[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 6 KB, 214x236, 1534742467425.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10007488 No.10007488 [Reply] [Original]

itt, lessons you learned the hard way
for me, it's not to cheap out on inbuilt speakers for your cosplay

>> No.10007526

Lolita fashion will ruin your finances if you let it. I caught myself slipping, letting credit card debt build up to buy dream dresses. Even though I could pay it off, I should have been saving the money instead and paying it with cash not credit.

>> No.10007784

"VM and MM look absolutely fabulous but they're too eye-catching for you and you will never be brave enough to wear them out". I'm not sure what I should learn from this, maybe that I'm an awful person after all.

>> No.10007785

>>10007784
Do you wear other lolita brands? VM and MM are pretty eye-catching, but they don't tend to be OTT and at least they look more like historical fashion than other types of lolita clothes. I feel like people react a lot less strongly to that than to sweet or certain types of gothic.

>> No.10007805

>>10007785
Sweet would definitely get more attention but luckily it's not my style. I do own pieces by other brands (mainly ETC, AP and BTSSB + some Bodyline) and desu I don't wear them that much either. When I do, I try to tone them down in an otome kind of look. Honestly it's pretty hard being a lonelita in a place where Japanese fashion (or even alternative fashion) is uncommon.

>> No.10007807

sweet will never suit you, also lose a bit of weight

>> No.10007813

>>10007807
>sweet will never suit you

Why?

>also lose a bit of weight

You can do it anon, good luck

>> No.10007839

A bit off topic, but someone said that they like Lolita fashion but not on me and it hurt so much. I'm in the process of losing weight I've lost 15 pounds already and I know I still need to lose more, but they never specified why it didn't suit me so like ???

>> No.10007844

>>10007839
If they didn't specify, I'm not sure their opinion is worth the time of day. Maybe they're right and it doesn't flatter you but they didn't say that, did they? It's not exactly helpful feedback.
Please take care of yourself, aim to be healthy not just to lose weight, and compare your own wardrobe and how the different garments fit you to lolitas whose style you love; this is what helped me see that I was on the right track with my coords when I was a newbie, it might help you as well.

>> No.10007850

>>10007805
I'm a lonelita and I have never seen another lolita in my area. it's not hard, I just don't give a fuck what other people think about my clothing. And this is coming from an introverted fuck who actually hates attention, but I prefer dressing like/being "me", even if that means people look at me.

>> No.10007857

>>10007488
Stop fucking procrastinating, it literally never helps and just stresses you the fuck out. Don't ever try to hot glue anything that you are currently wearing. Do a test run, or at least put on the whole outfit once and wear it around the house for a bit. Don't breathe in the fumes from plasti-dip or contact cement.

>> No.10007872

>>10007813
Why? Too tall, way too leggy. And thank you, I need the motivation. May you find your dream dress soon <3

>> No.10007881

Measure twice cut once
I still make this mistake

>> No.10007894

Have your cosplay prepared at hand at least three months before the actual con

>> No.10007905

>>10007894
Man, I wish I could learn that one. I've gotten better about not leaving it until the absolute last moment, but I don't know if I'll ever get to having it completely done months before the con.

>> No.10007909

Don’t sew while tired or frustrated, the time you save will likely be reversed by some mistake that needs a few hours to fix ( or you’ll accidentally machine sew through your finger )

>> No.10007930

Wear your entire cosplay before taking it out to the con. Make sure everything works and looks right.
NEVER wear anything for the first time at the con.

>> No.10007932

>>10007930
Yeah, I feel like a lot of mishaps and broken stuff could be avoided completely if people would do this and make sure their stuff holds up and stays put.

>> No.10007940

>>10007844
Well they said "It's definitely something I like, it's just not flattering on you", I originally thought that they just didn't like lolita ya know.

>> No.10007998

Never wear heels to a con unless you can actually wear them!! You are on your feet the entire time and only people who have practiced/are used to it should wear them. Even then bring an extra pair of shoes or don't bother with heels.

At anime expo I saw this poor girl struggling to get through the entrance and her boyfriend had to help her to the stairs to sit down. She was walking slowly and painfully and honestly I could even feel it. It's not worth it.

>> No.10008000

>>10007998
fuckingthis lmao
like i hear cosplayers like “it’s my first time wearing heels!!!”
blisters later yea... well how else will they learn, right

>> No.10008069

>>10007998
blocky heels (like wedges or gogo boots) are so much more comfortable and easy to walk in than stilettos, so if you have the option, ALWAYS pick blocky heels

>> No.10008077

>>10007488
Stop buying so many dresses and save more money. That cushy job could go bye bye.

