[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 618 KB, 800x438, godwhy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8908206 No.8908206 [Reply] [Original]

Check out this video of Vic lasanga yelling at some "you're all going to hell" protesters.
https://youtu.be/LVt81yaqv4s

I was actually just at this con myself today and saw these people, they frequent cons in the area and usually get asked to leave.

>> No.8908213

>>8908206
Oh man, I hate these protesters too. Vic Mceggnog can be a dick sometimes but I think he's completely in the right telling off the "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL" guys.

>> No.8908220

>>8908213
Agreed, but at the same time I don't think they should be given any attention either. Just ignore 'em.

>> No.8908232

>>8908206
I'm a christian and thr way they spread the message...
I just can't...

>> No.8908241
File: 113 KB, 278x400, 5vwPkEd.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I. I'm not even religious but that was honestly a little touching desu

>> No.8908250

vic is the hero cosplay deserves

>> No.8908254

>>8908250
If he wasn't creepy and an asshole sometimes yeah, sure.

>> No.8908257

It's things like this that make Vic shine way more than his shitty Christmas albums he sells in July.

>> No.8908265
File: 51 KB, 500x585, tumblr_niq6dfaArN1rrda62o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That warmed by stone cold heart

just a little bit

>> No.8908334

>>8908206
These asshats remind me of the guy that hangs around my university occasionally. He stands around in a public area and tells everyone they are going to hell.

Most students know that he is actively trying to provoke an attack so that he can sue the attacker and the university. Although there are a few who will get in verbal arguments with him. I did hear a story of a lesbian couple that made out in front of him for a few minutes. He yelled my brother (who is pretty goth looking) was going to hell and my brother responded by yelling "Woo Hoo".

Props to Vic I don't think I could have stayed as calm as Vic in that situation. I avoid these people for a reason.

>> No.8908369

>vic being a christcuck
>oh what a surprise he's a pedo
>getting worked by guys that intentionally provoke response

DEUS VULT ON EVERYONE INVOLVED

>> No.8908520

>>8908206
Vic's showing off some of his trademark ego in this, but at least it's for a good cause. Their responses are so preprogrammed it's disgusting. I agree that you shouldn't engage these people, but Vic's knows how to work a crowd, so he can get a lot more mileage out of it.

We had a guy like this at my university, too; the best response I saw was a guy who was clearly a theater major starting up a song circle around him. It was some folksy hippy thing, and it completely shut the guy down. If you argued with him, or tried to offend him, he could shout back at you, but he couldn't do anything about singing; it drowned out his speech, and if he yells at people for singing peacefully, he looks like even more of a dick.

>> No.8908614

If I didn't know this person I'd think it was a parody, but she's completely serious. Stumbled onto it after she spammed the Harucon event with her "manga"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl4y-r9i408&feature=youtu.be

>> No.8908812

Ahh. He just got a little cooler in my book lol. I might just have to give him a fist bump for this when i see him at the next con in a few months.

>> No.8908878

>>8908206
I asked my super religious mom what she thought of people like this. Can a mom disown so-called members of her own religion? Because I think mine did.

>> No.8908895

I refuse to believe these people are actually Christian. I feel like it's some elaborate hoax, but I can't figure out the real motive.

>> No.8908897
File: 110 KB, 720x960, uwFKD10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

NC con regular here

These people have started showing up at all of the conventions here in NC. And what do you expect? We are (shamefully) the buckle of the Bible Belt. Usually we just kinda brush them off and ignore them, and some people play games with them. It just kind of became part of the experience.

After going through the horrid weeaboo/Vic-loving stage, and coming to terms with him just being a douche, this makes me respect him.

Vic does sermons on the sunday of every con he attends. I don't know if people really go to it, but he does it anyway. If anyone was able to step up to them with some backup, its him.

Good job Vic. You may not have really stopped them, or even changed their minds, but you showed the con community that these people are jokes.

