[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 61 KB, 500x260, first-day-on-the-jobs.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
704284 No.704284 [Reply] [Original]

/biz/

I got a new job. This is my first "real" job. It's a 40k/year accounting job. Tomorrow is my first day.

I'm nervous as fuck. Tell me the dos and don'ts. Share your 1st day stories. Or just 1st day on the job general

>> No.704290

>>704284
be on time
say hi to everyone

don't worry about fuckups because they expect you to fuck up. Tell them if you need help with something, don't wait to be asked.

Try to remember people's names.
Tax or audit?

>> No.704291

>>704290
Just general accounting. It's a small business located downtown in a large city. Probably no more than 25 employees. Basically I'll be doing different things in Excel and Quickbooks.

>> No.704292

>>704291
Sorry, OP here. I had to reset my router so my IP changed.

>> No.704296

first impressions count.

kiss that raise/promotion goodbye because you gave the wrong impression.

>> No.704298

>>704291
Oh I see.
Excel and QB are both quite easy once you get the hang of it. Just watch out for details and you should be fine. Sounds like a pretty chill job though, unless there are tons of transactions.

What's your long term plan with this firm?

>> No.704300

>>704284
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTKgyZZP5KQ

>> No.704305

>>704298
It's too early to tell. This is my first job out of college. I ultimately want to go to grad school and become CPA licensed.

If they're all cool and they support my long-term career path and they provide raises as I get more educated/get more responsibilities/prove to be a valuable employee, then of course I'll consider a long-term career.

If the job isn't rewarding and I feel trapped and unappreciated and worthless, then I'll work there to get some experience and apply to other jobs.

Do you work in accounting? You sound like someone who knows what they are talking about.

>> No.704309

>>704298

if its a mom and pop firm sure, but anywhere worth its salt is 100% metrics based, no humans involved in the promotion process.

>> No.704310

>>704305

no I just read a bunch of SEO articles on accounting program websites

>> No.704312

>>704305
I do tax in a medium sized public accounting firm. Taking CPA exams right now. If you can already sit for the exams, study on the side and try to pass all four in a year or so.

I don't really know if MS in accounting is worth it; but if you need units for your CPA and you're paying for course units, you might as well, but do consider all your options. CPA without masters is better than masters without CPA imo. Having both is good, but I'm not sure how much better than just the license.

>> No.704315

>>704312
I'm not eligible to sit in for the requirements yet, I still need about 20 more college credits. I can get a Master's in accounting with about 30 credits, so it just makes sense to get both.

Not to be a homo but how much $$ do you make and do you think $40k/yr is too little for me to be making?

>> No.704316

>>704284

DO bring a six pack of natty to slam with the boys on break

DON'T piss in the urinal next to your boss if you're packing bigger meat

>> No.704330

>>704315
I make a tad bit over $50k pretax in a high COL area so not very much. It's still my first year too, for reference, but I had some bookkeeping experience before I got this job.

Yeah if it's just 10 units more than I would get a masters degree too.
40k sounds about right if you're in private and not doing any specialized tasks, but you probably have a lot more free time.

For example I have to log at least 55 billable hours per week right now during busy season so I leave the office at 8pm earliest.

Are you planning to go back to college as a full time student? If you plan it well you might be able to keep your job (or find another) part time, take classes, study/sit for exam, and land a job at a Big4 (if you want to go to do public accounting).

For many states the requirement to sit for the exam is less than the requirement to actually get licensed, so a lot of people sit for exams and take classes simultaneously.

>> No.704336

>>704284
Be yourself.

Don't try to be funny unless you are funny

Don't steal or embezzle

Be there 5 minutes early EVERY DAY. NEVER EVERY BE LATE.

at this stage in the 21st century and all its distractions, I'd recommend turning off the smartphone

>> No.704345

>>704284
DONT MESS WITH THE CASH

>> No.704350

>>704330
Thanks for the advice! I plan to go back, but I can do it part time, or evening courses.