>> No.10008089

I learned that OTT sweet lolita does not suit me in the slightest. It took me almost two years and about $1000 spent on main pieces to realize that classic and gothic looks way better on me. When I wore sweet I looked like a mom trying to fit in with her embarrassed teenage daughter and failing miserably at it. When I wear classic or gothic I look mature but still very cute and youthful.

>> No.10008105

I've made so many....
Don't drink and taobao. Also, don't have a glass of wine and then decide to use a belt sander on a project.

>> No.10008109

Quit trying to cut the foam with anything other than a sharp blade. It never fucking ends well.

>> No.10008116

Make less costumes so that you can put the money needed into the ones that you do make.

I went from making 10 costumes a year to 1-2 and they look so much better now I’m actually putting the money (and time) they deserve into them.

>> No.10008119

I look terrible in oldschool lolita. In theory, it should suit me since I have an oldschoolish haircut and a small enough frame to fit the clothes, but I have mature features and there's something about my body mechanics that isn't delicate enough to achieve that doll-like feeling.

>> No.10008182

Two lessons I never had problems with but so many friends still seem to have trouble learning

>If your costume isn't done the weekend before the con, it isn't getting done.
You still gotta pack and make sure you have everything else you need for the trip. Just this year I had friends who were finishing their costumes in their hotel room Friday night only to have parts falling off the first time they tried to wear them.

>Con time is precious, don't waste it doing normal weekend stuff.
I still don't understand why people get so shitfaced drunk at cons that they sleep past noon and don't want to do anything the next day. This is stuff you could do any weekend with your friends, you don't need to travels a hundred miles and get an overpriced hotel room to do it. Even had friends get charged hotel rimjob fees cause they overslept their checkout times.

>> No.10008186

>>10008182
I have 3 friends that spend forever to get to the con in the morning and I always thought they were hungover until I realized they waste whole hours in the hotel room chatting in the morning. Not putting on a complicated cosplay or anything, they talk to each other and don't realize the time. These aren't even friends that only see each other at cons, they live together in the same apartment. And then they always complain when they need lunch ("aw, we just got here, but I'm already hungry") and when they miss panels they were interested in. I don't get it.

>> No.10008220

>>10008186
That really is weird. But I guess they value the chatting instead of the con? Pizzlig

>> No.10008238

When running fabric through your machine, especially fiddly areas like thin pieces, bend your finger tips like you're cutting food rather than lay flat. You still have the same grip as you would otherwise and if your clumsy, tired or stressed mistakes will happen

Don't run your fingers under a machine and end up in A&E like me with the needle in your bone.

>> No.10008366

Dont line for stuff you could have gotten in the same price from amazon

>> No.10008369

Never cosplay in the summer of south california.

SDCC/NYCC are too crowded

>> No.10008425

If you're tall, don't buy brand cutsews. I've bought at least half a dozen and only one of them ever fit properly. But I keep buying them because they're cute.

>> No.10008462

Don’t pay for expensive photoshoots at cons. There’s hardly ever locations that are worth it, and if there are, it’s gonna be crowded as hell.

>> No.10008496

>>10008425
How tall are you anon? I was about to buy some cutsews today for the first time and I'm 5'7

>> No.10008499

Always eat before you drink at a con and don't get piss drunk. Don't try to be a cheapskate on food, either. A beer or two while you're kicking back in your room is enough, no need to be at frat boy tailgater levels.

I agree with >>10008182, basically. After passing out years ago (For reference, I had just turned 21 and had no idea how to handle myself) and wound up missing a day, I've learned my lesson. Either drink in moderation or not at all and just enjoy the weeby shit. Theres time to have parties all year.

>> No.10008500

>>10008425
I'm super tall and I can't do AP or BTSSB cutsews, they are like belly shirts on me. Innocent world and ETC cutsews fit pretty well though.

>> No.10008528

>>10008496
I'm also 5'7'' but I have a longer than average torso (I only have a 30'' inseam lmao), so they are too short for me to wear with skirts.
>>10008500
Maybe I'll give those a try, thanks anon! The only two cutsews I've ever owned that were long enough were Meta, but those are hit and miss and I always have to check the measurements carefully.

>> No.10008584

>>10008077
>Stop buying so many dresses and save more money

Adding to that stop buying cheap stuff in bulk, if it's just for the sake of being cheap and that you find okay/mediocre at best. Sometimes less is more. Save your money and buy the stuff you genuinely like instead.

>> No.10009093

I love how in most of these posts you can picture an entire story fed by just one sentence

>> No.10009109

>>10007488
Don't let your boyfriend wash your clothes or you'll spend literal hours every week trying to find the old, rare-ish dress he accidentally dyed pink on every platform secondhand lolita can possibly pop up on.

