[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 98 KB, 720x480, 1489636458294.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10044066 No.10044066 [Reply] [Original]

time to reminisce.

> when did you discover lolita? how old were you?
> what substyle first interested you?
> what was your first dream dress? did you ever get it?
> first brand dress?
> did any particular coords, pics, media, etc make you fall in love with lolita?
> how have your tastes changed?

>> No.10044084
File: 16 KB, 290x387, royal-marine-long.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
I want to say I was about 15? I was a baby weeb and somehow fell backwards into the VM website.
Classic. I adored looking at the old MM/VM releases
Despite knowing about lolita much earlier, it took until after I graduated college and a bad breakup for me to get back into things. I remember seeing pic related and falling in love. After a lot of searching, it was one of the first dresses I bought.
> first brand dress?
Mary Magdalene Eglantyne OP in Pink
> did any particular coords, pics, media, etc make you fall in love with lolita?
I loved more how elegant it seemed. I also had the opportunity to see BTB and getoffEGL in its glory, which was entertaining.
They haven't. I guess over time I've been more interested in MM than VM, and have been more subdued about how I coord

>> No.10044090

>>10044066

I first discovered lolita in 2008 when I was 14 years old. The first substyle that caught my attention was classic (ironically). I saw Merry Sweet Castle in a Tokyopop translation of the GLB. Never got it yet. Got my ultimate dream dress Twinkle Carnival years later. First brand dress was an underbust corset jsk from IW. Honestly there was a lot of lolita media back then that influenced me, but mainly seeing "Lapin Angelique" while playing The World Ends With You. My style hasn't changed much, but I'd like to wear more of the gothic substyle at some point. Doubt I'll ever stop loving this fashion lol.

>> No.10044290
File: 82 KB, 553x920, Gothic-and-Lolita-Bible-Scans-lolita-40745239-553-920.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't remember exactly when but i think i was about 12. i used to play stardoll a lot, it's that site that had all the celebrity dress up games but you could also make your own virtual paper doll avatar and basically just build your dream wardrobe. They had a j-fashion inspired store in the mall (i think it was called sunny bunny?) which became my favourite and I joined a group on the forums for "kawaii" clothes, and someone brought up lolita. Honestly it was love at first sight when i googled it. I never wore it until much later though, even bodyline seemed expensive to me when i was a little babbu so my dress obtaining was limited to scarce gifts until high school, when I had a job and was able to get more than one dress every two years.
>what substyle first interested you?
definitely sweet, and i became interested during that time where super pastel late 2000s sweet was cool and everyone was shitting their bloomers over sugary carnival and milky planet. i don't like that style anymore, i stick to classic and the kind of sweet that is less likely to get me accused of being an ageplayer.
>what was your first dream dress? did you ever get it?
my first dream dress was either sugary carnival or milky planet but i never got either and they're no longer dream dresses.
> first brand dress?
my first dress was also my first brand dress, there used to be a store in my town that stocked japanese stuff and they had some innocent world. my parents knew i liked that stuff and i was lucky enough to recieve a jsk
(that i can't remember the name of) for my 14th birthday. I wore it to my first con the next day with a friend who was in a ghibli cosplay, who later became a gothic lolita which makes me very happy.
>did any particular coords, pics, media, etc make you fall in love with lolita?
i got big into manga by peach pit, like rozen maiden and shugo chara.

(pic unrelated, just a coord i like)

>> No.10044307
File: 47 KB, 400x369, Clones AP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Back around 2010 I believe, I was looking up cyber goth, which somehow led to fairy kei, which somehow led to lolita. I was 16ish.

Sweet, by far.

Chess Chocolate! My boyfriend got it as a bday gift a couple years ago, it was everything I hoped it to be and more.

> first brand dress?
BTSSB Dreamy Pony JSK. I applied some roll on fragrance from a shop I used to work at, and then ironed it... big mistake, left giant yellow stains all over. I think I was 18 at the time so I was pretty fucking dumb when it came to clothes.

I can't think of any one particular coord or pic, but this always pops into my mind because it was one of the first pictures I saw and thought it was adorable.

I grew out of OOT sweet / full on sweet to more of a toned down/classical sweet. At first I thought I wanted to be OOT and in people's faces, but quickly realized my favorite coords were just easy & comfy matching sets. I wasn't very creative when I wore lolita desu.

>> No.10044308
File: 73 KB, 307x594, 1363744403016.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
I was a freshman in highschool when I first discovered lolita around 2012. AKA the era of OTT Sweet.
Sweet, sweet, SWEEET !!!!!! 2012 was an era of OTT sweet and it has clearly heavily influenced my wardrobe in future years since in highschool my broke ass couldn't afford it.
Sugary Carnival. It's Basic Bitch sweet but goddamn that dress made my weeb heart go doki doki back in the days. I've recently acquired it after waiting for it to pop up at the right price. I still love it to this day despite it being replicated so much,
> first brand dress?
Toy Parade (2012) jsk in Mint. God I'm glad I decided to save my monies for burando before diving into lolita.
Nakamura Asumiko. I read her one-shots without realizing all the girls were wearing some form of lolita. To this day I want to own every dress with her art or inspired by her art.
I thought I'd always be a sweet girl but Old School Gothic has been calling me so much lately so I'm trying to lose weight to fit into my old school dream dresses. God. I love lolita so much.

>> No.10044345
File: 53 KB, 480x640, fb16be64346e0eacc9adda1634ded19f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Back in 2010 in High School. I was probably 16 years old. I discovered it through Visual Kei and general Harajuku fashion.
Sweet, Hime and Gothic.
My first dream dress was Metamorphose - Dim Light. Got it when it was re-released.
> first brand dress?
My first brand dress was Baby, the Stars Shine Bright - Juno's Bouquet.
This video https://youtu.be/6_O_W7BYD-E
I like classical more now and only some sweet and gothic. Love OTT and Hime.