>> No.8908904

>>8908895
Kinda like WBC, these kinds of religious protesters are there to start shit more than anything. They're dying for someone to get into a physical fight with them so they can sue for money and act like they're such a poor poor victim.

>> No.8908910

>>8908897
Never forget.
https://youtu.be/jH0mHotWOcQ?t=3m

>> No.8908911

>>8908910
Shit my bad, skip to 3 minutes in.

>> No.8908912

>MY interpretation of this bronze age book is correct, because reasons!
>no, MINE is!

this is all i see

>> No.8908931
File: 338 KB, 633x1000, 1374627636030.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8908936

>>8908897
I'm from NC too and they show up at a lot events around the area from pride parades to political events. A lot of younger folks try to talk to them and engage them to get a reaction but they're not worth anyone's time. I actually sort of feel bad for them because it seems like all they do with their lives is tell people that they're going to burn in hell.

>> No.8908938
File: 169 KB, 540x720, tumblr_n8bthlvKfr1r81mwro1_540.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8908931

>> No.8908940
File: 114 KB, 1049x777, vicmigvic.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8908206
>Those tight-lipped smiles as the protesters pretend to listen to McNugget and try to think about what to say next

Also, pic related not cringe, but obligatory.

>> No.8908990

>>8908895
>see's these protestors at convention.
>make small group in front of signs
>take group photo.
Never engage these people folks. But feel free to treat them like a tourist attraction.

>> No.8908996

>>8908897
>pizza

>> No.8909012

>>8908940
the fact that nia's dumb trip is the reply is triggering me.

>> No.8909225
File: 924 KB, 400x400, youlikeit.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8908910
Need to get some skimpy dressed female cosplayers to dance around in front of him and when he pops a chubby ridicule him mercilessly that he is going to hell.

>> No.8910179

>>8908614
Why is she saying lolitas love slaves?

>> No.8910202

>>8908940
Why is Vic so bad?

Did I miss something?

>> No.8910496 [DELETED] 

>>8910202
Someone who has clearly never spent personal time with Vic.

I unfortunately have.

I've worked for Vic around years. Without getting too detailed, let's just put it this way. I understand everyone is different behind closed doors, but he's unrecognizable.

I've never met another anime guest that has ever been so belittling to volunteers and guests. When I see weebs get excited about him as a person it makes me disgusted until I remember they don't know any better.

>> No.8910520

>>8910202
He's generally rude to con staff and acts like a primadonna wherever he goes. Not to mention his fanbase can be obnoxious.

>> No.8910521
File: 305 KB, 720x619, 1443113737577.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8908206
>those stone smiles from the protestors
>Vic's "they have to know god loves them" when some probably aren't even religious
>the back and forth that clearly isn't going anywhere
>Vic getting increasingly aggressive and raising tone when he first started out near-whisper and calm thinking he could change minds
>Vic fucking yelling, walking away, coming back, and causing a scene

The bible clearly shows that god is wrathful, the protestors are right. There's also a bunch of bullshit lifestyle rules that get cherrypicked because no christian wants to adhere to them. But the reason is because the character of god was written by various people, hence 'god' in the bible has varying humanistic flaws. Not that Vic was ever professional but I know people who have been fired for less.

>> No.8910544

Is Vic the type of guy you would find at a Donald Trump rally?

>> No.8910578

I love to hate Vic. It gives me life. Does anyone else feel this way?

>> No.8910605
File: 39 KB, 385x385, 3684385318361.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8908206

>tfw everyone you know has met vic lasanga at least once
>I met him 8 years ago, back when I was a wittle scared con cub
>see him pretty much every year at a con walking around
>pretty much a living con meme now

Where did the time go? It feels like yesterday when I met him playing piano.
I don't ever care about the guy, it's just that he's become part of the culture.
Something feels off when he isn't attending and i'm not routinely avoiding his panels etc.

feelsbadman.jpg

>> No.8910610

Perhaps Vic is atoning for his own sins against the con community by doing this.