Do you enjoy your job? Also is your degree in accounting? My undergrad degree is just in business admin so I'm kind of nervous I won't be as educated in the field as someone who majored in accounting.

>> No.704368

>>704350
No problem.
My major was also business admin. So I went to a small college which offered accounting courses for cheap and took their evening classes to fulfill my state CPA requirements (California)

I think you'll be fine; accounting itself isn't very hard, and the CPA exams cover quite a lot so if you study for that I think you'll be okay.

I don't enjoy my job but I don't dislike it either. Tax is quite repetitive (quarterly estimates, tax provision, file extension, file return) but each company is different and has its own set of problems. During this season I also get assigned individual tax returns which is a nice change of pace. The long hours are exhausting but it's like that for all public accounting firms. In my office, people in audit seem to have longer hours with more traveling. I just sit at my desk, do my own thing.

After 2 or 3 years I'm planning to go back to my old job and do more business admin related work.

>> No.704389

>made 70k a year first job ever
>was a 8-5 stickler for a solid 3 months
>felt like I shouldn't rob the company of my time
fast forward todoay
>left previous company making 85k now
>show up at 9 leave at 4:30
>boss pulls me in in a serious tone
>she was joking and gives me my yearly raise of 7% because I was "in the top 20% of our grading scale for my 8 months of employment"

as long as you are getting shit done it doesn't matter

>> No.705617

Kiss ass. Don't steal other people's food from the fridge. Be polite but don't make friends too fast until you have a better idea how things run. Suck their dicks if they want you to. Good Luck

>> No.705652

> NEVER EVER! BE LATE. EVER!
> Smile at everyone.
> Shake peoples hands and shake them well, if they don't initiate during conversation, initiate the handshake and formally introduce yourself.
> Don't touch your phone / don't let anyone see you touching your phone.
> Don't slouch
> If you get stuck or you're confused, ASK for help, don't just sit there.
> If you run out of work during your probation, ask around for more work.

>> No.705657

>>705652
This is ridiculous.

Just be yourself man. You can always find another job if this one doesn't work out. The important thing is that you're happy with it.

>> No.705662

>>705657
Don't listen to this idiot. >>705652 gave pretty good advise for a first day. Half the battle for a newbie is making a good first impression. If people like you, they will be more likely to help out or cut you some slack

>> No.705878

>>704312

Do you need an undergrads in Accountancy to sit on on CPA exam?

I'm about to start university and am majoring in Business Data Analytics; it contains a decent amount of account and finance classes and I'd like to also be a CPA in addition to my BS.

>> No.705884

>>704284
>don't say you browse 4chan
>don't browse it while your working or any internet site unless is work related
>don't be an entitled millennial, be respectful and know your place and your functions

>> No.705912

>>705657
>You can always find another job if this one doesn't work out.
you'd be surprised.

>> No.705944

>>705884
>>don't browse it while your working or any internet site unless is work related

Don't listen to this guy. I'm doing it right now!

>> No.705971

>>705878
It's different for each state (or country if you reside outside the US), but where I live, you need 24 hours of real accounting courses (not the introduction classes) to sit for the exam and 24 hours in general business classes. I'm guessing it's similar elsewhere. So while you may not need an accounting or business degree to sit for it, it's unlikely you'll have the right classes with an accounting or business degree.

>> No.705999

>>704284
Be professional, as in say hello to everyone. Offer a firm handshake,look them in the eye. Don't joke around too much. Be at work 5 minutes early, even if you have to sit in your car.
I got to work 20 minutes early nearly every day, stopped and got a breakfast biscuit somewhere, sat down and had a minute to myself before everything started. It was also nice to be the very first one there of the morning.
If someone's car breaks down at work, offer to help. Small gestures like that help build character and make people like you.
Do a tad more than your job requires.
Address your boss as Sir or Ma'am unless they tell you otherwise.

Tl;dr just be a courteous, hard working employee.