>> No.10044354
File: 26 KB, 300x400, 4b2ed590-8c11-53da-94dd-d517b1ec462a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
I was 14, I think I found it in 2004/2005. I found it online (I think through street snaps) and googled my way to the egl LJ comm. I was super active on LJ at the time so it was easy to just infuse the community into my everyday life.
oh gosh everything. this was back when "shiro" and "kuro" were still considered main substyles and "sweet" was just "oldschool" dresses in pink colorways, so there wasn't as much variety as there is now. i was drawn to nautical motifs the most though
meta marine stripe. I did get the skirt but at the time I was too fat for it so I took it apart and frankensteined it back together so badly that it's unwearable. I still have it though, been thinking of taking it to a seamstress for years to have it repaired to fit me now since I'm much thinner
> first brand dress?
I didn't buy a brand dress until Meta's marine border series in 2008?2009? but I had a few brand skirts. most of my pieces were handmade monsters up until about 2009, lol
honestly i can't remember any particular images, but I loved looking through the street snaps, and I loved a lot of the efamous lolitas at the time. my favorites were osea_chelleo, faunkegin, crazysporkiam, theosakakoneko, phenphenny, octavekitten, katzixx (sp?)
They haven't much, it's more been that I've kept my love for the "older" things while liking most of the new things that happen in the fashion, so I guess my taste is more diverse now because lolita is more diverse

>> No.10044363
File: 29 KB, 307x400, ead266ca3bfa8be0df5686cd335d2427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think I vaguely knew about lolita for a long time, since I was interested both in alternative fashion and Japanese culture. I started actively learning about it when I was about 20 years old.
Classic, but I was interested in gothic as well.
I don't have much money, I can't afford to have a dream dress, I guess ): If I had one it would probably be from MM or VM. But finding a particular piece within an okay (for me) price range is not very likely, especially since MM and VM aren't common secondhand. I usually don't look for a specific dress. I prefer to buy something I like and that is within my budget.
> first brand dress?
Eglantyne OP by MM.
Not really. I remember reading a manga, Othello, whose protagonist secretely was a lolita. I actually hated it though, it was so bad, ahah.
I still love the things I loved back when I started, so classic and gothic. But today I can also appreciate toned down or simple sweet. I never thought I'd want to wear otome, too, but today I consider it more creative than lolita (in some cases) and more wearable for everyday life.

>> No.10044368

Middle school, Tokyopop or something

Sweet, angelic pretty

First dream dress was an Anna house pink x white jsk, by the time I could afford the fashion i never went around to buying it , moved on.

> first brand dress?
BTSSB White x pink sailor dress, still have it but haven’t worn in years.

mostly japanese Street snap shots, Gothic Lolita Bible, FRUiTs magazine / book

I still covet sweet, but am slowly branching out to classic and a bit of gothic, it’s probably coming with age

>> No.10044377

>>10044307
>I was looking up cyber goth,
I haven't heard of that one for ages, does it still exist?

>which somehow led to fairy kei, which somehow led to lolita.
Now that is quite a journey.

>> No.10044382
File: 24 KB, 230x323, GothicLolita_Bible.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The first time I saw lolita and actually got into it are different

>be 12 or 13
>huge weeb phase loving anime and manga and shit
>know about decora and love it (my decora "outfits" from those days are laughable)
>in bookstore with mum, she sees the first English edition of GLB. Says I should get it because I love Japanese stuff so much
>I look at it but Im actually not that interested, still get it though
>I didnt particularly like or dislike lolita from that time, but my taste wasnt mature enough to enjoy it
>didnt know who mana was at the time and thought those ads of him was a girl kek

fast forward, now 2013 or 2014

>enjoy doing cosplay with friends though we only do it about once a year and its a pretty casual hobby
>an acquaintance that knows I go to 4chan says I should check out cgl because cosplay
>go to cgl bc y not
>see cosplay but whats this?? see all this 2008-2012 era AP shit
>fall down the rabbit hole, spend weeks researching lolita and loving it

Been wearing it for 4 years now

>> No.10044414

Anyone else bothered by calling it "babylita"?

>> No.10044444

>>10044414
no
who cares

>> No.10044452

>>10044414
no

>> No.10044515

2005 or 2006 when I was 15/16
Gothic and darker classic like Moitie and JetJ.
My first DD was JetJ dragon chan and I got the re-release last year.
> first brand dress?
I think my first direct brand purchases were an Aatp LP and a solid IW jsk in 2009.
Japanese street snaps on flickr and zemotion on deviantart, also shitty Mana cosplayers on myspace
A lot. Aatp and Moitie used to be my favourite brands, and at some point also JetJ. I used to love screen print and those thick cotton fabric prints Aatp used to have. But now I'm more focused on actual fabric quality. These days I stick to florals, solids, more toned down stuff. Oh and VM is my favourite brand.

>> No.10044522

> when did you discover lolita? how old were you? 13-14, back in 2004.
> what substyle first interested you? Gothic, I was a little wannabe mallgoth and discovered gothic lolita through looking up gothy stuff online. I didn't start wearing it until 2009 though, mostly because I was terrible at money management as a teen, and ended up getting into sweet instead of gothic at that time.
> what was your first dream dress? did you ever get it? Milky-chan, and hell yeah I got it. I've since sold it and kinda regret it even though it's not really my style anymore, it's just so frickin CUTE.
> first brand DRESS? meta's princess crown bouquet in pink and black. I actually traded it for Milky-chan back in the day and am seriously considering buying it again because desu the print is gorgeous, and it's more my style now than it was then.
> did any particular coords, pics, media, etc make you fall in love with lolita? That Morbid Outlook article lmao. Also I used to spend HOURS on Avant Gauche looking at glb scans. Miss that site.
> how have your tastes changed? I'm not into ott sweet anymore. I guess my tastes have "matured"- I still wear sweet, but more subdued and simple styles. I've really been getting into oldschool pink and white sweet, and ivory colorways which my younger self would have hated. Maybe sweet-classic would be a good description of my current style? I still suck at gothic though, I will never be the bad ass gothic lolita of my 14 year old self's dreams. Oh well. I like being cute too much I can't help it. The closest to gothic I ever get is buying prints in the black colorway lol.