Propably not but meh.

>> No.8910613

>>8910605

There's a con I go to every year that Vic is almost always at, and somehow, without fail, I always run into him. Every year I tell my friends I am NOT going to see Vic anywhere, and I'll mistakenly end up in a line for his autograph, see him walking around, go to the wrong panel room and end up at his panel instead of what I wanted... I understand that feel, anon. It's kind of a comfort to know he's there. Even though I want to avoid him.

>> No.8910626

>>8910605
>met him in person about 6 years ago
>backstage at cosplay contest he was hosting
>freaking out at everyone because nobody had a wig cap for his wig or some shit
>hand him one of my wig nets bc that's the best literally anyone could do
>snatches it from me grumbling
>some staff peasant finally sources a cap
>throws my wig net to the ground
>doesn't say another word
He's honestly one of the most uncomfortable people to be around and I can't imagine how tone-deaf his fans must be to tolerate his attitude.

>> No.8910702

>>8908206
But did he invite them to his church panel?

>> No.8911354
File: 134 KB, 340x340, VF3T3yw.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This happened at Triad. I was there to witness this. :P

>> No.8912386
File: 999 KB, 245x169, deadpool-heaven-or-hell.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8908931

>> No.8912416

I'm wondering how long it'll take these assholes to start turning up at UK conventions. The UK isn't as religious as the US but i'm sure there are some waddling around.

>> No.8914283 [DELETED] 

What exactly did these Christians do so wrong that they deserve to get yelled at and personally insulted? Nothing on their signage or what they say in the video is even offensive. They're not saying anything that isn't in accordance with orthodox Christian doctrine. They're just spreading the gospel. If Christians only ever preached in places where Christ's message was "welcome," or did so in a way that never hurt anyone's precious little feelings, then the gospel would never even get preached at all. They're not even "protesting" the con itself.

>>8908213
>I hate these...
>>8908334
>asshats
>>8908520
>disgusting
>dicks
>>8908897
>shameful
>jokes
>>8912416
>assholes

Well it's a good thing that we're all so much more loving and tolerant than these awful bigoted Christians. ^_^

>>8910521
>There's also a bunch of bullshit lifestyle rules that get cherrypicked because no christian wants to adhere to them.
The New Testament and the writings of the Church Fathers make it very clear that parts of the Mosaic laws no longer "apply" to Christians, especially gentile Christians, because Christ fulfilled them. Vid related explains it broadly, although it doesn't go into much detail on this fascinating subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2m_cffRjI

>> No.8914285 [DELETED] 

>>8914283
because they're going to conventions and universities intentionally to spout their crap at people they *know* aren't interested, just because their magic sky man book said that if you wear a costume or fuck someone before marrying them, you are a bad person.

then again you sound like you're about to go on a tirade to defend the WBC so why am I even replying

>> No.8914290 [DELETED] 

>>8914283
I didn't know housewife-chan was Christian.

>> No.8914294

can't we just use this thread to share cringy stories of vic migwhoganu? I like reading those.

>> No.8914297 [DELETED] 

>>8914285
>because they're going to conventions and universities intentionally to spout their crap at people they *know* aren't interested
Speak for yourself. I go to cons and I have a degree and I'm very interesting in Christ's message.

>just because their magic sky man book said that if you wear a costume or fuck someone before marrying them, you are a bad person.
There's nothing wrong with wearing costumes. Dressing immodestly in order to provoke lust in strangers is sinful, though, just as fornication is sinful. You don't even need the Bible to teach you that, just common sense. We're all bad people. If we don't repent of the sins we've committed and turn to God to help us become better people, then yes, we'll remain bad people. There's nothing wrong with saying that to people, even if they don't want to hear it, especially if they don't want to hear it.

>then again you sound like you're about to go on a tirade to defend the WBC so why am I even replying
Cool straw man.

