[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 173 KB, 455x367, 1425184631462.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
817610 No.817610 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /biz/, firs time posting. Canadian starting up a video game company. I am the only full time employee. If I hire artists, they will only be payed via rev share after completion and release. I figure if I'm the only one in the company I'll have no overhead, and revshare allows me not to take financial risks. Got my first product about halfway complete. Any tips on starting a business, and things I should keep in mind regarding all I said above? Also what are good lawyer fees? How much should it cost to get NDAs and contracts written up for me?

>> No.817632

Those are things you should have been considering years before starting a company.

Complete and release a successful game before worrying about any of that shit.

We can't feed you enough information to answer the broad sweeping questions you're asking. You make it sound like its some menial task, but its complicated enough that there are entire industries devoted to helping people start small businesses. Think about that. It's complicated enough that many people just hire someone else to deal with it for them.

BUT

lawyer fees: HUGE. Don't use a lawyer unless you 100% have to.

Contract writing: Figure $500 at the very very minimum to have a contract written up.

>> No.817664

>>817610
what clowns are you gonna get to work for revshare? Idea men seriously.
who are the trustees, and the account managers?
What the fuck is your marketing budget?
As far as lawyers go. Go to your chamber of commerce meetings. Ask if there are any speakers doing the circuit that meet your needs, and go to their weekend/3 day seminar. It should only be like 500$ and you can learn to structure the basics.
NDA's pshhh google some basic templates, get a thesaurus and get a copy machine and pay a notary. done.