Also don't try to fix an accidental dye job with hope and more dye. Even if the main fabric ends up nicely black, the white threads will be visible and neither more dylon nor sharpies will cover them. To cover those white threads, you'll need the kind of dye that works on poly fabrics, and that dye is intense and expensive to use.

>> No.10009118

Take enough breaks while sewing so that your fucking carpal tunnel doesn't flair up and make you useless and in pain the following week.
Going through this presently and I never learn.

>> No.10009124

>>10009109
What kind of dumbass doesn't know that reds should be washed separately? Is your boyfriend retarded?

>> No.10009160

>>10009124
>is he retarded
Not usually, but in that moment he sure was. He usually separates the wash just fine, neither of us understand how he fucked up that badly.

To be fair, I was also an idiot for thinking I knew how to fix it. With these levels of stupidity, we probably deserve each other.

>> No.10009174

>Don’t try to cram too many cosplays into one day
>Don’t pack too many cosplays
I used to cram 3-4 cosplays into every full-length day, plus 1 on Thursday and 2 on Sunday. I did so many costume changes because I felt like I needed to go to every fandom photoshoot I was interested in, and that I also needed to change into specific characters to meet voice actors. I wasted at least 3 hours per day just traveling back to my hotel room and changing. Plus packing 9+ cosplays made packing stressful as hell, and made it easy to lose small pieces.

Now I do 2 cosplays per full-length day. One serious cosplay during the day, and one comfy cosplay in the evening (usually Fri and Sat night get the same cosplay) Sundays get one cosplay. I rarely cosplay on Thursdays anymore because to me it’s not worth putting on contacts, makeup, and a costume to wear it for like 2-3 hours.

>> No.10009175

>>10009160
Well, to be fair, if you're just washing a bunch of t-shirts and causal clothes normally, the stakes aren't high, you ruin a t-shirt, go get another for 5 bucks anywhere. It probably isn't cemented in his mind that it's absolutely vital to separate the colors.

>> No.10009276

I made myself a simple rule, one new costume per convention. It doesn't help that I do 12+ conventions per year.

>>10009174
Given the number of costumes I have at this point, I completely understand this one. I usually take 6 cosplays for "4-day" cons, 4 casual ones that will fit in garment bags and 2 large ones that require special containers.

>> No.10009297

>>10007488
When you move to Florida, everything will take ages to dry because of the humidity. Get used to it and stop being an impatient brat. Also, Mod Podge just doesn't seem to ever dry properly down here, so don't bother.

>> No.10009366
File: 203 KB, 493x503, aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I learnt not to buy mass produced wigs for certain characters

this was for mastered ultra instinct goku and I ended up spray painting the wig white, you would think this would be the one that fucks everything up but surprisingly it came out relatively ok. the part that I fucked up was buying a mass produced wig, on the website the wig looked like how it was in the anime but what I got was all the spikes are sagging, nothing is where it should be and the one big spike is the only one that holding together, so now I have a floppy spray painted wig that looks like shit. moral of the story, just cash out for something professionally made

>> No.10009392

>>10009093
The wine and belt sander one is definitely an interesting mental image.

>> No.10009437

>>10009392
That was me... Let's just say that both the thing I was sanding, and one of my knuckles, ended up very much worse for my poor decision.

>> No.10010089

Be extremely careful with trimming threads

Seriously, the one time I accidentally cut a hole in my tank top made me pissed at myself for several days since I had to redo the whole thing.

Thankfully at least I learned to use a better stabilizer for the next attempt but still

>> No.10010116

>>10007488
God that image unsettles me on a fundamental level

>> No.10010168

Wigs are better than colored hairspray and painting directly onto fabric with acrylic paint does not look good. Thankfully I learned these early, but I still had to learn it the hard way and I'm so glad there aren't any pictures of the times before I did

>> No.10010598

>>10009174
>3-4 cosplays for every full day
I had to read that several times to acknowledge that insane people who do that actually exist. I do get the notion wanting to wear something fitting for fandoms meets, but this is just ridiculous. Glad you don't do it anymore, anon. Save the changing time and enjoy the con and time with your friends.

>> No.10010706

>>10008425
Same. Its not even the length that bothers me since I usually wear them under JSKs, it's just that the cutsew rides up and my tits get stuck in the waist area and made the ugliest wrinkles.

>> No.10010882

Thick fabric need sturdier needle.
Remember to take out all pins.
When ironing something new try the heat somewhere it doesn't show.

