[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 64 KB, 600x350, vanguard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
849915 No.849915 [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk real money making here, none of that short term, small amount, flip X for 100X mickey mouse bullshit.

I know most of you in the know use Vanguard, and I have singed up for it but had my money rot in the money market for the past 3 months.

If you had $25,000.00 to stick into any vanguard mutual fund or etf, what do you choose?

>> No.849931

just stick it in a retirement date fund and forget about it until then

>> No.849932

If I had to choose one it would be VTSAX, but why not break it up into domestic, international, and bonds?

>> No.849934

>>849931
This

This is the answer to every stupid what do i do with x question

>> No.849944

>>849915
>Let's talk real money making here
Bitcoin

/thread

>> No.850274

International Shares excluding [Your Country]

>> No.850406

>>849915
Bet it all on Red! [China]

>> No.850438

>>849931
>>849934
No, it fucking isn't, because the S&P500 is going to kick the shit out of those bullshit retirement funds every single time no matter what.

OP, here's what you do
>open Vanguard account
>transfer money in
>put it all in the S&P500 ETF, VOO
>make regular contributions

That's it. No commission fees, essentially no management fees (0.1% or whatever), no shit.

Bet it all on VOO.

>> No.850440
File: 133 KB, 901x635, rats-on-cats-on-dogs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>849915
What is your fucking time frame, OP??

>> No.850477

>>849915
VTSAX or VFIAX. Once you get up to $100,000 in either, I'd move to the other. Keep going until I hit enough to achieve FIRE.

>> No.850486

>>850440
30 years

>> No.850531

>>850438
>Bet it all on VOO.
And miss the gains on mid-caps, small-caps, and international stocks -- all of which historically outperform the S&P 500?

And miss the downside protection of a small bond allocation?

Its like you hate money.

Vanguard Retirement Date fund is the correct answer.

>> No.850544

>>850531
>>850438
And the real question, which one of you is right?

>> No.850550

>>850544
Neither and both. Until you decide for yourself, you shouldn't invest.

>> No.850553

>>850531
Small-caps a.k.a too little to not fall and international stocks a.k.a europoors and a bunch of whos getting ass raped by China?

>> No.850593

>>850553
>Small-caps a.k.a too little to not fall
You do know that small caps have historically outperformed large caps in the long-term, right?

>international stocks a.k.a europoors and a bunch of whos getting ass raped by China
You do know that France is up 21.5% YTD, Germany up 15.2%, GBR up 9.8%, Hong Kong up 6.7% and Japan up 16.7% YTD. The fucking Shanghai composite is up 20.1% YTD.

http://news.morningstar.com/index/indexReturn.html

Please go away and learn something before ever posting again.

>> No.850628

>>850477
Fire as in "on fire nigga!" or is fire actually an acronym?

>>850544
Like >>850550 said. Both and neither. In the next 30 years VOO could outperform that moron's stock choices. Or, his choice of funds could kick the shit out of the S&P. Realistically, diversification is probably the best option.

>> No.850659

>>850544
Neither of them because they are both jews. This is a fact.

>> No.850686

>>849915
How much can $25,000 grow in say.. 10 years in an average return rate

>> No.850720

>>849915
ugh, go educate yourself, read a book or two. if you want to "invest" as opposed to trade, i suggest reading the book "how to make money in stocks" by william oneal (i know, generic shitty title) learn about the CANSLIM approach of doing fundamental and technical analysis and research on companies.

its more work, sure, but don't be a lazy fucking faggot. you'll get better returns this way, won't have to pay any dumbass management fees and shit. this is your hard earned money, why give it to some random assfuck to be in charge of. if you want longer term investing, thats a great place to start.

if you want shorter term trading, there are also many more books/websites/courses i can recommend.

my experience is 3 years of reading/learning/studying trading then 3 years of full time trading (including, but not limited to, long term complex option spreads, shorter term options scalps, week long holds on small cap companies, shortselling overbought companies, shortselling pump and dumps and others)

you obviously don't need the 6 years of training/practice that i did, but if you want your money to work for you, don't be a fat idiot. go learn some shit and think carefully before you hand over your money for someone else to manage

>> No.850727

>>850720
I hear you, any resources strictly for Vanguard, or does the O'Neal book cover it?

>> No.850736

>>850727
sorry bruh, i don't know much about vanguard in specific. i know that everyone loves sucking their dick on this site though.

if you do ultimately choose to go with them, cool. just make sure you do your research. after being involved in trading for as long as i have, my number 1 rule (besides cut losses quickly) is to not trust a single fucking person ever about anything. everyone has an angle, everyone wants something. its full of bullshit people and fakers. it makes you jaded as fuck.

even me, you shouldn't just take my word for it. I do suggest william oneals book. but before you buy it, maybe go read a summary of it, or some reviews of it to get a sense of whether or not its for you. maybe youll read a summary and think "man, that guy on 4chan didnt know what the fuck he was talking about, this book is garbage" or maybe youll think "wow, now im the richest fuck ever"

my point is, the more knowledge you have, the more research you do, the higher your chances of success. always take what you hear with suspicion.

my personal experience is more short term trading, not hugely into long term investing. so william oneals book is the only one ill suggest. but that should be enough to set you on the path. also look for books talking specifically about mutual funds and shit, and make sure those books talk equally about the benefits and the shady ass drawbacks that people don't like talking about

>> No.850753 [DELETED] 
File: 61 KB, 700x700, hp 12 c-700x700.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey

For university I need a financial calculator, I don't have much money and I have found people selling 12c and fc200v cheap

I wonder which one should I buy? The HP seems like the one everyone prefers, but the casio seems better for students, IDK which one to choose really

the casio one is gonna cost me 10 dollars more than the HP one though, weird

>> No.850824

>>850720
>>850736
What are your returns over the last 3 years?