>> No.10044546
File: 124 KB, 500x303, lQmgDUx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
It was fall 2013 and I was 18, looking for something to buy for the local renaissance festival. I was cheap so I started looking on Ebay and saw one of those victorian dress sellers. I worried if they were actually selling what they had images of and tried to research. Found Fan+Friend somehow, buying something hideous there, and I remember finding EGL after that winter when doing more research. Sadly I missed the heyday of the site.

I did follow Versailles hard during their debut years but I just never realized those kinds of clothes were actual things you could wear.

Classic, VM and MM especially. While I really liked gothic too it took a while for me to get over my internalized anti-goth stigma.

I don’t remember how good my definition of “dream dress” was, but I adored Nameless Poem’s first release and it was the first ever dress I bought (on the second release) since I wanted it so badly. Later trawled through Lolibrary and made a list of dream items. Ended up in the next two years getting AatP’s Le Petit Chaperon Rouge JSK in green and IW’s Rose Panel JSK in black. I’ve always loved Puppet Circus but I don’t let myself think about that, lol.

> first brand dress?
IW’s Vilma OP in navy, bought it in 2015. I had bought some small brand stuff but never owned a non Taobao dress until that moment.

I wish I could remember, just lots of VM and MM dresses. Buttcape’s 2015 wardrobe post heavily inspired me getting into gothic and still does.

Realizing that instead of getting all of the Taobao I just wanted to focus on cut/quality. I now buy and wear mostly printless items. I still admire MM but accepting that I probably won’t fit the brand after years of looking at it is hard.

>> No.10044553

>>10044363
Ayy same first dress (I’m >>10044084). As someone who’s been collecting, the main two lessons you need to learn are patience and diligence. If you can’t necessarily afford it now, start saving up in a little lolita fund; while you save, start looking at the Japanese sites (fril,y!japan,mercari) using the kanji for VM/MM. By the time you save up enough, something new will have probably popped up! VM is also a lot more plentiful than MM, so you have that going for you. It isn’t as instant-gratification-like as some sweet brands, but it’s worth it
>t. Slowly collecting all the MM I can find

>> No.10044563

I was 14 and was actually introduced by a friend who was super into japanese fashion. she always talked about how she loved sweet lolita and fairy kei and i loved how lolita looked.

I really liked ott sweet but knew it wouldnt even go on my body. more realistically i loved toned down classic

My first dream dress was probably the nightmare before christmas collab with h naoto. I owned it...for a day. I absolutely hated it. But I do currently own two other dream dresses and adore them

> first brand dress?
Angelic Pretty's toy parade op in mint

Tumblr was my first regular-exposure to lolita. this was when LilithGrey and HelloBatty were both still active wearers and I still consider them my original inspiration for getting into the style

My first batch of dresses were super sweet, but that gave way to solid black pieces and now I wear a mix of black and lavender. I definitely got into the more daily and toned down fashion i originally admired, which i never really thought about until now. I can only imagine how my taste will change in the coming years as I get older and more "settled" as an adult

>> No.10044575
File: 90 KB, 480x640, da4b19cd-c391-57a8-824e-6af94390a744.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
>> when did you discover lolita? how old were you?
13 or 14. I was into cosplay and found lolita through "gothloli" cosplays.

>> what substyle first interested you?
Gothic and not like anime gothloli, ironically enough. Like actual VK, hail Mana-sama gothic.

>> what was your first dream dress? did you ever get it?
Iron Gate. I don't own it since ironically enough, I never even wore gothic.

>> first brand dress?
AATP's Tricolor Toy jsk in black. (pic related) It was also my first dress and a birthday present from my mother.

>> did any particular coords, pics, media, etc make you fall in love with lolita?
There was a picture in Phaidon's Gothic & Lolita book of a girl in an old school tartan coord holding a poodle and that was one of my biggest inspirations at the time and also the reason why I have a major weakness for tartan.

>> how have your tastes changed?
Even though I started out liking gothic lolita, I never wore it and actually jumped in classic. Since then, I've also dabbled in sweet, but I've primarily stuck with classic.

>> No.10044578
File: 30 KB, 480x360, BCE6B09A-D838-4DE7-AF57-2087EF65ED69.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

More than 8 years ago, I was 13 at that time. It took a year before I had convinced my parents and got the approval to order something online, so I was 14 when I first wore Lolita. (At least an attempt at Lolita...)

I can’t remember, I have always been extremely all over the place. But those days I was mainly focussed on Gothic Lolita, as that was the only style my mom would let me wear.

I can’t remember if it was the AatP x Versailles Rose Ribbon JSK or AatP’s Libretto Stripe OP. I do own the first dress, but not the second one. I do still want it because of nostalgia, but I don’t think I would wear it.

> first brand dress?
Baby the Stars Shine Bright Versailles Rose Bouquet Rosary JSK. It wasn’t my favourite cut, but I needed it for an event. I still own it and hope to buy the Charlotte cut sometime soon.

Kanon Wakeshima her music video’s, Versailles their collabs with AatP and of course Mana’s glb shoot. I was mainly influenced by the artists I listened to.

