[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 380 KB, 900x450, Dolce-Gabbana-shoes-fall-2015-Milan-Chiko.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8524986 No.8524986 [Reply] [Original]

It seems as though /cgl/ lurkers know little outside of jfashion brands, but as of late, there have been a few more seagulls who are interested in normie fashion brands. And thus, this thread.

Discussion starters:
> What are your favorite jfash and normie brands?
> How much is your closet really worth?
> Has your experience with brands affected your view on jfash brands (customer service, quality, etc.)?
> How has your /fa/ knowledge translated to your /cgl/ knowledge?
> Which better dominates your wardrobe?

>> No.8524990

>0% /fa/

If my clothes aren't from Japan they probably came from a thrift store.

>> No.8524993

>>8524986
jesus christ, those man-hooves

>> No.8525018

>>8524993
Runway models are all incredibly tall and thin, you retard. Do you expect them to have kawaii chinese doll feet?

>> No.8525032

Jfashion: IW, JetJ, Jane Marple, Victorian Maiden, Mary Magdalene.
Normie: Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, Carolina Herrera
That's hard to answer, I don't exactly remember the exact prices.
> Has your experience with brands affected your view on jfash brands (customer service, quality, etc.)?
Definitely, I have felt like I overpaid for something sometimes, but I wouldn't return my purchases because of that.
To be honest I don't go on /fa/, I only visit 4chan for /cgl/ and /toy/.
Normie brands because they're easier to obtain even though they're more expensive, since I can only order jf through internet.

>> No.8525045

As I've gotten older, my favorite jfash brands have become Excentrique, Jane Marple, and JetJ (although not loving JetJ lately). I find they're easier to mix with the other half of my clothes. I have a lot of Miu Miu, Alexander McQueen/McQ stuff now which I bought for work and it's nice to mix them when I can. I used to buy a lot of Yohji Yamamoto for pretty cheap on mbok but it's hard to wear in real life sometimes.

Customer service wise, in my experience brand shops in Japan are pretty good (especially Meta, hilariously). Of course online customer service of all jfash brands is basically shit.

Luxury brands vary in quality I guess? None is worse than the lolita brands that I've seen, but some is much MUCH nicer. I own just one coat from Max Mara and nothing else but it's by far the nicest thing I own.

>> No.8525051

All of my clothing outside of jfashion are hipster clothing from vintage/thrift stores or random European brands.

>> No.8525175

I work at Urban Outfitters and that's how I afford all my burando. Kill me tbh.

>> No.8525214

0%. Currently wearing: baggy cargo shorts that are older than a third-grader, $5 band t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. My entire closet is like this. Luckily I work in a more ~eccentric~ shop so I can get away with dressing like a scuzzball 24/7. Just can't wear any shirts with swear words or gory imagery on them to work.

>> No.8525335

>>8524986
For J-fashion, I adore Innocent World, Jane Marple, and Mary Magdalene. For normie brands, I like Chanel, Dior, Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen, and Dolce and Gabanna.
If I had to guess, it's well over $15,000 and growing.
I am highly critical in either aesthetic.
I read up on various brands throughout the season to see all the latest trends and enjoy reading about behind the scenes.
While I love lolita style and hope to grow this aspet of my wardrobe, my closet is brimming with designer clothing.

>> No.8525374

J-fash: Jane Marple and Leur Getter, normie brands: Karen Walker, and small boutiques like Nadinoo, I like Chie Mihara shoes.
No idea.
I have a lot of Jane Marple and it has made me realise how shitty some normie stuff is at times because my JM tends to be made better. Getting older, I've come to value quality instead of quantity or throwaway fashion. I also like my pieces to be timeless and something I can wear and last for many years.
/fa/ isn't really a great outlet for women's fashion, it's just a bunch of teenage boys chasing trends. I guess I know what styles and silhouettes suit and flatter my figure and appearance better than I used to.
It's half-half.

>> No.8525381

I used to shop at the thrift store for all my needs before lolita, but now I'd rather cough up the money for nice things that last - not that you can't find those things at the thrift store, but like with thrifting for lolita, my time would be better spent working to earn the money instead of combing through racks of stained Walmart brand clothing for a pair of $5 designer jeans (which did happen to me once).

Since learning how to build a wardrobe thanks to lolita I'm really interested in having a quality normalfag wardrobe based on pieces I've purchased brand new that are eternally fashionable and will survive the test of time.

>> No.8525428

The only jfashion I wear is lolita. Majority of my normal everyday clothes come from Forever 21, and stuff not from them is pretty much chiffon or lace tops I get from other stores (currently obsessed with chiffon and lace clothing).
I would like to get into mori girl though.

