[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 434 KB, 2100x1566, 6DA1F718-2D88-4595-80D2-9B07C56CCECE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
56360890 No.56360890 [Reply] [Original]

I was at the GS conference if you want to know anything, I’m available for then next 90 minutes until my flight lands. I’ll answer completely neutrally.

>> No.56360905

What the fuck GS stands for anon?

>> No.56360908

how close are we? how long?

are we the welcome new dog in town?

>> No.56360910

>>56360905
Gay sex.

>> No.56360911

>>56360890
Recognize anyone?

>> No.56360913

>>56360890
Are you flying home to Detroit kiddo?

>> No.56360914

>>56360890
How was the food?

>> No.56360923

>>56360905
G*mestop

>> No.56360941

>>56360890
What’s your take on the industry’s temperature towards DLT?
Are people worried about regulatory?

>> No.56360952
File: 3.74 MB, 521x421, 1000003485.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>56360890
Was anything said that was unexpected?

>> No.56360954

>>56360908
How close are we to valuable tokenized assets as the global standard? I would say at least 5 years away. There is some experimentation going on. Not a single representative there with whom I interacted had much familiarity with CCIP or Chainlink in general. I’m not sure what you mean by “welcome new dog in town”

>>56360911
Yes, but many of them from the financial world/past interactions. There were well known people like Jeremy Allaire there and Chris Giancarlo was there surprisingly. He gave a very eye-roll inducing panel about how “we the people” need to raise our “voice” and be heard by the people making the digital dollar and how our AMERICAN VALUES of FREEDOM are what is going to make the digital dollar so strong. I guess we should vote harder to be enslaved by the dollar instead of the Yuan.

>>56360913
Sure am brobro

>>56360914
Surprisingly decent food for lunch (catered sandwiches) and hors d’oeuvres during cocktail hour. Good Cabernet during cocktail hour.

>> No.56360958

>>56360890
Give us a quick run down of bullish Chainlink announcements

>> No.56360985

>>56360954
As I suspected, both /biz/ and Sergey largely overestimated how close any of this is to fruition. I’m going to take some profits on all crypto, it’s clear BTC etf will be the only near term catalyst

>> No.56361027

>>56360941
This is difficult to answer. People are excited at the dangled carrot of making money easily, but many people here are quite serious, especially the DTCC, DA, Equilend, etc panel and are largely focused on the value to be added by DLT. I can say the woman from DTCC said that DLT plays no role in their T1 initiative and isn’t a consideration in any of their “mission critical” (her words) roadmap. There were lots of enthusiasts obviously and reps from coinbase, Blockstream, etc, but no one was excitedly discussing their “game changer” use cases for DLT. Lots of people discussing carbon credits. The entire afternoon was essentially about regulation and lots of government representatives there to discuss this.

>>56360952
Honestly, I really liked what Eric Saraniecki of DA said which was along the lines of: “if your solution requires a massive regulatory overhaul and jumping through hoops, maybe it is the wrong tool” which stuck with me and has had me doing a deep dive on what they’re building. I honestly had many interesting discussions about why blockchains are actually quite bad for composability/privacy which are major requirements of capital markets and many of the things these banks do and how many of them have built in reputation and don’t really need that “reputation through absolute transparency.” Happy to elaborate further but am typing in my phone and it is cumbersome.

I spoke with Sergey a bit about Functions and the current state of bank adoption and will summarize it as follows:

Functions isn’t a product that is meant to be given a lot of important use cases right now. His panel discussed how Banks are just DYING to get this yield from public chains and I was frankly quite skeptical and wish there was a QA time at the end of the panel so I could speak with him and Vivek from Alchemy at once. Will continue what he said 1 on 1 in a subsequent post

>> No.56361063

>>56360890
>>56360954
Please intersperse any future posts with racial slurs such as nigger or kike. This prevents twitterfags from capping your posts and posting them on twatter. Thank you.