>> No.10011427

>>10007807
i'm sure you could try classic sweet anon,good luck on your weight loss!

>> No.10011429

Do not buy cheap makeup online that doesn't have reviews/isn't from a trusty seller, you dipshit. That pink eye wasn't worth it even if it was cheap and only for a single day at a con

>> No.10011482

>>10009366
>buying a pre-styled wig
There's your problem.

>> No.10011495

Don’t buy cheap hand sewing needles, when they snap they will turn into projectiles and fly directly up your nose.

>> No.10011500

>>10010168
>painting directly onto fabric with acrylic paint does not look good
I've actually done this and had it turn out really well, with the caveat that you need to mix the paint with 1 part of fabric medium. Also, if the fabric has even a short pile (like fleece for example), be sure to shave or cut that off on the sections that paint will be applied to.

Anyway my contributions:
Try not to stay up the entire night before the con doing makeup for an SFX-heavy character. If the makeup takes more than 4 or so hours, you really need to consider if it will be worth how tired you'll feel at the con. When determining how long it will take, add about an hour or so from the length of your practice runs, since the desire to make it look perfect on actual con day will probably make the process take a bit longer.
Don't heat PVC indoors. The fumes are fucking nasty and probably not safe.
Don't use any spray adhesive or spray paint indoors, unless you have a proper vent setup for it. Its mist will get on everything in the room and again the fumes aren't good for you.
Melted styrofoam/polystyrene makes nasty fumes too.

>> No.10011563

>Don’t buy lace at Joann’s
Even the cheapest, scratchiest polyester shit is $1.99 a yard, where the actual nice-looking stuff is $10+ per yard. I later learned that there are Etsy sellers selling lovely cotton crochet lace for like $3 per yard.

>> No.10011655

>>10011495
Oh fuck, that sounds terrible. How bad was the injury?

>> No.10011664

>>10011563
i think the lace at joanns is only worth it when you can use a 60% off coupon on it, well depends on the type, there are only a handful that i personally use from there

>> No.10011673

Don't do your inktober picture while wearing a white cardigan. Anyone know how to get ink out of clothes?

>> No.10011680

>>10011673
milk? oxyclean

>> No.10011686

Don't spend all of your money for clothes on Lolita. Buy some good quality casual clothes as well that you can wear to work or when out with your non-Lolita friends. Otherwise you'll feel really ugly whenever you can't wear Lolita.

Buy more blouses, shoes and accessoiries so that you can make more coords per dress. It's much more rewarding to come up with a cute coord than to just buy a new dress.

Don't spend too much time reading negative stuff online. Many people are able to tell how bitter you are even if you try to hide it. Try to spend your time making some positive experiences.

>> No.10011691

>>10011686
I love you, anon.

>> No.10011753

Don't try to clean the blade of a hot knife while it's still on.

>> No.10011756

>>10011686
>Don't spend too much time reading negative stuff online. Many people are able to tell how bitter you are even if you try to hide it. Try to spend your time making some positive experiences.

I 100% agree on this but when it comes to lolita it's very hard finding a place where negativity is low or absent... where I live lolita is not a thing so I realy on online communities, and in most of those you can't avoid salty posts or bitter replies. If someone can suggest a more positive group/website/etc I'm all ears.

>> No.10012318

If what you love doesn't hurt anyone, then don't let anyone stop you from doing it
Don't let yourself stand in your own way either

>> No.10012345

Dont attempt to walk to Joanns in the middle of February after getting on the wrong bus.

>> No.10012357

>>10011655
Nothing bad, I just couldnt find the needle that broke off until 2 hours later when I blew my nose. I have heard quite a few stories of people accidentally inhaling / swallowing their sewing pins and going to the emergency room, however. Holding pins with your mouth is a dangerous habit.

>> No.10012906

>>10012357
Pfft, that's a funny end to a scary situation. Not for the other people though. I'd off mercy kill myself right there.

>> No.10013260

>>10007872
Nothing wrong with being tall and having long legs. Just means you need to style around it. Wanna make sure you don't accentuate clothes being short. If your posture is well and you style it well, long legs can be super elegant and beautiful. It's something humans uncontiously like, which is also why models and such often have to look like they've got long legs, and good pin-up drawings have elongated legs. Also, part of the reason heels are often considered nice looking, next to shaping the leg and making feet look smaller.

Its not a curse. You just gotta learn how to style it and make it work. You can't just put the same on as a short person with short legs and expect it to look the same. But that doesn't say there is no way to look as good! Don't give up anon.

>> No.10013266

>>10008425
I don't have trouble with the fit of the body itself. But it would be nice if long sleeves wouldn't be 3/4 sleeves on me.

