makes the gala outfits or a ballgown interpretation. There's a very wide range of great to bad in the fandom but good interpretations aren't rare.

>> No.9414350
File: 55 KB, 400x600, bad_ts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9414340
And here is an example of a bad Twilight as a sailor scout. Sure I can tell it's a sailor scout but there aren't enough defining characteristics to tell that it's supposed to be Twilight. The lack of accessories and bad wig is the main problem here. It isn't bad because it's a crossover, it's bad because it's poorly executed. That just happens to be more common with AUs.

>> No.9414391

>>9414331
So you would consider someone in normal clothing is a cosplayer of a superhero since they don't wear their superhero outfit all the time?

It would be like someone seeing a picture of Ryo Ohki and trying to make Gijinka of that. Anyone who has ever watched Tenchi Muyo can tell you why this is ridiculous.

And don't get me started on people who wear bikinis and say they're a pokemon.

>> No.9414428
File: 45 KB, 550x335, ryo-ohki.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9414391
Ignoring what obvious bait this is becoming, Ryo Ohki does have a humanoid form. Your examples keep getting shittier.

>> No.9414434

>>9414428
Different anon but I think that was the point of
>Anyone who has ever watched Tenchi Muyo can tell you why this is ridiculous.
They're talking about making you own Gijinka based off of her cabbit form and not knowing about the canon ones. (I think)

>> No.9414466

>fat girls, "what a pig"
>skinny girls, "her face is ugly" "her tits aren't big enough
>hot girls, "yeah, but she's not a REAL nerd girl, she just wants attention"

>> No.9414469

>>9414428
So what you're going to tell me is "I'm not cosplaying Rarity from EQG, I'm cosplaying as gijinka rarity from MLP, so I don't have to wear what EQG rarity is wearing nor do I have to make an outfit based on anything she wore in MLP because I can wear what I think pony Rarity's daily attire would be and call that cosplay!"

>> No.9414481

>>9414469
Yeah that's exactly what we're telling you. That's the thing about gjinkas, you get to design them however you want.

And again, EQG Rarity is literally a highschool AU version of pony Rarity. They aren't the same character so the existence of EQG doesn't magically mean nobody is allowed to make gjinkas anymore.

>> No.9414493

>>9409971
>>9409970

Lol I wish people were this direct and mean in real life maybe the fatties would stay home then. But no most people at conventions are civil.

This honestly tells me more about the author than nerds at conventions. Most people couldn't come up with such creative ways to call someone ugly or fat..

>> No.9414498

>>9412080

Are you getting treated? If you're untreated that's a valid excuse, but once you get it medicated, you should be able to stay on a diet regimen and lose weight without wanting to kill yourself.

>> No.9414510

>>9410918
oh my god, why do you need to know if they're a "fan or a coswhore", what are you even doing with the information other than trying to make yourself feel superior?

>> No.9414521
File: 12 KB, 250x250, 1489646421921.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9410941
>They starve themselves cause they have ugly faces

>> No.9414622

>>9413002
>Using a mental disability as an insult while white knighting. Hilarious.

The fact that you thought that was an insult just confirms that you have the disability in question, as does the fact that you don't know what "white knighting" is.

Yes, I know the cosplayers in question. I first heard this story while out to lunch with them. Of course I won't post pictures and drag them into this, in fact I can't even find pictures on their pages anymore, but I can assure you that the costumes were tasteful, well-made, and looked perfectly fine to anybody who wasn't neck-deep in brony culture.

I think your major issue is this assumption that every cosplayer only makes and wears costumes in an attempt to get something out of a series' fanbase. That may be true of a small number of cosplayers but the majority are still done for the fun of making and wearing the costume, and this was certainly no exception, particularly since the girls in question didn't even know there WAS a fanbase at the time.

>> No.9414930

>>9414622
At this point, your story of a female cosplayer with a "tasteful, well-made, and looked perfectly fine to anybody who wasn't neck-deep in brony culture" is purely anecdotal. And like much of the hate stories about bronies in the early fandom, you have no evidence to prove it ever happened in the first place. You sound just like the idiots who were all over the internet trying to give bronies a bad name. Talk trash but have nothing but personal stories about how bad they are or cherrypick the worst of the worst videos on youtube to "represent the fandom" like they weren't the ones making them.

