[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 11 KB, 250x241, 00000 mfw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
869563 No.869563 [Reply] [Original]

Self employed feels thread.

> Wake up.

> Fire up Skype.

> Client messages me, "hey mate, got a small favor to ask."

> 20 minute chat.

> Turns out small favor = major project.

> $1000 suddenly appears in paypal account, not 25 minutes after this conversation started.

Anyway, how's your day, /biz/?

>> No.869567

>>869563
>major project
>$1,000

Have fun playing house, anon

>> No.869570

What's your margin on the $1000?

>> No.869576

>>869567
Hey, you don't know the context of this. This may just be the front for expenses to get OP rolling for the next couple of days on the project. This may be a retainer that will immediately be restocked when OP runs out. There may be 1000 dollar cash injections 2-3 times per month from this client every time he needs a "favor".

Stop being a dick and shitting on somebody who has actually had entrepreneurial success, you jobless NEET.

>> No.869581

>>869576
>jobless NEET
Far from either, friendo.

OP is more than likely a NEET living out a fantasy like most of /biz/.

>> No.869592

Self employed feels

>woken up by phone ringing at 9:30

>answer it book job in

>go back to sleep

>woken up by phonecall 10:10am

>"why isn't he here yet? Supposed to be 10am"

>ring guy, "we're just pulling up now"

>text customer "they're just pulling up outside now"

>go back to sleep.

>> No.869600

>wake up
>check phone
>no messages
>fire up laptop
>is my saffron here yet?
>no
>my truffles?
>no
>did the whiskey, baby formula, or laptops make it to hong kong yet?
>no
>Did the clothes make it to seoul yet?
>no
>are the laptops to guatemala city yet?
>tonight or tomorrow
>time to dick around on 4chan after my morning walk until lunch time

Such is life in import/export.

>> No.869615

>>869576

Nah, it's a whole project. But on a board full of NEETs I am absolutely a god.

>> No.869621

>>869615
What's your business field if you don't mind me asking?

>> No.869624

>>869563
Freelancer here

>Wake up
>Go to current job
>Check email in break
>hey anon we have another job for you
>repeat as long as you want

All cool here

>> No.869626

Relaying the experience of a friend of mine who makes website. Mostly

>every single day
>no matter the month
>get calls, emails, skype, requests of a meeting
>retarded clients who can barely operate a PC
>Italy so he has to pay at least half of what he makes, plus he got told that he had to pay a 15% of what he would make in the next year
>apparently he also has to pay some kind of export tax because he is making a website for a guy in Australia
Also he wakes up at 6 waste like, 3 or 4? Hours just getting to the office (but he works as a private without a salary) and coming back.
Works practically every day, often when he visits me he has to answer work calls and send or check stuff with his phone.

Is like half of his job is dealing with people, mostly idiots.
Did he choose the wrong job?

>> No.869630

>>869624
Haha quite similar
>be freelance consultant
>contract is about to end.. mention it
>congrats 3 months extension
>???
>profit

>> No.869645

>>869624
>>869630
What kind of freelance work are you guys doing?

>> No.869649
File: 1.19 MB, 1920x2560, CAM00094.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>8:30 arrive at shop
>10:00 still sipping coffee watching Ron Paul on youtube
11:15>Done with today's work. Text customer progress report. Guess ill start tomorrow's work.
11:30>Touch base with my biz niggas

>> No.869653

>>869645
it's just IT but my area is a bit of a niche so there's not so much competition as general programming etc

>> No.869654

>10am today
>final inspection passed
> $42,000 final payment check being over nighted to me today
> expenses covered from down payment
>all profit

How was your day biz?

>> No.869656

>>869626
This is actually normal if you have to deal with people when making websites

>> No.869663

>>869626
>like half of his job is dealing with people, mostly idiots.

All self employment, seemingly.

>> No.869672

>>869663

My wife is self-employed. I confirm this.

>> No.869700

>Wake up
>Eat
>Hit some blow
>Check what's happening on the market
>Start trading
>feeling confident
>Hit some more lines
>that shit's easy
>5% returns till now
>confidence starts to wear of
>comedown incoming
>let's make a last move so I can close at a record
>markets reverse
>margin call on my positions
>lose 4.6% of the investment
>day closes at 0.4% P/L
>wish I had got a degree
>wish I had gotten a job before 21

>> No.869703

>>869621
Sucking cocks

>> No.869710

Thou shall not covet. Thou shall not covet. Thou shall not covet. Thou shall not covet. Thou shall not covet. Thou shall not covet. Thou shall not covet. Thou shall not covet. Thou shall not covet.

