[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.41 MB, 1600x1200, farm greenhouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
53527249 No.53527249 [Reply] [Original]

explain in a few words why you haven't started a farm

people need food to eat, there seem to constantly be more people

the median age of a farmer is like 60, so the field will be wide open

being a farmer is based and redpilled from a political perspective, it transcends politics and you produce what people need to survive, it keeps society running

no boss, you choose your hours, like right now, I should have went to my facility and turned the lights on, but I didn't, it's been 1.5 hours and not shit will go wrong, life will continue as normal

build a relationship with your community, sell to local restaurants and at farmers markets, leading to a possible career in politics or political connections

pay is good, work life balance is good, you are doing something that is morally good and matters to life on the planet

you produce an actual physical good or service

marxists should love this, you've literally seized the means of production

so why aren't you a farmer

>> No.53527323

>>53527249
One of my dreams is to get into vertical farming (buildings filled with hydroponics) and/or renewable energy.
I feel like sustainability is going to be a big market in the future, and scoring some government contracts (or getting bought out) would be epic.

>> No.53527402
File: 114 KB, 1920x1080, 1546910177279.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>53527249
>>53527323
Checked green ideas. OP has the right idea. Farming is the future, especially the sustainable organic type that hippies want. besides food agriculture, there is also horticulture, producing native seeds for restoration projects, plant propagation for drugs, research, etc.
Feels good to be studying plant science and plant propagation. I won't be replaced by AI for a while

>> No.53527426

>>53527323
costs a ton of money and electricity

>> No.53527453

>>53527426
True but it practically eliminates the need for pesticides or biocontrol. It's good if you live in cold regions or your plants require very specific environmental conditions

>> No.53527490

>>53527249
>be cityfag
>be jobless
>live in third world country where big farm actively stopss the individual from buying quality seeds and fertilizer

>> No.53527530

>>53527490
Horde fertilizer before it's too late. Potash is getting scarce

>> No.53527561
File: 373 KB, 1018x514, elec cost.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>53527426
True but that's why you set up base in a place where electricity is cheap or you build a solar grid first and then your farm. Solar panels will only become more cost-effective over time and I'm not planning on starting this venture until I've got a lot of capital.

>> No.53527615

>>53527249
I unironically work in the greenhouse industry
Never had a better year than the pandemic. People stayed at home and cooked fresh vegetables instead of eating shit processed food out
So high end greenhouse vegetables saw an increase in demand never seen before across the world.

ATM the money is in export (morrocco/turkey to EU, Mexico to US) or some niche Arab world white elephants.
But tomorrow local farming will see some good increases.
Hardly something to get rich from fast though

>>53527530
While this is true I don't see any way an individual could significantly hoard potash.
The scarcity to the point it becomes useful to have your own in your garage is decades away and you'll probably be in a shtf scenario with raiders or dictature coming for it anyway.
Meanwhile it's just a pile of shit that you are stockpiling uselessly

>> No.53527643

>>53527453
Biocontrol is cheap compared to all the electricity you would need. Vertical farming is a meme and makes no sense. The building costs way more than flat land. No shortage of sunlight in the world yet you would choose to be inside and use electrical lights?

The only indoor farming that makes sense is if some desert countries built some big, inflatable, plastic domes to farm in the desert in. Most of the water used could be recaptured via condensation at night. It would still be more expensive than importing food but some of the rich gulf states might want to do something like that for national food security reasons. That's the only reason it's worthwhile to farm in buildings.

>> No.53527808

>>53527323
>>53527453
To be fair vertical farming is quite a small niche.
It is mostly uncompetitive against sun-based agriculture and the riding costs of energy in the future will increase that gap.
It is interesting for research, some specific medicinal plants (getting medical grade canabis heads for example), for polar bases or space stations etc.
The rest are vanity projects to show off, on top of a mall or for a 3 star restaurant.
It will always be vastly cheaper to grow the same vegetable a couple miles away from the city with direct sunlight, or to ship them from a sunnier country if the winter is to dire where you live.