[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 167 KB, 490x547, 1407402311098.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
632062 No.632062 [Reply] [Original]

E-commerce general -
What are you selling / what do you want to sell?

What steps have you taken to get it started so far?

Are you profitable?

How much did you spend on getting it set up?

How are you learning? Trial and error, reading, courses, mentors?

Post website:

>> No.632094

>Nootropics, gadgets to improve brain

>set up website, tested advertising, gotten a number of suppliers to re-sell. Still learning about how to get good conversion rates and a lot of traffic. SEO is looking like a struggle
Are you profitable?
Yes, considering I'm spending very little on it so it's not too hard to make a few sales every now and then
>about $300 - mostly on programming/hosting the domain and fixing up the site
>Mostly reading online courses and trial and error. Wish I knew more people who were doing e-commerce
Post website:
lifehackgoods.com pls b gentle

>> No.632104

made a website but getting most of my sales from ebay.
making around 4k a month for the past 6 months.
cost me approx. 3000 to buy my first order of stock and set up. Ebay is taking a fair share of my profits but it seems to work for now.
had a friend who runs a physical shop selling protein and gym stuff so I got him to help out. Paid for some ecommerce course and it was a total waste because it was mostly outdated.

Post website:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/nakd/ is my ebay site, nakdliftmore.com/ is the one I set up

>> No.632139

>>632062
>E-commerce general -
>What are you selling / what do you want to sell?
Software as a service. Monthly billing is sweet. Fuck ads and fuck the general population. This will be fore power players.

>What steps have you taken to get it started so far?
Working on the webpage daily after work. That might get knocked back when this semester starts, but I'm taking an easy course. I got the page to a really good point on holiday PTO. Now it's just refining before launch, prepping for usage statistics / testing, data layout, taking people's money, hosting...

>Are you profitable?
No, I'm paying 10 dollars in hosting each month. That will go to 30 at launch when I switch to Amazon.

>How much did you spend on getting it set up?
Just time and 10 dollars a month for a few months. I gave up my overseas torrent VPS and moved it to a better deal (more processor / mem for the money) in the US. So I'm really not spending anything I wouldn't have anyways, besides time. Oh yea, I bought a .ooo domain, that was around 30 dollars.

>How are you learning? Trial and error, reading, courses, mentors?
Program. See if it works. Repeat. I'm reading a lot of books about entrepreneurship and start ups. I don't see why people need a million dollars to launch a webpage. I guess if they don't know how to program (quite common from the looks of it) or aren't motivated enough to do it their spare time.

>Post website:
Only on the dev site right now. I'll invite you fucks when I have something nice.

>> No.632184

>>632139
wait, what are you actually selling though?

>> No.632201

>>632184
I see now a distinction between ecommerce and making money online.

It's a social intelligence application. It will help you do what doctors and politicians do - keep track of people you know, quickly look them up, view your notes, then be the sociopath you were born to be. It will also enable people to track their own data. If you wanted a detailed event log of your life, you could do it with this.

The free tier will have enough space to store about a month worth of data (in context of the application) and if you want more space you have to pay monthly or yearly. I will later release mobile apps that automate some of the data input and those will be for pay (or included in the monthly paid tier).

>> No.632205

>>632201
Would totally use, but I don't think you can make it secure enough for me without scaling.

>> No.632208

>>632201
Also what exactly does it do but log my activity can let me write about people I know?
I don't really see what you are adding here...

>> No.632216

>>632208
>Also what exactly does it do but log my activity can let me write about people I know?
Those details I would like to keep private for now. The data will be curated very well, so you can recall people's profiles with only a vague recollection of details about them.

>Would totally use, but I don't think you can make it secure enough for me without scaling.
Security is a big issue for me. I started looking into searching on encrypted data, but it's a bitch or comes down to users managing their own keys. Users managing their own keys would be a fucking nightmare and I'll work on the crypto revolution when I'm a millionaire. The only option is to harden the servers as much as possible and place your trust the me (good privacy policy, etc.). I think the general population is less concerned about storing their notes in clear text on the server. Crypto would break search pretty hard or be breakable.

That is why I'm straying away from the ad based model though. I don't think users would put detailed notes about people they know if they think I'm selling their data.

>> No.632226

>>632208
>I don't really see what you are adding here...

Also, keep in mind there are profitable apps on the market that are literally just lists. Grocery lists, todo lists. It's laughable because they're just a list that saves to disk and reloads.

I've presented new research at conferences, but when you do that, you're presenting for a very limited audience (1000 people who can understand the work, 200 people who see it, 5 who care).

I'm trying for simplicity and larger market now. It is absolutely just a contacts app on steroids, but I think the features that come with it make it worth using.

No one wants to put personal information into Facebook anymore because other people could see it. I want to create a private place where you can track your contacts' info really, really well.

>> No.632991

>thrift store clothing
>small inital investment for clothing and shipping supplies
Are you profitable?
>Finished 2014 at nearly $98,000 in sales
>pocketed $45k or so of that
>$500 for initial lot of clothing, another $500 or so for shipping supplies
>Selling on ebay is the easier thing you can do.

>> No.633368

>>632991
how did you start making sales on ebay? just listed stuff higher than what you bought it for and it took care of itself? no advertising or anything like that?

>> No.633428

>>632991
Holy fuck this is a good idea
Just buying shit at thrift stores and ebaying it