[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 14 KB, 399x286, 1347634471308.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
668393 No.668393 [Reply] [Original]

>parents never taught me what I needed to do to be something more than a wage slave
>parents never taught me or guided me in the right way to think about things
>parents never taught me what I should do in college to progress towards a success
>only realize after the fact all the things I should have done

So I just got rejected from a pre med program because of some low undergrad GPA. I tried my fucking hardest bros. I feel that if my parents werent minum wage laborers without an education I could have started much further ahead. Granted, a lot of it is my own responsibility, but a lot of students that hot accepted into the program all share in common that they had educated, successful and nourishing environments growing up. What the fuck bros, I didnt ask to be born into an uneducated fucking lower class family. Fuck this.

>> No.668409

Bitching about your parents won't do you anymore good.

My parents were wage slaves their entire lives and they never invested a single penny of their money because "we don't trust banks". My dad still keeps almost 50k in cash hidden in a box under the flooring in the basement.

It's all on you now.

Sit down and strategize about what you need to do to get back on track. You have the internet at your disposal. There is no excuse anymore.

>> No.668410

then either don't have children or if you do, try to be as educated as you can as guide them as much as you can from your own failures.

>> No.668412
File: 205 KB, 1280x1847, 1411565141468.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>668393

>yfw your parents' parents gave them less than your parents have given you

be the first to end the cycle in your family, anon

>> No.668417
File: 650 KB, 3000x1833, 1422692523841.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>668409
He's right.

OP what's done is done now it's up to you to make the decisions that will change your current standing in society. Sure your parents may not have really helped you get to certain things (I still wish I had asked my father a lot more questions about life before he died) but that point is long gone now. You can either lay back and take life straight up the ass or you can stand up and make something out of your current situation. Invest your time in a trade school It's not like we have a literal fuck ton of doctors in the market now anyways.

>> No.668424

>>668393
your parents did everything within their power to provide for you and you instead became an ungrateful faggot. I hope you get aids from a giant nigger dick and then get cancer and before you die in your hospital bed some psycho comes in and lights you on fire but you survive and they cure your cancer and aids but you suffer for the rest of your life.

>> No.668438

>>668393

same OP.

my mother was abandoned to care for her quadriplegic mother at the age of 13.

she married the first dumbass she met at the age of 18, a 32 year old construction worker.

i grew up being brought job to job doing manual labor. noone in my family has had any success or college degrees.

i was the first one to go to college, i did well but i stupidly thought doing well in college meant getting a good job.

i now see how wrong i was. i could have been succeeded at anything if i had support or a rolemodel or anything besides digging ditches and being hit by a drunk

this might interest you

search the following:

"Surname Status: Elite Families Stay Elite for Centuries"

they did a study using 1000 years of history and discovered it takes 600-900 years for a family to transition from one socio-economic class to the next.

>> No.668460

>>668438
>it takes 600-900 years for a family to transition from one socio-economic class to the next

Bullshit, it takes one man (yes, MAN) with the right capabilities to start a dynasty.
Even if he does not get "rich" but only middle class, the next generation will become upper middle class or rich, provided they are properly brought up and educated.

>> No.668464

My family members have, in no particular order:

>A deep seated fear of investing because they think its a scam (all but my mom think this)
>A notion that entrepreneurship is something that happens to a special class of other people (my dad is especially bad about it)
>A belief that education is a scam (my aunts only)
>A belief that middle-class living is best attained by blue collar labor rather than recognizing that the period from the 50's to the 80's was a historical aberration thanks to unions and novel economic conditions in the US

It sucks for them, but you can get out from under it and end the cycle man.

>> No.668468

I'd rather grow up dirt poor and make it on my own than be born into luxury and inherit millions like some fucking money parasite who is a slave to its own elitist hive mind

>> No.668469

>>668393
Christ just nut up and apply to that Dr. Ross school on that sick island all those poker players and hackers get their second citizenships on. It's accredited in the US. Party hard, come back, work hard and you'll be fine
http://www.umhs-sk.org/

>> No.668472

>>668393
>>668409
>>668464
At least your parents didn't treat you horribly and beat/abuse the shit out of you to make you grow up all fucked up with anxiety and problems making relationships.