And to the OP:
Thou shall not boast. It can be taken away from you tomorrow. Thank God for his mercy.

>> No.869711

Employed wage slave here. This is my day:
>wake up 530 am
>at office 730 am
>check news websites
>check reddit bodyweight fitness
>start researching how to technical analysis
>4chan for hours
>walk to subway
>eat lunch at desk
>back to 4chan

It'll be a mix of research, 4chan, and news until I leave at 4pm. During this time I'll have been paid 180 dollars and done absolutely zero work.

>> No.869722

This was yesterday

>Got up at 9 am
>Mediated, stretched and had my coffee.
>move into my home office, only wearing boxers and a uni t shirt
>Spent 3 hours looking through properties for sale both online and in the papers, marking some of them down, contacting the sellers and setting up viewings for 8 of them throughout the week (2 of them got scheduled for today)
>lunch
>work out and shop some groceries for a few hours
>Play vidya for a bit
>meet up with seller #1 at 5pm
>meet up with seller #2 at 6pm
>get home about 7 pm
>eat dinner
>get all comfy, play vidya and shitpost on 4chan
>go to sleep around midnight

After tax, management company fees and all the other bullshit I currently take home $18k / month

shits goo bruh

>> No.869724
File: 136 KB, 640x1136, 1439090272748.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>869581
!Wageslave Alert!
Please everyone stand back as the lack of vision is contagious!
The bitter regret is showing in the text if you look close enough.
This has been a Public Service Announcement

>> No.869732

>>869722
yeah that's it, i'm not coming back to this board again. it's bad for my mental wellbeing.
why do people hate eachother so much they have to brag their easy lives and make other people feel bad?
i'm out.

>> No.869737

>>869732
lol didn't mean to push you over the edge bro just chill

>> No.869739

A lying tongue is an abomination to The Lord.

>> No.869740

>wake up
>check orders
>no new orders
>guess it's another vacation day

fucking e-commerce

>> No.869744
File: 39 KB, 359x473, 1435425653162.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>869732
Fuck off lahey

>> No.869750
File: 3.35 MB, 2952x5248, IMG_20150826_130416218.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>869724
I work for an employer.

I work 40 hours a week.

This is the most recent pay statement for one of those weeks.

I'm just not autistic enough to think that you're either a fry cook or a CEO.

Contrary to this board, you can actually hold a job and continue to aspire towards more.

>> No.869769

>>869654
>overnighting a check
>not wire transfer

Its seriosuly probably cheaper and less time to wire it

>> No.869774
File: 43 KB, 496x500, 1439670774949.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>869750
Says the wageslave.
I make that shit in any given weekend then do shit all the rest of the week
Plus that shit says contract dates at the top so I doubt you make that every week

>> No.869786

>>869769
Not my call. I mostly do ACH transactions with my clients, but this particular one doesn't offer it.

>> No.869793

>>869750
So $350,000 a year? What are taxes like and what do you do?

>> No.869802

>>869722
Tell me more about what you do. Just real estate or broker or like what else? Unlike that pussy who freaked out at your well being i wanna know more about it.

>> No.869823

>>869802
I privately own properties and I rent them out. I started out as an educated engineer. Bought a house in cash at 28, only used one room, rented out the other 4. Continued working my job + receiving rent, bought another house collective in cash that I rent out to students. That one has 7 bedrooms. I've kept on buying properties close to the local uni that I rent out and here I am. I generally stay away from houses and city apartments as they are extremely expensive. Also I'm not really that invested in the stock market except a few long term index funds. Maybe in a decade or two when I've amassed more wealth. Obviously I'm talking out of my ass and like everyone else on /biz/ who earn passive income I'm in reality a daydreaming student poorfag.

>> No.869828

>>869654
Home remodeling?

>> No.869830

>>869823
>Obviously I'm talking out of my ass and like everyone else on /biz/ who earn passive income I'm in reality a daydreaming student poorfag.
Don't tease me like that

>> No.869832

Professional sports bettor/trader here

>wake up whenever
>sit on sofa with laptop
>smack some obscure bets
>check my portolio
>shitpost on 4chan
>watch football

Some days up 4 figures other days down 4. On course for £80k profit this year so its all good.

>> No.869839

>>869832
if you aren't lying about this, how the hell do you get a reliable edge over the bookmakers?

