[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 116 KB, 433x493, 1417928295576.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
738844 No.738844 [Reply] [Original]

Will the economy ever be "good" again? By "good" I mean jobs are plentiful, students walk out of school into gainful employment, everyone has good benefits and work-life balance, people can afford to pop out babies and live in their dream homes with white picket fences, no more news articles spouting doom-and-gloom or unstable futures, and we all live happily ever after with our secure retirements and qt3.14 gfs. If possible, how long would this take? 10 years? 50 years? 100 years?

>> No.738845

>>738844

>Will the economy ever be "good" again
>again

Name one instance in time and place where this situation ever existed.

>> No.738852

>>738845
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_miracle

>> No.738855

>>738852
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_miracle
Here's your good news, nothing's stopping you from applying for chink citizenship.
China's enjoying their boom right now, and some shitholes in SEA may in a decade or two.

>> No.738875

>>738844
Never, forget it, your youth is lost

>> No.738929

>>738844
Nope. Sorry, we're all fucked. A very very small minority may manage through luck and hard work to swim out of the breakers but the rest of us are doomed to kick like hell just to keep our head above the water before we drown from disease or old age.

>> No.739172

Sometimes I think about this, especially when it relates to the younger generation. I am hearing more and more about how they are aging but no progress is being made.

That would be a scary thing - being in your 30's and making minimum wage to, say, 40k or so.

>> No.739213

>>738852

None of those were even remotely like what you describe in the OP.

>> No.739215

>>738844
No the boomers were the last to experience this, and they did pretty much everything they could to make sure it never happens again

>> No.739219
File: 487 KB, 500x373, 1380158061687.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>739215

>> No.739221

>>738844
the current economic system in the western world is nearly the ideal model for anyone who has determination and/or an innovative idea.

people will still be people under any system though.

the "economy" will be better when fat people are all dead and nobody else becomes obese. maybe some other bad habits need to go, but that's the priority and even then it's only marginally going to improve the quality of life.

everything you mentioned as a perk of the economy is really just a personal choice. most people don't care about them enough to work for them, and the rest are simply uneducated about their opportunities. other, more relevant benefits of a better economy would just require reevaluating salaries and foreign relations.

>spouting doom-and-gloom
this is just a marketing strategy. if you live in a first world country and aren't dirt poor scraping the bottom 7% or so, then you have a functionally good life compared to any other time period in history. but yes making people think of sad/scary shit makes them spend more.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15102144

>> No.739252

>>739221
>this is just a marketing strategy. if you live in a first world country and aren't dirt poor scraping the bottom 7% or so, then you have a functionally good life compared to any other time period in history. but yes making people think of sad/scary shit makes them spend more.

I don't know if killing off fat people really makes sense but I definitely agree with this one. I'm currentlly working miinimum wage part time and am doing just fine. I have a nice roof over my head and actually save some per month. Granted, it's WA minimum wage, so this isn't like Arkansas minimum wage, but you're right.

Unemployment is pretty damn low right now. I don't understand what OP is complaining about...

>> No.739313

>>738844
With huge reform, yes. Without, no.

>> No.739325

>>738844

With graduates entering the work force with somewhat unrealistic expectations and student loan debt, I don't really think things will be great.

If you want a good job after graduating, you need lots of work experience during college so that you can land a good job. Don't have that work experience? Then you'll have to scramble for it, and you'll be behind those you did.

Lower wage entry jobs should be sustainable in normal circumstances but student loan debt has made this an impossibility.

People don't do their research and enter fields that have no demand.

I also don't really see how the economy can possibly keep up with the birth rate and immigration in America.

>> No.739328

>>739313
>More rear view driver legislation/ regulation incoming

THANKS MILLENNIAL/CENTENNIAL OBAMA VOTERS

>> No.739334

>>739252

The only reason unemployment is so low is because there are record numbers of people who have fallen off the UE sheets. Real unemployment is a whole lot closer to 20-25% but that is just bad press to advertise.

