[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 20 KB, 386x391, 1595378869174.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
50004736 No.50004736 [Reply] [Original]

Hey anons, how would you go about calling someone about a job opportunity/business call/ industry question? Basically I wrote a letter to someone in regard to having questions about a industry i want to get into and eventually start my own biz but the problem is its very niche and i was told i would get a call or text from this person but im tired of waiting and am just going to cold call this week. my question is how should i go about asking about what i want without sounding demanding or overbearing? also should i call or text this person? Im getting discouraged bc i was told i would hear back but i havent yet?

tldr; should i call or text a industry contact in regard to hearing from their colleague? i was told they would reach out to me but its been a few weeks and im going to reach out one last time- what do i say to maximize my chances of success to get a call back from the industry contact i want to speak to?
t.anxious-nervous-autist chasing a pipe dream

>> No.50004783

>>50004736
As someone who owns a very competitor niche business I would
Never call you back

>> No.50004788

Don't go through someone else to get info about this person and what's keeping them from talking to you unless you don't have contact info for your intended target.
Call him.
Just ask if he has time for a lunch or whatever for Thursday this week or next. If he shoots you down without providing and alternate meeting time, you've been disregarded.

>> No.50004948

>>50004783
they are not in the industry anymore. they are merely expierenced and i want tips on what i should do to advance my career path. most dont reach out like this as it took a act of congress to find the contact info and im a recent uni grad if that means anything not some major player

>>50004736
>>50004788
see what happened is this person isnt in the industry anymore, im just asking for advice essentially. I used yellow pages and shit to get a address and sent to numerous places to maximize my chances of reaching this person, it ended up at his relatives address but they gave him it, she said i would hear something and he agreed to reach out, but i havent heard anything. So i only have his relatives number as she reached out first saying she got my letter and gave it to him, i thought it was a prank and then she provided proof she was who she said she was so ive been excited but nervous the past few weeks anticipating something. so should i call her or text her about all this? i do not want to over do it as i only reached out twice- she texted me once saying she got the letter and i apologized for the phone book being wrong, then i asked a week later if i was getting pranked, she proved it and said he would call, then i waited 2 weeks havent heard anything and sent a follow up text. I dont know if i should wait another week or say fuck it and call her thursday or send a text. its super important to me desu

>> No.50005184

>>50004948
One more outreach at most but don't harass the man's family beyond that.

>> No.50005215

>>50005184
should i call or text? and what should i say?

>> No.50005241

>>50005184
>>50005215
also should i wait another week or do it this week? (itll be a week wednesday) im autistic about this ik providing all the details

>> No.50005428

>>50005241
Life lasts a looooong time. If you found this dude's family in a phone book, they ain't going anywhere. Just take it easy and do your own research on the business of the field or adjacent knowledge that will mesh well in the meantime so you're not acting like a petulant child expecting him to give you the knowledge macguffin.

>> No.50005593

>>50005428
ive been tho for a long ass time and im in a predicament bc i want to start my own entity but the issue is im also just out of uni with zero $ so i will need a job and have to do this on the side until i build up enough capital unless i convince my parents to invest (pipe dream lol) so how long should i wait so i do not seem like a petulant child? no hostility i am curious and thank you for advice i appreciate it

>> No.50005670

>>50005593
Another week maybe, it wouldn't be terrible to wait up to a month. Just not on Monday.

>> No.50006491

>>50005670
thanks anon i appreciate it, so wait a month another week? what do u think would maximize my chances

>> No.50007254

>>50004736
bump