Let me in on a secret. If it was "perfectly fine" we wouldn't be having this conversation. Let's take it a step further.
> looked perfectly fine to anybody who wasn't neck-deep in brony culture.
So basically the costume looks fine as long as you've never watched the show. How the hell does that even work? I'm sure any costume would "look fine" as long as you had no idea what the character is supposed to look like.

Your friend made a bad cosplay. Get over it.

>> No.9414992

>>9414930
>You sound just like the idiots who were all over the internet trying to give bronies a bad name

What, you mean like you? You do realize that you've spent this entire thread making your entire community look incredibly irrational and offensive, right?

The bad name comes from exactly the kinds of things you're doing - being confrontational and incredibly rude to people because their opinion about how to enjoy a cartoon differs from yours. Normal people don't do things like posting "bad examples" of cosplay in a public thread and thinking the people in them "deserve" to be shamed for not conforming to your preferences. Your behavior is EXACTLY the kind of behavior my friends experienced in the comments and messages they received.

This thread stopped being about my friends a long time ago. This is about you, and people like you, using your fandom to justify behavior that is completely unacceptable. If you don't understand that you seriously need to get off 4chan and seek therapy.

By the way, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but I've only been a few of the replies to you in this thread. The majority have been from other anons. I know that people like you tend to perceive arguments on 4chan as being with a single person, so I wanted to make that clear.

>> No.9415264

>>9414992
I know you and the person who thinks gijinka are quality cosplay are probably two different people. The person who is trying to tell me what is and isn't cannon when they obviously knows nothing is probably a different person as well.

You're too afraid to say anything about why your "friend" was being attacked, just that she was and that is unacceptable behavior! People don't post bad cosplays on /cgl/? There are MULTIPLE THREADS about that right now! Where do you think you are? At this point you've abandoned talking about your friends cosplay and tried to make it about me because you know you can no longer justify saying it was perfect or nothing was wrong with it when everyone knows that obviously something was, but you can't/won't tell or show us what!

The original theme of this thread was neckbeards pointing out any small imperfection and making fun of fat cosplay. I don't find that acceptable. Expecting praise while putting in absolutely no effort is at the complete other end of the spectrum and is also not acceptable behavior. I can separate the way people act on different social medias. I don't come to /cgl/ to be nice, I come here for brutal honesty while realizing that people here are assholes. There are multiple MLP cosplays in the bad cosplay thread right now that I'm not even gonna disagree with, though someone there did. As for the images I used, I got them on google. You put it on the internet and it's fair game kiddo!

>> No.9415329

>>9415264

I was the one trying to tell you half the stuff you "approve" of is not canon anyway.

Do you have a different definition of what canon is? Here's mine:
Exact character from the series = canon
Exact character from EqG = canon
Exact character from print media (comics, books, etc) = canon
doll or pony made by Hasbro = canon

What did I miss? Everything else has to be fanon, right?

So no matter how much you "approve" of a fanart because their clothes are much closer to those that appear in the series, it doesn't change that it's still fanart, it's not canon for the ponies to be human-shaped, and any changes to their outfits are also fanart.

You miss a big chunk of why it's unacceptable for neckbeards to point out imperfections and make fun of fat cosplay. A key part of it is that these neckbeards think the entire world revolves around them, and literally can't comprehend someone else's perspective. Case in point. We don't agree with your narrow selection of "approved" pony art. And here you are stating repeatedly, your opinion has to be the right one, because it's the only one that matters, right? So long as you're not complaining cosplayers are fat it's totally okay to whine that some random girl out there on the internet isn't doing what you tell her to, right? Can you really not see that's the part that people are trying to tell you is wrong?

>> No.9415380

>>9415329
I already said there's a lot of room for interpretation in MLP cosplay, but it's ridiculous to say that there is no basis for clothes on the premise that they normally don't wear clothes. Though the image in question was fanart, besides the base first line, everything was based on an outfit they wore in the show. That's quite a bit of clothing for characters that "don't wear clothes," isn't it?

