[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 95 KB, 653x490, IMG_1011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
57208409 No.57208409 [Reply] [Original]

Incoming advice blog. I already own my house with 200k left on mortgage. Make a shitty 50k a year. I like where I live in the city. It’s convenient in a very nice neighborhood. My dad wants me to move into the sticks 45 mins away and says I can build a mobile home on his property that he would eventually move into and my family would stay in the house. He’s already 75 and could have a stroke at any moment according to doctors. I could basically erase all my debt by selling my house but the catch is I need to build the mobile home. I pocket 100k and live in the farm house rent free. It would add an extra 90 minutes of driving each day and eventually I would need to take care of parents when I can’t even take care of my own self or family. All I’m good at is bringing a paycheck. He keeps hounding me about a free home basically and I’m totally dragging my feet making excuses. I could quit my job if I did this! My wife can’t stand my parents and they kinda drive me nuts too. What would you do?

>> No.57208420 [DELETED] 

>>57208409
If I don’t take care of him eventually the entire estate will be in jeopardy due to longterm nursing care. So I guess I don’t have much of a choice. He doesn’t need the care yet

>> No.57208435

>dad is trying to sucker you into some kind of scheme where you take on a bunch of financial risk, he takes nothing, he gets free housing and end of life care, and if it goes wrong he can put all the blame on you
Do you really trust a boomer? A literal baby boomer? Tell him fuck no.

>extra 90 minutes of driving a day
Test it out anon. Go sit in the car for 90 extra minutes tomorrow. Audio okay, but no sleeping or looking at your phone, hands on the wheel like you're really driving. IT FUCKING SUCKS AND IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

You have a good set up already. Liking where you live is more rare than you think. There's no reason to ever sell a house. Tell your dad in no uncertain terms that you're not interested and if he needs end of life care to sell HIS land and go into a retirement home.

>> No.57208441

Can't try to talk him into renting the barn or something? I won't be able to stay up for the thread but just helping with a bump

>> No.57208468

>>57208435
I know I would probably work part time and drive half the days. Also he wants to sign the entire estate over to me to protect it from longterm nursing care scenarios. I told him I’m very busy and I’ll think about. Been telling him that for 6 months.

>> No.57208506

>>57208409
When he is dead, will you wish you had done it?

Fuck what ur wife thinks. Looking after your parents is an obligation, unless they were pieces of shit.

>> No.57208633

>>57208409
move there if you want your wife to divorce you

>> No.57208650

>>57208506
They are very high stress intensity and have zero privacy boundaries.

>> No.57208657

>>57208633
Wise anon. She’s too dependent on me but the resentment is building every day

>> No.57208932

>>57208650
DO NOT DO IT. Seriously, this is not a "fuck boomer" post. I know you love your dad, like i do to mine, but your dad needs to know that sadly he is not the priority right now. The priority is your family. What you should need to ask yourself is:
1. Is the business and education prospect on your dad's sticks worth it?
2. Will this damage your marriage?
3. If you have kids / plan to, will you like them to grow up on your dad's area?

Its not even about the money, anon, its about the prospect. Sure, he's lonely, yes, but you need to tell him that he need to say it that he's lonely. You need to politely ask, and give option, to live with you, WITH boundaries.

Because if you think about the money, if he passed away then you'll get the house anyway. Think about it in the perspective of what your family need in long term. What do YOU need? What does your WIFE need? What do your KIDS need?

My suggestion is stay on the city. Its your home
>but... but i can clear my debt
You don't know if you'll get another one in the future if you're suddenly live in a sticks.

>> No.57209062

>>57208409
That's a stupid idea, don't do it. Do your own thing

>> No.57209066

coffee fu

>> No.57210496

>>57208409
that doesn't sound free at all

>> No.57210533

>>57208468
it really comes down to how much you love and trust your dad
if he screwed you or others over when you were younger then don't do it

>> No.57210548

>>57208409
>wife can’t stand my parents and they kinda drive me nuts too. What would you do?
This is your answer - stay away.

>> No.57210554

My girlfriend has to commute about 90 minutes every day and it's absolutely killer it will completely trap you in your routine