[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 58 KB, 1500x1374, mhjuh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
884694 No.884694 [Reply] [Original]

A Bachelor of Arts, while certainly not the most useful degree, is better than a degree in pure math or pure science. This is because liberal arts grads tend to have stronger people skills, while many STEMfaggots are awkward and autistic.

Obviously what I'm saying does not apply to engineering or medicine, because those are professional designations. But that has nothing to do with STEM, there are plenty of non-STEM professional programs which are also very marketable.

Basically, the STEM meme on 4chan is utter horseshit, it's a coping mechanism for autists who need to believe that introverts still have a shot at being successful.

I'm not biased here, I didn't do STEM or arts, I have a business degree and a good job.

>> No.884727
File: 5 KB, 200x200, lowqual.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>884694

>> No.884809

>>884727
It's actually an important discussion. Liberal arts get shit on a lot, and with good reason in some cases, but that doesn't necessarily mean that STEM is some sort of golden ticket.

>> No.884817

Agreed op

Studies have shown that children of richer people do liberal arts because they have a buffer to protect themselves

Also studies have shown that liberal arts majors are usually the ones that become "filthy rich" because of their people skills

Stem looks good if you want to be a worker or an employee but if you want to lead employees you need to have people skills, which is why leaders make the big bucks.

But this isn't always true and its just how I see it.

>> No.884822

>>884809

Liberal arts students have more diverse job opportunities than they think. That is utterly true. STEM though can expect and are expected to get into "prestigious" jobs often labelled engineering.

STEM aren't for most autists like you infered, though some 4chan supposedly STEM peeps do appear autistic.

Liberal Arts can into Finance, you just need to be relevant and interesting.

The problem is that there isn't 1 kind of liberal arts. Compare an English Major with a minor in psychology with a Theology major with a minor in Creative Writing if both wanted to opt-in a graduate program at GS.

>> No.884844

>>884694

with a liberal arts degree you can't even start a company in most countries unless you're weaving your own baskets or something.

>> No.884848

>>884809
>female studies is more important that computer networking
no
>its actually an important conversation
no

ignore and hide

>> No.884850

The skilled trades have also been misrepresented. Kids are being told that there is a skilled trade shortage and that you can walk into a great job after spending one year at a trade school, what fucking horseshit It's true that there is a shortage of skilled workers, but a one year trade program does NOT make you skilled. No one wants to hire an apprentice tradesman, where I live the government needs to subsidize their salaries in order for a business owner to even consider hiring a guy right out of trade school. And if you are lucky enough to get a job as an apprentice you absolutely have to stick with it until your apprenticeship is complete, and that means 4 or 5 years of making shitty pay for the shittiest kind of work that no one else on your crew wants to do. You are considered unskilled labor and the only reason you are there is because the government is paying half your wage.

>> No.884854
File: 42 KB, 500x501, 1441123414065.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>884694

>> No.884856

>>884809
>that doesn't necessarily mean that STEM is some sort of golden ticket.

but it is.

you see, STEM in the US, and MINT in the EU, are a selection of fields that are actively in demand, in which there is an undersupply of graduates. as such, grads in these fields can expect higher pay and better treatment because they are not as expendable/replaceable.

the STEM and MINT lists are actively maintained, and once one field is filled to meet the demand of the industry, it's removed, while others may be added as technology emerges.

It's a golden ticket. Hidden inside a wrapper that says "GOLDEN TICKET" on it. but you need to have an IQ > 90 to open that wrapper. you also need to be able to read, so you can read these bold two words on it.

Those that can't go into liberal arts.

>> No.884857

>>884850

This is something you are in fact actually correct about. My family business is electricity/HVAC/Plumbing.

We get calls every week from people who have just finished their community college

Do you have your own truck/van? No
Do you have your own set of tools (They are required to have their own basics, but we supply the major equipment)? No
Can you be on a job by yourself? No

Most of these trade programs really fuck people over because they have nothing but classroom experience.

We simply can't afford to allocate time and money into training someone brand new and then giving them the basic things they need to do a job, and then still have to have someone babysit them on a job.

These people also get royally butthurt when they realize that they're not gonna make very much starting out, because they're not worth much at that point, and they're gonna have to get dirty.

>Bu..but the internet told me trades pay great money
They do, but you can't have change out a breaker on your own, despite all the classroom experience.

>> No.884879

>>884857
fuck. I just dropped out of my CC program to pursue a career as an electrician and this is the wall I have already projected I will hit. Its fucked seeing it from someone on the other side of the fence though.

got any advice?

>> No.884891

UK fag here

I'm coming out of a top uni and I agree with op. The mathematicians, engineers and compscis I know are generally earning considerably less than the lawyers and economists. And if you have an arts subject you can just convert to law in a year or go in to consulting, or even a bank with little difficulty (assuming you don't want to do an actual ba related field like media or creative arts). It just means one more year of study.