I'll repeat it because you consistently miss this part. THE CLOTHES IN THAT "FANART" WERE ALL BASED ON CLOTHES THAT THEY WORE ON THE SHOW! It's just easier to use that than create a collage of screen shots. Since the characters wore those outfits, say it with my now, ON THE SHOW, it means it isn't fanon, it's canon even by your own definition.

Are we clear on that now?

So moving on, now that we established that there ARE canon outfits to base your cosplay on, just wearing something out of your closet and saying you're cosplaying a character while having no distinguishing features so people will know what you're supposed to be without you telling them is just simply a bad cosplay.

If we go look at the rules listed for cosplay contests you will constantly see a phrase that goes something like "No costume is no costume." What that means is that normal clothing and a wig is NOT a costume!

Copying an outfit from a show is cosplay!
Wearing some clothes from your closet and a wig is NOT cosplay!
Even if you do count that as cosplay, it's still poor quality cosplay.

>> No.9415398

>>9411739
>"can't come up with original cosplay ideas"
>mad about anthropomorphized pony cosplays before they were canon

>> No.9415410

>>9415264
>You're too afraid to say anything about why your "friend" was being attacked

What is there to say that I haven't said? They were being attacked because the designs they chose from their costumes differed from the ones favored by fans, and I strongly suspect much of the abuse was motivated by the general exclusionary attitude that the brony community, including yourself, so often show. In this thread alone you've based most of your arguments on the premise that you are a "real" fan and that the victims of your abuse aren't.

My point, and that of others, has been and will continue to be that being a member of a large subset of a fandom doesn't give you the right to dictate how other fans enjoy a show, and it doesn't let you say that somebody isn't a fan because they're not part of your community. I know a number of people who greatly enjoy the show and have watched every episode but do not participate in the "community" because of its attitude, and I think that's ridiculous because their fandom is completely based on the series itself and its official offshoots, unlike the Brony scene, which involves a ton of fan work and a substantial amount of completely inappropriate porn.

You keep accusing my friends' cosplays of being "low effort" and that was absolutely not the case. As I said before, they were well-designed, very well made, and very much in keeping with the designs in the series. These costumes were made from scratch and the wigs were exactly as they should have been. The criticism came from the fact that designed their own original outfits based on the general style and personality of their chosen ponies.

I initially came to this thread, believe it or not, to complain about the OP comic's unfair portrayal of neckbeards, as my experience with similar guys in the anime community has been the opposite. Then somebody mentioned a bad MLP fan experience, I replied with my friends', and then you showed up to prove the comic right.

>> No.9415423

>>9415380
>So moving on, now that we established that there ARE canon outfits to base your cosplay on, just wearing something out of your closet and saying you're cosplaying a character while having no distinguishing features so people will know what you're supposed to be without you telling them is just simply a bad cosplay.
>If we go look at the rules listed for cosplay contests you will constantly see a phrase that goes something like "No costume is no costume." What that means is that normal clothing and a wig is NOT a costume!

Now I've refreshed and seen this, and I'm even more confused.

Where the hell are you getting this idea that it was a closet cosplay? Did you not read my posts when replying to them or are you incapable of normal logical deduction? Here are some quotes:
>...with their original MLP-inspired costumes...
>These girls started their costumes immediately after Season 1 of new MLP...
>The costumes were also good. The girls in question have won multiple craftsmanship awards at major cons...
> They thought it would be fun to come up with humanized costumes, make them, and wear them, so they did.

That's just a few. I think I pretty clearly established that these were original costumes, designed and made by skilled costume makers.

Also, another thing I need to clarify, because I talked to one of the people in question, is that the costumes were actually started PRIOR to S1, around the time the first trailers were released, and were completed and worn midway through its run. The sudden wave of abuse actually came several months after they posted photos of their costumes, and numerous comments were posted and messages sent in a very short period. (My guess as to why that happened is that one person found the pictures and shared the link on a forum or group.) The majority of the comments and messages did not even address the costumes themselves but rather were crude insults coupled with accusations that the girls were not real fans etc.