>> No.869841

>>869774
>Plus that shit says contract dates at the top so I doubt you make that every week
It's also preceded with pay period. You're right that I don't make that much weekly. It averages out to $20,000 a month. In the two scenarios you're proposing, I'm either a 1099 that can make $6,000 a week if I choose, or an employee that makes around that much. Like I said, I can do this while continuing to work on outside ventures. I currently have an LLC that is trying to get a patent for a piece of communicative technology I made. I also bought $10,000 with of TVIX on Friday then sold it at open on Tuesday.

Successful people are successful regardless of whether or not we're working for an employer or forming our own company.

>>869793
Closer to $250,000 all things considered. That week is slightly above the norm. Taxes are an absolute bitch. I work in sales.

>> No.869850

>>869839
I'm from the UK where we have access to literally hundreds of 'soft' bookmakers. Some leagues the games are simply priced off the league table but teams change their squads all the time.

Take the Czech u21 league - teams come out 10 mins before the game starts. Sometimes those teams have the usual squad, other times they have youth/trialists, other times they play first teamers to get them match fit for example. So often you have kids vs adults, priced off the league table which is obviously pointless. There's hundreds of examples of this among youth teams, lower division, women, international tournaments, etc.

>> No.869861

>>869830
yeah sorry buddy

>> No.869872

>>869850
I'm from the UK too. 1) Is it difficult to research this all be yourself? 2) How do you deal with bookies cutting you off their websites?

>> No.869876

>>869576
Hey, you don't know the context of this. This guy may be an entrepreneurial success, he may be rich, he may be better than you.

Stop being a dick and shitting on somebody who you don't know who might have more success than you, you mindless NEET.

>> No.869883

I think it's hilarious that all these fags on /biz/ keep whoring themselves to what employers want (i.e. internships, resumes, perfect GPA, school elitism) even though the self employed get the most money for their work by far.

>> No.869884
File: 18 KB, 870x171, advice for newfags.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>869872
1. You need a mentor. It could be joining facebook groups, knowing someone who is into it, or even browsing /bet/ on /sp/ or somewhere like /r/soccerbetting/blogabet. Stick to rules in pic attached. Yes at first its very hard, the main trick is to avoid shit bets, there's 'tips' and 'info' everywhere but most of the time the value has gone and the edge is priced in. Once you know you can profit long term, you know where to get info, and how to bet correctly you can make good money.

2. The worst problem is getting limited yeah. I bet on betfair and use a broker to avoid being limited but they don't trade the games you want (u17 womens concacaf for example) and usually the more shrewd punters are on there too so prices are more accurate. Use every website, skin, mirror possible. I also open up accounts under friends names but it gets to a point where you run out of friends. I start work full time soon, not sure I could do this forever.

>> No.869887

>>869592
This is why everyone on /biz/ should be a contractor. You just made $5,000.

>> No.869888

>>869750
Am I seeing this right? is that $7,000 in one week? as in $336,000 a year? While working a 40 hour a week job?

>> No.869891

>>869750
That's either a VWR or WVR

>> No.869893

>>869884
thanks for the reply. seems not bad as a means of generating side income. I do occasionally bet on MMA but find it difficult to gain a consistent edge there.

>> No.869933

>>869888
See above. Slightly above average week. I gross around $250,000 with a 40 hour a week job.

>> No.869935

>>869933
Wageslave here. I make maybe half what you make in a week, in a month's worth of work. I am a man of simple ambitions, and 250k a year sounds like.. Well sounds like something I could die happy making.

May I ask what it is you do to make 7 grand a week?
And just out of curiosity, if you make this much from your side job/self employment, what do you do for your day job 40 hours a week? Why?

>> No.869999

>>869935
>May I ask what it is you do to make 7 grand a week?
I sell things nobody needs to people that don't want to buy them.

>And just out of curiosity, if you make this much from your side job/self employment, what do you do for your day job 40 hours a week? Why?
This is my 40 hour a week job. The side ones are passions. It's not about money for me. It's about constantly being better than I was yesterday. Most people I've met that are successful share that sentiment.

The money is nice, though.

>> No.870004

>>869999
Check'd.

Coffin salesman eh.
Not an industry I would expect a 250,000 salary from. At any rate, My 40 hour happens to be some form of my passion I suppose - Just does not provide enough money to be comfortable on. Or get by on for that matter.

Thanks for the insight mate.

>> No.870012

>>870004
>Coffin salesman eh
No, but interestingly enough, there's pretty good money in selling grave plots to people. Or funeral services.