>> No.8914299

>>8908206
>>8908910
>Protestors here are the exact same.
> OP's video is 2016
> Second is 2014

Do these people just have nothing to do on the weekend of Animazement? These same exact two people make time out of their lives to protest at this one convention for 3 years in a row. What dedication.

>> No.8914302 [DELETED] 
File: 176 KB, 646x1236, christ_chan_by_maldraw-d9onn03[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8914290
I come from /pol/ and /christian/ and I'm male. I just visited this board to see what females 4chan users talk about.

>> No.8914308

>>8914302
Literally kill yourself

>> No.8914315

>>8914308
That would be a mortal sin.

>> No.8914321 [DELETED] 

>>8914302
I have a feeling you're a troll so 10/10 for making me reply to bait.
The reason people are so upset at this is because they are doing it in an offensive way. Personally, as a christian-gull, I feel you in a way, but I still find what these guys are doing wrong.
They are using scare tactics to convert people into religion with signs like this:
>>8908897
And saying stuff like in OP's video "Jesus said those who do not repent shall feel the wrath."
Vic comes over to them and tells them
>"This isn't going to work. Tell them Jesus loves them, because that is what they need to hear."
They reply, screaming over him:
>"Jesus said those who those who don't repent shall feel the wrath"
These people are here to guilt everyone into Christianity and it's offensive. It's why even christian people hate the "God Hates Fags" signs.
How are you going to spread the word of the Bible? Easy. Scream that they are going to a place of eternal damnation if they don't agree with your ideals. Why not tell them about Jesus' love? They way they represent themselves they seem like they aren't there to help and convert others, but to yell and guilt them for being sinners. That's just not how you get people to respect you or your beliefs. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

>Tl;dr: These people are trying to guilt people at conventions into being proper Christians by yelling how their going to go to hell. People find this highly offensive, therefore get mad and won't listen.

>> No.8914348 [DELETED] 

>>8914321
I guarantee you that I'm not trolling.

God is a god of both love and wrath. "Kumbaya" and "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" are both fine Christian messages.

Honestly, the gospel should always be "offensive" to the world a degree. (Matthew 10:34)

I wouldn't evangelize the way these Christians do simply because I agree that their approach lacks tact and sophistication, but I won't condemn them for it. I'm not going to falsely portray God as a lukewarm, wishy-washy Unitarian everybody-gets-saved, sin-isn't-sin kind of god just to make Him more palatable to unbelievers. That kind of pandering has never saved anyone, and never will. When evangelizing, we need to strike a good balance, not exclusively rely on either "spin." The focus should be on redemption of souls rather than the condemnation of sin, but that condemnation is still in the picture.

>> No.8914352 [DELETED] 

>>8914321
>>8908206
>>8908232
>>8908334

The true intention of these people is never to convert people. They are doing it just to show off, that they are acting along their more or less acurate morals of their religion. It has as much substance as any other 'activism' has, as it is pure reactionism to circumstances, people, events they just happen to don't like (and are st the end unwilling/unable to make realisitc, effective and therefore actually effort taking strategies to changes those). But they don't care, because in their minds they are 'the good ones' to do it. They earn their self satisfaction with it, by celebrating themselves for doing the 'right thing' having their 'activism as their medium to demonstrate that to the outside world. Which is pretty ironic, considering that even in the bible hypocrisy and boasting (mt 6,1-18) is condemned. srsly fuck thos smug pieces of shit.

>> No.8915493 [DELETED] 
File: 25 KB, 500x388, Get a Load of This Guy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8914283
So... protesting a light-hearted event like a convention and telling people they're going to hell (obviously because they are disgusting sinners) is not something you see as being wrong?

>> No.8915513

>>8914352
To piggyback they also want someone to attack them or start a riot with them so it will get on the news and get them exposure, pity and maybe a juicy lawsuit. Cosplayers are easy targets because they attract a lot of attention and they want one of our crazies to go after them.

>> No.8916547 [DELETED] 

>>8915493
Granted, that kind of protest is not very effective evangelization, but there's nothing wrong with warning people against hell. In fact it's only a merciful thing to do if you're a Christian.