Look at first quarter GDP growth this year. All signs point to the US slipping back into recession Q2/Q3. All is not rosy in the US

>>739221
If we are killing people off, it would be far better for the US to kill off the bottom 15% of the country. They alone are the reason the US's education and health are ranked so low. Switzerland is the happiest country in the world, precisely because its health and education levels are so high... The "poor" in Switzerland earn roughly $2,700 per month. To compare that, in the US earn roughly $950 a month

Forget fat people, poor people and immigrants will always be the problem with America

>> No.739363

>>739334
>kill the poor
>profits of walmart, cigarette companies, mcdonalds, starbucks, and labor intensive food producers drop into the toilet now that no one wants to work a shit job for minimum wage (or less).

The bottom 15% are basically a government subsidized workforce for megacorporations.

>> No.739364

>>739328
I will have you know that regulations such as the Glass-Steagal act helped the middle class flourish as never before seen in history.

And the Boomers have squandered it all and them some.

>> No.739368

>>739364
kill the old!

>> No.739371

>>739364
nonono anon it's all the EEEEEVIL gobberminn reguhlashuns that are making the job creators lock up trillions of dollars.

>> No.739372

>>738844
>Will the economy ever be "good" again?

Vote republican, and it will be very good again.

>> No.739381

>>739372
Yeah, if you're already uber-rich.

>> No.739386

>>739381
>not having higher taxes on the rich is LITERALLY stealing money from the middle class
Political retards pls go

>> No.739388

>>739381
prosperity does not come from high taxation. it you want a good job, some company out there will have to take a chance on you. Repealing obamacare and lowering taxes will make getting a good paying job a lot easier.

>> No.739391

>>739363

..and it will take approx two weeks for McD to come out with entirely automated restaurants.

> completely reliable
> orders always correct
> nobody spitting in your food
> second gen already much cheaper than min wage people

>> No.739396

>>739334
>Real unemployment
sounds real interesting.

it's low, and people are generally satisfied unless some cop shoots a black criminal or a mayor does cocaine.

things aren't "rosy" but people adapt like they always have. my point earlier wasn't a measure of how great everyone has it, it was saying that it's never been better for such a large portion of society, and that doomsday/depression media is supported by corporate interests. thats not even talking about your sensationalized view of immigrants or how people love to hear about conspiracies, i'm saying peak hours and front page slots are always subtle pieces of distressful information in every type of media, and that's because it encourages people to spend money.

>> No.739405

>>739391
Ahh, but you forget that a lot of their profit comes from poor people *buying* their shitty food. Ditto for Walmart.
>poor and uneducated, know nothing about nutrition
>working two minimum wage jobs so too overworked and tired to cook
>feeding three kids because I was too stupid to use contraceptives
>Fuck it, get mcdonalds.

>> No.739413

>>739364
So... Repeal, not reform. Right?

>> No.739416

>>738844
>students walk out of school into gainful employment

I think this only ever happened when the number of people going to university was tiny. And this happened because income inequality was greater.

I don't think we will ever return to a state where only the upper classes can go to university.

>> No.739422

Sorry OP. Our societal and vocational constructs have failed to properly adapt to the rate that technological progress has been moving.
So there is guaranteed to be a great violent Happening. (like these riots that just started in Baltimore, but it will be worldwide)

>> No.739440

What you're talking about, OP, hasn't been the case for 50 years. And it will never come back.

>1965
>"Jesus Dave, look at this! This guy has a degree in Mechanical *Engineering* and a 3.1GPA! And he worked full time at a hardware store every summer, he's gotta be a good employee. We gotta get him in here for an interview now!"
>goes back to working on a big project for the company with his team of well paid, happy engineers and project managers
>his boss is in his office, working with the management to snatch up another big contract
>even the lowest paid employee in the office is making enough to own a home, support a stay-at-home wife and 2 kids

>2015
>"Top fucking kek, look at this loser, Dave. Mechanical Engineering grad with only a 3.7GPA and only two internships in college. He doesn't even have a double major with software engineering. Drop it in the trash. Oh, haha, send him one of those 'We'll keep your resume on file' emails! Those are hilarious!"
>goes back to watching his barely-paid team of engineers do all the work
>his boss hasn't even been in the office in two weeks because he doesn't have to do anything and just collects money
>the boss collects a $850,000 "dividend" from the company and a $1 annual salary so he's only paying 15% on taxes
>the managers are receiving $250k pa, 5 weeks of vacation, ~80k bonuses
>the veteran engineers make $70k
>the "entry-level" (aka under 10 years of experience) engineers make $38k
>the interns aren't paid at all

In the next 5 years, a "paid" internship will mean you had to pay the company to work there.