>> No.9415560

>>9415380
Different anon - would you consider any fan version of MLP a good cosplay? Going by your criteria, if it is not based on a piece of clothing the horse wore, even if it very well constructed or elaborate, will it still be "not cosplay"?

>> No.9415565

>>9409970
HamBeast Prime comic would be an awesome answer to this comic

>> No.9415656

>>9414510
To decide whether or not they're worth talking to.

When you want to discuss your favorite anime, would you rather discuss it with someone who knows nothing about it or someone who knows about it?

>> No.9415677

>>9411822
>>9411827
>>9411829
>>9411835
I would just tell these people they're doing awesome Dead Or Alive cosplays and list off some character with the same hair color. If they tried to correct me I'd apologize and say "Oh, sorry about the mistake. I guess the costumes from the DOA series are pretty generic."

>> No.9415787

>>9415656
>To decide whether or not they're worth talking to.

>implying the kind of neckbeard jackass who has to quiz girls has the social standing to decide who's "worth" it.

buddy, save urself the effort, you are definitely not worth their time and none of them want to talk to your fedora ass to start with.

>> No.9415829

>>9415787
What are you talking about.

I'm not talking about deciding whether or not society should include the person or whether they're socially fit or whatever.
I'm saying I'd decide whether or not it's worth it for ME to talk to them.

It's not worth talking to someone about your interests unless they are either familiar with it or you're trying to interest them in it (in my opinion). I'm not trying to be elitist, it's just that conversation is an investment of time and energy and I'd rather invest it in conversing with someone who is familiar with the subject unless I am interested enough in them (and they're interested enough in it) for me to introduce them to it.

>> No.9415857

>>9415829
You sound like the kind of person I wouldn't ever want to talk to even if we did have the same interests. Nobody likes a pretentious asshole, especially one that thinks they're an authority on a cartoon

>> No.9415858

>>9415677
In the case of me, I would be wearing a DOAX cosplay.

>> No.9415862

>>9415858
Then I'd actually recognize the character?

>> No.9415973

>>9415857
That... you don't make any sense at all.
Do you walk up to random people and start talking about lolita with them?
No?
Then why are you saying that I should be walking up to random people and talk about whatever game I'm interested in if they don't know anything about it except how the characters look?

It's the same shit, except the difference is if the person was wearing an entire AP coord (accessories and all) and said "Never heard of "lolita before"

>> No.9415985

>>9412080
You being a fatty isn't what is pathetic about that picture and the fact that you don't know that just makes you more pathetic desu

>> No.9415989

I'm cosplaying from a game I've never played before in a couple months bc my friends need another person for their group....fight me??

>> No.9416006

>>9415410
>>9415423
The problem is your story keeps changing, so I have to infer different details based on what you said. I had to assume that they were god-awful closet cosplays because the bar for MLP cosplay is set really low. A coat-colored t-shirt with a cutie mark on it and a half-decent wig qualifies as a good MLP cosplay. If lots of people were telling them that they were horribly off, it was probably true. Now knowing that they made the costumes prior to S1 and the complaints came post S1, I can guess that the G4 personalities were not taken into account at all. In previous gens Rainbow Dash always wore the latest fashions and Applejack was a silly pony. Nothing like the G4 characters we know and love today.

So from what you're telling me now, which has changed once again, is that they decided to make MLP costumes because MLP was getting a reboot. They decided to base their costumes on the previous gens and when they posted it on the internet after S1, because they didn't bother watching the new show, everything ended up not fitting the new personalities. If they had stated that they were cosplaying as the older generation versions of the characters rather than the new ones, there would have been no reason for ridicule.

Does this sound about right or am I still missing details?

>> No.9416030

>>9411298
>I rather be a dumbass than informed

This is why Trump won

>> No.9416043

>>9411242
The author is a guy himself anon,

Like isn't it obvious to me that this comic is a joke comic?