>> No.870018

>>870012
> I currently have an LLC that is trying to get a patent for a piece of communicative technology I made

I may not make the money you do, but I have tried my hand at patents. I imagine free advice is not turned down even if given by a run of the mill wage slave.

Paying for a full patent with the lawyers and all the paperwork involved will run you around $20,000-$30,000. File for a provisional patent (~$100-$200), then you have a year to market it and sell it to your target consumer and/or manufacturer. If it goes well you can have them pay the patenting costs if selling to a manufacturer, or have the revenue from it to cover the patent costs from the sales from consumers.
If it goes horribly wrong, you're only out what is essentially pocket change to you. A provisional patent grants you the same protection as a full patent with a year to turn it into a full patent and market it.

>> No.870023

>>870018
Well aware, but thank you nonetheless.

Yeah, when I first started looking into it, that was basically a punch in the face. Then I found out why you see patent pending on so much crap.

>> No.870025 [DELETED] 

>wake up at 9 tired as fuck
>curse my existence and put on my blue best buy polo
>talk to retards all day
>sell them shit
>last customer is 450 lb hamplanet trying to negotiate the price of some shitty laptop claiming someone told her a lower price last week
>try to explain to her that these models rotate every week and that this one must be a different model
>her stupidity/judaism/stubbornness cant be stopped
>simply tell her the price is the price
>she waddles away
>punch out and leave

one more fucking week left here, then a month long vacation, then I start my new job which is getting paid to study for the series 7. cant fucking wait.

>> No.870028

>>870023
Well if you don't sell coffins, that age old riddle was useless.

Still curious. Since you pointed out you bought stock with some of your revenue, I don't imagine your main income is stocks, and I don't imagine you'll give out exactly what it is you do.

Would you give out how you got started?

>> No.870037

>>870028
>that age old riddle was useless.
Didn't know it was a riddle.

>Since you pointed out you bought stock with some of your revenue, I don't imagine your main income is stocks, and I don't imagine you'll give out exactly what it is you do.
You're right

>Would you give out how you got started?
I was going to get a real estate license and found out about a tangentially related market. It was just a sales gig I was going to do for a little bit. Turns out I can sell pretty well.

Any 100% commission job will have the ability to give you a pretty nice living if you excel.

>> No.870041

>>870037
>Didn't know that was a riddle
The person who makes it doesn't need it
The person who buys it doesn't want it
And the person who uses it doesn't know it.

>100% commision
By odin's mighty tits thats a shit ton of money.
Can't think of anything that would be in any way related to real estate that would only contract for 7,000 however,
>I sell things nobody needs to people that don't want to buy them.
Not anything nobody needs or wants to buy anyway.

>> No.870062

>>870041
I mean your comp plan is 100% commission. I make anywhere between 3 and 15% on a deal.

>> No.870068

>>870037
You seem suprised you sell welll It is funny because I have thought about going into real estate. Atm, I'm a 21 year old failure; I'm trying various things but it doesn't seem like I'm going anywhere.

>> No.870082

>>870062
I have no where near enough experience in real estate to have any idea what it is you do. Guessing game isn't going to help me much.
I have no real interest in real estate anyhow. I am fairly confident nobody does, but the paycheck seems nice.

I make a "living" being a mechanic. Only making 30k a year though. Being 18, it's not HORRIBLE money, but I aspire for more. At the very least I can say I enjoy my job. But being a wage slave is not what I want to be for more than absolutely needed. Of course, this comes out of every young adult's mouth ever. "Im gunna be a millionaire I swer"

That's why I lurk /biz/ anyway. Picking up bits and pieces of information and eventually opening up a business of my own once I figure out
>What to sell to people in my current industry
>why they would buy from me opposed to competition
>how to make a decent profit out of it

>> No.870113
File: 194 KB, 1080x1080, 1440437378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Starting a security (guards) company
>wakeup
>fill out forms for licensing.
>msg partner to meet to fill out what he needs to fill out
>research
>partner doesnt reply for days
>SORRY BRO I WAS WORKING
>it always takes him days to reply
>I've been doing all the work. I sign it up as a sole proprietorship. Tell him he says "its cool bro"
> i have 0 use for him besides his $. Says he will split the cost of lisencing
>besides that he has contributed nothing
>will have him on as the "COO" chief operating officer and "co-founder "but that is all verbatim. Everything else on paper has only my name he will simply be an employee
>once i have this up and running smoothly i will let him go