>> No.739442

>>738844
No

>> No.739447

standard cycles of 15 years growth followed by a period of struggle forever and ever for us westeners. unless reform

>> No.739452

>>739172
There are loads of people like this from precious generations.

I work with about 4 people over the age of 50 who work as pharmacy assistants (about 17-20$ an hour, just above australian minimum wage) and have done most of their lives. no aspirations, no goals, hardly any savings. Most have kids, one still rents, it sucks for them. One had no kids and has managed to buy a house and save money on his minimum wage so he has done very well considering.

But that will be a lot of us in our generation. Working shit kicker jobs but with 40k student debt on our shoulders and an unreachable housing market inflated by poor government policy and foreign investment.

Thanks obama.

>> No.739455

>>739252
I think the main reason people feel poor despite having better overall QOL and income since precious periods is because this modern era has more luxuries that we view as needs instead of wants.

You need food water and shelter. You want wifi, an iphone, a playststion and a flatscreen tv with netflix. But in the west we view these wants as bare necessities and thus even the poor cut into their low earnings to buy these things because they "need" them. If you forgo certain modern luxuries you'd find yourself in a much better financial position. Do you need that new car, or do you just want it?

>> No.739462
File: 1.97 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>739215
Yup

>> No.739474

>>738929
World war 3 will save us.

>> No.739480

>>739455
>I think the main reason people feel poor despite having better overall QOL and income since precious periods is because this modern era has more luxuries that we view as needs instead of wants.

The reason that is bullshit is because so many necessities are now luxuries- I own apartments where people are just there to die because they can't afford surgery or drugs.

>> No.739522

>>739455
I know what you're saying but back in the day you could be a homesteader and get 300 acres. That's all I want in life: 300 acres, some chickens, a garden, some cows. Don't care about electricity or much else.
Long as I got my dog, my 12 guage and my gee-tar I'd be happy.
Today I'd have to be a millionaire just to be a poor farmer-peasant

>> No.739569

>>739334
>Real unemployment is a whole lot closer to 20-25% but that is just bad press to advertise.
You're full of shit. If somebody's not looking for work, they're not "unemployed". They're "not in the labor force". It makes sense for it to be this way.

>> No.739572

>>738844
OP - you can either be a victim of the world or you can ignore that mentality and tell the world where you're going.

I can say without a second's hesitation that I have everything you mentioned as "good" and I don't have a problem with "the news" because I ignore that ratings seeking bullshit. For me, this came about from a series of deliberate decisions and a non-stop plan for myself both professionally, financially and in life.

There will always be people who claim they are in rough times. Are they right? Only if they believe all the hype actually applies to them. If you take the proper steps to insulate yourself from disaster, make your career happen deliberately rather than letting it happen and make decisions that push you out of your comfort zone towards a greater level of achievement, the doom and gloom simply won't apply to you.

If you instead make bad decisions such as falling into a job, spending all of your money eating out and on car payments, and watching the news "shows" on TV, it's only luck keeping you from totally failing at life.

The Great Depression was perhaps one of the only times in American History where what I'm saying doesn't quite apply. We're far from that today.

>> No.739575

not until the old fucks stop thinking that other people need to "earn" a position near them. ever notice how there are 17,000 different hoops to jump through to get anywhere? established fuckers are protecting themselves.

>> No.739592

>>739575
And as long as you believe that, you're already fucked. Merit is what you make it and it doesn't come from wishing or entitlement which you seem to have.

Jump through those hoops or seek ways outside of your current job to skip a few of them.

>> No.739634
File: 15 KB, 259x194, animals.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>739388
>repeal obamacare
You Americans cannot into socialized medicine. If anything is wrong with obamacare, its the fact that a compromise with the for-profit healthcare establishment had to be made. There is such a thing as obscene profits when it comes to essential services. The problem in the US is that medical care is not viewed as an essential service by many.
>MFW every developed country other than the US makes socialized medicine work, partially because they realize that charging $300 for a hospital gown and burying the charge in an itemized list of numbered charges is unscrupulous.

