[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 627 KB, 1000x667, College.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
630217 No.630217 [Reply] [Original]

what should I major in that will make money without shit tons of debt?

>> No.630229

>>630217
I don't think you understand how college works.

You're going to come out with the same amount of debt regardless of major. Also, unless you pick a technical or engineering field, your major isn't tailored to what you're gonna have as a job

>> No.630263

I'm currently majoring in Elementary Education because I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting in a cubicle or in a little office. What do you like to do OP?

>> No.630266

maths

>> No.630268

>>630217
Social networking and developing connections.
No need to actually enroll.
Simply go to various campuses and connect with everyone important then have them connect you to other important people.

>> No.630273

Oil!

>> No.630430
File: 75 KB, 658x560, degrees.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>630217
>what should I major in that will make money without shit tons of debt?

Some majors make more than others, look into what people with various Bachelors make as a starting salary, 10 years out, 20 years out etc.

With that in mind, see what interests you. If you really love mathematical modeling, it makes no sense to be an English major. If you love to program, it makes no sense to be a physics major. And so on. Good EE majors, biology majors, CS majors, Petroleum engineering majors etc. can get jobs. Artists doing UX for phone apps and websites, corporate logos, 3d video game models can make money. So doing what excites you comes into play. But only somewhat. 99% of people I know say they're not good at math. No - it's just work. Reading Catcher in the Rye and writing three pages on what it's about is easy, getting through Calculus 101 is a little more difficult. If you major in English or Art you'll probably wind up working harder than someone with a CS degree if you want to make good money. Because a good CS major can make a good salary working 9 to 5, while an English major will have to hustle a lot more to make the same salary.

Also, consider the cost, plus the debt and the interest to. Get Pell grants. Go to a public school as opposed to private - you can always get a Masters at an expensive private school. Also, if you don't have the money to pay up front, instead of taking 4-5 classes a semester, you can take 1-3 classes a semester. It will take longer to graduate, but the debt will be less. You may time to work a part/full-time job as well.

Some kids go to a private school, get knee-deep in debt, major in music or something, go 1-2 years then drop out. Now you're on the hook for tens of thousands in loan payments, have no degree etc.

>> No.630443

>>630217

thumb through this article.. out just a couple days ago.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/pf/2015/01/27/best-jobs-2015/

I was happy to see my job, software architect, as the number 1 spot.

I would suggest you pick something that is at least in the top 100.

clearly anesthesiologists and orthopedic surgens at 400k and 600k a year are rolling in it.

There are a lot of retiring old baby boomers that will need knee and hip surgeries in the next 20 years.... no wonder those guys are rolling bank.

>> No.630459

I'm shit at Maths, and I just don't know what to do...

>> No.630474

>>630268
you're a fucking retard, go graduate from high school, your peers will never fucking give you connections, your best bet is sucking your professors cock, i'm getting a interview with a state auditor through one of them, and to get connections with professors guess what? you need to fucking enroll.

>> No.630477

>>630430
completely disagree with you about math. some peoples brains literally cannot process math. like me for example, im a hands on learner. with math, the sample problem is something i expect all future problems to look like. but they never do. formulas just dont seem to work for me when i apply them to future problems. I aced algebra till Quadratic functions then my grade plummeted down to a D. that shit just doesnt make any goddamn sense

ive also tried computer science and it might as well have been in japanese. thats a field that is definitely not for everyone. it makes 0 sense to me how people just pull command lines out of their ass and it somehow works. theres no dictionary or glossary of terms. they just know. yea fuck that shit

>> No.630484

>>630477

Actually they know those things because there is a dictionary and glossary of terms..

/?
/help
apropos
man

the list of resources goes on and on.. as well as google my friend.

most programming languages these days have extensive, auto generated, help libraries as well.

the thing is.. you have to be smart enough to understand abstract concepts, and you have to be willing to put in the effort to teach yourself.

everyproblem in cs is a new math problem that you haven't experienced.

where you are failing is in logical thought and problem mapping, reduction, and algorithms.

but whatever...

so what if you are crap at math. go be a lawyer or something - those guys get paid really well to basically just be ass hats and waste people's time and money.

you sound like you'll be FANTASTIC AT IT.

>> No.630495

well if you're inventive get a engineering degree and come up with some bullshit that dead billy mays can sell

>> No.630572

>>630217
Go to Hocking College in nelsonville ohio. Great programs and inexpensive.

>> No.630792

>>630484
CS degree doesn't do jack shit without years of experience to be honest. A lot of people are getting software jobs without the degree because they did project and show they have the ability to do it.

>> No.630798
File: 118 KB, 1067x653, 1412040540438.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>medicine
>top tier law or finance
>small business

enjoy upper middle class

>accounting CPA
>engineering
>some government jobs
>RN
>programming
>trades

enjoy comfortable middle class

>> No.630970

>>630798
fairly correct, CPA's make the same as lawyers though in private practice though, many of their duties overlap.

>> No.631175

>>630792
or having decent connection. You would be surprised by how many business people you can meet when half of your family is house keepers.

>> No.631296

Not OP but here is my situation:
>be veteranfag
>work for military as civilian
>good pay
>own home
> single no kids
> can't move forward in career though
>I have no degree
> work keeps me too busy to finish degree before GI Bill expires
> decided to sell house, resign job, and go back to school full time
So /biz/, with 10+ years experience in Logistics and Training Management, how far do you think a Bachelor's in Business Administration will take me?
>Also hope to go to graduate school for MBA immediately following undergrad studies

Good idea? Bad idea? why?

>> No.631300

>>630798
doctor and lawyer incur massive amount of debt, so unless daddy fronting for med or law school, you gotta consider the debt accumulated.

>> No.631303

>>630217
>Electrical/Chemical/Mechatronics Engineering

>Nurse

Otherwise, don't even bother to go to the college.

>> No.631307

Going to do computer science I think. I have a relative who will get me a job with the college so I can make some money and have some experience when I graduate. Is this a good plan?

>> No.631311

>>631300

The debt really isn't that bad if you're able to get into top tier law. The real question is whether you have the passion/drive to make it in top tier law... not just at school but as a career, as it's the sort of career that kills a lot of people.