>> No.10013288

>tfw you waited for the last second to place your bid but you lose the auction because you didn't except a person who already overbid herself 2 times in the last seconds to overbid herself again in the very last second and the bid you wanted to place ends up being only $2 below her value

I also felt safe because it was night time in her timezone. Never underestimate your bid war opponent even if it's for a not so popular release.

>> No.10013300

>>10011756
>I 100% agree on this but when it comes to lolita it's very hard finding a place where negativity is low or absent...
Highly disagreed. FB is full of SJW behaviour and busy with in exclusivity above anything. Animo is an even bigger mess that will praise the highest ita for existing. 4Chan is literally the only place where people are kinda salty, simply because that's what you get when you push all the salt away from other places and force people to go to a more anonymous/hidden spot. And even for a 4Chan board it's rather nice and strictly ruled. And even here people have a lot of normal conversations as well, only they aren't only about the pretty and nice topics but also the more tabboo ones together with the more tabboo opinions. Still a polite discussion on it, expect the average bait and troll ofc.

Are you that girl who mad that drama tread on RC a few days ago?

>> No.10013301

>>10013300
expect should have been exept

>> No.10013306

>>10013288
Many sites have a system to automatically overbid until a price you have set as max.

Kinda like, bidding starts at 20USD. You bid 30USD. Then what actually happens is they place your bid as 20USD. If no one else bids, you're lucky. If someone else bids 22USD, then you automatically bid, let's say, 24USD. This goes on until the bid you actually have filled in is reached. It's lovely for never having you spend more than needed. But horrible because you never know what the actual max bidded price is.

>> No.10013312

>>10013306
Not lacemarket, unless they changed this recently. Then of course I am stupid and I fucked up

>> No.10013317
File: 62 KB, 1518x470, f54fdbcc382caa9f8b370be3c4e20140.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10013312
They do actually
>https://egl.circlly.com/pages/faq

>> No.10013320

>>10013300
I think it depends on people's sentivity... From my point of view this board and some other communities I've taken part in can be really exhausting. I enjoy this board because it's active but at the same time it's really hard seeing people making fun of others constantly. I don't have issues with people's taboo opinions and topics, everyone has the right to speak their mind. I don't consider myself a SJW at all nor I spare people from honest concrit if they ask for it but I really can't stand seeing other people's pictures posted without their consent and ridiculised.

>Are you that girl who mad that drama tread on RC a few days ago?
No, I'm not active on FB lolita groups. I might give them a try since you said they are better from the salt point of view.

>> No.10013321

>>10013312
>>10013317
Also, it's been like since Circlly became a thing?

>> No.10013323

>>10013317
Wait, what? If that is ture the last auction I bidded on must have been bugged because the amount I placed got instantly placed and no, there were no other bidders.

>> No.10013324

>>10013320
>I really can't stand seeing other people's pictures posted without their consent and ridiculised.
Honestly, they gave up their privacy the moment they post it on the web. Anything online can and will be used against you. People can access it. People are being dumb nowadays, especially in what they post on social media. They really need to learn to thing about possible consequences. Unless you have the means to claim and force people acting about copyright on your stuff, you're giving it up for free when you put it online because you can't stop people and assholes will always exist.

Beside that, most social media you already give away copyright to the site by posting it, and you've agreed to that when you agreed to the terms you most likely didn't read. Honestly, I think if people get upset about a picture being taken from the web, they shouldn't het on the web, and especially not on social media.

Also, I feel like people being way too sensitive nowadays. And the SJW trend is partly to blame. But you can't make everything nice forever. Only looking for nice people, or well mannered people, is eventually just going to harm them as they are bound to meet assholes one day and it will only hit them harder when that happens. If you're sensitive, I know this is easier said then done, you really need to harden up.

>> No.10013325

>>10013320
>No, I'm not active on FB lolita groups. I might give them a try since you said they are better from the salt point of view.
I give you the benefit of the doubt. You might have noticed it on the online com tread. This one girl was having very similar things as you said, but instead of speaking politely as you do now, she made it into huge drama like we're all bad people and she would leave tons of upset and angry messages about it (and about how not hurt she was). Because the actual points where similar you kinda remind me of it. Anyways, FB is defiantly less salty, more towards the SJW side but not as extreme as places like animo. I think FB and 4Chan together give a decent combo as 4Chan can be quite on the salty side compared to the total of lolita's and has a lot of bait and trolls in between.

>> No.10013326

>>10013323
Like I said, it's been like this for quite a long time already. This is from the current FAQ (I just made the screenshot), but I don't even remember it different.