Am i a dick for this?
All he does is work his security job and go out with his friends. Sure he spafked the idea to start a company but ive done all the work and all the tesearch. He is not dependable and takes an unacceptable amount of time to respond to me.
How do you deal with a "partner" who is so used to working for others he cannot do shit for himself?sorry this is offtrack but i simply have no clue what to do

Pic related he is muslim and i find many muslims i deal with are terribly lazy/bossy and talk alot but never do the things they say

>> No.870118

>>870113
>become boss
>assign tasks
>doesn't complete tasks, warn or fire him
Doesn't matter much what he has done unless it can get complicated legally

>> No.870123

>>870118
He can't argue he is a co-founder or partner as long as its not in writing right?i just want to be sure i covered my ass in that aspect

>> No.870138

>>870123
No idea

>> No.870151

so he wants you to turn that 1000 into 10000 right? you better start sucking those dicks

>> No.870173

Life as parasitic loser:

>Wake up whenever after long night of staying up wasting time
>Still feel tired
>Lie in bed for 20mins - 2 hours
>Eventually get up, brush teeth, use mouthwash and cleanse face with memepil cleanser
>Put on old clothes ive worn for days
>Eat le food
>Go back to room and sit on memechan all day, something apply or do some programming
>repeat

>> No.870269

It's funny, I read this line

> small favor turns into major project

and I immediately thought

"Damn, that's super shitty. I would have been pissed. Now OP has to DO something. Fuck."

That's what being salaried does to you. You literally don't give a sweet goddamn about anything after awhile. I can't wait to fucking retire, boys.

>> No.870286

>>870269
cuck

>> No.870308

>>869999
>The side ones are passions. It's not about money for me. It's about constantly being better than I was yesterday. Most people I've met that are successful share that sentiment.
Yeah, who would've thunk - People who have money, don't worry about money. Truly a revelation.

>> No.870467

>>870286
Say better, slave. But not for long, meng.

>> No.870479
File: 6 KB, 219x231, download.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Anyone that has worked in IT and moved into software dev?

I've been doing IT (sysadmin/field tech) work for the past 8 years and I fucking fucking fucking fucking hate it. Every second of every day is painful. I'd rather be cleaning fucking toilets but it doesn't pay the bills.

I've told myself going software engineer route will be much different. That I'll get to use my creative side, won't be doing mundane monkey retard tasks all day putting out fires while morons flip their shit. I won't have to stare at installation or update screens while I imagine hanging myself from the ceiling. I won't have to nicely explain to someone who is mentally retarded how to open a file.

Should I just be getting a business degree and looking into finance / sales instead of playing off my computer skills?

>> No.870482

>>870173
anyone know this feel?

Makes me feel like shit some days, but most days I'm used to it.

>> No.870485

>>870479
>tfw ur desired job is someone else's most hated job

Fuck man am i doing the wrong thing by becoming le programmer man? Should I just freelance and/or hang myself?

>> No.870537

>>870485
Been a software dev for 20 years. You're not necessarily doing the wrong thing by getting into it, but you need to understand how to manage it. Your career lifespan will be very short, so have a very specific and actionable plan to be completely out in 15 years or so. Think of a pro athlete and how retarded you think those guys are that go broke after making 5M per year. Think of what they did wrong and how you can avoid making the same mistake.

>> No.870574

>>870537
Why would it die in 15 years? Surely everything that uses software will die and developers will no longer be needed...

Also I'm going to community college, how can I make the best of it since I obviously won't be as able to compete against university graduates from actual schools?

>> No.870589

>>870479
>>870574
Do a degree in CS or CE if you really want to get into software engineering. If you work hard and get good grades both degrees will pay for themselves.

>> No.870605

>>870589
But I'm too retard so I'm going to a memeinity memeage

>> No.870609
File: 1008 KB, 320x240, 1436381934517.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>869841
Holy shit your still going.
Where do I even start
>1099
Good job using Google bub
>$20,000 a month
I'm sure
>communication technology
That's called an app sir
>bought TVIX
Just, why?
If your in sales I'm assuming that the paystub you graced us with was commision. Which means you did good on one sale and sucked ass on the rest if you can make 3k commision on one sale and your only holding down 600 on the rest. Give your job to someone who is actually gonna try and let them make 2x what you are. Then you have more time for your LLC and awesome messaging app

>> No.870617

>>870574
The same thing that's happening to lawyers right now. Everyone's parents, the media, and general society says that's where the money is. As a result, it gets saturated as fuck.