Actually it hasn’t changed that much, the dresses I wanted to buy when I started out, are still items I would buy and wear now. The difference is that the dresses my mom wouldn’t let me buy in those days, are dresses I do buy now. I am no longer dependent on my parents, so I can finally achieve how I wanted to look when I first started.

I am grateful of my strict parents though. Because they didn’t let me buy items directly, I never ended up ordering something from a website like Milanoo. I never rushed into the style and had a long time to think about what I wanted. I still own and wear my first dress. First coord sucked big time nevertheless.

>> No.10044580
File: 70 KB, 450x600, 1526983035850.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was around 15 at the time. I love malice mizer and mana. One day i decided to do some research on mana, found out about moi meme moitie and that fell into a rabbit hole from there.

Gothic.

My dream dress was iron gate. The obvious answer is no and never.

> first brand dress?
Aatp Katrina dress.

I haven't been interested in lolita for almost 6 years. One day, i released i unhappy i was with my appearance. I had completely given up on it since i thought everything looked ugly on me and no matter how hard i tried, all my effort was for nothing. With that in mind, i was on pinterest looking for inspiration and ran back into lolita again. This time is was a bunch of scans from gothic lolita bible. I couldn't exactly remember what picture it was, but the pic related must have been among them. I fell in love with lolita again and decided to give it a go again.

When i first got into lolita, i thought blackxwhite and old school = ita because i was dumb. That's funny considering my first lolita blouse was a bodyline ita mess that was too big for me. Nowadays, I love old school so much. Other than that, i am still hardcore into gothic lolita and classic lolita like i was originally. I probably would stay away from bodyline now unlike when I first started,

>> No.10044593
File: 38 KB, 500x667, 128198_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
I was about 19 actually, and it was my freshman year of college! gothic lolita bibles were being sold at my college town's walden bookstore in the mall, we spent so much time in there browsing manga and Fruits like the weebs we were
Country lolita then, and country lolita now! I also liked ouji secretly and tried to be one with little success.
see pic related. yes I know it's a hot mess, but it's a beautiful hot mess, and I love it. And I love other hot messes. It looked really good with this silver blouse I used to own that I now regret giving up.
> first brand dress?
Metamorphose oldschool piece. It doesn't really have a name, and technically it's a skirt. Tiered and marine-striped with dainty cotton daisy lace at the hem. It's stained and old, but I wear it casually.
All of the street shots. I just thought tokyo girls were so cool and I really admired that they had the bravery to go out and wear what they wanted. I wasn't that brave at the time.
I no longer fool myself into believing that I can do ouji (thanks boobs), and I have discovered that I love simplicity and good quality above all else. Forever an oldschooler.

>>10044290
omg the lace on those sleeves makes my heart hurt

>> No.10044594
File: 67 KB, 398x531, punk-lolita.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
I knew about lolita back in 2008 when i was 12.
funny enough i wanted to be a gothic lolita first then quickly shifted to wanting to be OTT sweet
As basic as it is, Sugary Carnival was the one i wanted most i think? And I never got it simply because once i could afford it,it just wasn't my thing anymore but I did get other dresses that were on my previous "dream dress" list
> first brand dress?
A white, Karami JSK from Baby

I'm definitely more into simple lolita, more "toned down" sweet. My love for pastel stayed but I just wear it in a different way (aka not OTT at all),a way that makes me feel "me" and comfortable. I also fell back in love with old school and darker colors as well. I used to bash myself on the head way too much about the rules/having "only one style"/... but now i just stopped and figured out what truly made me happy about lolita.

Pic related,the very first lolita picture i ever saw

>> No.10044597

>>10044594
forgot to answer that lots of street snaps/popular livejournal lolitas/... and off course,anime,even though the portrayal was inaccurate,made me really fall in love with lolita. Along with that one japanese documentary that's a decade old and two videos that disappeared (one with misako,one with a daily lolita)

>> No.10044608

I honestly can't remember exactly how I first discovered lolita, its a toss up between livejournal or tumblr. I know I was around 13-14 though and loved it on sight, on other people. I didn't make the decision to actually even imagine myself wearing the fashion till I was 16-17. I finally outgrew 'caring about what other people think of me', grew some self confidence and... made a super cringy Bodyline order!

Sweet, I've always been a sucker for pink.

My first dream dress was Milky Berry in mint and it was one of the first brand pieces I owned!

> first brand dress?
Meta's Princess wardrobe in grey

I quite quickly had a whole list of dream dresses and looks when I stumbled back into lolita, and when I finally got out of my ita phase and decided to take lolita seriously it was super inspiring to browse other people's looks and coords with my dream dresses. Saving coords with my fave dresses in a map on my laptop, telling myself it was 'outfit inspo for when I totally get that dress' was really fun.

I still love sweet lolita the most, but I find my wardrobe has deviated quite a bit since the beginning. I now have some dresses that I love to throw on for a casual coord just hanging out with friends. Before I had a mindset that lolita was my ott princess moment and I always wanted to go all out with a sweet coord. Now I'd say my wardrobe is half sweet-half classic with some nice browns in there among the pink/mint/pastels and I love having that option of going for an outfit I know will stand out a LOT (sweet) or one that'll just make me feel elegant and ladylike in a casual classic coord.

>> No.10044678

>>10044377
>I haven't heard of that one for ages, does it still exist?
Probably? I don't see something underground like that ever truly going away.

>Now that is quite a journey.
It was, I think I was looking up dreadfalls and was looking at pastel crap which led to the fairy kei / decora sales site on LJ, They linked the Lolita sales LJ in their sidebar iirc. It was an odd trip.

>> No.10044687

>>10044553
>Ayy same first dress
Yeah, I noticed after posting my comment and was surprised! Although my version is blue (for some reason stock pictures are hard to find).