>> No.706004
File: 8 KB, 126x126, 1305185205154.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw hopefully going to have first real job within a year
>going to make new friends
Maybe they will play smash bros. with me.

>> No.706026

>>706004
Don't just make friends anon, even though jobs are great for that. Work hard. No matter what you do or where you, work hard, anon. Get accustomed to working while tired, in pain, uncomfortable, with anxiety, with stress, and etc. Think about what job it is, even if it's shitty or if it isn't real. Take it seriously, and try to improve at it no matter how much of a dead end it is. Take it with a laugh and smile, and you'll have friends and money.

Immerse yourself in it, and the positive traits you build will stay with you when you move on to a better one.

>> No.706032

>>705999
Are you serious?
This doesn't work anymore. And good luck calling a woman ma'am.

>> No.706054

>>706004
Or maybe they'll dump you to play a better vidya.

>> No.706061

>>706032
Why don't it work anymore?
Quite serious...

>> No.706297
File: 11 KB, 225x225, 52860180.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>705617
>Don't steal other people's food from the fridge
>Mfw I do this every day
>Mfw I'm an intern and don't give a fuck if I get fired

>> No.706298

>>705999
>Do a tad more than your job requires.
Worst advice ITT

Shitty trips

>> No.706310

>>704284

smoke crack during your lunch break. invite your boss to join you for the crack smoking session. be sure to be generous with your crack rocks.

>> No.706621

>>705944
>Don't listen to this guy. I'm doing it right now!
Jones, come in to my office please, we need to have a talk...

>> No.707018

>>706061
They don't respond to ma'am anymore. You have to call them m'lady and tip your fedora to her.

>> No.707050
File: 13 KB, 335x246, .jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Working as an office manager getting 30k a year cause no one would hire me in accounting.

Currently working on the cpa exam.

Is it possible once I pass the cpa to get a part time accounting job making more money with less hours? Say like 30hrs a week and 35k a year.

>> No.707065

>>704284
Don't listen to anyone in this thread with their typical 1964 advice. Your boss does not care about you and the company will fuck you as hard as they can.
What you need to do is work hard the first week or two, then start working smart. Get work done in less time and slack off the rest. Try as hard as possible to get your work done while still fucking over the company.
Look like you are always doing something. Eventually you will probably get fired or fucked over, so be prepared to get another job and always be looking for more opportunities.

>> No.707126

>>704284
This sounds obvious, but your job on the first few days is to:
> Make sure you have a decent haircut
> Take a shower, don't put on too much after-shave or cologne (one spray if you must, but better to abstain completely).
> Make sure you are clean shaven and your nails are trimmed and clean
> Put on some ironed clothes and shined shoes
> Get to work 5 minutes early
> Shake everyone's hand and be generally pleasant
> Make small talk with coworkers. Find out who is who and avoid associating the slackers and gossipers - your boss knows who these people are and you don't want to be known as that type of person.
> Don't do something stupid like browse 4chan or spend time on your smartphone at work.

First impressions are huge. Your first day is likely going to be an orientation for at least until lunch - here's your desk, here's your phone line, this is how you log into your outlook account, here are the spreadsheets you'll be looking at, etc.

The next half of the day you'll be given an easy project to work on as you get accustomed to the job.

If you're halfway intelligent, you'll quickly learn that the person who had the job before you had some retarded and inefficient practices that you can streamline. This will allow you to accomplish work faster and fuck off, but also turn around work quickly if an emergency arises and you need to impress your boss.

However, as you mostly will be a spreadsheet monkey, the times you really need to turnaround work quickly will be rare.

>> No.707388
File: 387 KB, 269x270, 1400127249067.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>704316
S-should I peek in on him to compare first, and then make my urinal selection based on the results?

Are we talking flacid vs hard? If hard, should I try to get him aroused for a more accurate comparison?

>> No.707399

>>704284

SMOKE CRACK COCAINE. TRUST ME I KNOW JUST WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Regards,
Warren Buffet