[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 227 KB, 739x683, 2015-06-11_21-28-35.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
784004 No.784004 [Reply] [Original]

A few days ago a friend of mine offered a "job".

Today I went with him to go meet his "partner" and he asked if I know what I'm here for.

I said my friend said this was a job offer and I'd want to hear what it's about because "Higher pay; but low hours" was what he said.

He said this not a job offer but an opportunity to make money and he went on for the 3 hour explanation.

Essentially I'd recruit 3 people and from the websites we run - whatever gets purchased we all get a commission or some shit. The money will get credited to my bank. He says I can be working my other job while making extra cash from this job.

(It's with Amway btw)

I'd pay an "investment" of 166 and receive no risk and would have liability insurance - and should I choose to walk out after I sign up I will get the 166 refunded.

Is anyone else in this field? Should I take him up on this?

>> No.784010

>pyramid scheme
>reverse funnel system
>pick one

>> No.784013

>>784010

>Pyramid Scheme

Yep, pyramid scheme, guy was drawing one - me being on the top lol

>> No.784022

It's a multi level marketing gig and they're shit for 95% of the people who get involved. The fact that your friend was vague about it, didn't give you details, and lured you somewhere where someone else would be giving you all the details is standard MLM practice, they did the same with me and they've done the same with others.

Of course these aren't job offers, that would mean making you an employee. They receive a lot of money from initial investments like yours, and usually don't mention non-compete clauses. Primerica uses NCC so once you're in deep enough, getting out means agreeing not to work with any kinda of competitor in a large range from your address for two or so years. They make these jobs sound glamorous but recruiting is the biggest, BIGGEST part of the job. People who work for these companies usually end up bothering their friends and family and end up talking about this company as much as they can. Oh, it's a great opportunity, they'll tell you. Whatever you make or don't make is up to you, they'll say. If they're as hardcore as Primerica is, it could easily get cultish and I am dead serious.

It's up to you to take weigh these risks. You can work at your own pace but don't think it'll be easy or fun or "just extra money on the side". The person getting you to recruit will get cuts of your money and they are heavily encouraged to keep an eye on you and get you to recruit and sell, sell, SELL. Essentially they form the structure of a typical company, giving you a boss while not calling it a boss, but evading any benefits you may get from being an employee.

Review what the investment is giving you. Primerica does provide a license that a regular firm wouldn't give out as easily, but there's still the matter of a non-compete clause. I don't know what Amway offers. You'll likely be "encouraged" to go to several gatherings which are essentially meant to pump you up and keep you excited about all the bullshit you're going to be doing.

cont'd

>> No.784023

>>784013
Except you're late to the game so you're at the bottom. They'll suck more money and time out of you than you'll make off of them

>> No.784030

>>784022

>You'll likely be "encouraged" to go to several gatherings which are essentially meant to pump you up and keep you excited about all the bullshit you're going to be doing.

This, I was told I need atleast 10 hours a week for these meetings.

Holy fuck man

>> No.784031

>>784022
cont'd
And if you don't attend these meetings or enough of these meetings or perform what your recruiter may want(aka, you're not making him the money he imagined), it'll usually be deemed your fault. They'll paint this as a magnificent opportunity. They're not pressuring you, they're just making sure you feel like a complete ass if you ever find a single problem with their model. I've seen a lot of delusional people go through the MLM system, people who considered it a blessing to quit their full time jobs...and then spend years making 20K annually. They hand out awards at meetings for doing anything and usually they have a lot of titles, most of which are meaningless. You might end up seeing 20 or 30 regional managers for the same county. You'll see people given awards for recruiting 5 people or making less money a month than a janitor.

You'll see charismatic people at meetings, giving speeches, making it sound like the world is your oyster. Sometimes they appeal to religion and old fashioned American imagery. Basically, these are smooth talkers and they're born to excel at suckering people in. Quickly, they'll teach about recruiting because that is the bread and butter right there, and if some of your recruitees are not performing well that's your fault entirely. Remember, they're picking people at random from the street. They don't care who you are and that's already a bad sign.

A lot of people get so entangled in the MLM culture that they feel like you're idiot or blind for not wanting to be part of the system they are. One person I knew had a single client and it was their mom. That person sincerely believed they could jump a couple promotions in a few months.

Some people report that even after making it so far, the person above them can fuck them over, take their recruits and leave them as shit as they were when they started in the MLM. Unless you can get people to do what you want, avoid this bullshit. It's a legal pyramid scheme.

>> No.784037

>>784030
Exactly. Suddenly "your own pace" is whatever they deem worthy enough of "being serious about your career." They will make sure you feel like a lazy retard for not going to these sermons, I mean meetings. They want you to feel a sense of belonging and while they're at it, throw in a false sense of progress and accomplishment. The sales you would have made before and after the meeting are rarely any different. The information they give you is basic sales info and some of it is only relevant to their MLM model of doing things.

Suddenly this non-job is strongly non-requiring you to attend every meeting while your non-boss non-pressures you into "being serious" about this. Why aren't you just getting better, they wonder? Why are you just exponentially growing? They worry about you because you're they're product, you're their brand, you're part of their income. It's brands on brands, baby!

>> No.784038
File: 62 KB, 576x382, Daniel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't believe these haters OP.

Yes, a lot of idiots lose money trying to do MLM/Pyramid shit, but they dont have what you have!!

You got the drive
You got the brains
You got the passion

This is your destiny, don't miss out on it! An opportunity like this only comes once in a lifetime!

>> No.784040

>>784022
>>784031
MLM is another nice word for pyramid scheme.
The definition of a pyramid scheme is where the recruitment far outweighs other aspects of business.

>> No.784042

>>784040
Essentially, it is a pyramid scheme. There's technicalities to differ it from one but it walks like a PS, it talks like a PS, and it functions like a PS. Like I said, just a legal pyramid scheme except it reaches that nice point where they the law can't say they deceived you enough to warrant being a complete scam. It's that company culture, that brainwashing, the trained behaviors, and trained ways of thinking that do all the bullshit they need.

>> No.784052

>>784004
he's not your friend, he's just using you to try to make money

>> No.784076

After reading all this I'm real fucking glad I didin't fall into this cluster fuck.

During the entire 3 hours I was skeptic about the entire thing and my gut feeling was saying to walk the fuck out.

>> No.784078

>>784076
Good on you. I don't know how your friend will handle it, I hate to say it but some people do not take this well. It's best to just say it's not for you and don't even contest their arguments because they're opinion on the matter was made long before they thought about pulling you into recruitment. Some people have lost friends and gfs/bfs over this retarded shit and always because the person they lost is trained to think there's something wrong with you for not taking such a glorious opportunity. People rarely ever express their condescending opinion of you without it getting into a fight or going off the deep end of decent behavior.

It probably doesn't help that you not going along with the MLM is basically them losing a potential revenue stream; often one they apply unrealistic expectations to. So not only do they tend to think you're some kind of retard for not taking the deal but you just cost them all that vague potential money and now, according to the company, they're a retard for not being able to keep you. Tread carefully.

>> No.784086

>>784078

Noted.

Thank you...

>> No.784138

>>784004
If you're a good salesman I would get people lined up to join this shit, then cash out all at once.

Take it if you can sell other people on it.