[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 19 KB, 306x306, 507.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
54517185 No.54517185 [Reply] [Original]

My previous company never filed SSN and Medicare taxes in The last 6 years. I just filed the taxes using the W2 information that they provide. The IRS till date hasn't questioned me or the previous company. I recently moved a new company and they have started deducting it. Will there be any issues when I file taxes this year?

Whose responsibility is it for paying SSN and Medicare ? I think it is the company ?
I have filed the

>> No.54517262

Were they withholding the taxes and just not submitting it (how would you know?)? Were they not paying the employer part? I don't understand, if they were paying you through payroll and you got a w-2 I don't know how they weren't paying those taxes.
Post you w-2s with your personal info covered up.
Beyond being liable for the taxes, it will affect your Social Security income in later years so you should try to understand what happened and if it needs to be fixed.

>> No.54517276

>>54517262
The SSN and Medicare fields are blank in my W2. They haven't been paying their part as well. I think it was a mistake, they had paid for all of their employees

>> No.54517283

>>54517276
* They had paid for all other employees except me

>> No.54517298

>>54517276
Well that's Fd up, I don't know how that could have happened for 6 years with no one noticing. If you speak up now and they're a legit company, they'll remit the taxes for the employer part but you'll have to pay the employee part. You each pay half.
Probably better to just let it go. Unlikely anyone will notice now that you're gone.

>> No.54517316

You would have to pay 7.65% of all your gross income for the six years. There are no deductions or anything; if you were paid $50k a year then you'd owe $22,950, and so would they.

>> No.54517320

>>54517298
Yeah, I won't bring it up. But the new company has started detecting my SSN and Medicaid taxes. When I file for taxes this year, It will be two w2s, one from the previous company which hasn't deducted my SSN Taxes, and the other one which has deducted.
Till now, I have been filing the exact same information as in my W2. Not sure what will happen this year since there is a conflict

>> No.54517470

>>54517320
You're still going to file as per your w-2s, as you did in the past, just one will have withholding and one won't. I don't know how it didn't get red-flagged in previous years, but I don't see why it would be more likely to be noticed now than in the past. At least this year the IRS will see that you did pay SS tax, it'll just be less than what it's supposed to be.