>> No.8525492

More into altfash because I've had to go through most of my life normal looking and I'm severely bored with that. Last time there was a strega thread I had a great time seeing other people post inspo and say they like altfash too, but yknow. Anonymous and all makes it hard to find people to follow and such.

>> No.8525506

What is wrong with the middle one's foot? That looks painful.

Anyway I'm not /fa/ at all. All my clothes are either Japanese, Chinese or handmade.

>> No.8525511

>>8525506
Forgot that some of my shoes are VW. Is she /fa/?

>> No.8525513

Other than lolita, 70% of my clothing is japanese and chinese, the other 30% is jfash suitable forever21 clothes or something

>> No.8525523

>>8525018
Hoofie detected

>> No.8525527

From my experience, all high end retailer shoes look like garbage and are overpriced as fuck for their quality.

Same for bags, dresses.. etc. At least with Japanese fashion you can see WHY they are pricey due to all the details with quality fabric and if it isn't high priced, you know what you are getting. Unlike with shit like D&G, Versace, CC. Seems the only high end clothes that make sense are male clothes.

The funny thing is, I am from a rich family, so I have seen all sorts of clothing come from stores like these, but nothing beats the quality and price I get from Japan.

>> No.8526124
File: 227 KB, 700x1000, highbrand-to-gyarubrand.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8525527
I'm surprised to see this response anon! I've never really been impressed with jfash brands bags/shoes because of the pricing with their pleather. If you're a brand that's aiming to bring quality, surely you can afford to step it up with leather products instead? It's pretty much the only reason why most people who buy all brand will buy from taobao/bodyline for their shoes.

Also many jfash brands take inspiration from big name normie brands. Gyaru brands are the biggest offender. Pic related.

>> No.8526129

>>8525527
My experience is the complete opposite. Glued together pleather from Japan does not hold up to any mid price items I get here. I'm just buying them for the design.

>> No.8526135

>>8524986
Jfashion: BTSSB/AATP, Meta, Milklim, 6%
Normie: Chanel, DG, Burberry, RL, VW
Probably several grand, I don't remember.
Sometimes I feel aggravated with buying from brands in Japan. But mostly it's alright because it's a unique style that I wouldn't get otherwise. But boy, what I wouldn't do for proper BTSSB customer service.
Probably coordinating? I know how to combine textures better than the average lolita.
Normie brands. I only wear lolita once every two weeks or so now.

>> No.8526963
File: 52 KB, 444x287, 1437865419585.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8525527
> from a rich family
> high end retailor shoes look like garbage
> nothing beats the quality and price I get from Japan
Anon pls

>> No.8527231

Moitie, Boz, Alice Auaa, Alexander Wang, Louboutin, Givenchy, Kenzo

I don't know. I must admit I get a bit uncomfortable when I try to figure it out.

Complaints?! You will be blacklisted! < Sure, we'll send it to our cobbler and fix that

Not very well. I usually wear all black with maybe one colored thing and that doesn't fly with lolita.

Normie brands.

>> No.8527570

>>8527231
> Alexander Wang
> Boz
Good taste anon

>> No.8527574

>>8525523
Shortie detected

>> No.8527583
File: 103 KB, 480x445, 417723_Picnik_collage344t.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

More /fa/ than you, OP.

>> No.8527591

>>8527583
Wow. This is bad.

>> No.8527599

>>8526963
i think what anon might be saying is that they're boring. a lot of high end shoes are just better quality pumps/heels/ect that low-end brands sell. how many open toed black heels can you see before you get bored?

at least with japan there's some more unique stuff.

>> No.8527601
File: 196 KB, 457x640, tumblr_ldk2o2v7YQ1qaufoto1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8527591
because shit like this in public totally isn't considered a mental illness, amirite?

>> No.8527602

>>8527583
Eh, not a fan of this one…I have such a strong bias against shoes that look like that and wearing walmart tier shorts with designer bags.

>> No.8527607

>>8527601
More interesting to look at, at least.

>> No.8527621

>>8527583
This looks like shit
>structured jacket, purse, and hat
>expensive purse
>coupled with shitty cheap boots, ratty shorts and ebay tights.

This isn't effay, this is "I had a ton of money and I blew it all on a purse rather than trying to make a solid fit".
The only redeeming factor is her body and face.

>>8527601
This is even more ridiculous looking but at least this girl knew what she was doing and made her outfit remotely cohesive. Even if the cohesively is nothing more than "throw on a bunch of random shit".
When people look weird, they look good. When people try to look "fashionable" they more often than not fail because they focus on trends rather than solid outfits.

>> No.8527624
File: 43 KB, 556x303, autism_anywhere.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8527621
Yawn.

