[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 547 KB, 559x559, donnieT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9670705 No.9670705 [Reply] [Original]

Biz, should employers take into account the taxes/living costs of a certain area when figuring out salaries for employees?

ie my boss tells me I should be happy with my pay, and that i'm getting $25-27 an hour depending on hitting goals for bonus. However, I live in one of the top 5 most expensive cities in the US, and of course one of the highest taxed cities in the us (Seattle), so really coming out to about $20/hr. Keep in mind minimum wage here is $15/hr. I'm an operations manager (was promoted after a short time) at a startup working a stressful as shit job always having to put out fires, constantly on the phone with clients probably 40-60 calls a day (thankfully no cold calls), my weekend is in the middle of the week, only 12 days PTO per year (w blackouts), and have to work on holidays, AND no benefits. the thing is i really love this company and believe in it, but i just feel like i'm getting totally fucked pay wise. what does biz think?

>implying any of you neets actually have jobs.

>> No.9670737

I think you’re a cuck

>> No.9670761

>>9670705

Indirectly, yes. An employer should take into account how much their employees can get elsewhere. High cost of living cities are high cost of living areas due to increased demand and competition for resources, including labor.

>> No.9670795

Yeah you’re getting screwed, op management should be netting $30-40 an hour, do you get paid overtime? Or extra when working on holidays? Do you know the company’s revenue and costs? They may not be able to afford to pay you more yet. Are you invaluable? Or can any monkey do your job with a few weeks training?

>> No.9670818

>>9670705
If you're at a startup, is the pay supposed to be higher?

>> No.9670838

>>9670705
>should employers
no
one day if you're lucky enough to be an employer, you'll understand why employees deserve nothing

>> No.9670861

They won't, because they know actual slavery is more expensive for them than wageslavery. Back then, the slave owner would have to pay for food, housing, healthcare, etc. Nowadays they just make you foot the bill for those things.

>> No.9670939

Oh and the Jews also use leftist cucks to force you to pay for that shit for everyone who is too stupid to produce it themselves. Shaquan and her 8 keeds gotta eat themselves into obesity, you gotta pay for their Doritos and cigarettes and the inevitable gastric bypass

>> No.9671464

>>9670705
>should employers take
Wages are based on demand.
There is a good reason why most University/college jobs are worthless than highschool grade trade jobs now a days.

Hint: Way less people go into trade jobs.

>> No.9671548

The only way for them to take it into account is via the market. You must get other job offers and see what market value your job has.

If it's higher than your current, tell your boss so you get more pay.
If it's lower, your boss was right.
If you refuse to try getting another job offer, you can't complain that you don't know if you're being fucked.

>> No.9671576

Employers create jobs, I'm positive you are replaceable. Once you create jobs, you will understand.

>> No.9671608

I hope they’re giving you equity

>> No.9671639

>i really love this company and believe in it
nice
thats rare, that has value. imagine how grinded your gears would be if you did all that work for some shit company you actually hated or didnt give a fuck about like most people. you would be depressed every day at work and nothing you do would feel of any value.

maybe its a new company without a lot of funds so they cant be paying everyone higher wages? or are they rich as fuck and they just dont care because they feel they can replace anyone who leaves for higher pay? cause thats not a good way to attract top talent. do they need top talent?

>> No.9671646

>>9670838
Get out, jew.

>> No.9671653

>>9670838
>employees deserve nothing
lol, glad im not working for you. why would anyone work for you? ill take my top talent elsewhere thanks. have fun hiring the bottom of the barrel retards willing to work for fuck all

>> No.9672346

>>9670795
no extra on holidays, dont know the revenue but i know we dont break even (yet) but are growing like crazy. I DO know exactly how much is in the operating account, and its more than enough to pay me more, we have about 20 employees total. I am pretty invaluable, definitely couldnt just get any rando college grade to replace me.

>>9671548
fair point. it just sucks cause as i said i love the company and believe in it, just wish i got paid more. definitely room to be promoted further, so gonna just put my head down and continue working

>>9671608
they are.

>>9671639
yup. my lost job paid a little more, but i hated the work and did not believe in the company at all. definitely makes a huge difference. they are extremely picky when it comes to engineers (rightfully so, we're a tech company) and pay them like crazy (rightfully so). but then act like operations do nothing for the company, despite we are what actually brings in money and makes the company function. they could definitely pay me and the other one or two people that are in a similar role to me 20% more without feeling the affect. as i said before, i have access to our operating checking account and know exactly how much money we have.

>> No.9672777

>>9670705
>>ie my boss tells me I should be happy with my pay,
Wait, from your question I assumed you were asking a general economics question or were an employer yourself, now you're just complaining because a self-interested actor doesn't consider your needs? Are you surprised?

Your boss's """"opinion""""" doesn't come into it, all that matters is:
>1. do YOU think your getting paid enough for the quality and magnitude of what you do?
>2. do you think you CAN get paid more elsewhere (or get paid the same for less stressful work)

In fact let me condense it into a single question:
>Are you being paid your market rate?

>> No.9673025
File: 318 KB, 1080x926, 1517760595547.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9672346
>I am pretty invaluable, definitely couldnt just get any rando college grade to replace me
If that's really the case you're on a pretty good spot to negotiate, i did it so myself in a situation much like yours and they had no choice except to go with my terms. However you must be dead serious about actually quitting if they don't accept your terms, i didn't care since i have pretty good money on crypto so i went into negotiations without giving two fucks about the outcome

>> No.9673277

>>9670939

Get rid of the nigs and jews and it would work though. That's the real problem.