>> No.9416052

>>9415973
>assuming I wear lolita
Bad comparison in general but I'm a cosplayer and based on everything you've said in this thread, I think it's safe to say that you're an asshole. It's not that anyone has an issue with you wanting to talk to someone that's interested in XYZ, it's that you think everyone has to abide by some ridiculous 'cosplay rules' that you made up.

Not everyone at a con is obligated to talk to you about something even if they're dressed from that series and, sometimes, people wear cosplays from something they haven't seen/played/etc.

I've seen plenty of people wearing cosplays from shows that I enjoy and I never once have felt the need to quiz them or see if they're a 'true fan'. At the end of the day, people can cosplay whatever they want and they don't need to be quizzed on it just so you can pat yourself on the back for 'exposing' someone.

>> No.9416091

>>9416052
I get no pleasure finding out that someone is cosplaying a character only for attention.

There is only despair.

>> No.9416095

>>9416091
Not that anon but you sound like a sperge

>> No.9416098

>>9416091
Jesus you sound insufferable. A person who hasn't seen/read/whatever the source material could be cosplaying for a variety of reasons:
>friends dragged them into it
>interesting design
>challenging or intricate construction methods
>flavor of them month (as you put it, for the attention)
>interested in the source but is only just starting to get into it

But gatekeeping is sure to repel any interested parties in whatever fandom you're into.

>> No.9416146

>>9416098
>Gatekeeping
In what way?

"Hey, that's a pretty great cosplay. Did you like X"
"Oh I haven't actually seen X"
"Ah, okay. You should check it out"
>walk away

How is that gate keeping? You all make it seem as though I attack people in real life or online about it. Only time or place I've stated my opinion is here and now. Obviously I can't change anything about people doing whatever, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be mad about it.
I haven't ever told anyone "you shouldn't cosplay because you haven't experienced the source material" or outwardly shown my disapproval.

Maybe I misunderstand your meaning of "quizzing" or whatever. I ask a quick question about the source material and if they don't know it, I leave it. The question is something I want to discuss, not like a "what color was X wearing". Opinion based stuff. The point being to start conversation. Finding out that they're familiar or unfamiliar with source material kind of comes with it, despite not being the intent.

>> No.9416332

Mind you, some of the issues with 'bigger' girls is not that they are bigger, it's that they don't know how to dress. A girl can dress for her body shape no matter what weight she is. If one creates their costume from scratch, there's even less of an excuse not to have a proper fit. We've had threads for bigger girls with relative success. If someone squeezes themselves into a dress, distorting the dress in the process, they simply look bad. There's enough bigger girls who pull off multiple styles and cosplays that, 'Oh, nothing fits me,' is not a good excuse.

There are the, 'Ha, ha, your fat,' trolls, but that's not everyone on /cgl/.

>> No.9416347
File: 1.20 MB, 600x338, autist party.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thank G-d I was never a nerd

>> No.9416350

>>9416347
You're here aren't you?

>> No.9416375

>>9416350
Here having a laugh at your expense. Gimme your lunch money

>> No.9418420

>>9413002
(We're letting you know that you are posting stupid crap on the Internet right now)

>> No.9418426

>>9414159
Do you want a spelling bee trophy? He'd still be disappointed in your anti-people ways. Did you even watch that documentary bruh?

>> No.9418427

>>9416347
You fucking censored "god" you gay ass, retarded, nigger cunt.

>> No.9418445

>>9415787
Inb4 IT'S A TRILBY NOT A FEDORA STUPID BITCH DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE TRIBES ARE CLASSY AND SINATRA WORE ONE SO SHUT YOUR WHOLE SLUT MOUTH I DIDN'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU ANYWAYS

>> No.9418528

>>9416146
Not the anons you were talking to, but yeah I think you misunderstood the entire thing.

>"Hey, that's a pretty great cosplay. Did you like X"
>"Ah, okay. You should check it out"

is okay to do, I sometimes have been in that situation and instead, I just compliment their outfit or craftsmanship. Just don't be a dick or creepy.

>sage for noncontribution

>> No.9418685

>>9418427
Please refrain from the use of profanity