>> No.8527679

>>8527621
In othr words they expect one brand item to carry the whole outfit, which is heavily misquided thinking.

>> No.8528699
File: 464 KB, 1124x660, dolce-and-gabbana-fw-2014-mosaic-women-collection-the-shoes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8527599
I love fashion show shoes like pic related. If a Japanese company could come out with something like this, I would be really impressed.
In my experience, lolita brand and gyaru brand shoes are just the basic shape and form with extra scallops, heart shapes or straps.

>> No.8528718
File: 94 KB, 500x500, Dolce-Gabbana-resin-rose-sandals-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8528699
I really hate those shoes.. I want to like them but no

>> No.8528788

Jfashion: Angelic Pretty, Innocent World, old Juliette et Justine, Jane Marple, Leur Getter, BTSSB, Grimoire, Ank Rougue
Normie: Dior (vintage especially), Alexander Wang, Stella McCartney, Chanel (again, especially vintage), Tom Ford, Westwood, sometimes YSL, Kate Spade if we're talking mid-tier.
Probably $2,500 if we only go by purchase price for vintage.
Meh. J-fashion brands have awful-to-acceptable service, I don't expect much more than that.
Textures matter. Presentation matters. Shoes matter more than you'd expect.
/cgl/. I rarely wear anything but various degrees of J-fashion unless it's a special occasion.

>> No.8528808

>>8528699
>>8528718
I feel like those shoes would go really well with a BTSSB coordinate. Obviously it wouldn't be entirely lolita, but it's the first brand that comes to mind and matches.

>> No.8528824

>>8525018
I'm 5"10 and really slim, and my feet doesn't look like that.
Those feet are the result of forcing your feet into too small shoes for years, which is common in the modeling industry. A lot of professional models get their feet ruined this way.

>> No.8528851

>>8528718
If it was a round toe, I'd be all for these.

>> No.8528860

>>8525175
What's that like? I need a hip job.

>> No.8529475

>>8527583
>>8527624
you look like shit and you're mad everybody hates your outfit

>> No.8529485

>>8527583
oh my god this is a travesty

>> No.8529494

>>8527583
At least >>8527601 was purposefully going for the hot mess look.

>> No.8529496

>>8527583
>Chiara Ferragni
>45,973 fans · 533 looks

pretty sure we're all being baited

>> No.8529502

>>8529496
looks like 45,973 people have shit taste

>> No.8529547

>>8528699
>>8528718
>sandals
but why
feet are so ugly
why ruin those cute shoes by having the entire foot visible

>>8529496
I still think it's fug.

>> No.8529975

I'm a poorfag, so my luxury fashion options, both jfash and normie stuff, are typically limited to things I've been able to save up for on my modest income. I try to augment my wardrobe with items found at higher-end secondhand stores and estate sales.

>> No.8530550

>>8524986
Jfash: D.I.A, Ma*rs
Normie: Ralph Lauren, Versace, Gucci
Not sure, though when I dress normalfag I can easily walk around in a somewhat expensive outfit. I think it's the same for lolita's who go full brand wearing an OP and matching items.
Yeah, some gyaru items are less quality. Not bad, just less. As for customer service, I wouldn't dare to tell. For normal fag clothing I can visit the shop, can't really do that with gyaru brands while in Europe haha.
I kinda like the old styling values; Belt must match shoes, shoes must match bag, bag must match gloves. It did gave me more insight in coording gyaru too, to not throw random brand items together looking like a hot mess.
Half-Half, of course I also have off-brand stuff for whenever I don't feel like getting fully dressed haha--

>> No.8530578

>>8529496
lookbook users are idiots anyways

>> No.8530608

>> What are your favorite jfash and normie brands?
Jane Marple, ETC, VM & MM, old BTSSB and Meta
Gunne Sax
Saint Laurent (SLP), VW shoes (not that I own any lol), some of Raf's fem stuff
>> How much is your closet really worth?
?? Second hand or first? Because my normie clothes aren't worth much second and you can get jfash cheap on auction. Several thousand idk, I but nicer quality shoes but most expensive dresses were second hand.
>> Has your experience with brands affected your view on jfash brands (customer service, quality, etc.)?
No experience with first hand designer. I feel like lolita is good value/ quality for money.
>> How has your /fa/ knowledge translated to your /cgl/ knowledge?
Colour theory and balance (I think they were natural to me). Flattering clothes. I dress well out of lolita.
>> Which better dominates your wardrobe?
Hmm, most of my non lolita wardrobe can be considered otome even from western brands. In terms of number normie/ otome I guess? (I have 12 mps, 5 lolita specific blouses) honestly been buying a load of second hand jfash lately because it's good quality for the price of cheap sweat shop fast fashion shit new in Aus.

