[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 45 KB, 641x530, 1525150393558.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
52226991 No.52226991 [Reply] [Original]

>graduated in august with industrial engineering degree
>no internships 'cause I didn't want to accumulate more debt and covid fucked all options for internships
>every job listing requires 5+ years of experience in specific environments/skillsets
>live in the northwest, don't want to move if I can avoid it since rent is super expensive
>have no fucking idea how to put my foot in the door of a relevant career path

So am I just fucked? Was I supposed to lrn2code for money, regardless if I enjoy my work or not? I just want a job in my field so I can build a career doing something I actually like.

>> No.52227035

>>52226991
Find the simplest job in your field, and lie about experience, lie about an internship with like Amazon, getting a hold of anyone at Amazon is fucking tedious so no employer will ever do a check if you put down Amazon.

If all else fails, lie. That's how I got my first raise at my new job, I walked in there, and when asked about salary, at the time I made 65k, but I said I made 80k, and they offered 90k, it was a smooth move and it made me understand that everything in this world is just smoke and fucking mirrors and it's all a bunch of bullshit but who cares play the system play the game and get the fuck out

>> No.52227080

>no internships
It’s over

>> No.52227126

>>52227080
how the fuck was I gonna get one during the globohomo hours of 2020-2022?

>> No.52227143

Idk man the boomers destroyed America. I graduated with a PhD in a high-demand engineering field a few years ago and submitted >120 applications to positions at or below my qualifications. I didn't get a single response until I started praying novenas for intercession of St. Joseph. Finally got a single interview and was hired.

I'd say just mass spam applications. Make it a full-time thing, 8-10 hours a day. Novena for help and guidance if you're Catholic.

Otherwise just keep it up and set a deadline in advance when you will lower your standards and settle for a warehouse or postal job.

And don't lie about your creds like people recommend. That's cringe, a sin, and will catch up to you.

Best of luck anon, added you to my prayer list until the end of the year.

>> No.52227239

>>52227143
>I graduated with a PhD in a high-demand engineering field a few years ago and submitted >120 applications to positions at or below my qualifications. I didn't get a single response
How the fuck?
>I'd say just mass spam applications. Make it a full-time thing, 8-10 hours a day
There aren't enough jobs in surrounding areas at my experience level or corresponding to my skillset to make it an 8-10 hour jam each day.
>Otherwise just keep it up and set a deadline in advance when you will lower your standards and settle for a warehouse or postal job.
Is it bad for engineering grads to start working as unskilled jockeys in a career-relevant environment?
>And don't lie about your creds like people recommend. That's cringe, a sin, and will catch up to you.
I never intended to do this, but I plan on embellishing my current achievements and "shining" them a little bit. Is that so wrong?

>> No.52227286

>>52227143
I didn't say outright lie, like he said, embellish
Also once you have the experience you don't have to lie anymore. It's difficult to get your foot in the door.

>> No.52227482

>>52227286
>>52227286
Well my only ray of hope now is a second interview at a glass manufacturer in a Portland suburb. The issue is that they want to pay 60k/yr for this role, and I'd have to move for it. I could make it on 60k, but it wouldn't be glamorous by any means, I'd be fucked fairly hard by state income tax and would only have 2 grand extra per month after rent and tax is done. Then I have to think about student loans... I want to convince them to pay me an extra 5-10k for the role, but I'm not sure how to do that without fucking my prospects up.
>Also once you have the experience you don't have to lie anymore. It's difficult to get your foot in the door.
No shit lol. That's the most annoying part about this whole thing, I'd love to get experience but the only way to get a job for experience is to (somehow) have experience already.

>> No.52228537

>>52227035
based.
i hate lying about myself. but guess i need to to play this game.

>> No.52228604

>>52227143
Based