Wasn't really poor except in early childhood but I have a feeling that's why I'm kind of a fuckup now and could've easily become far more successful, although that's at least mostly my fault.

Just work with what you got bro, we'll all make it if we desire it enough.

>> No.668521

>>668460

Read the article.

On average it historically takes a family 20-30 generations to jump to the next socio-economic group.

There are always going to be outliers. That doesn't invalidate historic trends.

>> No.668524

>>668521
On average because people are so lazy.

Are you telling me to takes even more than 1 generation to get out of the lower class? Hell no it just takes some knowledge from investopedia and going to college on financial aid and you're set and so are your kids.

>> No.668527

>>668393
There's always gonna be someone who had it better than you, what's the point in comparing yourself to them?

Also, never forget that, yes they did beneficial stuff thanks to their environment, but they actually DID that stuff while you and your pleb buddies were smoking joints and playing soccer. Socio-economic conditions are a realy thing, but never make the mistake of conflating that with personal merit.

>> No.668531

>>668393
Well that sucks.

Noe stop being a pussy with an external locus of control and move on like a man.

>> No.668535

>>668524

Ok thanks for sharing your feelings but we are talking about history, trends in data and scientifically verifiable facts.

If you have the secrets to defying these trends why arent you becoming a billionaire right now?

>> No.668539

>>668535
How can it possibly take several generations to get out of poverty? Especially when it's easier than ever now due to financial aid and countless grants?

Sure it makes sense if you're born in the middleages or at least no later than the 1700's but that makes no sense in today's world.

Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of millionaires are self-made already defeats your argument.

>> No.668562

My parents never did any of that. Hell, I grew up with a single mother. She's worked her entire life, and is soon going into retirement. She hasn't a single penny in retirement savings.

I'm trying to make it just so I can supply her with a decent retirement. I come from a poor family, poor cousins, poor everything. Hell, we didn't have a TV until about four years ago.

Don't blame your family. Read, learn, and work hard to become rich. Then you can protect them, and provide for them. This is what is most honorable in life.

>> No.668586

>Mom brought up in a dysfunctional family
>Dad brought up in a slightly less dysfunctional family
>Dad was a part-time mechanic and mental hospital orderly, ironically he also developed schizophrenia
>Mom was mostly a stay at home mom
>Dad killed himself when I was 7
>We were on social security while my mom went to school and worked full time to become a nurse
>never had any time to raise me
>had no goals, work ethic, social skills

I ended up dropping out of high school and becoming full blown NEET. Now, I'm 26 and I finished an engineering degree, and I have a full time job although it's not very high paying; I chose it because it's a stable, low stress job. People that become rich aren't antisocial losers like me.

But nonetheless I guess I would qualify as lower middle class, which is a socioeconomic ladder step up from where my family was. We were dirt poor.

>> No.668620

>>668393

All I hear is a bunch of Gen crY whining. Man the fuck up. I came from lower class parents too and got a useless history degree, but managed to find my niche in consulting for a great salary. If you really want to break from your parent's trajectory, look beyond degrees and W-2 jobs.

>> No.668631

>>668393
Then suck it up and get rich.

Your not where you want to be because of your situation, its because of your mindset.

Stop following the sheep and become your own Shepard.

>b-but its all my parents fault

No its yours

>> No.668634

>>668620

>consulting

Sure am tired of this buzzword. What the fuck does consulting even mean?

>> No.668636

>>668634
Its not a buzzword, it's a legitimate service for businesses, dipshit.

>> No.668653

>>668634

>"consulting" is a buzzword

you're retarded

>> No.668672

>>668393
>blaming anyone but yourself for not knowing something in the internet age
Do you want to feel better or actually improve?