>> No.10013331

>>10013312
yea it’s been like that from the beginning

>> No.10013337

>>10013326
Yeah I got it. It doesn't explain what happened to my other auction though which made me falsely believe that auctions in general work that way.

>> No.10013340

>>10013337
Maybe if there is no minimum bid price it places the first bid as minimum? It's the only thing I can think of that might cause that, as their example has a start price as well.

>> No.10013345

>>10013340
but a minimum bid price is required for the auction to go thru

>> No.10013347

>>10013345
I thought you could also have free bidding? Like, no minimum beside "higher than previous bid if it exist" or does LM not allow that? If so, then I don't know. Maybe ask the LM mods?

>> No.10013355

>>10013324
>Anything online can and will be used against you
I agree with you on that, but it doesn't mean just because you can do something then it's right. For example, a picture of a lolita from my country was posted online by people who didn't even know what lolita is. They obv made fun of her for her weird appearance, some said they wanted to rape her etc (not writing everything, but it was pretty bad). In the end they got sued and had to remove the picture. This was way worse and more extreme than the ita thread, maybe not a good comparison, but anyway- making fun of people at their back is sad. Some cosplays or coords are straight out awful but I don't think this gives people the right to steal the picture and make fun of it. Or at least this is my opinion.

>You might have noticed it on the online com tread.
Yes I did, although honestly it was by chance and I didn't really look into it much. To be honest I think it's useless, people won't change just because you complain. I've explained my point of view because we are discussing but in normal circumstances I wouldn't pretend people care about my criticism when they're talking about other stuff. I do my best to make the online places where I go good, what I can do is awfully small but it's better than nothing. I think that's what people should do instead of starting up this cringey drama every once in a while.

>FB is defiantly less salty, more towards the SJW side but not as extreme as places like animo.
Thanks, I will try being more active on FB then. (And I genuinely wanted to like Amino but there were too many cringe people, like you said)

>> No.10013361

>>10013347
no, like i said min requirement is needed to create the auction
also >>10013337 isn’t me, just a rando stepping in

>> No.10013366

>>10013355
>it doesn't mean just because you can do something then it's right.
>making fun of people at their back is sad.
I agree that's it's right, sad, rude, and much more. But the point is, there will always be people who will do it none the less, no matter their reasoning. So you have to be prepared for that, no matter how you feel about it. Unless you have the means to stop people (in which case, they often still first have to hurt you before you can make them stop and try to fix it instead of being able to prevent), it's best to think about what other possibly could do with stuff you post online. Even when it's not right and horribly rude. If it happens it does happen and all you can do is deal with it. That's why I'm annoyed at the current behaviour of many about it. They complain about something unstoppable instead of facing (the perhaps sad) reality that assholes exist and that won't change, and they gladly abuse anything you do without caring for right or wrong unless you don't let them. Even when it's not you who does something wrong, it's all you can do to make things better for yourself.

>To be honest I think it's useless, people won't change just because you complain. I've explained my point of view because we are discussing but in normal circumstances I wouldn't pretend people care about my criticism when they're talking about other stuff. I do my best to make the online places where I go good, what I can do is awfully small but it's better than nothing. I think that's what people should do instead of starting up this cringey drama every once in a while.
I think this is a great attitude. Kudos to you.

>> No.10013371

>>10013361
Always love randos. Especially when having a highly unpopulair opinion, letting it rest yourself, and some rando keeps going on making drama and people think it's you while you tried to be as respectful as one can discuss an unpopular opinion.

That's sorta sarcastic. It's sometimes funny, but more often annoying because it's stops the conversation from possibly a decent one to a useless one.

Anyways, back on topic. Then I have no clue. Maybe try messaging LM mods. If this is indeed a bug, they might want to fix it as it cost people real life money while they state it should get a lower price than it actually does.

>> No.10013378

>>10013371
sorry i have no idea what the first part of your reply means but i’m assuming you’re referring to something else in the thread
i just stepped in about the bidding, i really doubt that actually happened

>> No.10013382

>>10013378
It was just a random reply on >>10013337 being a rando stepping in. I've had some funny as well as annoying moments on /cgl/ when randos take over mine (or others) conversation after original OP went to bed/work/whatever and then come back. More a general comment than something to you in particular.

>> No.10013413

>>10013366
I totally agree with you and that's why I keep posting on Instagram even if I know my coords aren't the best out there. I think people shouldn't let the chance of being made fun of (on cgl and in real life alike) rule their whole lives. And thank you for the civil discussion.

>> No.10013492

>>10013288
>not knowing what max bidding is.