>If you can’t necessarily afford it now, start saving up in a little lolita fund
I probably didn't express myself very well. I do have the money to buy a 200+USD dress, but I could never spend that much on a dress for the way I was raised/the way I am. I don't own any
valuable thing so even wearing a 100+USD dress out makes me quite worried about spoiling it. I also can't justify spending a lot on lolita dresses because unfortunately I can't wear them often. But I love the idea of the fund, I had never thought about it. I'll definitely give it a try!

>start looking at the Japanese sites (fril,y!japan,mercari)
I've recently started doing this and I did notice that things can be pretty inexpensive there! I used to buy from secondhand Japanese stores because I trusted them more. But I might give private sellers a try (:

Thank you and I wish you luck with your MM collection!

>> No.10044689
File: 530 KB, 576x800, 1474892466553.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was about 14, I had a rp blog of all things. Saw mary magdalene stock pics of jsks on tumblr and people would be like 'My character would wear this xD', and I liked the dresses so I had a look, and the more I looked the more I realised their characters wouldn't wear the clothes, because they thought they were poofy sundresses when in actuality they were lolita! Of course I couldn't get pieces until way later, but I guess I was into classic first?

Gothic and MM classic. I didn't like IW or OTT sweet. I ended up having a sweet-loving phase: I prided myself on liking more 'mature sweet' pieces like loyal rosette, romantic rose letter and cinema doll. Oh to be young and naive.

My first dream dresses were loyal rosette (OP in green) and cinema doll. loyal rosette probably wouldn't suit me nowadays but I'm getting cinema doll in the MTO! Super excited.

> first brand dress?
trianon OP by baby in lavender. It's beautiful but I barely wear it. Shame, because it's comfy af and fully shirred in a billion places.

I've never been able to stick to one style of lolita, so picking one single pic was so damn difficult. I was about 16ish when deerstalker were in their heyday and the sheer fun they seemed to be having really got me.

I wear whatever substyle now. Trying to get back into sweet because that 2012 - 2015 era sweet really hits me in the heart. Aside from pastel vomit - I've never liked pastel vomit on me.

>> No.10045269

>>10044444
>>10044452
I would never refer to myself as a baby, so I see it as odd and childish, honestly.

>> No.10045284

>>10045269
sounds like you have a weird relationship with the concept of childish things and babies. maybe if you stopped finding them sexual or insane, you'd be a more well adjusted person. get over it.

>> No.10045308

I remember being a poor teenager and fawning over new releases like MRC and Romantic Rose Letter. I wish I had money back then, so I could have purchased the whole set immediately instead of hunting down different pieces secondhand!

>> No.10045338
File: 41 KB, 300x400, JetJ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I discovered lolita around 2006 when I was in 7th grade. I found the Kamikaze Girls book in a bookstore and then lurked the EGL LiveJournal comm for years, but I didn't buy my first dress until 2012.
Gothic/Classic. I'm still pretty much into the same brands- VM, MM, JetJ, and Millefleurs
There was a JetJ dress I was dying to graduate in when I was in middle school, pic related, and while I own quite a lot of JetJ from that time period now, I don't have this one and am kinda doubtful if I ever will, given the inflation on old JetJ nowadays.
> first brand dress?
It was actually JetJ's L'etoile du Soir JSK, which was pretty lucky. I got into lolita at the height of OTT sweet lolita, so lots of classic and gothic dresses were just...around, not being bought.
I fell in love with that one blackxwhite Baby ad where the model is wearing a bonnet and hiding behind a tree. Also the street snap with two girls and one is wearing this VM bustier from 2001 and a pretty short skirt, and she has a hime cut and braids.
I mean, I think I'm better at putting together outfits now, and as the fashion evolves I've loved many of the new trends that have come from it (sack dresses, the influence of western indie brands, elaborate headdresses, the religion trend...) but at the end of the day, I pretty much like the same shit.

>> No.10045338,1 [INTERNAL] 

I discovered lolita around four years ago when a highschool friend introduced me to the style - so late 2014, 2015 maybe? Shame she ended up losing interest in it a year or so later and never actually wore it (only admired it from afar), she would've looked very cute in lolita. I had a bit of an ita phase until early 2017, when I actually started investing myself in the style, and bought my first brand piece (a 3F bonnet) from a local lolita.
In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't reach out to local lolitas until much later when I actually started dressing decently.

Classic (and "bittersweet" unfortunately)

My very first DD was F+F's 10 O'Clock Cinderella OP. I never got it, being a poorfag highschooler at the time - and having decided not to buy anything expensive before I'd found a style I was sure I'd like.

> first brand dress?
Metamorphose Tiered Pintuck jsk (green floral print), which I got off Wunderwelt.

Grandma's couch IW dresses off Google Images lol

They haven't really changed. No bittersweet anymore though (thank god).

Lolita has, though, encouraged me to lose weight, which I'm quite thankful for (I was a fat teen), and to become much more social than I used to be. I'm now an active member of a budding community whereas before, I could hardly say hello to people.

>> No.10046005
File: 111 KB, 1200x400, staresinlesbian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

14 years old, 2005. Kamikaze Girls advert.

Even though I initially saw sweet lolita and Btssb, it was the classic lolita because of this coord and Mary Magdalene that drew me in (shame it was a costume for the movie instead of an actual dress for sale)

This was so long ago, but I want to say it was MM's Copine Georgette jsk. No, I never did. It's incredibly difficult to find even back then; I've had opportunities to try on MM pieces thanks to a mentor, but even my teen body found their clothes too small. :/

At the time though, I did pine for an Anna House skirt and did get it with the headbow. I didn't have a complete coord, but I felt like I understood the fashion better and closer to an actual lolita.