>> No.739698

>>739569
>If somebody's not looking for work, they're not "unemployed"
Alright, politician. Yes, they are. Somebody who says "looking for a job is hopeless, I'll just live with my parents and try to limit how much money I spend." is not fucking out of the labor force. They're unemployed.

The job market fucking sucks right now. New jobs are almost non-existent compared to basically any time before now. If you don't have someone on the inside, have exceptional (and I mean fucking exceptional) talent, or get unbelievably lucky, you aren't getting a job.

Current unemployment sits at about 20%, and it will only go up as automation increases. Except that number to double in the next 10 years due to automated driving. Truckers, taxi drivers, and almost anyone else who gets paid to drive won't have a job. What are you gonna do then, not include unemployed people who don't have at least a bachelor's?

>> No.739714

>>739698
you seem to be pessimistic to an unreasonable extent. Times are hard for sure, but someone who stops looking for a job would miss every opportunity. This may sound overly optimistic to someone like yourself, but you should take it to heart because your attitude makes all the difference in the world. If you work hard at everything you do, whether employed or not, and have a good attitude you will gain the attention of the right people.
And as for automated trucking, perhaps some routes in perfect conditions could be done by computers, but there are way to many variables to make the vast majority of these jobs automated. (Yes I saw that Mercedes truck commercial too, and my stance still stands to reason)

>> No.739752

>>738844

Some major fucking changes are going to need to happen.

There is way too much unsecured immigration, way to much reliance on foreign labor, and the aristocracy has gotten way too topheavy.

If there isn't a rebalancing within the next 10 years we could be headed for a serious class war. I'm talking where white people riot like in Baltimore.

>> No.739757

>>739440

nailed it. I screenshooted your post.

the academic promises are in a serious crises right now.

>> No.739764

>>739455

I've heard people say this and I disagree.

The only "luxuries of today" are cell phone and internet and cable.

SO lets add all that up. What is that $200 a month? That's not much bro.

something much greater is wrong with society than, "well people are just spoiled"

furthermore a cell phone with internet access is pretty standard to function today. Your argument is like a person in the 1900's saying the electricity is a luxury.

>> No.739785

>>739455
>You need food water and shelter. You want wifi, an iphone, a playststion and a flatscreen tv with netflix

Shelter is fucking expensive (see 1000+/month rent)

Good food is fucking expensive (fresh fruits, organic)

Luxuries (i.e. a phone plan) are actually cheap

>> No.739794

>>739785

this.

over the last 15 years the COL having increased dramatically while wages have barely increased.

^ this is the key to the all the issues today ^

>> No.739830

>>739785
1000 only if you really need to be in the middle of the city, and thats the average - people manage by sharing spaces. they are still extremely large, comfortable spaces by global standards today, let alone historically. nobody even knows or cares how to fix shit.

"good food" by your description is almost nonexistent. people don't spend much on food if money is tight, but yeah it's usually the biggest individual allocation of money.

luxuries are not cheap if they add up, and they do add up.

you completely forgot that people spend too much on transportation and drugs/alcohol. theres a real problem to look at. when i worked minimum wage i was paying for the remaining expenses after grants for university and i could eat well and be comfortable, while my coworkers blew everything on expensive clothes, cigarettes, drinks, and then spent most of their time whining about wages and work instead of looking forward.

>>739764
>wrong with society
well the subject is on "feeling poor despite objectively better quality of life than in the past"
my best guess for your problem in this context is "too much television" which isn't necessarily a social issue as much as a personal one on a large scale. maybe better education would be a good idea but who knows. people aren't spoiled but they get a lot of artificial social cues telling them to expect and to spend more, while every study out there shows this is a straight path to dissatisfaction.

>> No.739832

>>739830
>1000 only if you really need to be in the middle of the city, and thats the average

I'm not even in an urban area and shitty studio apartments are 700/month

>> No.739834 [DELETED] 

>>739832
congratulations. most of my friends paid between 400 and 500 per month to live in a house. i paid 775 for a while at a studio which was everything i needed.

