[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 45 KB, 700x485, scum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
58259 No.58259[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Mark my words- 3d printing will fail.

>> No.58309

>>58259
Immature technology, like cryptocurrency, but it's a sound idea.

Certain parts are too intricate to be built with traditional forms of automation, and this is where 3d printing style technologies come in handy. Plastic might be a bad material, but I have a feeling one day we'll use bound carbon nanotubes (somehow) to create components that are as strong as steel but can be moulded anyway we see fit.

If the technology becomes cheap, you can set a couple hundred of these up in a factor, push them all to the next stage to be fit by a machine, which is currently very possible.

Where 3d printing absolutely will fail is the domestic market. Regular people will not be granted a license to a 3d printer and even factories will have to declare their 3d printers and show, to a watchdog, all the files loaded onto these printers. We don't want people printing guns or (dare I say...) copyrighted material.

>> No.58913

I rode DDD up after it dropped into the 50s, then sold after whatever the hell caused that rally last week. PE ratio is insane, it's a total gamble.

>> No.60027

>>58309
I seriously hope you are joking about the printing a gun thing.
Also, as for printing copyrighted materials, you can already print copyrighted materials on a normal 2d printer and those certainly aren't illegal.

>> No.60085

>>60027
I'm not. One of the biggest barriers to this technology is that you could print a gun, shoot someone (they last at least one shot), melt the gun down, laugh at the cops overwhelming lack of evidence on you.

>> No.60255

>>60085
look every tech brings with it the potential for crime, remember CD writers

that doesn't mean the gov't will just ban everything because of the mere potential for misuse

besides most crimes are committed with black market weapons anyways so ballistic tracking is pointless

>> No.60284

>>60255
CD copying represented a financial loss to an industry that should have actually died that point.
Unlicensed, easily accessible guns represents a potential to increase gun related crime.

Unless your government is corrupt as shit, they don't give a squirt of shit about civil offences, but when people start dying and actual, indictable crimes start being committed, the government has a responsibility to act.

>> No.60310

>>60284
not gonna happen, people aren't going to start shooting each other with 3d printed guns anytime soon, there are plenty of objects people can commit murder with, knives etc. And black market weapons offer a cheaper, more effective alternative to waiting to print out a single use gun that you aren't even sure will work property

I mean think about it, if you really wanted a plastic gun, the instructions are out there, you could build one in your garage tomorrow, no 3d printer required

>> No.60502

>>58259
No, actually you're wrong.

A chicken in every pot, and a cap in every ass.

>> No.60906
File: 296 KB, 515x510, BobPage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just wait till we have nanotechnology.

>> No.60996

>>60284
>Unlicensed, easily accessible guns represents a potential to increase gun related crime.

You mean like the unlicensed, easily accessible guns that are already out there and already being used by criminals?

Get the fuck on /k/ and educate yourself, comrade

>> No.61029

>>58259
The only reason 3d printing fails is because people lack the creativity to fully utilize the technology.

You need to sell 3d printers in bulk and shit quality as Hipster Dildo Generators. Steve Jobs is a role model to us all!

>> No.61053

3d printing can only fail for everyone if big companies lobby for regulation making it so only they can use it.

For a couple thousand dollars you can have a printer, 3d scanner, computer and feed stock. Make anything you want from your own designs to what you can get off the internet. Soon you will be able to get machines to grind up and melt common house hold plastics into more feed stock.

>> No.61093

>>60906
Exactly my thoughts. This shit will revolutionize the world.

>> No.61108

>>61053
I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS DISTOPIAN FUTURE!!! =)

>> No.61137

>>61108
Philadelphia already banned printing guns in city limits. It isn't a far stretch to see established companies get 3d printing de facto banned by getting a special license to own and operated 3d printers passed. In the guise of gun control. You'll see some democrat saying how his law will prevent guns deaths. The license will be expensive enough to price out private citizens and small business.

>> No.61146

>>61137
Make your own then, it can't be that hard.

>> No.61161

>>61146
ATF will raid your house like you are Osama Bin Laden. Arrested for unlicensed 3printer, intent to illegally make and distribute firearms, terrorism charges. Wife sees you again at your funeral in 40 years.

>> No.61170

3d printing won't fail but it won't make the entire manufacturing industry obsolete. It'll be just like 2D printing industry. You can print out documents at home but some stuff is still mass produced because economies of scale still exist. Also 2d printers suck dick, and so will the 3d versions. Though they aren't that different from a CNC mill.

>> No.61177

>>61137
Exactly, there is a ton of things that are either illegal (pill presses in Aus) or raise extreme trouble with the law (diesel and fertiliser) that have legitimate uses.

It's easy to see how developments in what materials can be printed could drive 3D printing to becoming heavily restricted.

Once they are capable of printing weapons, drugs and explosives the governments will react.

>> No.61195
File: 13 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>61137
>>61161
My city bans piracy within city limits (rather, the US bans it within its political boundaries) but I still do it, as do countless other people. You can get away with that kind of stuff if it can be kept discreet.

If there's a law against having pic related in your yard, you might have a harder time keeping that under wraps. But for something relatively small, the government will never be able to stop it completely.

See the war on drugs as an example.

>> No.61202

>>61195
And who sold you the 3d printer?

And who sold you the printing supplies?

And which computer program did you use to create the source file?

>> No.61254
File: 15 KB, 434x366, 1366961803928.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>58259
There's already an app for Galaxy mobiles where you take multiple photos of an object and it sends it into 3d rendering software where you can alter it and print.

It's still in development but there's great potential. Perhaps not among consumers but in manufacturing it should take off

>> No.63834
File: 58 KB, 700x479, 1389198809846.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>61093
>2039
>Be virgin, 40 something NEET that's pissed at the world
>Build self replicating nanobots that consume all carbon based life forms
>Destroy all life on earth

soon..

>> No.63879

>3D printing
>Fail

Considering that the first steps toward 3D printing meat products and organs for human transplants, we're a scant 30 years (maybe less) away from Star Trek replicators and will completely re-tool the way we consume food. All anyone would need to make food is all the base elements of life: Water, Carbon, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Sulphur. You'd need just these and a database of recipies.

This will also harbor in a fantastic labor crisis as when that time comes the portion of the service industry relegated to food consumption, (restaurants, groceries, agriculture, and the transportation between all of these) will no longer be relevant. The only thing that MIGHT still be around are high-skill chefs who can cook decent meals.