[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 132 KB, 640x640, 1651410841475.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
55505324 No.55505324 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here worked construction/tradie jobs? What are some pros/cons? I've landed my first blue collar job, money is very good but I assume it'll be challenging work

>> No.55505340
File: 18 KB, 243x208, 168764960844274907.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It is, and that's an understatement, but it has its upsides.
I like the motley crew of ragtag dudes atmosphere of construction, install and mechanic work. Benefits are usually good and it's easy to network with builders if you have any intention of doing your own side business within construction. You could do installs and work on the side and build your own small business. Buy a truck and deliver loads, buy a van and do your own installs and contractor work, be your own man. There's a lot of variety.

>> No.55505350

>>55505324
>Anyone here worked construction/tradie jobs?
Did trenching, just for a year because it was my first job and i disliked it.
>What are some pros/cons?
The pay is not bad, you get to be /fit/ without a gym, if you're not a virgin socially loser like you you may enjoy it.

the con is you will have to deal with ruining your health and a lot of shitty people in a challenge of who's the best cocksucking faggot ruining their health more than the others.

>> No.55505351

No women

>> No.55505354

>>55505350
*virgin social loser like me

>> No.55505364

>>55505324
What trade in particular?

>> No.55505365
File: 218 KB, 470x470, gerbert_wild_dance_2_crop.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55505324
I do trading for living. Is easy job 1 trade 500 dollar profit

>> No.55505368

Pros
>Cash pay, get in good shape, not
have to deal with PC office bullshit, can handle shit like adults without HR speak, learn skills that you can use the rest of your life and save massive money down the road by DIY'ing your own home

Cons
>Can have some beer bellied asshole screaming at you and that's just the way it is, no benefits, bad weather or no jobs = no pay, can injure yourself, start super early and can have long days, fuck ups can have real monetary impact and delays on the projects

>> No.55505369

>>55505351
I've been for a couple of factory tours and there were women about the place
>>55505364
building a bunch of different types of vans/big motorhomes

>> No.55505370

oh, and also pray god you get the tools/machines/materials the team needs to get the job done.

You don't want to clean an optic fiber trench with a spoon like i did for 200 meters under sun/water/wind hping you didn't got a water pipe.

>> No.55505375

In my job in europoor the benefits are getting drunk at lunch, the physical exercise and focused activity in my job that makes you stronger/hornier/not give many fucks in general, no corporate faggotry.

The downsides is doesn't pay much for the hours until you're good at it compared to other jobs, no women which can also be positive depending, you wear your joints faster than other jobs, danger, dust inhalation, sometimes the banter is too much and although some dudes are hilarious, a lot are low IQ retards, can be tiring or stressful sometimes but that's any job

>> No.55505378

learn to be a blue collar guy. those guys gossip and are as cliquish as 11 year old girls. what i'm saying is: fit in

>> No.55505389

>>55505340
Own your own tools.
>then you have to buy your own tools
Well yeah, you're a fucking blue collar construction and installation worker. You're a craftsman. Own your shit. Don't be a bitch. You drive an empty van around? I'd be embarrassed.

>> No.55505397

>>55505324
I'm a lifer doing concrete AMA

>> No.55505403
File: 1.25 MB, 225x350, 1685128251506414.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pros:
>Simple and easy work/money
>Damn good pay
>Relatively active work (but not that much)
>You learn valuable life skills
>Boomers

Negatives:
>Boomers
>Easy to overestimate how active the work is and thus becoming fat (many such cases)
>Boomers
>Possibility of white trash NPCs
>Elitism
Hmmmm, simple job for couple of years but if you are not planning to establish your own company, I would recommend getting out as soon as possible. The boss will always try to fugg you in the ass

>> No.55505422

Pros: you can work outside sometimes its nice
Cons: you ruin your body and your joints, probably end up stress eating/drinking, there’s not always work, you have to be the bitch if you’re the new guy, if the boss fucks with you either put up with it or find a new job, have to work in shit weather

tl;dr don’t fall for the tradie meme, none of those guys are fit, they all have massive beer bellies due to stress eating and drinking from the job

>> No.55505473

>>55505324
did construction in the military and private sector for 15+ years. it's grueling, dangerous work. I won't even paint indoors with a paint sprayer and central A/C running at 60 F.
Bottom line, it's the kind of work to hire someone to do it for you like mowing the lawn bc fuck that I'm not doing that bullshit anymore either.

>> No.55505570

>>55505378
This is true everywhere, but it is funny how faggy 'real men' are kek.

>> No.55505897

Truck driving
Pros:
-good pay
-get to see the country
-can be a dick to everyone I meet, don’t have to bootlick management
-I like my truck it’s comfy

Cons
-long hours
-often get fucked over by situations out of your control
-weather: unbearably hot lately, have to work in rain

>> No.55507530
File: 72 KB, 615x501, Phase 3 release.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55505324
Hey buy 25k Blackswan and have it run while you are at work and make some crypto while you earn fiat. more info at blackswan dot biz.
Phase 4 is coming out very soon. It will have a user friendly interface and a telegram bot. It's already recovered it's local low the last couple of days. Once phase 4 comes out it's mooning.