> first brand dress?
AP's Glitter Trump jsk. Sadly I've sold the set because it eventually got tight and I was giving up sweet. My first brand item however is Baby's snow dot skirt. I still have it and though it doesn't go with my current style, I'm keeping it because I got it on my first visit to a brand shop.

pic related

I went from sweet to gothic (specifically kuro lolita) to classic. Now I mainly wear classic, collect old school pieces I've always wanted as a teen, and easing into otome.

>>10044689
>screams.gif

I totally had a lolita character in a rp board when I was a teenager.

>> No.10046006

>>10045284
I never said it was sexual though.
I just don't want to lower myself to the status of "baby". Like you can be new to something, sure. But calling it "baby" adds this childish vibe to it. Someone I work with called the new hires "babies" and I cringed. Had nothing to do with sex. I know where you're getting that from but that isn't what I said at all.

>> No.10046014
File: 144 KB, 645x467, tartan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044575
me too! 11 years later, the jsk is in my wardrobe.

>>10044522
>avant gauche
w e w
hit me in the feels

>>10046005
oh shoot, I forgot I had a long country lolita and sailor lolita phase before committing to classic. I tried and failed punk lolita.

If I had settled on a style and not gotten so chub lately, I'd probably amass a huge wardrobe. Sometimes I feel less of a lolita for having a comparably small wardrobe, but everyone's journey is different. I'm just thankful that I never left the fashion and got to see it evolve since egl's zenith

/sage

>> No.10046130
File: 200 KB, 638x574, 1495537856701.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i discovered it in highschool when my nice weeb friend told me i reminded her of kanon wakeshima. i was 14 then.

2010 AP sweet

i think it was the AP tokimeki girl OP, i got it sometime last year

> first brand dress?
AP dreamy baby room JSK. i was a wee 14 year old visiting AP SF for the first time and didn't know it was kind of polarizing. no regerts, it's still cute

sifting through the GLBs had a part in making me want to actually wear it

i focused a lot on buying my favorite AP prints, but now that my wardrobe is full of them i just buy solids/simple patterns. dabbling in classic. lolita in general doesn't make me as excited as it used to. i think i bought too much in too short of a time and the glimmer wore off.

>> No.10046157

>>10044414
I pronounce it babbylita tbf

>> No.10046327
File: 84 KB, 337x614, babby.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
Middle school, at about 13. I was constantly surrounded myself with weeb and weeb-inspired stuff, so it was only a matter of time. I was shocked to discover that not only was there a way to dress like muh animu irl without it being a costume or based on any specific character, but that there was an entire subculture dedicated to it as a fashion. I was hooked.

I was an edgy emo, so I wanted all black, not realizing that kuro =/= gothic. After doing more research, I leaned more towards classic. I was also a little into historical fashion, so it then became a thing of "muh edwardian summer"

First legit brand dress I became fixated on was IW's Marie Rose OP. Had the chance to get it a while ago, but I realized it just doesn't do it for my anymore...

> first brand dress?
Heh, I'm nervous that this might be incriminating, but IW's Berangere Rose. Bought it straight from the online store summer sale and boy was that a rush.

All of the pics from lolitafashion.org, mainly the kuro ones like pic related. I tried to revisit the site in the past but alas, both it and hellolace are gone. I wish there was a way I could determine which photos were on the site so I can track them down for myself.

I wear all three substyles interchangeably now, despite the fact that in middle school I was very indifferent towards sweet and bright colors in general. I was also very humbled by just looking at the fashion and the thought wearing it or even coming close to owning it was a distant dream.

>> No.10046703

It was like 2015? I was like 16 and searching Venus Angelic or something like that and I went on the angelic pretty website and saw all the lovely pastel poofy dresses and absolutely loved it.
Definitely sweet!
Crystal Dream Carnival in navy. I actually didn't have a dream dress until this year when I saw it for the first time.
> first brand dress?
Mary Romance from AP. It's like a lucky bag dress that I overpaid for on LM but i love it so much
The post cards on the AP website really did it for me.
I've kind of fallen out of sweet. I like solids and I'm leaning more towards classic.

>> No.10046708

>>10044066
Read Kamikaze Girls when I was 12 because my best friend's big sis said Momoko reminded her of me. She kind of forced me to read it, it was a bit weird thinking back on it. I was an ugly nerd with no fashion sense, how did she ever guess I'd like lolita?
I didn't even Google and get into the fashion until I was 14 or so and didn't own brand until I was 16.

Classic, but I've always been sort of in between them all.

Ribbon Rose Embroidery and Iron Gate! Yes, I have both.

> first brand dress?
BTSSB Name of the Rose Halter JSK

Kamikaze Girls. Nana Kitade. An old ad for Mary Magdalene's Rote Rose. Mana's pics. Pics on LJ of comm meetups. Also Beth's weird ads with the bunny heads, they freaked me out but I loved the coords.

I'm more into gothic now, but my taste hasn't changed much since I was young. I just know how to better execute a coord now.

>> No.10046724

It's been so long I hardly remember.. was probably 11 or 12. I came across it online looking for cosplays, and then later a friend re-introduced me to it and I started to gain further interest once I got a style name and everything.

Gothic.. I love all the really elegant gothic coords.

It was some super frilly black dress from Fanplusfriend ugh.. I never got it, ended up making my first lolita dress ever.

> first brand dress?
I actually only recently got my first brand dress!
Crystal Dream Carnival in Lavender, I've been considering selling it though.

All the old street snaps of lolitas, mainly in the winter with their big fluffy coats and parasols!

I'm super into pink and frills, super over the top sweet coords.. I do still love very elegant styles though, just not sure they'd suit me!

