[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 443 KB, 455x500, ajrrXRq_460sa.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
550846 No.550846 [Reply] [Original]

Would it be more useful to study calculus or statistics if you want to go into the field of finance? in New Zealand if that makes any difference.

>> No.550855
File: 482 KB, 1232x2048, C360_2012-10-30-19-55-19.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump, please someone answer for me

>> No.550857

Difficult to say, as it's a field which combines both statistics and calculus.

Calculus are more related to the study of economics (its the foundation of how we interpreted behaviour and microeconomics).

When optimizing, and asset allocate etc. you use optimization theory, and therefore a great deal of calculus understanding is needed. As well as microeconomics to incentive optimize and what dont i know. The research of conducting finance material are usually based on statistics however (Beta determination, sigma, and all that).

So please make sure you understand both fields. Its also very important what field of finance you want to study, before i would say you should study one thing over another.

>> No.550858

>>550846
Can't study both? What sort of degree are you doing?

I did pure math and when dealing with finance I can never know enough statistics.

If you want to get into serious mathematical finance then you'll need calculus. You might also need analysis. I've seen topological vector spaces pop up a lot, it's pretty fucked.

>> No.550859

>>550858
And basic stats is easy whereas basic stochastic calculus is not easy.