[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 58 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
675561 No.675561 [Reply] [Original]

Do you have to be a sociopath to be successful?

>> No.675562

Maybe if if it's illegitimate success.

>> No.675563

No.

>> No.675566

>>675563
But the most successful people are sociopaths.

>> No.675567

>>675566
Do you think Gates and Buffett are sociopaths?

>> No.675572

>>675567
Probably

>> No.675590

>>675567
Bill Gates could definitely be a sociopath. Dude was a cutthroat in the 80s-90s. Even though he's using his billions for charity now, what he's basically doing is buying a legacy that will go on after his death, which is the only thing that will really matter in the long run. He wants a bigger chapter in the history books, something wealth on its own can't guarantee. Its very self-serving, but extremely beneficial to others at the same time obviously.

>> No.675600

>>675567
The main expenditure of their charity is using the money to petition the govts of the world to do things that bill gates wants done. Like common core and mandatory monsanto crops. bill obviously thinks he can tell the rest of the world what to do.

>> No.675601

>>675590

this.

I do think most millionaires and prob 97% of billionaires are sociopaths.

just think about it, once you are rich? Why keep working to get richer? why not just retire and use some of your spare time to help the starving children?

why? cause they are obsessed with power sociopaths.

>> No.675602
File: 24 KB, 400x462, 1412127474975.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>675561
No. You just need to be good at what you do, or good in what you offer.

>> No.675603

>>675600

Although true, that isn't their main expenditure.

>> No.675606

>>675601
Have you considered that maybe they just enjoy doing what they do?

>> No.675607

>>675601

People who get rich didn't make it because they had that mentality. That's why 99% of people fail. Their goal is to retire as soon as they complete step 1. They have no motivation or ambition to have a long successful business or a career. An athlete doesn't think "Man if I just become a starting NFL QB then retire after my first season."

>> No.675644

>>675561
There are advantages and disadvantages.

It is better to be mentally healthy and simply choose to plot and analyze things like a sociopath would, rather than actually be a sociopath, you would get the advantages without the disadvantages. Avoiding impulsive behavior, being patient and taking the time to learn things, not indulging in neurotic behavior, not accidentally revealing yourself to be a sociopath to anyone intelligent enough to notice.

>> No.676188

>>675607
The first question I get 90% of the time about my business is "O are you building it to sell it off?"

Fuck no, I didn't put my life, and pretty much all of my early twenties into it to sell it for a measly fucking 5-10m.

It's probably the biggest thing I hear from people who don't own a business, is when am I going to sell it.

>> No.676265

>>675561
Learn about ethics and where they come from. They basically come from biology making us feel good or bad, it's chemical signals and irrelevant. If you have a greater goal, just suppress your feels. You need to do that to be successful anyway, so you don't serve your short term preferences and let depression and anxiety get in your way. May as well throw out sympathy and remorse too.

>>675572
>>675590
>>675601
How do you need to be a sociopath to do these things. Non sociopaths can be fucked up too, and Gates isn't even fucked up. LBJ was a sociopath. I'm sure some sociopaths are billionaires but I don't think it's a distinguishing feature.

>> No.676296

>sensed something last night, started verbally picking at my gf, broke up with her, kikd a girl from soc and fell asleep
>forget it the next morning, gf ends up going through phone and finds it, is pissed
>periodically pick at her, insult her, hit her at one point
>couple hours ago talk about what I like about being with her, she says she doesn't like how i'm judgemental and mean
>ask a how might we question - how might we prevent that?
>come up we with a 'safety' word
>she says I'll mock her if she uses it, tell her that's a preconceived barrier and we have to embrace possible failure to build from there
>create a clear, concise vision statement for our relationship

>> No.676297

>>676265
Ethics come from a societal imprint, they're otherwise useless to a pragmatic worldview
When you are born, mostly unconscious, extremely basic in needs and wants - what feels good is good, what feels bad is bad
Before I could remember I beat my little cousin bloody with a shoe and, for some reason, I doubt I felt guilt

>> No.676301

>>675561
No, but it helps.

>> No.676308
File: 182 KB, 600x435, frabz-MAXIMUM-AUTISM-5c6802[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>675561
no you have to be an asperger..

>> No.676341

>>676297
Partially environmental, but those people in society got it from somewhere. isolated cultures have similar ethics systems. It originally comes from biology and feels.

>> No.676510

The problem with sociopaths is that they don't know when to stop. They are incredibly good liars, but they always take it too far because they have no limits. People lose therefore trust in them and that's where they fail.

>> No.676871

>>676341
It just comes from "hey don't beat or steal from each other or it will all turn ugly". If someone can go on doing thug shit and not get busted, he's good to go.

>> No.677189

ITT: morons who don't know what a word means but use it anyway.

>> No.677222

>>675566
Pal that has been ridiculously misrepresented. The study didn't find that most CEOs are sociopaths it found that there was a higher percentage of them in the CEO world than in lower jobs.

That higher percentage was 4%. Only 4% of CEOs are sociopaths.

So no, you do not need to be a sociopath.

>> No.677253

>>676341
A byproduct of living in a community; purely environmental

>>677222
I'd be more interested in looking at successful founders
Ellison, Jobs, Gates come to mind

CEO's are largely incompetent

>> No.677265

>>676296
Aw man this is me. I'm better, but all I used to do to my poor gf was nitpick everything she did.
>you didn't ask about my day again
Stupid shit, I know I'm needy but are we sociopaths too?

>> No.677282

>>677265
Different ID, but idk lol
I wouldn't call what I do nitpicking, it's more like interrogating her while being sharply insulting

>this morning talk about how I'd still love her if she was in a wheelchair
>start singing 'if I go crazy then will you still call me superma..'
>'you are crazy', she said this seriously, not eve even in a coy or mean way

>> No.677287

>>677265

Thats not sociopathic, thats just pathetic and needy. Sociopath =/= insecure.