What this Vic guy, and many others are essentially doing is demanding they give up most of Christian doctrine just because it isn't "nice". A redemption that doesn't require repentance certainly sounds nice, but it kind of waters down the message of the Gospel and makes me wonder what all the trouble the Israelites went through was supposed to be good for anyway.

>> No.8916561

>>8908931
This is perfect.

>> No.8916570

>>8914283
>writings of the Church Fathers make it very clear that parts of the Mosaic laws no longer "apply" to Christians

Yeah, cherrypicking. That video is nothing but a cherrypicked argument and that "diagram" at the end was fucking pathetic.
Might as well say "Welp we can make up whatever bullshit we want to bc reasons like a man died so it erased laws. Ceremonial laws apply only in certain circumstances, and we still hate homos for some logic that's never really explained."

>> No.8916582

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS AMERICA < ITS A FUCKIN JOKE ON MAP

>> No.8916593 [DELETED] 

>>8916547
I don't give a shit, personally. If they don't want you there, that shit's harrassment whether you like it or not. Just because they believe they have good intentions doesn't stop it from being harrassment.

Why the fuck are you defending this? Do seriously have such bad case of myopic vision?

>> No.8916616 [DELETED] 

>>8916593
>I don't give a shit, personally. If they don't want you there, that shit's harrassment whether you like it or not.
Wouldn't that be trespassing rather than harassment? But as far as I can tell, they aren't actually in the convention centre, they are just standing on the pavement.

>Why the fuck are you defending this? Do seriously have such bad case of myopic vision?
Defending what? These people in particular? Or public displays of faith in general? And what makes it myopic?

>> No.8916624

do we really need two cringe threads on the front page? seriously, pick one >>8909080

>> No.8916635

>>8916593
You're talking to a guy from /pol/ who doesn't even go here

>> No.8916638 [DELETED] 
File: 86 KB, 381x424, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8916616
Honestly you are twisting everything people say into sounding wrong. You can't think these people are doing any wrong because to think any other person who ~happens~ to be Christian is doing something wrong would be you going against Christ! People can be wrong and Christian at the same time.
>>8916624
Is pretty much right. Video probably should've been in cringe instead of its own thread.
Religion war is among us, sage thread.

>> No.8916645 [DELETED] 

>>8916638
>Honestly you are twisting everything people say into sounding wrong.
Where did I do that?

>You can't think these people are doing any wrong because to think any other person who ~happens~ to be Christian is doing something wrong would be you going against Christ! People can be wrong and Christian at the same time.
I'm almost certain they'll go be wrong somewhere because they don't seem like the kind of people that have very solid theology, but that's completely besides the point. I can only comment on what I see in the video. And in the video I can't see anything from their part that is inconsistent with the Christian faith, or inconsistent with decent behaviour in a public space.

>> No.8916656 [DELETED] 

>>8914297
> I go to cons and I have a degree and I'm very interesting in Christ's message.
good for you, but you gotta realise that you're the 1% here. young people are moving away from religion as a worldwide trend (or they're just more vocal about it, but the effect is the same). if you really insist I can find actual data confirming this, but it should be obvious looking around you.
when you go to a con, you want to spend time with fans of anime and manga. I sure as hell hope that you don't go to cons just because you hope to find someone to discuss your magic sky man with. these people are only coming to cons to "spread god's word", which really means shouting at innocent congoers on how they're sinning or whatever the fuck they have a problem with.

>Dressing immodestly in order to provoke lust in strangers is sinful, though, just as fornication is sinful. You don't even need the Bible to teach you that, just common sense.
see, you and I probably have a different opinion of what constitutes 'dressing immodestly', especially so in a con space. sure, there are some social rules and guidelines on what to wear, but a con is a special event where one is wearing a costume so those rules do not necessarily apply as they do in regular life. also, I see nothing wrong with happy consensual sex between people who happen to not have gone through a ritual to devote themselves to each other by swearing on your magic sky man. it's your opinion that they are sinful. it's my opinion that there's nothing wrong with either of those things.