>> No.10013587

Don't make everything out of worbla and if you do by god varnish and paint it properly. Also lose weight god damn it. No one wants to see your beer belly poking out.

>> No.10013590

Don't use Sintra without a face mask. That shit can kill you.

>> No.10013595
File: 66 KB, 605x454, 17342932_1381592071879578_6190262030035445283_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10013587
some people want tho...

>> No.10013842

>>10013260
That was beautiful, thank you.

>> No.10013845

>>10013587
>Don't make everything out of worbla
Why not?

>> No.10014076

>>10007784
>>10007805
anon I was in the same boat as you, i bought lolita before I had the courage to wear it outside. It upset me so much, so I've spent the last few months forcing myself pushing my boundaries slowly until I can now wear a subtle but full coord outside with relative ease. I also live in a bumfuck nowhere shitty town where people wear very boring clothes, so I know how you feel. I guess in the end i realized it wasn't just a confidence in lolita thing, it was a crippling self esteem problem. I eventually saw that being unable to walk down the street in lolita without feeling sick with fright was something I wanted OUT of my head. It's super hard, but it feels great to work through those problems, and have more confidence in every day life generally. you don't sound awful, just anxious, so I hope you find courage to wear what you love.

>> No.10014275

>>10007807
It's fine if you're fat but if you're ugly too, don't even bother.

>> No.10014285
File: 1.57 MB, 400x286, 1506894522713.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10007488
I try to stick to three rules when making my cosplays/armor:

1. I can walk around and stand comfortably
2. I can sit down comfortably
3. I can easily take a piss

Also, I make sure the cosplay is durable. I would test it by wearing it multiple times before the days I'm supposed to wear it. I also throw pieces around and slam them on the ground. If they survive no problem, then they're durable enough.

>> No.10014288

>>10014076
Congrats on working on those self-esteem issues! Wish you the best anon-chan

>> No.10014420
File: 64 KB, 656x637, 1336520146108.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10014288
d'aww, thank you! feels gud. You too.

>> No.10014759
File: 74 KB, 1024x920, b1965d5fd185be048f16bad2fb5664535d9e7006_hq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10008116
good tip. I used to churn out shit cosplays and be proud of it, until I realized that it was shit.

pic unrelated

>> No.10015168

>>10014076
Your answer really moved something in me, thank you. To be honest I really fear people making fun of me, harrassing me, taking unwanted pictures. And I don't want to drag my boyfriend into this unpleasant situations. But I also want to wear what I love and be happy. In your experience, what are some "safe places" where you can go in lolita? And do you have any specific advice? Also, thank you for your words and congratulations on winning against your fears.

>> No.10015176

>>10007784
The only way you'll ever be able to wear them out is by wearing them out.
I did this, I started buying pieces at 16 but never wore them out, and when I moved to university I made a friend who wore lolita. Suddenly it was like "oh, fuck, I'm terrified but I literally have to wear this now".
At first I'd take a taxi to the place we were meeting, then I levelled up to taking a taxi to the station, now I only take taxis late at night or if I'm late/wearing something OTT that I can't really take on public transport (also if I'm lazy).

Sometimes being forced into it is the only way. I'm fine now, I can do just about anything in lolita. Of course, people can be arseholes, but if you own your weirdness you'll always be one step ahead of them.
You can do it!

>> No.10015212

>>10007805
if your normie friends don’t mind, something I did when new was go hang out with them in a group and eventually I’d forget what I’m wearing and just enjoy being out

>> No.10015233

>>10007998
i feel like another thing to add to this is get insoles for your heels even if you're used to wearing them! wearing heels to a con is much harder on your feet than you think.

>>10008186
>"aw, we just got here, but i'm already hungry"
god i'm that bitch who gets to the con and immediately goes to starbucks, no matter what time of day it is (the starbucks near my local convention center is a block away so it's not a huge deal)

>>10010598
once i think i did 5 changes in a day. the third change involved applying body paint and the last change involved scrubbing it all off for a different cosplay. never again.

>> No.10015375

>>10007998
If your character uses heels, be sure to prep some matching flats too. That way you still maintain relative realism, and if someone wants a photo you could always swap for the heels for a moment and then go back to flats for going somewhere.
Also, tape your feet if you want to not have blisters. Legitimately. Meruna who happens to be a relatively well known Dota cosplayer does this, apparently just like ballerinas.

>> No.10015380
File: 644 B, 158x200, 362nbfjfbe8272191.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10015233
hmmm, what two characters would use the same bodypaint?

>> No.10015386

>>10013845
Kamui pls

>> No.10015423

>>10015380
the same character in two different outfits

>> No.10015471

>>10015423
Or different homestuck trolls, they're all grey.