>> No.56361076

>>56360958
Being completely honest and neutral, it was, I wouldn’t say “bearish” as much as I would say “a bit of a reality check. Sergey did his usual spiel in his panel about “this is how things will work because you’re banks, you like money. Money is good, you’ll get a yacht. Customers happy. Right? Ok good”

When I spoke with him directly, I was honestly trying to get a technical understanding of how consensus is achieved on the hex data response from functions calls but he didn’t want to engage and just said “it uses OCR” so I’ll have to research that myself unless someone here can explain. In his panel he and Vivek also kept making assertions that I wish I could have had time to pick apart a bit. Anyway, Sergey kept saying how banks are really vying to take advantage of the yield and liquidity that public chains offer. And I asked “are you really expecting Citi bank to offer customers yield on cum rocket farming on Trader Joe while staking xJoe? And he admitted that US banks aren’t quite close to interacting with public chains for a variety of reasons, one of which according to him was them “wanting to keep an image of protecting customer funds” which I disagree with. He did say that Asian banks are excited to interact with these chains though as long as the underlying asset is reliable, something like a bank-backed stablecoin (but I’m not sure where the abnormally high yield comes in without some unrealistic ponzinomics). I don’t know much about Asian banking so I couldn’t inquire further. I sensed that he wasn’t that enthusiastic to speak with me.

There was a HUGE difference between the cryptobros panel which was all hype and optimism and “things are great” versus the traditional finance people who were quite sobering.

>> No.56361106

>>56361063
I really don’t have anything to say that will excite the exhaustingly cringey Twitter people besides Sergey insisting that there is a large appetite for Asian banks to interact with public chains.

The “MC” of the event was Oli Harris of GS and his closing point was how the industry is still sorely lacking standards, especially in system interoperability. I spoke with him directly during the cocktail hour and he clearly knew Sergey but I was more interested in discussing DAML even though he believes EVM becoming a standard is more likely (I don’t want to incorrectly paraphrase him though). I’m not so sure that CCIP is accepted as the de facto interoperability standard, and if it is, no one with whom I spoke was directly aware of it nor had used it in what they are building. I have built with CCIP myself and a variety of CL tools and find them to be really cool. Actually have had some discussions and calls with the CCIP business team to discuss integration for some of our projects on our permissioned chain.

>> No.56361118

I’m glad we have some clarity, finally, on where things sit. Thanks for this thread. It’s not fudders or shills, it’s cold hard facts. And it helps me with some investment decisions. Painfully, I think the next 2-3 years are quite murky, regulatory clarity is a must. We also need a white label MetaMask/wallet normies can use with their financial institutions. Normies will not buy a Trezor and store their seed

>> No.56361147

>>56360890
Is it the Jews?

>> No.56361152

>>56361118
These solutions are underway. Christine Moy presented at the conference and kept making the point of too many people trying to use a blockchain for a nonexistent problem that doesn’t need to be solved. Another fear of mine is that this RWA technology will be used to pump out a bunch of nonsense securities that wreck the economy like the last securitization bubble and everyone blames blockchain. I may lose my WiFi as I’m landing.

>> No.56361164

>>56361152
Ah yes was just about to ask, how close are RWA? Was anything near term?

>> No.56361182
File: 69 KB, 886x886, 1685581506931919.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

holy shit this fudder having a conversation with himself is shamelessly transparent. imagine going through all that effort to be instantly seen through.

>> No.56361187

>>56361152
>pump out a bunch of nonsense securities that crash the economy like last time
This is not at all what happened though

>> No.56361199

>>56361164
They’re already happening in some jurisdictions. But I think things like “tokenized apple stock” or uranium futures settled onchain are still at least 5 years away. Many of these heads of DA at these large banks essentially said they have a max 3 year window to demonstrate true value or things may not proceed. But they are definitely expending resources toward that endeavor.

>> No.56361444

>>56361199
Dub dub checked

This is why we are $7. Market is skeptical, big money is skeptical. I’m sad there’s no big enterprise adoption for proof of reserve

So the general mood seems to be late 2020’s

>> No.56361814

>>56361182
Holy cope..
>if its not some hyper bullish delusional hopium 1k eoy its a fudder
Its twitter retards like you that make us look like a cult to everyone

>> No.56361845

>>56360890
not into gay sex.