>We're all bad people.
speak for yourself, honey. I'm pretty alright in my humble opinion.

>If we don't repent of the sins we've committed and turn to God to help us become better people, then yes, we'll remain bad people.
yeah, except turning to god is going to do nothing for me if I don't believe in it. I've tried out several organised religions, but it turns out I can't take any iteration of magic sky people seriously.

>> No.8916670 [DELETED] 

>>8914297
I personally become a better person through reflecting on my actions and their consequences, and considering how I could change those to improve myself.

>There's nothing wrong with saying that to people, even if they don't want to hear it, especially if they don't want to hear it.
here's where you and I have differing opinions again, buddy. first, people don't go to a con to listen to some religious old people preach about fire and brimstone. it is a disturbing, annoying, unwanted experience. second, you're not going to randomly convert someone off the street to believe in your magic sky man. that belief is supposed to come from inside yourself, not from being pushed onto you by a trigger happy preacher.
third, the 'spreading awareness' excuse is a moot point in this argument. literally everybody in the Western world knows about christianity's existence. those people have all actively chosen to either believe in it or not (with the exception of children, who aren't at that level of metaphysical thinking yet). harassing people at a convention for video games and cartoons is not going to change that choice.

this is the first time I've ever hit the charlimit on a post so well done for setting me off. I guess I can be considered a part of the cringe now, but whatever.

>> No.8916728

>>8908334
Your friends are totally cringe. Really? Make out sesh and a sarcastic woo hoo? Yikes.

>> No.8916745

>>8916728
It's as cringe as that stupid "kiss in" the LBGTQAWTFBBQ community planned at chick fil a.

>> No.8916862
File: 216 KB, 314x320, 1457658451849.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8914283
YES, They actually were protesting the convention itself. I was there to witness this all happen. They personally told me and many others that anime is sinful and other shit like that. So yes, they were protesting the convention.

>> No.8916969

>>8910520
>>8910202
Also he is pretty much a pedophile. Creeps on and is innapropriate with his underage fans sometimes.

>> No.8916987

>>8908897
Does everyone from a batshit southern state use the term "buckle of the Bible belt"? I feel like you all day that

>> No.8916994

Wait how come only some posts got janitored and not the whole thread.

>> No.8917065

>>8908206
Yo, this is the crazy couple that protests outside Animazement in NC every year.

>> No.8917074

>>8914299
Pretty much. This couple is out there all weekend every year and have been since I think the second year that the con has been at the Raleigh Convention Center. Though from OP's video, it looks like they're branching out to more conventions.

>> No.8917089

Please. As if him telling off those fags makes him any better when he's homophobic as fuck (J. Michael Tatum and Greg Ayres hate his guts) and gropes underage girls at cons. Him doing this one good little deed doesn't mean shit, nigga.

>> No.8917099

>>8917089
>(J. Michael Tatum and Greg Ayres hate his guts)
Do they really? gimme deets

>> No.8917222

>>8917089
Can't name any names (because I'm shit with VA names) but can confirm that at least on the East Coast, Vic is pretty much heavily disliked by his colleagues.

>go to guests uncensored panel years ago at con Vic is at
>Vic obviously doesn't show up but some VAs do
>they're already tipsy and drinking more during the panel
>someone asks something regarding how people in the VA field get along, probably asking if you have to suck up to get your foot in the door
>VAs start talking about other VAs they like, then VAs they can't stand
>this leads to ripping on Vic for a good ten minutes
>drunk VAs decide it would be hilarious to call Vic
>they dial his phone and put it up to the mic
>phone rings and rings, no answer
>VAs start shitting on Vic again for not picking up the phone
>best guest panel I've been to ever

>> No.8917370

>>8908206
Vic is so full of shit but I love him for it...