>> No.10046800

>>10044290
Oh wow anon, we're really similar. I got into lolita at the same age through dress up games.

>first substyle
I was into classic at first, ogling mary magdalene but it was too expensive, and I was so young that the single classic bodyline dress I bought didn't really suit me.
Once I got to high school and got a job at 14 I started buying old school baby and AP because it was the only burando I could afford in the quantities I wanted. (I wear otome and sweet/classic now)
>first dream dress
I wanted Mary Magdalene's Claudette OP in light blue. It's still on my wishlist, and I actually have money now, so hopefully I'll be able to afford it soon.
>first brand dress
Baby's red hood OP in ivory, I sold it to another gull who wanted it since I only ever wore it twice. It was just too much of a lewk for me to feel comfortable with.
>media
I was obsessed with lolita blogs when I was younger, especially fyeahlolita. I'm still sad that caro-chan isn't active anymore.

>> No.10046805
File: 58 KB, 500x750, 5CF7AA72-60C4-4085-8A91-E4A832D35AB5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
Great thread OP!

I was 17; I was looking at general weeb shit which led me to visual kei which then led me to lolita
OTT sweet
Sugary Carnival OP in sax. I first bought the replica in sax when I was 20 and never wore it. I did eventually buy the actual jsks in pink and sax but sold them immediately because it didn’t look right on me. I’d still consider buying the OP for nostalgia
> first brand dress?
Fancy Box in navy
I fell in love with all of Cadney’s OTT sweet coords. It made me want to buy and wear lolita so badly!
I switched from OTT sweet to classic, old school, and toned down sweet. I kept my Fancy Box jsk set because it still makes my heart go doki doki whenever I wear it

>> No.10046891

I was 16 or 17 and I was obsessed with Tomoyo from Cardcaptor Sakura. One day when I went to my town's comic book shop to buy another volume of CCS, I saw a Gothic & Lolita Bible, and that was it. The old me was slain.

Gothic, particularly gothic in white.

AatP's Stained Glass JSK in ivory, and Meta's Revival Bouquet bustle OP in green. I got the second one for my birthday two years ago.

> first brand dress?
AatP's Victoria JSK in ivory.

Nana Kitade, Mana, and Kaya's GLB photos, as well as the few Lolitas in the Fruits books.

I still love Gothic and Classic, oldschool styles, and solids. But I have the ability to coord "costumier" pieces into a normal outfit now without looking like my clothes are wearing me.

>> No.10046943

2008, I was 17
Gothic, definitely. I was a mallgoth at the time...
MMM Lace Flock JSK which I finally found and could afford about 3 years ago.
> first brand dress?
I think it was AP's Polkadot Princess. Someone did a photoshoot with the grey version on EGL back in the day, so when it came up for a good price I bought it.
I can't actually remember. I think the first pictures I saw were the old GLBs on Avant Gauche, but I didn't really like the style of lolita at the time and really hated the idea of lace-trimmed anything - seeing more ruffles and plain-coloured Mary Magdalene/VM which looked a little like Wednesday Addams encouraged me more.
I initially tried getting into sweet as it was around the time that sweet totally took off, and so I was seeing a lot of it on LJ. Sweet at the time was also easier to get hold of because Bodyline was the cheapest thing around and all their "gothic" stuff was ita as shit. Now my style is all over the place - earlier this year I tried to identify themes and motifs in my wardrobe and came up with:
- Plain gothic dresses in a range of black and jewel tones, and black x white old school
- Sweet is all prints - cats, strawberries, music themes.
- Plain classic in jewel tones, and book prints
- I like stripes and regimental stripes
- I like metamorphose

>> No.10047064
File: 13 KB, 236x361, 196efccebd1e6af5dfbd5764c3ba3da7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Way back in 2002, I'm an oldfag. I was 18. Started wearing it (properly, not counting ita phase with "loliable" shit) in 2005.
Oh dear, I just loved pretty much anything & all styles. I was Baby (and later on in 2004 AatP), Moitie & Meta obsessed, still am.
My first dream dress was Meta's Velveteen Triple Frill OP from 2004. I obtained it, it's still in my closet but no longer a DD.
> first brand dress?
BTSSB's 3-tier Karami jsk. No longer have it though.
Yes, Shoichi Aoki's Fruits book, found a reccommendation in a magazine and this started my obsession.
Yes and no. I still love old school but I feel my tastes have changed lately. I really want to focus on mostly gothic (old & new) now and have a more cohesive wardrobe as well.
I'm contemplating selling a large part of my collection, mostly the old school (velveteen) Meta stuff I own, and some random pieces I feel like they don't belong because they are no longer my style or didn't fit right/flatter me.

>> No.10051365
File: 90 KB, 280x373, dd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044066
14 or 15. I was trying to find gothic clothing online that my mom would approve of. I stumbled across gothic lolita not knowing what it was called.
Definitely gothic. Since I didn't know what it was I called it 'gothic victorian' when trying to explain it to my mom.
Holy Lantern. When I finally knew to look up 'lolita' I eventually found a floordinate for the ivory holy lantern and fell in love. My husband got it for me for Christmas one year and It's been my treasure ever since.
> first brand dress?
Holy lantern OP ivory
When I was younger I watched a lot of j-fash videos and things about the Harajuku fashion walk and things like that to fuel my obsession.
I used to only like gothic but now I also really like sweet. I told everyone when I was a teen that I hated pink and girly things, but that was only because I had a dumb 'goth persona' that I kept up at school because it made people avoid me and I used to be bullied a lot when I was younger. Now as an adult I embrace all the kawaii stuff I pretended to hate when I was a kid.

>> No.10052919
File: 45 KB, 250x333, 378761-1909-2015-05-25373856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hope it's okay to bump;I thought this was such a cute thread idea.

