[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 44 KB, 500x331, 66.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
595018 No.595018 [Reply] [Original]

How does /biz/ feel about silver bullion? Sure, it's not that valuable. But it's a very versatile fine metal in its uses.
>Used as an anti-microbial agent in dressings.
>Has incredible strength against widely varying temperature fluctuations in industrial uses.
>Is used in fine jewelry, which is always in demand.
>Is mainly an industrial metal.
>Demand for silver outweighs mining production.
>The price per ounce has been steadily increasing over the past three decades.
>Roughly 95% of the Silver that has already been mined has been used up.
>Is cheap right now compared to palladium, gold, and platinum.
>Will continue to rise in price as demand rises and supply dwindles.

And lastly, there's different ways to invest in silver.
>Physical Bullion
>Documentation of ownership of bullion that isn't in your physical possession.
>Stocks in silver mining companies.
>Silver coins, which also have collectable value.
As far as I see it, silver is a fine investment.

>> No.595030

Good break down OP

>> No.595031

>>595030
Thanks anon. Research pays off.

>> No.595039

>>595018
You forgot important things:

>market price is heavily manipulated
>subject to VAT in many countries
>will keep on dwindling in value with the strengthening of equities and USD

Platinum and palladium are better investments to me.

>> No.595049

>>595039

Platinum and Palladium are also subject to what you listed. But silver is lower in value, and thus more liquid and investable.

>> No.595059

I like it and own it. I enjoy collecting coins so it fits my hobby. I'm not concerned about price. I stack it in case ... you know ... the happening.

>> No.595079

>>595059
Yeah, I'm thinking the happening is nigh.

>> No.595294

>>595049
More importantly, I don't think platinum and palladium will collapse, even if platinum is somewhat weak these days. On the other hand, gold and silver won't recover soon, being less rare and less useful, and may go even lower.

The "lower in value = more liquid" thing is a fallacy IMO, if we're not talking about an apocalyptic situation.

>> No.595303

I'm going to buy ~$50 of silver just because it looks cool.

Any other reason is retarded.

>> No.595391

>>595018
If you buy now and hold long term, you'll do well.
It will inevitably be worth considerably more at some point in the future than it is today.
Just realised what an incredibly obvious statement this is.

>> No.595413

>>595294
Less useful? Fucking silver and gold is in everything that has circuitry in it. Nanotechnology is dependant on gold as it can be spun down to a thread a single atom thick and keep its conductivity. Solar panel production uses huge amounts of silver. Go back to your basement.

>> No.595435

>>595018
I've been stacking casually for about a year now, mostly in coins. I have around 70 ounces and I'm about to drop a few hundred dollars in some 10 oz bars. I try to diversify the types of coins I buy because they all have their different premiums.

Generally I'll buy only low premium coins when silver prices are low, and I'll buy high premium coins when silver prices are high. It's an efficient method because high premium coins keep their premiums, so when prices go low they only lose a small amount of their value.

As for why I invest in silver, it's basically all the reasons you have listed. I'm also very concerned that the dollar is doing too well lately and is bound to crash some time soon. I would suggest everyone buy up a lot of tangible assets

>> No.595445

>>595018
Silver looks pretty low at the moment, I've been thinking of buying a kilo and holding it for a few years

>> No.595454

>>595018
my mum just bought around 13k of silver

how fucked am i

>> No.595487

>>595413
I mean the abundance of gold and silver is not that useful. Silver and gold are more used for investing than for industry; while it's not true for palladium and platinum who are more rare, hence make less room for investors / speculators / manipulators who make the price of gold & silver collapse.

>> No.595500

>>595487
>Silver and gold are more used for investing than for industry
You're pulling facts out of your ass.
In 2013, demand for silver Coins & Bars (investments) was only 245.6 million ounces. The demand for Industrial Fabrication was over twice as much at 586.6 million ounces, and even the amount for Jewelry and Silverware alone is more than demand for Coins and Bars. Similar is true for gold.

You can find that on silverinstitute org/site/supply-demand and gold org/supply-and-demand/gold-demand-trends
All it took was a google search.

>> No.595547

Do you think a single small country could survive returning to the gold/silver standard, or would their entire money supply be immediately consumed by speculators and make everyday business difficult?

>> No.595565

>>595018
I wouldn't invest in either . Most unstable manipulated market there is. Capital means much more than silver and gold in this age.

>> No.595570

>>595565
Precious metals will outlast fiat currency.

>> No.595574

OP here, I just got off of work. Sorry for the absence. The posters on this thread have already argued about my points. Are there any other questions that need to be addressed?

>> No.595586

>>595565
>Most unstable manipulated market there is
Whether what you say is true or not, artificial price manipulation can't and never does last forever. In fact, the London Silver Fix just died a few months ago. There's only so much bullshit you can pump into a market before people do something about it.

