[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 4 KB, 256x272, 1419368600373.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
789443 No.789443 [Reply] [Original]

Hi everyone.

I'm new here. Never stepped foot on this board before. And I need some life/money/work advice.

I'll lay things out for you.
>24 years old
>own an inherited house that's paid off
>Never went to college
>work as a custodian
>make 28k + really good benefits such as 4 weeks of vacation, health, dental, life insurance, pension

I make enough to live on, and I live comfortably enough. The only problem is that I hate working for somebody. tl;dr wageslave problems. It dawned on me this week that I can't do this the rest of my life. I want to do something different. Invest my money somehow. Make at least a little more than I currently do. I'm just at a loss and don't know where to start. Any suggestions are appreciated.

>> No.789446

Start your own toilet cleaning business. I imagine you're an expert in your field by now.

>> No.789448

Sounds like a comfy situation. Just do this for the rest of your life

>> No.789457

OP, do you make more than you spend? If you can save up 10k you can get some serious investment started.

>> No.789462

Become a machinist.

It's interesting work, the pay is good, and the union covers the cost of your approxinately 12 month training.

>> No.789472

>>789443
>24 years old

The younger you start the better off you'll be. Suffer hard for the next 5 years and put it all away. Be conservative, let it build and snowball safely. Does your company match any amount of investment/retirement? If so, you should max that out first, starting now.

>pension

At 24, you shouldn't think of the pension as a crutch keeping you from building a bigger snowball. It really depends where you live, but pensions are being butchered all over globe and all over various cities and companies. Bankruptcy, economic turns, law changes. You really can't count on that pension, and if it gets chopped down or goes away entirely, no amount of picket signs are going to deal with your immediate situation if you had planned to rely on it.

> It dawned on me this week that I can't do this the rest of my life.

That's fine, but you need to do it now and for the foreseeable future. You don't need to quit what you have going to build something else. That's just laziness. You're looking at hard work and time regardless, and if you don't want to put in the work then you're going to have less. Your benefits are pretty valuable.

Lastly, at 24 you can get serious about your health now. Later in life that's going to be as valuable as an investment. While anything can happen, playing the odds on taking care of your health always pays off. It lets you save money, think more clear, and work harder if you aren't suffering from chronic diseases for most of your adult life.

>> No.789475

>>789443

Also at 24 you should look into getting an education. You can work full time and still get an education while putting money away, you just have to be willing and be smart about getting access to any programs, grants, and student loans which make it easier.

>> No.789477

>>789443

Btw downgrade your phone now. Downgrade everything now. Start looking into renting out half that house if it's worth it, or the entire house and just get a cheap apartment.

>> No.789478

Presumably as a custodian you have a lot of skills. Maybe even electrical, plumbing, hvac certifications?
If you don't, you might be able to get your company to pay for them, or just pay for them yourself and pass easily because experience.
Anyway having done that you could set up a side buisness doing one or several things. Once it gets big enough you can move over to doing that as your main job.
Now you have a lot of time on your hands set up a cleaning agency on the side.
Your outgoings are very low so eventually working a little for clients, and creaming off other peoples agency earnings will get you lazy cash.
You have low outgoings. This should be pretty easy. Just remember to budget for house repairs and shit.

>> No.789480

>>789478

Those skills are also very useful for renting out his house. If he doesn't have to hire anyone to do anything to maintain the house, then it's a potential gold mine.

>> No.789483

Yes, rent your house out and slap a custodian fee on the monthly. Then just hire yourself. Moneh moneh yeaauh

>> No.789490

>>789483

>learn basic gardening
>landscape in some flower beds and easily maintained shrubs

>landscaped rental
>higher quality tenants
>monthly landscaping fee
>OP hires himself to maintain the yard

>> No.789493

>>789457
not OP but I have about £5k saved up... What should I do with it?

>> No.789499

>>789493

Convert to a more reliable currency like USD

>> No.789501

>>789499
gbp is a lot stronger than your weak dollar mate

>> No.789510

>>789501

I was being snide.

>> No.789563

>>789493
Throw it all in penny stocks and cross your fingers you get filthy fucking rich.

Just trust me on this one.

>> No.789656

OP here. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. They gave me the lift and ideas I needed. I have considered renting my house but I wasn't sure how viable that would be for income. I'll look into learning how the renting process goes and how to manage everything properly. I guess from here I'll be saving up to fix a few things the house needs. I'll stick with my job for a while. I planned to, wageslaving has just been eating at me lately.
>>789478
>>789480
>>789483
>>789490
You guys are all correct though. I can use it to my advantage in the future.

>> No.789663

>>789483
That's beautiful

>> No.789667

>>789443
>inherited house, make 28k

Better make sure that 28k is enough to pay your RE taxes or else it's the government that inherited the house