[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.55 MB, 2536x2536, 1596757597376.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
56407624 No.56407624 [Reply] [Original]

Do any of you anons make money in the music industry?

t. computer engineer, looking to make a change, or at least have a chance of it working out. Thinking of focusing on VSL software and electronic dance music

>> No.56407652

>>56407624
It's tough to make it in the industry if you don't have connections. It'll only work if your hyper autistic about music and have the ability to discern between good and bad music. It possible to create a song that goes viral and pays you royalties for life. The problem is that if money is your focus you're already off to a bad start. I'm an engineer and making music as well, my goal isn't to make money with music though. I care only about creating great things and having impact.

>> No.56407713

>>56407652
> I care only about creating great things and having impact
pretty good mission, anon. I hope you succeed.
I guess it's probably best just to keep a comfy engineering gig to pay the bills and then just spend most my life on making stuff. Probably better off just living modestly and maybe getting lucky off something new that comes out off /biz/

>> No.56408690

>>56407624
I used to be active in the race scene in Hawaii, made decent amounts as a dj
All dead since covid

>> No.56409021

>>56408690
did you get hoes?

>> No.56409590

>>56407624
Computer engineer here. I do music on the side for free (unless I'm performing).

Absolutely do NOT pivot into the music industry as a career, it's mean and dog-eat-dog.

>> No.56409658

>>56409590
do you have any goals with your music? The problem with me is trying to align goals with the things I do and at least thinking the effort will be worth it in some way

>> No.56409786

>>56409658
I treat it as a glorified hobby.

I performed jazz for the joy of doing it mostly. It was also fun going to different venues and cities, meeting new people (some famous), and making a little extra cash in the process, albeit more on an hourly basis than I was making as an engineer at the time.

I do audio production - usually mixing - for other musicians to keep my skills in that area from becoming rusty, just in case I decide to actually create again. It also builds goodwill among local musician networks and is helpful for social networking, which is great since my "organic" friend group has been evaporating in my 30s.

And to be perfectly honest, the networking connections offer opportunities to resume live performances though I'm a little too busy for it right now, and some of the musicians I collaborate with attract groupies.