>> No.55507623

>>55505324
I've been working in construction since I was 15, and now I have my own concrete company.
The thing you need to watch out for in construction work is being complacent and not giving a shit.

If you start from the bottom at a construction job and take it seriously, you'll end up with a good position in a few years.
Learn the trade and try to master it as much as possible, and from then on, you'll always be able to find work somewhere no matter what.
There's a giant demand for skilled tradesmen everywhere, and anyone who maintains even a semblance of professionalism will inevitably be promoted to management.
Once you make it to the foreman/project manager/operations manager level, you can pretty much cruise indefinitely and make 100k/yr.
A lot of guys get trapped at that level and never try to be entrepreneurial because they get weighed down with mortgage/lifestyle/family/ect
Those guys end up being the depressed and cranky fucks who make jobsites miserable.

Once you're able to run a job from start to finish, there's nothing stopping you from starting your own business.
The opportunities there are endless.
General contractors are constantly in the search of good reliable people to subcontract work to, and once you're in with several GCs, your problem will be hiring the right guys who can manage and finding good tradesmen.

My business does around 15 million a year of concrete work at 10-15% net profit.
Growing to this size was a grind, but the hardest part was pulliing myself out of the mindset of working for someone else so I could branch out on my own.

The steps to starting your own company are simple:
1. Open an LLC and have an operating agreement.
2. Open a business bank account
3. Get insurance and workers comp cert
4. Get an accountant to manage taxes.
5. Call up GCs and ask if you can bid any work
6. Once you get your first job, you can pay guys from your old job to get it done on the side.

>> No.55507663

>>55507623
From there, you enter the cycle of getting work, getting it done, keeping a good relationship with your customers, hiring guys, making payroll, managing receivables, and keeping all the other plates spinning.

Business ownership is tough, but once you successfully work for yourself, you'll never want to go back to a normal job.
You just need to keep from growing too fast and getting too far into the bank line.
For me, the sweet spot is 30 employees and 2-3 decent sized jobs at a time, but I want to keep growing.
I don't really pull out as much money from the business as I could because I'm constantly balancing payroll, payables, receivables, and other issues that always seem to pop up.

Down the line, if we get to the 50 million+ level, I'll be able to step back a little and hire top level managers to run the day to day operations so I'm able to spend most of my time marketing and strategizing.

If you have any questions about construction work or business, I'll try to answer as best as I can.

>> No.55507928

>>55507663
I am going to be working for a smallish - medium sized ISP in San Diego that installs fiber cable networks. Got a certification for fiber optics from a vocational college as I was separating from the navy as an Eelctronics Tech. Starting from the bottom and excited to see how much responsibility I can take on in my first year. Any thoughts? I would consider becoming a private contractor with my own tools and truck eventually.

>> No.55507939

>>55507530
Smart money.

>> No.55507941

>>55507928
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my position title is infrastructure technician. Gonna be working mostly in outside cable plants and running fiber directly to premises.

>> No.55508396

>>55505897
dont forget backing into a lot that was designed for a 26 foot box truck and getting claims on you if you so much as run over a blade of grass.
I honestly enjoyed doing CDL B work more, easier to handle the truck around, home daily, usually less boring. You can make the same or even more too considering youll get hourly with OT. Only downside is that it comes with more labor depending on the position. Like lugging hoses for tankers to unloading your truck.
Still a great profession nonetheless.

>> No.55508410

>>55505378
>those guys gossip and are as cliquish as 11 year old girls.
THIS, I'm a machinist and everyone is constantly trying to backstab eachother, it fucking sucks and I just want to get my work done and not hear about how so and so fucked up this week.

>> No.55508425

>>55505368
>no benefits

Get a union job and you'll have health care and a pension for most trades

>> No.55508452

>no one mentions the 6 gorillion mexicans pissing in bottles with cranked up sombrero music wandering around job sites
This is a bot thread

>> No.55508668

>>55505369
>building a bunch of different types of vans/big motorhomes
you're building the fema camps anon

>> No.55508712

>>55505897
How are the lot lizards?

>> No.55508890
File: 82 KB, 640x450, 1663189249928375.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55507530
This is my x100 coin

>> No.55509269

>>55507928
I work in broadcast, among other things.
You should look into SMPTE and understand how to do it well. Every installer I test for fucks it up and we end up getting paid a shit ton to fix it.
Fiber is mind numbingly boring for big splices, but it's not hard as long as you keep your area clean (isopropyl, don't use that "fiber cleaning kit" shit they give newbies), your colors straight, and your equipment in good shape.

I don't know what they teach in vocational, but I know a lot of splicers are hot garbage and ISPs typically have a strict spec to follow.