It's also worth mentioning that once all this price manipulation ends, the price of silver will skyrocket because it's being undervalued way too much. Global demand has been surpassing supply yet the prices have been lowering. It's artificially losing value twice as fast as it should be growing.

>> No.595656

>>595435
I'm not understanding this, to be honest.

As far as premiums go, isn't that, well, useless?

The only way I understand metals buying is by their content. I don't understand why someone would pay more for american minted silver vs. canadian minted silver, for instance.

>> No.595658

>>595547
Gaddafi tried to something similar in regards to how his country traded oil.
He was murdered.

>> No.595714

>>595656
Premiums come about when a coin is rare or "special". And, some people (collectors) value this rarity and will pay alot for it. Therefore, buying coins with premiums aren't affected as much by drops in the price of the metal. As they are also valuable in numismatic terms.

>> No.595818

>>595018
So, whats happenning with silver prices? been dropping lately to $ 15 / ounce

>> No.595821
File: 38 KB, 413x395, 1373944390123.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Documentation of ownership of bullion that isn't in your physical possession.

>> No.595825

>>595818
Buy the fucking dip

>> No.595831

>>595821
Being able to hold physical bullion is wonderful.

What's your favourite? I like Zombucks and Maples the most, although most of my silver is Britannias.

>> No.595859

>>595831
Holding old Morgans in my hand makes me feel like a cowboy.

>> No.595913
File: 1.49 MB, 2560x1920, 2014-12-06 10.25.47.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>595831
>Being able to hold physical bullion is wonderful.
I've noticed a phenomenon since i started stacking where anyone that holds my PMs doesnt want to stop holding/feeling them. They know i will let them see/hold any PM i have so long as they ask, but they never want to leave them be.
-Lead has a similar density, yet people can't be bothered with lead. It can't be simply the way it feels in-hand that makes people act this way.
-Most of the people i know that are part of the phenomenon work with large amounts of money - bank teller, super market bookkeeper, HVAC accounts manager, etc but they drool once they get a hold of some silver. Based on that, it can't be the monetary value that attracts them to PMs.
Anyone know why people act like this around PMs?

>> No.595970

>>595913
It's probably just something different which they know holds great value. They'd probably do the same with a gemstone.

>> No.596009
File: 78 KB, 540x405, guatemalanfarmerwithgmcorn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>595018
the market already has this information and has priced silver in accordingly

you could list 100 different uses for frozen concentrated orange juice but that wouldn't mean the price will increase, silver isn't any different, so why aren't you talking about FCOJ?

Unless you have information that the market doesn't or a better analysis then there are no good opportunities to be had from silver.

>> No.596013
File: 1.08 MB, 297x168, Soon.....gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>595831
>although most of my silver is Britannias.
>tfw I saw the 2003 Britannia and had to have one
>>595913
>>595970
This guy knows why. Its the same for guns, gold, whatever.

>mfw i find security almost as fun as the valuables themselves
>mfw I still can spend hours comparing different safes, burial spots, safe deposit boxes, the history of the impenetrable fortress of The Federal Reserve and Fort Knox (inb4 the gold isnt there anymore), etc

>> No.596762

>>596009
>comparing a non-renewable recource with a renewable one
I hope you dont do this, /biz/raeli.

>> No.597622

>>595831
I'm a PAMP 1kg bar kind of guy.

>> No.597624

>>595831
>>595913
it's not just that.

these companies that sell you "silver ownership certificates" and "keep your silver in a vault" located "somewhere" have been known to not actually have enough silver for all their clients. They're selling an empty promise.

If you don't have the silver in your hand or in a safety deposit box, you don't have any silver.

>> No.597697 [DELETED] 
File: 10 KB, 247x200, 1366989408695.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>>595831
>>>595913
>"silver ownership certificates"
>"keep your silver in a vault" located "somewhere"
I can't believe people fall for this shit. What's the point in investing in PMs if they're just collecting paper? If they want to own paper that may or may not be a representation of a PM (or other non-perishable commodities), why not just collect cash/bank notes?

>> No.597703 [DELETED] 

>>597624
>"silver ownership certificates" >"keep your silver in a vault" located "somewhere" I can't believe people fall for this shit. What's the point in investing in PMs if they're just collecting paper? If they want to own paper that may or may not be a representation of a PM (or other non-perishable commodities), why not just collect cash/bank notes?

>> No.597705

>>597624
>"silver ownership certificates"
>"keep your silver in a vault" located "somewhere"
I can't believe people fall for this shit. What's the point in investing in PMs if they're just collecting paper? If they want to own paper that may or may not be a representation of a PM (or other non-perishable commodities), why not just collect cash/bank notes?

>> No.598313

>>595018

>"Not valuable"
>proceeds to list values

>> No.598395

>>595831
OPM and NTR bars are cool.