>> No.56361907

so the safe play is to sell the possible upcoming speculative/bull run pump since we're still a long way away from true adoption

>> No.56361927

>>56361076
that is intensely bearish anon. thanks for sharing

>> No.56361948

Decent LARP but still a LARP

>> No.56363302

>tfw I'm going to get to set up chairs for Sergey and co if Chainlink ever has a conference at my city
At least I'm tangentially connected to supporting the industry in my current position.

>> No.56363604

>>56361027
>no one was excitedly discussing their “game changer” use cases for DLT.
Why would they?

>> No.56363636

>>56360954
>Not a single representative there with whom I interacted had much familiarity with CCIP or Chainlink in general.
Buncha fintech retards who think they know. I bet you fit in well.

>> No.56363637

>>56363604
Maybe because there were reps from banks with trillions of assets under management and shilling them would create interest and speculation

>> No.56363666

>>56363636
>Ah yes, they with their trillions of dollars are clueless, but me? You see, I bought Chainlink in 2018 and know everything there is to know thanks to the marketing efforts of Chainlink painting the picture of a world where global finance runs through these things called decentralized oracles. Who cares if 99.99% of the industry knows nothing about it, Chainlink is going to eat their lunch and my army of twitter friends will become the new 1% :)

>> No.56363691
File: 294 KB, 1338x754, canton privacy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>56361027
Privacy and composability are both big problems for CCIP. Canton Network is processing trillions of dollars in transactions every month and they already have a solution that solves these problems.

>> No.56363706

>>56363666
1. Nice trips
2. 2017
3. I don’t have any friends
4. You can’t stop what’s already happening.

>> No.56363756

>>56363706
The thing is, that is where you're mistaken. Nothing is "already happening." There are proofs of concept using CCIP. No one is transacting real, large sums of value through CCIP and there are many issues with CCIP in its current form that would prevent it from being used for real uses cases in capital markets. We've seen all of this shit before in crypto. Iota with their "massive use cases," same with Hedera, etc. You have to realize that it comes down to hyping shit up to sell tokens so you have enough runway to HOPEFULLY actualize what you're trying to do. But if at the end of the day, no one actually uses this shit, it will die.

>> No.56363794

>>56361907
i imagine a lot of people are thinking this which is why it wont happen

>> No.56363819

>>56363794
i'll add that if linkies arent mentally prepared to crab in this range for another few years while society continues to degrade around them, they should unironically sell and use those funds to start dealing with that reality.

>> No.56363827

>>56363756
Okay bub. How long you been in the game? 12 months maybe a year and a half. You bring up shit coins like it’s going to make your point valid but it just makes you sound so fucking midwit. CCIP is happening. CARBON CREDITS on CCIP is happening. Mutha fuckin SWIFT is happening! Tonight! The banks are not going to reveal their cost reducing implementation to a conference room of competitors. They will make back room deals and leave OP midwit in the past.

>> No.56363899

>>56363827
You should be able to easily articulate what makes CCIP so valuable. Because Sergey claims it is because it’ll increase liquidity and yield. Banks aren’t going to be getting huge yield from public chains. No one is. The only way you do is in a ponzi BS market. So are you saying you hope CCIP creates a huge BS ponzi market and destroys the world even worse? Sounds pretty Jewish to me. If any of you had real income or an alternative to having a comfortable life besides your link bags mooning, you could view the situation a bit more objectively. Midair’s like OP continue to make 20-30% annually while geniuses like you look at marketing materials and convince yourself that the entire global market is going to transact in Link tokens. Cool idea, let’s see who is right.

Chainlink makes no revenue. They keep the lights on via token sales through hype.

>> No.56363975

>>56363899
The seething in your post is so fucking palpable. Oh my gawd like a heavily salted ribeye grilled to a perfect 140 degrees. It is making my mouth water. Guess what. I’m going to buy more today. And next week. And the week after. I’m sure you will too. (Wink)