[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 117 KB, 720x540, Do what you must pastry rodent.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
951134 No.951134 [Reply] [Original]

Fuck. Talk me off the ledge boys.

> started working in tile and grout 6 months ago
> hard fucking work for about $15/hr
> my boss is making a fucking killing off our cheap labor
> I'm tired of this shit
> form an LLC
> print up some flyers
> buy $500 worth of tile&grouting materials

within 24 hours of posting some ads online, I'm already bidding two jobs for a total of $3,000. It's about 3 - 4 days work.

I'm so nervous. IDK why. I have enough experience, but it's my first time on my own, and I'm scared of fucking up someones home.

>> No.951138

How do you fuck up tiling?

>> No.951139

>>951134
You can do it anon, it's just the fear of risk holding you back. Be confident in your skills. Nigger.

>> No.951146

>>951139
yeah just do it. and if you fail fuck it youve got a LLC.

>> No.951151

>>951139
/thread

>> No.951160
File: 87 KB, 659x933, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do it so you can own this.

>> No.951170

I didn't even know this board existed until I saw your picture on the front page and decided to click it.

OP, the only thing that will hold you back in your own solo business venture, regardless if it's construction, installations, customer service, or hell, even running a hobby shop, is your own fear. Sure, you may fail. But also keep in mind that you may succeed. Hell, you'll DEFINITELY fail if you don't take the risk and try to do it.

And hey, if you do end up failing, then you still have your experience to fall back on and get some more work until you pluck up the courage to try again. Its only uphill from here man.

>> No.951175

Remember, having the hands on skills is one thing, but when you're running your own business you need to go above and beyond with your customers.

I'm sure you already know this, but don't rock up to jobs late. Be bullshit super polite on the phone and when seeing the customer in person. Make them feel like you are really genuinely happy to be helpful to them. Anyone can lay fucking tiles, realistically...but people don't want to do it themselves. They're not just paying you for doing it for them, they're also (in their eyes) paying you to do it when you say you will and paying you not to be a dick to them. Leave the customer happy with not just the job itself but also happy with you as a tradie and the jobs will flow in mate.

>> No.951177

>>951138
This guy has never done trade work

>it's so easy guys only nocollege plebs do trades... whats a control line? Aaaand just fuck my tile up, pham

>> No.951181

>>951175 has a point, be super nice to everyone. I have customers that bug the shit out of me, but I deal with them just the same. Don't be overly kiss ass nice though, you'll burn out that way.

>> No.951186

>>951181
Also, just wondering what are your start up costs looking like, other than the 500 in materials?
>truck
>grout tools
>tile saw
>those tile spacer things

>> No.951190

>>951134

Hey OP... I fucked up my grout my spraying bleach on it and leaving it on for a long time. It's all cracked and chipping away now. How do i fix??

>> No.951198

Do some research whenever you're unsure, I find that always helps. My husband always read books to top up his knowledge. Do your research on materials I.e. Grout and adhesives.

>> No.951211

>>951177
I was asking seriously because I've never done tile work, anon. I've done carpentry and a little plumbing, but have always just laid down cheap linoleum for my bathrooms/kitchen.

>> No.951215
File: 53 KB, 852x461, tears_of_joy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thank you guys so much. This board can be really evil sometimes, so your encouragement really does mean a lot.

>> No.951225

>>951138

It's not that complicated, but sometimes you get into joint or seam situations that can be a judgement call, as to how to handle it. You need to know what to do in specific situations. ie stone, laminate, types of epoxy caulk, etc..

>>951170
thanks bro

>>951175
I was insanely nice on these last 2 bids. my hand was shaking as I wrote up the notes for their quote.

>>951186
its insanely cheap. thats why i got into it. Like $2k could get you absolutely every tool you need, and the best version of it to boot. I'm definitely all in on the "trade" bandwagon.

>>951190
use a grout remover tool (the triangular kind) to pull away all the loose and bad grout out of the situation. Don't take all the grout out, try to leave some good grout behind. Then go to Home Depot and get some grout patch. Fill it, and smooth it over using your finger. Take a damp cloth and wipe away any excess that got on the surrounding tile.

At this point you will likely have a mismatch from the grout color, and the grout patch color.

So use a color seal (I recommend Groutshield's stuff) and color seal the whole area to match the tone of the original grout.

If you did it right, it should look like nothing ever happened.

BTW joints should be siliconed, not grouted. a grouted joint will crack.

>>951198
been researching like crazy. feels so silly researching grouts and sealants...

>> No.951234

I started my own home service business 4 years ago OP.

Pulled in $135k this year, no employees.

>> No.951235

>>951225

Thanks anon

>> No.951272

>>951177
Seriously. You'd think drywalling isn't that hard, but after doing my own basement I'm impressed with the skill of the real guys

Hell, I have big boy 480v experience, but still am super cautious with doing everything 100% right with my electrical at home. There's just not really any room for mistakes.

Now, granted, you aren't going to burn down someones home because the tile was laid improperly, but you could find yourself in a world of hurt fixing things for free, if you aren't careful and do good work.

>> No.951293

>>951211
All tradework is easy to fuck up, anon. Most people just dont notice how bad theyre fucking shit up cause until its done. Once you see a master work his craft, youll think twice about not hiring someone to do your next project. I think the main reason people think "you cant fuck up tile" or "its just masonry" or whatnot is they have never seen really good work

>> No.951297

>>951134
Have a good, satisfying breakfast. Oatmeal first. Go to a diner if you have to. A good meal and start to the day will do wonders.

>> No.951299

>>951234
Home service, anon?

>> No.951305

Good luck anon. Don't mix ammonia cleaners and bleach

>> No.952268

>>951134
Don't worry bro. You've got this. Everyone's nervous their first time. but this isn't your first time.
Worst thing is you fuck it up and have to pay someone to fix your mistake, and learn a few things.