>> No.598438

>>595018
>>Roughly 95% of the Silver that has already been mined has been used up.

I dont believe this crap.

If it was already that used up then the price would rise. Silver is used in a lot of stuff.

>> No.598492

Where do you keep your metals? A safe deposit box at a bank or a safe at your house?

>> No.598497

>>598492

Im renting a place while I go to college, so I keep the silver I buy in a small safety deposit box my bank gives me for no fee as part of the perks for my bank account.

>> No.598498

>>598497
Which bank? sounds like a good deal.

>> No.598499

>>598498
Canada fag here

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/accounts/chequing-accounts/all-inclusive.jsp

They want a $5,000 minimum monthly balance or $24.95 monthly fee but I just store my emergency cash fund in there so I don't get charged.

>> No.598510

Stupid question, how does one buy/sell silver without getting shit prices? Every place I've looked sells it way about the price of the raw silver and buys it way under the price.

>> No.598560

>>595570

True, and let's not forget that the South is gonna rise again, and Jesus is coming again soon.

>> No.598564

>>598510
Of course dealers have to buy low and sell high. They have to make money some how.
In all seriousness, the best place you can look is Reddit. /r/pmsforsale has a lot of traders and you can find a lot of silver for around spot price because most of the people selling are just in need of a quick buck and could care less about premiums.

>> No.599179

>>595714
but then what is the point of investing, if it just means you have a good chance at breaking even?

>> No.599729 [DELETED] 

>>599179
You're not supposed to think of it as 'breaking even' you're supposed to think of it as 'insurance'. When you buy bullion bars you're exposing yourself to the whims of the market. If prices go up, you make a profit but if prices go down you lose some money. With coins, if the price of the metal goes up you can sell those coins solely based on the metal content and make a profit - but if the price of the metal goes down those coins still retain a lot of their value due to their historical significance or rarity, and so you can still sell the coins at a higher rate than the metal is going for.

Plus, if the coins sell individually, the seller can charge a premium on each individual coin, maximizing their profits. The catch is that coins generally come with a higher premium than bars, so the turn-around time is longer.

>> No.599732 [DELETED] 

You're not supposed to think of it as 'breaking even' you're supposed to think of it as 'insurance'. When you buy bullion bars you're exposing yourself to the whims of the market. If prices go up, you make a profit but if prices go down you lose some money. With coins, if the price of the metal goes up you can sell those coins solely based on the metal content and make a profit - but if the price of the metal goes down those coins still retain a lot of their value due to their historical significance or rarity, so you can still sell the coins at a higher rate than the metal is going for.

Plus if the coins sell individually, the seller can charge a premium on each individual coin, maximizing their profits. The catch is that coins generally come with a higher premium than bars and so the turn-around time is longer

>> No.599736

>>599179
You're not supposed to think of it as 'breaking even' you're supposed to think of it as 'insurance'. When you buy bullion bars you're exposing yourself to the whims of the market. If prices go up, you make a profit but if prices go down you lose some money. With coins, if the price of the metal goes up you can sell those coins solely based on the metal content and make a profit - but if the price of the metal goes down those coins still retain a lot of their value due to their historical significance or rarity, so you can still sell the coins at a higher rate than the metal is going for.

Plus if the coins sell individually, the seller can charge a premium on each individual coin, maximizing their profits. The catch is that coins generally come with a higher premium than bars and so the turn-around time is longer

>> No.599792
File: 35 KB, 460x720, Money.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>595018
Silver bullion is VAT taxed in a lot of countries unless minted, so gold has less overhead.

>> No.599805

>>599792
>tfw I've spent £800 on silver and 20% of that was VAT.

Britannias and Maples are pretty tho.

>> No.599958

I like silver bullion. Good store of value.

>> No.600025

>>595018
I buy Silver not only as an investment but because it is fucking Nice to have à kilo of silver in your hand.

Best investment imo regarding to precious metals

>> No.600919 [DELETED] 

test

>> No.600929

>>600025

>I buy something not for an investment
>It's the best investment!

You're a fucking idiot.

>> No.600947

>>600929
read again retard.
>not ONLY as an investment

>> No.600955

I started my silver collection today with 10 1oz rounds. I wanted a 10oz bar but the store didn't have any. It looks and feels great, it even has a satisfying sound. I'm betting that silver will double your money faster than the s&p will if you bought now.

>> No.600983
File: 1.09 MB, 4320x3240, eng_us_prospector_1ozt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>599736
case in point, the Engelhard "American Prospector" 1ozt round. A german company bout the mint and now they only mint for industrial applications. These rounds are so rare they usually go for $5 over spot even if they aren't in mint condition.

>> No.602201

Its shit only retards would buy

>> No.602226

>>597705
Hell, if you're just collecting certificates of "things you own", why not the stock market?