>> No.850831

>>850824
depends. different strategies yield different results. im always looking for new strategies and to learn more. one i'm looking at/testing now, in the last 4 ish months, im up 2350$ on an 8k account, using no more than 500$ per trade. so thats roughly up 30% of the total account in 4 months. those are small numbers obviously, but its a proof of concept for now. its looking promising and ill be adding more to the account and trading with larger amounts per trade. ive been able to live off of full time trading, and i'm not left wanting for money, lets put it that way.

i don't trade using the william oneal method though. thats longer term investing. i'm a shorter term trader.

>> No.850832

>>850831
Let's try that again.

How much money did you start with 3 years ago, how much more did you put in, and how much are your accounts worth now?

>> No.850842

>>850831
Holy shit, I have never seen such a deflection of a straight forward question.

Hint: Your answer should consist of a single number. Hint 2: it should be a percentage.

>> No.850851

>>850832
i'm uncomfortable talking actual numbers and $ amount mafde (for various reasons) but i'll tell you that my worst overall yearly return was about 30%. that was, unsurprisingly, year 1. that was also obviously the least amount of $ made (the more you have, the more you make)

plus, the fact that i stated before that ive been able to live off of it and i'm not poor should give you some indication. i'm trading to make money here and have financial freedom, if it wasn't working, i wouldn't still be doing it

sorry i won't be more specific with $ amounts, but I have my reasons, and i'd like to leave it at that.

it's kind of irrelevant though. my style of trading has nothing to do with what the people here are talking about. mutual funds, retirement plans, whatever it may be, theyre all very different from my style. if you're looking for someone else to manage your money, or even do it yourself and have a longer term investment portfolio, that in no way relates to my kind of trading

>> No.850906

>>850842
>Holy shit, I have never seen such a deflection of a straight forward question.
>Hint: Your answer should consist of a single number. Hint 2: it should be a percentage.
Short-term traders can never tell you their performance because they don't know it. If they did, they'd stop fucking around with losing strategies and start investing like an adult.

Protip: When someone tells you about their "best pick" or "this one stock" that did really well, it means the balance of their portfolio is filled with dogs and losers.

>> No.850930

>>850906
sure thing there bud. also, how can someone not know their performance? its all spelled out right there in my weekly/monthly/yearly trading reports from my broker, and its all linked to my profit.ly account (that website verifies and tracks your trades for you, as well as providing a large amount of very useful statistics on your trades) and no, i'm not telling you my profit.ly account because it has my information and real name and stuff.

go ahead and look at the top performers on profit.ly

Protip: the top performers are not long term traders

>> No.850934

>>850906
what i do agree with, however, is that if someone is only talking about 1 or 2 of their best trades, and fail to mention the (probably) equal number of losing trades, they're probably full of shit. like i said before, don't trust anyone. do your own research. read books. many books.

>> No.850950

Vanguard VTI is a better index fund as it invest in the entire stock market. I think its the DOW or SP 500. Or create a retirement account with dividends into an index fund. Which is on vanguard website. If you start in your 20s, then by your 40s you are pretty much set for the minimum retirement goal. So many people never invest their money and spend it on useless shit they'll forget about in six weeks. Never buy a new car, NEVER. Buy a used car in great condition with low maintenance, and buy some house that's within your monthly budget.

>> No.850956

>>850831
>day trading
Guys do not do this. Unless you're an ex-banker with super high speed internet connection aka fiber optic cables then you're not making money. The big banks, hedge funds, PE, and quant firms have rigged the game into their favor. Everyone else is forced into mutual funds and retirement accounts.

>> No.850961
File: 79 KB, 1080x600, VOO.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>850531
>VOO.
>>850438

>> No.850977

>>850956
Very true. if you're trying to compete with the HFT programs, you've got no chance.

>> No.850989

>>850851
>>850930
>i'm uncomfortable talking actual numbers
Oh come on.

Why are you posting about this? Were you hired on some $0.30/post website to shill for brokerages?

If you can't tell us your yearly returns, in percentage, you are lying or shilling.

But please, answer me this: if you are a successful stock trader, WHY WOULD NUMBERS MAKE YOU UNCOMFORTABLE?

>> No.850997

>>850977
HFT is fucking highway robbery. That shit needs to be illegal or taxed to death. It literally steal money from investors. They're guarded by Ex-Military guards so the owners of those data centers know its a high priority hit place.

>> No.851009

>>850628

>is fire actually an acronym?

Financial Independence and Retiring Early.

It's an online community, with Early Retirement Extreme and Mr. Money Mustache being the most high-profile contributors.

>> No.851010

>>851009
Ah, gotcha. I've heard/seen "FI" a ton but never "FIRE". Good goal to strive for, it's all I want too.

>> No.851016
File: 46 KB, 500x404, 1409119990972.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>vanguard target 2060
>expense ratio .17%
>over three times that of VTSAX
A SHAGGY
DAGGY
DOO TO YOOU~

>> No.851257

>>850989
>>850997
HFT is indeed crazy unfair. It also provides the market with like 90% (or so I've heard) of its daily volume though, that's the only positive.

Also, someone asking me to post my exact profit $ and %. Two seconds ago I said that all that info is tied to my profitly account, and that has personal information on it. It would be very easy to find out who I am with my yearly % and $ gain. No thanks, not about to broadcast to 4chan who I am. And how could I be being paid by a broker? I never even mentioned what brokers I have accounts with.

continue being butt hurt just because someone has found success elsewhere from you.

>> No.851271

>>851257
Hey, if you really honestly have been beating the market for the last couple years, I'm happy for you. I just haven't seen any proof, so I'm having trouble believing you. If you're telling the truth though, seriously, that's awesome.

>> No.851585

So anyway... long term investing?