>> No.668809

why do people assume BOOTSTRAPS always works

it's like, damn. just scream BOOTSTRAPS or HARDEN THE FUCK UP at someone and they'll metamorphose overnight from neet into a beautiful STEM degree holder that'll laugh at poor people along with you while deadlifting

>> No.668856

>>668539
>the fact that the vast majority of millionaires are self-made
If you're gonna quote this study:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2012/04/20/most-wealthy-individuals-earned-not-inherited-their-wealth-2/
I have to point to you it is complete bullshit and doesn't say what you think it does. This is self-reported.
Basically every chump who inherited a $900k company and made $100k with it is gonna consider he made the money "by himself".

>> No.668895
File: 50 KB, 589x628, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>668393
>blaming you parents for your own mistakes that you had 100% control over

Fuck you, you fucking pathetic piece of shit. You grew up in an age of Internet and massive MASSIVELY amounts of information and articles publishes every fucking minute about self development, career success, how to study, and all of this shit. And guess what, 60something % of millionaires were born with poor ass parents just like yours, and did not inherit their wealth (source:NY Times, "the millionaire next door"). And then you come on HERE seeking validation? Are you fucking kidding me?

Here's a suggestion: shut your fucking mouth. Smack yourself in the fucking face, feel it hurt a little. Make a 5-year plan about how you're getting into med school and what program you want to do. Consider double majoring in something else, or using the credits for something badass as fuck like biomedical engineering pre-reqs. Take full responsibility for your fucking life. Your mistakes, sure, other people can impact them but it's ultimately how YOU handle them, learn from them. And here's a fucking pro tip: I've never met or heard of a strong person who had an easy fucking past. So shut the fuck up and get the fuck off 4chan because every second you spend here, there is a fucking guy who made more mistakes than you busting his ass to beat you out for that med school spot, or that job, or that girlfriend, or that engineering major spot, or that research assistant job, or that internship. I don't wanna hear your fucking bullshit because right now there are thousands of people in the ghetto, a hospital or in jail who are begging God for the same fucking opportunity that you have right now. Fuck you.

>> No.668902

>tfw dad was an engineer who became an oil tycoon and an investor on the side
>tfw he gave me excellent academic, career and finance advice all the time
>tfw he opened mutual funds for me the same week I was born
>tfw he taught me how to invest
>tfw would always answer any financial questions ever
>tfw he taught me the value of hard work and that nothing comes for free

feels good

>> No.668914

>>668409

Strategize.

This is the key word for people of our kind. There is no way in hell a misfortunate laborer-child that is way above his surroundings can get ahead of rivals that were brought up in optimal environments. Chances are that we are genetic trash when we grew up in poor ass houses. I have realized we will never be able to compete with the top head-to-head. But strategy and planning will be our greatest weapons. Learn to use the system to your own advantage, OP - and everyone in a similar situation.

And be patient. We can't run this marathon at a sprinter's speed.

>> No.669818

>>668902
>feels good to have a fireside chat, with family, over a mug of warm cocoa, and share stories about money.

>> No.670046

>>668468
Are you a sadist or why do you crave for life to be a struggle and uphill battle? I imagine you're the type that's obsessed with "making it on your own", as if that had any value to anyone but your own delusional ego.

>> No.670048

>>668524
>On average because people are so lazy.
Hardly. It's because everyone can't be the entrepreneurial genius inventor.

Most people are/were dumb and will thus not manage to make the jump between classes and ensure that future generations stay there.

It's also worth noting that a lot of it boils down to luck. Lots of industrialists/aristocrats have fallen from grace during history, with some of them never recovering. You can't guarantee a 1000-year legacy.

>> No.670059

>>668472
This is pretty much the story of my life. Poor, abusive mother, absent alcoholic father. Mental and emotional problems. Most likely fucked for life, regardless of what I try.

>> No.670078

You have had the internet for the last twenty years. There is no one to blame for ignorance but yourself.

>> No.670081

>>668464

education is a scam

>> No.670086
File: 34 KB, 672x352, 1421496418891~2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>668393
>get futureproof STEM degree at best uni in the country
>didn't do any internships, depressed for all four years at uni, finished exams at the end of last year
>apply for dozens of relevant positions and programs
>now I'm just desperately hoping to just hear back about a call-centre interview for a 6-month job

Fucking over-proliferation of degrees