>> No.870622

>>870574
No, I'm sure the career will still be there. But you won't want to do it. Between the long hours, tight deadlines, keeping up with the latest tech, and general bullshittery, you'll burn out quickly and need to either become a dinosaur or walk away.

Making the best of it means preparing financially for either retirement or a new career. So save and invest aggressively from your first paycheck to your last. Then, when you finally say "fuck this!", you can walk away into the sunset without stress, knowing that your financial needs are taken care of.

>> No.870624 [DELETED] 
File: 1.97 MB, 450x371, What Are You Lookin' At!.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>869563
>Wake up
>Read
>Eat cereal and get ready for work
>Go to work
>Call people for six hours, market surveys
>Read most of the time, because I have nothing better to do while the phone is ringing
>Go home
>Eat sandwich
>Fire up the computer and check shit
>See this thread on 4chan
>Make post

>tfw literal wage slave and still GM'ing a Shadowrun campaign

>> No.870626

>>870609
There's no need to be upset.

>> No.870628

>>870622
pls reply to this part tho
>Also I'm going to community college, how can I make the best of it since I obviously won't be as able to compete against university graduates from actual schools?

>> No.870629

>>869592
Kek'd so true

>> No.870651

>>870628
That part is simple - you simply outperform them. It's not as intimidating as it sounds. I interview a lot of developers each month and I find people even with 10+ experience that are average *at best* at development. I am literally embarrassed for them.

Here's the secret. Comp Sci guys can maybe recite a quicksort or other more academic stuff, but what employers want is PRACTICAL SKILLS more than academic stuff. If you can come in and put together some real, workable code in a popular language, you're golden.

So here's my advice: code. Do project after project, always trying to improve on what you've done before. Incorporate new technology in existing projects. Learn as much about the full stack as you can. It's what I did, what I lived, for many years while I still had the energy. Do this, develop your craft, get GOOD and no-one will give one sweet fuck where your degree is from or indeed if you even have a degree. I worked FOR a guy who dropped out of high school - he was a MUCH better developer than I was.

If, after all that, you still have the stomach for development, then you are meant for the job. But again, always go into it with an escape plan. You. Will. Not. Last. Forever. No-one does.

Hope that helps.

>> No.870673

>>870651
Thanks anon.

I always hear the "projects" advice, but how and what do I make? I've been learning C++ but there is so much shit to know just regarding the Language features and standard library that it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Not to mention the standard library can't really produce meaningful things on its own. Now I need to learn winsocks, winapi, boost and qt memes, etc. How on earth do I do it all and what kind of thing do I create? Everything simple(putting it on github would be pointless) has already been done, only super complexity projects are left it seems.

>> No.870693

>>870673
That's usually not the tough part and it's ok if something has already been done, do it again your way. And, yes, languages can be intimidating, especially more complex and older ones like C++. Take the time and master it anyway. Here's some ideas:

Maybe do a webspider / page crawler? It exercises a wide variety of knowledge, including HTTP, HTML tag parsing, some GUI components, it can even use a DB connection to keep track of which URLs have been crawled and when. That can get very sophisticated. (Despite relational DBs being super old, knowing about them is still very marketable)

Or, maybe a scheduling tool, like a crontab clone, where it can run jobs for you based on a GUI input.

Or, learn something in the mobile space like ObjectiveC and do an app that does schedules, or a multi-user chat client, or a shared whiteboard app, etc.

Or, start into 3D modeling and write a simple first-person 3D engine - from what I've been told, C++ excels at high-performance things like that. You can even integrate it into the Oculos Rift.

You could do something financial, reading some stock market data and making predictions about which stocks to buy and sell. Make a program that plays poker. There's lots to do.

But, it's tough for other people to tell you which project will really grab your attention. You need to really decide. And, don't worry if it's been done before or it's dorky/throwaway/shitty, the point is to learn and to push yourself out into areas that you don't yet know.

>> No.870740

>>870693
I get that but I feel like even learning a whole bunch I've barely scratched the surface and still have no idea how to make something that is useful to anybody else.

I suppose I could just start a project and work on it as I can without any deadline or anything

>> No.870754

>>870740
Yep, just keep pushing. Think of it this way; once you CAN make something that's useful to someone, you can also CHARGE for that. :)

>> No.870788

>>869563
Yeah OP, carding and blackhat is all fun and games until you get a knocking in your door at 6 AM.