14, I found some "cosplay lolitas" at a con in like 2009 and was amazed. Had a bit of a rough ita phase at cons and didn't properly care or invest in the fashion until 2014.

Sweet,definitely.

It was Cream Cookie Collection, and no, not yet. It's not much of a dream dress anymore, just a casual want.

> first brand dress?
AP's Baniran Heart. I still have it; it's so cute.

A lot of cgl lurking and old school coords made me fall in love. I looked at Lor's coords a lot too.

I'm not into super pastel coords anymore, but back in the day I was obsessed with prints like Milky Planet, Sugary Dream Carnival, etc. I now moreso wear more mature sweet and old school.

Thanks for this thread, I loved reading everyone's lolita origin stories

>> No.10052956
File: 39 KB, 480x640, 5a086e1c4544bdbc70ce8001b26c58ea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10044307
Oh my god, I was looking up cyber goth as well. I dressed like a complete nerd at the time—I wasn't even in high school (2012ish?) and had frugal parents, so I wouldn't have been able to buy my own clothes anyway. I somehow found a "cyber lolita" thread on cgl which made me fall in love with awful coordinates with black colorways of sweet prints (thank god I didn't have money). I went through about a billion phases in terms of what styles interested me while lurking on different forums. It wasn't until college that I finally developed my own daily style and I'm just now feeling confident enough that my taste will be consistent to start buying dresses. It turns out I never grew out of pastels and black in the end, but I swear to never coordinate them with rave gear.

>> No.10052960

>>10052919
oh my gosh anon i love the lovely heart set it melts my heart every time i see it

>> No.10052962

>>10052960
Gosh, I know right... I still love the dress. All the different textures, the big laced hearts on the waist ties... I'll never forget holding that dress after having only bodyline for so long and thinking "wow, this is what quality feels like" haha

>> No.10052968

>>10044354
Goodness, I remember all of those people! Faunkegin and her milky-chan te fawn outfits, Octavekitten in her lovely gothic, and so on! I also really liked (in terms of wardrobe posts!) people like red_tonic and animerei. Man, those were the days..sadly I think katzixx passed away some years ago. ):

>> No.10052977
File: 44 KB, 358x499, 51T1TXY6M1L._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sometime in 2006/2007. I played with KiSS dolls made by SakuraFairy/Tyler, and I got a KERA magazine as a gift. I was 12.

Gothic, because at the time I was a weeby mallgoth

I got into sweet later on, and my first dream dress was Sugary Carnival because every sweet lolita had to have it back then. I first got the skirt, then the JSK and OP. Now I only have the JSK.

> first brand dress?
A weird and old BTSSB OP that I got off ebay

yes, I would read the lolita-handbook daily and look at all the example photos they posted and i became transifxed with the fashion. once i watched kamikaze girls it was over, i was in love.

i went from weeby baby goth ita, to tryhard OTT sweet pastel vomit, to a slightly more toned down sweet style today. nowadays i am really attracted to food prints inspired by vintage advertising (think honey cake) and more simple cuts.

>> No.10053294
File: 38 KB, 236x543, AEEF6DAB-0F76-4BCD-8361-20901945F098.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I discovered Lolita when I was in middle school, I was really into scene and was looking for other alternative fashions to get into and found it through deviantart. I also found lolita in this website called Stardoll as well and bought the dresses for my avatar, but I didn’t start deeply getting into it until I was 14/15 right at my weeb phase when I saw anime characters wearing the fashion and thought it was a cute to wear irl
I was really into creepy cute/pastel goth and liked it when lolitas mixed both aesthetics (pastelbat and hellobatty were my favorites) I wanted to have a witchy halloween wardrobe gearing towards sweet, and I was also really into star and constellation prints
My first dream dresses were the Holy Lantern OP in lavender and the Cosmic JSK in lavender too. When Dreamy Planetarium came out I was crazy for it though and it also gained a special place in my dream dress list of the time. Never got any of these but I still want them, just in different cuts and color ways, and they are not my dream dresses anymore so I’m not prioritizing them
> first brand dress?
My first dress was a taobao halloween print JSK but my first ever brand piece was a black floral AP skirt I bought from a comm member who was leaving EGL
Some anime/videogame characters (such as Celestia Ludenberg from DR and Stocking) inspired me to try the fashion. When I actually started learning more about the fashion I really liked the old school gothic streetsnaps a lot despite that not being my favorite aesthetic at first.
I still like both sweet and gothic but like to keep them separate and wear them depending on my mood. I also really love old school Lolita now, not really into the whole Halloween Lolita aesthetic anymore.

>> No.10053431

>>10052968
yeah katzixx had a kidney disease iirc
i'm friends with faunkegin on facebook now. she's really cute still, but was way more mature and selective with her internet presence back in the day. octavekitten is still around, so is redtonic.

>> No.10053701

>>10053431
Yeah, I see both redtonic and octavekitten around when I go to the big European events. Nice to see that some people have remained! Gingerbreadgirl (Shelby) is too, or at least made some kind of casual lolita pic group like a year ago.

>> No.10053728
File: 210 KB, 726x1024, 7DEA67DA-9F36-4933-A339-B65D738A6800.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think it was at Sakuracon 2007 where they had a showing of kamikaze girls, but I was a broke teenager so I didn’t think of actually wearing it myself.
Well it’s considered “oldschool” now, but pretty much all styles from that era, especially gothic
I didnt really have dream dresses, but if pic related ever pops up I would be delighted
> first brand dress?
I think it was an angelic pretty dress from the early 2000s
Those early gothic pics on the bridge sucked me in
when I started wearing the fashion around 2014 it was exclusively boy style since it suits me better, but the oldschool “resurgence” has me wearing actual lolita more