I think this argument just doesn't apply if you're actually in a top 1-3 uni. If you aren't just carry in shitposting KEK

>> No.884905

>this program is more superior because the people which take the program are superior
Liberal arts logic

>> No.884917

>>884844
What? You don't even need a high school education to start a company, ANYWHERE.

The issue that a lot of people seem to have is that they think that by majoring in one field you will become rich, and if you major in another, you will be poor. That depends on a lot more than your major. There are billionaires with no formal education, there are engineers with a PhD that are living on the streets.

>>884857
>We get calls every week from people who have just finished their community college

>Can you be on a job by yourself? No

Then you're breaking the law. Someone who just graduated CC will be an apprentice and cannot be on the job site unsupervised.

>> No.884925

This tbh.

Psychology and other social sciences are some of the highest paid majors, and it's no surprise because of the social skills gained.

If you want to always stay an autistic engineering NEET then stay in STEM, pussies

>> No.884945

>>884917
>What? You don't even need a high school education to start a company, ANYWHERE.

go ahead and start a high tech company

you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

jesus christ this board

>> No.884947

>>884694
>implying i don't have a BA in Math

>> No.884968

>>884945

You literally don't need any education to start a business, because starting a business is literally registering the business with the government and it takes like 10 forms and you're fucking set

That's all it fucking is.

Making money is part of business, but losing money is too, and making no money is part of it as well, so that part isn't essential in a "business"

The most simple business is basically something you go and register and you're done

So he's not stupid in saying that, you don't need a high school education because HIGH SCHOOL TEACHES YOU NOTHING ABOUT STARTING A BUSINESS, SO WHY DO YOU NEED IT? YOU DON'T.

>> No.884993

>>884857

>They do, but you can't have change out a breaker on your own, despite all the classroom experience.

What.
Even a brain damaged moron would be able to change a goddamn breaker without screwing it up.

It's literally FOUR wires.

>> No.884994

>>884968
No shit you don't need an education to register with the government, but what if the new businessman needed a loan to get himself off the ground? It may not necessarily be the deciding factor but I am sure that any lender would be interested in the borrower's educational background.

>> No.885047

>>884917

You are either underage or fucking retarded, but most likely both.

Most states have completely gotten rid of the apprentice/journeyman/master and have replaced it with a general license for each profession. There is no such thing as an apprentice in my state and the only way to get the license is to just have 200 hours working for or shadowing someone who does.

>>884879

Call everyone fucking one and just get the experience you need to get your license.

The sooner you go into business for yourself, the better.

>>884993

90% of the people who try to get these jobs can't even pass a simple drug and background check.

One of our requirements is that you have a drivers license, and that question immediately takes out a huge chunk of people.

Beyond that, you have average NEET who thinks he's super intelligent because he spends his whole day online and /biz/ told him to do a trade, and then he finds out that all that shit he read about people who play video games have better hand eye coordination is bullshit and he can't do simple tasks.

>> No.885049

>>884968
10 forms your state a shit 2 form state up in this.

>> No.885071

Sounds like someone is insecure about their state college business degree.

>> No.885093

I recently graduated university with a degree in English *gasp*

Looking for work was hard, but after two solid months of nothing but interviews (about 2-3 in person interviews/week) I managed to find a tech sales job that pays pretty decently.

If I could do it all over again though, I would have studied business, but its not all bad for liberal arts students out there. At least I got to get drunk and smoke pot most days and still end up with a B average, whereas I could have never done that being a STEM major.

>> No.885130
File: 988 KB, 245x184, hn9Kbq1ru67qro1_250.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a degree in physics and astrophysics from a Russell Group uni and OP is kinda right but also kinda wrong. Yes, there are people in these sort of subjects who you might be forgiven for thinking need watered like plants but if you happen to be relatively "normal" in your social skills, then you basically have it made, depending on which career you choose to go into; HR types are looking for actual skillsets they can use - analytical ability, problem solving, all that sort of shit - and it's an easier sell with a hard science or highly-technical degree. Even the postgraduate options typically available to liberal arts grads - law training courses etc. - are still open to you with a STEM degree if you feel inclined. Having a degree is basically a box you have to tick these days; a STEM degree just allows you to bring a reputation for definitely not being an idiot and a host of "bonus skills" along with your transcript.

The only exception to this are the CS people; every CS guy I've met has been one of those arrogant aspie types.

>> No.885222

>>884694
>while many STEMfaggots are awkward and autistic

Chemfag reporting in and I validate this claim

>> No.886472

Anyone do City Year Americorps or Peacecorps?
I was thinking of doing one of those programs for a year while I apply to OCS
How hard is it to get in? Anyone recommend it?

>> No.886578

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors
I do wish people would stop saying STEM though when they really just mean engineering.

>> No.886590

>>885093
>psych major
>but pre-med
>everyone thinks i have easy college life cause I'm a psych major
>don't realize the impact of my medschool pre-reqs
)': I wish I could be as lazy and carefree as the other psych kids