>> No.739838
File: 24 KB, 570x411, 1428507726590.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>739830
You clearly live in East Bumfuck, 1k rent will get you an alleyway cardboard box in the middle of a city.

>> No.739839

>>739832
congratulations. most of my friends paid between 400 and 500 per month to live in a house. i paid 775 for a while at a studio which was everything i needed. now i live in a 1 bedroom for 920 and theres much more space than me and my wife can fill. it's not the same quality of housing our parents probably had opportunities for, but people need to chill out about this shit. get excited for things like driverless cars and stem cell research instead.

>> No.739840

>>739838
seattle area.

1k rent is average in cities across the US.

move out you bumbling retard.
>inb4 i can't

>> No.739841

>>739474
I disagree. All of the production will go to war machines and not consumer goods. Lower supply = higher prices with no hike in wage rate.

Also WWIII is gonna be US nuking China, China nuking US, or some weird form of both. And then smelly Russians will take over.

>> No.739842

>>739794
This guy gets it. Been this way ever since Reagan.

>> No.739844

Excavation business owner here:

Before:

- A LOT less papework involved to get the job started, permits etc.
- You make around 50% on the job that you bid on
-Cheap land so you can buy the land close to the job and use it to get rid of the excessive dirt
- A lot of jobs everywhere
- Basically no restrictions when doing the job
- No waiting for the money

NOW

- FUCKTON of permits that cost a lot money (jews gotta eat too)
- Not able to start the job until all the paperwork is done, which can take years.
-Market is tight and there is a lot competition, you lucky if you make 20% on the job.
-Almost no jobs
- You are not allowed to finish the job fast enough because rules like "only 10 trucks a day allowed to haul the dirt" (no limit back then)
- getting money takes forever

This is the world we live in now.

>> No.739865

>>739841
WWIII would be a cyber war. KGB hackers would take out the internet and power plants. The average joe would be extremely inconvenienced and society would grind to a screeching halt.

>> No.739872

>>739844
You know, I was just thinking about this today. If I wanted to create a new car company from scratch, or an investment bank, or a computer processor fabrication company, or a petroleum offshore drilling company... the permits, licenses, regulations, paperwork, fees, judicial precedent, startup capital, patent laws, etc... must be maddeningly complex. I don't think it's possible. Using the car company example, assuming startup capital isn't a thing, I think you'd just have to create your product and sell it to people until you got cease and desist letters from the relevant government agencies for not having X license, or from other companies for violating patents, and then deal with each case individually. "Stop! You need an X license. Okay we got an X license now. Stop! Your product does not conform with Y regulation. Okay we conform with Y regulation now." And just keep iterating the process thousands of times until no one bothers you anymore. If no one bothers you, you're finally doing it right.

>> No.739883

>>738845
Post WW-2 when the rest of the world was a ruin and we were the manufacturing base for the entire planet. That's the key, we just need another massive war. We can harden the modern sissies we call "men" and kickstart the economy. Kill two birds with one Patriot Missile.

>> No.739886

>>739252
>I don't know if killing off fat people really makes sense

It doesn't. The quick fix fitness industry pumps billions into our economy by giving false hope to fatties. Then again, the fat old fucks drain millions with their ailments. I'd say it's a wash.

>> No.739893

>>739363
If we had less unskilled workers wages would increase for shit jobs. i.e., if everyone knew computer programming, accounting, etc. then the trash man would probably make a lot more because no one would need that job.

>> No.739897

>>739634
The reason our health care costs so much in the first place is the insane government regulations for healthcare licensing. I don't need to see someone that went to medical school for years just to prescribe me an anti-biotic. Fuck off.

>> No.739912

>>739440
Dividends are not taxed the same as capital gains, so you would not have a 15% tax rate on that. Also, assuming you are referring to long-term capital gains, the rate is 20% in the highest bracket. If it were a capital gain, it would be short-term and therefore taxed at the same rate as normal income (39.6%). Lrn2Tax faggot.

>> No.739915

>>739455
I can't stand people who have cable subscriptions complaining that they don't have money. You could argue that internet is essential, but you can get an ok connection for like $30 a month.