>> No.10015491
File: 735 KB, 1160x1136, Screenshot_20181018-000817.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10015168
Aw im glad, I really empathize.
I feared that too, literally it would give me this intense sick/dizzy feeling even thinkng about people staring at me while in lolita, because in my head they're thinking I'm a freak, that I dress weird etc. Part of the problem is that the anxiety makes you believe you're the centre of the world, not in a good way. Like, that people will see you and it'll literally mind boggle them, as if they've never seen anything weird before. That isn't true though, we're prob at most a passing interest, some stares will also be enjoyment or jealousy. I try to remember that, also that people's thoughts don't matter at all and don't affect me. For me it was like a fuckin trained response from years of feeling the need to blend in so that people couldn't judge me, because I believed myself so ugly that if ppl looked at me they'd be disgusted, so I purposefully did nothing to stand out. Going from that- to not just wanting to be confident, but wanting to express yourself by wearing a crazy eye-catching fashion is two huge hurdles. Thats what i mean by it's a self confidence problem first and foremost.

Personally, this is maybe bad, and hopefully I'll have the courage to go everywhere one day, but I feel most confident in places that aren't chavvy (or 'trashy' if you're not British). I'm more comfortable in affluent cities where there's lots of expressive fashion, even if its just modern trendy stuff. I feel comfortable in countryside places with older ppl, who aren't bothered and don't look twice. Generally I avoid scummy areas/venues/people because people are shocked and invasive toward anyone even dressed properly, never mind in a lacy dress lmao. It's definitely location based, maybe try wearing the dresses on a day out somewhere quiet and peaceful, and work your way up to populated cities. Anyway no prob, there's lots of 'confidence in lolita' advice but not much 'Starting from [in my case] intense self hatred' advice

>> No.10015492

>>10007488
If you're going to be the one in charge of the hotel room, you get the money in full up front. It doesn't matter how well you know the person, how convincingly they tell you they'll pay you later, whatever, don't fucking do it. No one even gets to put their shit down in the room until you have the cash in hand.

You also set down the ground rules up front and no one gets to stay if they don't 100% agree to them with the understanding they get tossed out if they break them. Make it clear who gets bed space, and discuss shower times and quiet hours. Also, everyone has to keep their shit together, no spreading out across the whole room. Shouldn't need to be said, but point out that your energy drinks are not for the room, they are for you and only you unless you have given explicit permission.

If you've got Homestucks or anyone doing body paint in the group, make sure they know they have to keep the sink clean, no grey messes all over. If you've got underage folks, just go ahead and ban alcohol from the room totally, it save you headaches and worries down the road. If you've got a mix of genders, make sure people know ahead of time so you don't have any "I didn't know there were going to be GUYS in the room!" bullshit.

And last but not least, don't fucking stuff the room as full as possible. It doesn't matter that it makes it super cheap, it's just miserable when you've got so many people that someone's sleeping in the bathtub. Stick to 3-5 people for your standard two queen bed room.

And not my lesson, but I had a friend who learned the HARD way that if you are staying alone instead, do not tell anyone at the con you are doing that and don't mention what hotel you're staying at. Don't bring anyone back to the room unless it is an actual trusted friend.

>> No.10015496

>>10015471
i mean i guess, but i'm >>10015233 and i know what i cosplayed

>> No.10015735

>>10015375
That's a fantastic idea, I can't believe I didn't think of that before.

>> No.10015737

>>10015386
It was a legitimate question! <:( I'm trying to learn something here

>> No.10015785

>>10015492
Oh jeez, that last one. I'm sorry for your friend. I'll take this advice to heart, it isn't something I had considered before.

>> No.10016350

I just learnt a girl from my comm had a sleeve tattoo done and it was quite shocking to be honest.... I just saw a pic of her in sweet lolita with a short sleeved blouse and it was honestly horrible. I'm 100% positive she's not doing it for attention or to show off, and I honestly would have 0 issue going out with her, I think everyone should do what they want, but. It looks bad. It really looks bad and I'm sorry for her because I think she realised that too. So yeah I learnt I'll never had a sleeve tattoo done -non that I was thinking of having one done- and that I will think a lot before getting one, if I ever do.

>> No.10016395

If you're making a cosplay based off a character from scratch, make sure you download TONS of reference images, if you think you've got too many images? double that amount

>> No.10016402

>>10016395
relax, anon. you need like 2 fullbodies (one front one side or back) and a handful of closeups
on tricky details max

>> No.10017288

>>10015492
>but I had a friend who learned the HARD way that if you are staying alone instead, do not tell anyone at the con you are doing
Mind if I probe?