[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 46 KB, 1440x900, 1428873652307.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
821798 No.821798 [Reply] [Original]

So I was wondering if anyone here has received a settlement from side effects from medication or knows someone who has.
My brother has a lawsuit filed against Johnson & Johnson for gynecomastia and he has been told it will not end up being a class action. He's expecting 1 million or so but lawyers get 40%.
Are these things almost like a scam? The case was started over two years ago and was filed a couple of months after. It just seems like it's not going to happen sometimes and or he will get a small check.

>> No.821809

600k for gyno is a pretty good deal. surgery is like 25k tops.

>> No.821810

1m for gyno!? holy shit, I've gotta tell /fit/ about this.

>> No.821811

>>821798
Lawyers like dragging thier feet, the longer it takes, the more they get paid, and most likely he filed a complaint and not a claim because lawyers can't file claims only man can do that. But either way it's still nice little chink

>> No.822125

>>821798
I work at a law firm that did a couple of class actions for gyno. These cases do generally take fucking forever. Two years is fairly average, if you end up with a bunch of appeals it could go on for a decade.

$1mil seems high for one case, unless his condition was unusually bad. Our clients took home anywhere from a few thousand (for kids where you couldn't tell if they had gyno or were just fat) to around $200-300k (for kids who clearly had breasts and the parents did a good job of documenting the psychological issues that caused) after fees and whatnot. Individual case instead of class action would probably get more, though.