>> No.739917

>>739569
Meanwhile all of those people not looking for work realized they are better off sitting around and leeching a welfare check. Sounds real good.

>> No.739918

>>739575
Some heads of state CPA licensing boards got their licenses after high school when the only requirement was passing the test, no college or work requirements. It fucking sickens me.

>> No.739922

>>739698
>>739714
Times are changing and unskilled work is disappearing. Smart people adapt, acquire relevant skills, survive, and thrive. Poor and stupid people will wallow in their own filth as they always have.

>> No.739925

>>739872
There's a lot of money to be made in helping average people with government regulation. I prepare tax returns and I'm getting quite good at it. Currently studying for my CPA.

>> No.739951

>>739522
That is hilarious. My upper-middle class friends are all trying urban farming and one wants to buy a plot of land and start a winery.

Now you gotta compete with some rich kid for 300 acres and all they want is to add more wine swill to the world.

>> No.739952

>>739839
Yeah I am getting fucking excited for people living longer and needing to work 20 more years rather than make space for me. So tight bro.

>> No.740138
File: 12 KB, 184x274, Grapes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>739897
>I don't need to see someone that went to medical school
You know there are off the shelf medications. Also, licensing is a drop in the bucket and does not justify the profits that private hospitals in the US make. Every profession has costs attached to becoming accredited and they charge accordingly. (Except in the US where doctors themselves make slightly more than the average in the developed world, and ownership of these hospitals make extravagant amounts.)

Business is business and regulation does cause some inefficiencies, but there are good trade-offs for that as well. US medicine is one of few examples where the major cause of inefficiency is because of privatization. (Unless of course you see medicine as a BUSINESS instead of an ESSENTIAL SERVICE like an AMERIFAG)

>> No.740184

>>739752
Fucking this.
Even forgetting border immigration, companies are importing middle class Indians who went to some garbage school in calcutta and paying them under 50k a year .

>> No.740198

>>739764
Internet and phone is basically a requirement to get ANY employment.
You can get by with 20 dollar internet and a tracphone but it doesnt change my point.
Minimum wage jobs have their applications online

>> No.740351

>>739886
>>739893
>>739897
>>739912
>>739915
>>739917
>>739918
>>739922
Jesus dude, you know you can reply to more than one reply in a single post, right?

Like, I can also reply to this guy:
>>739951
about his upper middle class friends

And I can also reply to this guy:
>>740138
About the grapes of wrath.

>> No.740360

>>739455
Seriously this. My parents lived in communist Yugoslavia and even though they managed to get out of there during the wars and manage to build a little property empire worth $5 million usd they still reflect back at how good life was in a "simpler time". They didn't have much but no one cared - people enjoyed life, had good food and enjoyed each other's company. Their fortune has brought them more problems they say

>> No.740372
File: 270 KB, 680x932, 1396837859538.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>housing prices seemingly increasing forever, average house is now 450k
>food is expensive as fuck
>rent is $1000 a month minimum to live in a ghetto with somalians and natives
>cheapest cell phone plan is $80/month
>internet is expensive as fuck
>highest personal debt in the world
>government lets in more immigrants than there are jobs being created
>oil industry responsible for most of the growth in recent years, now it's gone
>1000 applicants for every job

Canada is FUCKED, Australia too. At least in America you have opportunity

>> No.740400
File: 262 KB, 2000x1000, o-TED-CRUZ-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

if you vote for this guy, sure

>> No.740406

>everyone has good benefits
If you're talking about the welfare state that's the main reason why societies have collapsed in history.

>> No.740409

>>739897
I've concluded that we're better off just going for Medicare-for-all (or most) and I'm a libertarian. You could in theory cut all regulations and try to break the doctor guild, but I think most people would freak out about it. So if you can't completely liberalize the medical market, you have to cut costs some other way. I don't think people will ever be happy with the previous system which saw healthcare costs go out of control.

Obamacare does some things okay but it's not really ideal. It's okay for a while though, but it might be tweaked.

medicare-for-all, though, takes responsibility from employers to provide healthcare, freeing them of regulatory burdens, and allows employees to have portable health insurance which increases their likelihood to change jobs, which is a good thing.
Sure, we'd pay more in taxes, but Medicare has made some convincing progress in holding down healthcare increases.