Fa is mainly for mens fashion and still seems stuck on old trends like minimalism and normcore (minimal so 2012) but I've also worn those. Ordered my stan smiths oversead before they were everywhere again lel.

>> No.8530622
File: 112 KB, 640x480, 1247613240442.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8528699
>>8528718
>tfw gorgeous OTT heels like this are never enclosed.
>Huge gross finger-toes.

I'm plenty /fa/, I just don't care for Western high fashion/designer labels. They're very often not worth the money.

>Remember that time Jalland paid like $300 for his condom shirt?
>Of course you don't.

>> No.8530660

>>8530622
return the slab

>> No.8530662

>>8530622
>condom shirt

Story please, anon. This reminds me of how I lust over Alice Auaa sometimes. Then I just think it'd probably look like this irl.

>> No.8530692

>>8527231

Pop of colour still works well, you just need to take a little more care in your choice, for eg, these will work:
- gothloli with moitie-blue bag
- sweet lolita (all black) with a bow-shaped pink pendant
- kurololita with red glitter shoes

Wont work:
- Avoid dull colours like brown, navy, dark green, etc (actually they wouldn't work in mainstream fashion anyway)
- Clashing motifs/themes, eg gothloli with a pink chocolate bag
- Headwear must be black with a pop of colour inserted, not a whole different colour by itself (looks too disconnected from the rest of the outfit to work).
- avoid pale shoes. Bright shoes still seem okay but pale shoes really seem to unbalance the entire outfit.

Personally I like how lolita seems to amplify and change a lot of mainstream rules. Like we'd think nothing of it if a girl throws on a denim jacket and black boots with a brown dress in mainstream fashion, but in lolita those three colours must be balanced well and in decently compatible shades or else it can look pretty funky.

>> No.8530705

>>8530622
Maybe he should have stacked it.

>>8530662
It don't.

>> No.8531201

>>8530550
I have a similar taste as you! Nice to know some gals are on here.

>> No.8531238

Victorian Maiden, Vivienne Westwood.

I have a few designer pieces, especially bags, but most of them are not from though-after collection since I got them in discount shops mostly. I guess I have 30+ dresses, 40+tops, 25~ pair of shoes, 10~coats/jackets and same for bags everything grouped. It might be around 8000€ new, certainly more counting the lingerie and my kimono collection.

As I said, I mostly buy in discount shops. I anything, I feel like most brands are overpriced. I mean brand's red labels are glorified ready-to-wear mass produced piece of fabric with a designer tag on it. That being said some brands really do have nice quality, but so does some j-fashion brands (VM, I love you).

My /fa/ side keep telling me than less is more, and looking put together and elegant is better than showing off brand like a white trash.

Since my wardrobe is so eclectic, I'd say that lolita is the main style. I also have goth/monochromatic clothing, a bit of natural kei and some aomoji thing. Lastly I have a few "fashion" pieces that are pretty much Fahion Week only for me.

>> No.8531451

> What are your favorite jfash and normie brands? BTSSB, Jane Marple, Emily Temple Cute, Innocent World, Angelic Pretty. As for normie brands, I wear a lot of vintage at least half of my wardrobe is vintage. If I'm not feeling fancy I love Alexander Wang's T collection, Vince, Madewell, and Anthropologie.
Oh gosh I have no clue? I'd probably cry if I added up how much I've spent on clothing and handbags.
I think so? I grew up shopping at higher end department stores and I always loved how everyone went out of their way to make sure that my mother and I were very happy when we left. I almost always expect a little note or a small token of appreciation when I buy items from Jfashion bands/stores.
Fit is everything if something doesn't fit you properly you will look dumpy and sad. Also, less is more, no need to go ott everyday.
Vintage and normie clothes. I just recently got into lolita/jfashion

>> No.8531473

Most of my wardrobe is either some nice blouses from european brand, lolita or Primark. I'm trying to get some really nice pieces from high fashion brands from time to time, but I just can't get myself to buy pants that are not skinny Primark pants. I've tried on a decent amount of good pants, but they all looked shit on me and the quality wasn't much better. Cheap denim everywhere.

>> No.8531539

JFash: BTSSB, MARS, Meta
Normie: Dior, Miu Miu, Alexander McQueen, Moschino, Chanel
God knows. At the very least, I know my purses and shoes alone are over $10,000.
Lolita brands have zero customer service. I'm only paying for the look, and that's fine. I much prefer in-person shopping at normie brands, though.
Normie clothing for sure. I'm just a weekend Jfashioner.