This could be part of a compromise as well. Let's get Medicare-for-all while abolishing the Department of Education or some other agency, some long-held desire of the conservative movement.

>> No.740824

>>740372
you must live in BC or outwest.

in Halifax a ghetto apt is $400-$800 a mo for single room.

phone plans start at $35 and about $50 will get your something good.

Internet is eh priced.
Food is reasonably priced.

>> No.740832

>>738844
Honestly? I'm fairly certain our children will. We're entering the point in societal development where we make just enough kids to offset the dying, so there will always be SOME kind of steady flow of employment, and should, in theory, be cushy (this is ostensibly not taking the humanities into account, but even they will benefit from this).

Overtime, the other countries will develop also ascending the societal developmental scale, and the emmigration/immigration & outsourcing won't be so egregious and shit. Our grandchildren will probably see it, and when we're of retiring age we'll start to truly see it.

>> No.740840

>>739334
>Real unemployment is a whole lot closer to 20-25%
Historically when "real" unemployment like this occurs revolutions happen. I'm not shitting you. I sincerely don't believe this is true, and I'd like some citations even though I'm fairly certain you can't provide any.

>> No.740860

>>739522
>All I want is 300 acres
You are the dumbest, most ignorant nigger. There's enough land for each person to have less than 6 acres. Most of it is commercial, uninhabitable, or not in countries you'd want to live in.

You'd be in the top 1% of land owners if you got 2 acres.

>> No.740866

>>739872
The problem here is that the house demands its cut. People already tried this, so now you get fined tens of thousands for operating without license X or for not following Y regulation.

>> No.740872

>>740832
We, the responsible people who actually think about our lives, are producing enough just enough children to offset the dying.

Dumbass immigrants and welfare abusers have 7 kids because "muh tradition" or "muh paycheck", so we're fucked in general.

>> No.741163

>>740860
Wait, where did you get this info, you're saying someone owning 2 acres of land are part of just 1% of the population?

>> No.741715

>>739325
No amount of research on a major can predict what the world will be like in four years or longer. Look at lawyers, eight years and working their asses off to get shat into a market that doesn't need them.
The only sure job is learning a trade, but that's a path to survival, not thriving. Some win, some lose, that's all really. The real problem is that the current generation was told that college would help, when it only incurs assloads of debt and less work experience. Nobody likes wasting that much time and money.

>> No.741721

>>739325
>I also don't really see how the economy can possibly keep up with the birth rate and immigration in America.

Is there an end in sight with these issues or are the powers that be going to keep pussyfooting around this major problem until the economy collapses?
Hell the reason we are seeing alot of issues with Blacks is because every immigrant group under the sun is taking all the min wage to 50k a year jobs, so they are pretty much SOL - being left with getting educated (too expensive for most), going vocational (also expensive to an extent but more and more are taking this route) or joining the military.

It's incredibly short sighted.
The Border problem are a issue, but the real slap in the face is green card immigrants from some shit tier school in their home country and lowering wages.

>> No.741750

>>741163
I'm saying 99% of the world's population doesn't even own 2 acres.

>> No.741752

>>741721
There's no solution. As a whole group, on paper, in the sense of future stability, only the nazi approach would work, but there's more reasons for why we'll never do that than there are calories in a movie theater's smallest soda size.

>> No.741764

>>738844
probably not in our lifetimes, OP. The conditions that allowed that kind of affluence required a global underclass that was having a lot of value extracted. Globalization and a shrinking world have removed the barriers between the waterless masses and those who won the genetic lottery. It will certainly get better from those who don't have access to a functioning toilet or a washing machine. But we definitely seem headed for a long decline over here.

>> No.742499

>>741752
I think a more effective analogy would be "in a movie theater's largest soda size", because then you'd talking about the maximum amount of something in a given domain (lots of calories in the largest drinks -> lots of reasons why we can't do Nazi things) rather than the minimum.

But the idea is still good because we'll say 95- eh, 98% of Americans are fat, lazy, retarded assholes.