[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.34 MB, 320x265, cattyshaq.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
437561 No.437561[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

PEOPLE OF /biz/ I COME TO YOU SEEKING ANSWERS

Is college honestly worth it anymore? If no, what do you suggest I do in the time I would have spent at college? If yes, what should I focus on doing in college?

I offer you fine ppl this cat gif in return for answers.

>> No.437563

Well, it really depends on the person.

It's true that college will give you some debt, take 2-4 years of your life or more, and may not actually end up serving you any great purpose if you choose the wrong degree.

For people with unusual mental conditions, general high ability, and the independent nature necessary to make it on their own generally do fine without college.

I wouldn't skip out on it unless you're a special snowflake that knows how to do things completely solo.

>> No.437645

>>437563
I like this answer.

OP, what would you be doing outside of college? What would you be doing inside of college? Which seems more worthwhile to you?

>> No.437703

>>437645
OP here.

I would like to make my entry into the comp science field, programming in particular. I could teach myself but I feel the structure of college would help keep me on track better. The costs of it are very high though. Im taking freshman college level courses this year in high school (senior) and also took college courses junior year. I took a test at my local college to see if I was high enough level to test out of freshman reading and math class in college and I passed both. With all this combined going into college I would essentially be sophomore level and skip most of the freshman courses. I wonder though, if I have been proven to have these great skills, could I viably teach myself the skills required to get into computer science, and would I be able to get a programming or accounting or w/e entry level job without college?

>> No.437709

>>437703
Well I'm not going to lie to you. A lot of extremely skilled programmers that have landed meaningful jobs or created valuable companies were self taught.

However, I know that type very well. They don't pick up the skill for money, they're just intrinsically fascinated with invention and learn it for their own personal interest, and aren't rushing themselves.

I can't say whether or not you'd fit into that category, or even if you did, whether or not you'd have the freedom to take that approach.

>> No.437723

The right degree choice can make college worth it. In general, these are good, marketable degrees:

>Engineering
>Mathematics
>Accounting
>Nursing
>Finance
>Biology (only if you plan on going to medical school)
>Medical technology
>Management Information Systems
>Education (low pay)

It is not worth it for other degrees which offer little to no post-graduation job opportunities. Such degrees include:
>Art
>Music
>Creative writing
><ethnic group> studies
>Women's studies
>Philosophy

>> No.437730
File: 1023 KB, 400x260, tagyoureit.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>437709
Well programming is a passion thing for me, having played around with some very basic programming myself. My best skill in school is mathematics and I genuinely have an interest in math and the unique problems it brings. Programming sounds exactly right for me. By your post it sounds like I could make it work, so I just need to decide if the structure of college is helpful enough for me to make the cost worth it, or if whatever degree I get is worth the cost.

>>437723
Hmm, would you suggest engineering, mathematics, or accounting? Considering that I need to be able to get an entry level position, what kind of entry level jobs would each allow? Which one is best for getting into programming? I chose those 3 because they each sound like the best choices for the field I want to go into.

>> No.437738

>>437561
>Is college honestly worth it anymore

If you want to learn and that is the best way for you to do so. If you're looking for job training, then you're going to be disappointed.

>>437703
>I would like to make my entry into the comp science field

Aw hell no. A CS degree is a pathetic waste of time where you spend 4 years doing little more than killing time in daycare. Teach it to yourself in a fraction of the time and far more in depth.

>> No.437750

>>437738
What would you suggest over getting a CS degree?

>> No.437758
File: 907 KB, 640x480, 1396824648331.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>437738
>using college to learn things

>> No.437768

>>437723
i always find it funny that every time a list of the "useful" degrees come up, quantitative degrees come out on top but physics is never listed. Phys is a fucking top notch degree but people always seem to forget it in these lists

>> No.437788

>>437768
Shhh. I know what you mean but let's keep it a secret.

>> No.437795

>>437768
in his defense he didn't include psychology on the list of shit tier degrees either.

>> No.437808

it is if its a full ride

>> No.437818

>>437723
What about law?

>> No.437823

>>437788
*taps nose knowingly*
Phys is shit guys, stay out, nothing to see here...

>> No.437827

>>437823
Yeah, all you'll ever amount to is being a high school teacher.
*snicker snicker*

>> No.437915

>>437768
If you want to work at Starbucks, sure.

>> No.437923

Judging from your diction OP, College will benefit you.

CompSci has a very good return after college. Most companies that are worth anything require a BS in CompSci.

>> No.437924

>>437923
This is it. Even if you're a god at coding these companies will "muh degrees" you to death.

>> No.437930
File: 75 KB, 600x401, chart3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.437933
File: 107 KB, 450x314, Picture2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>437930
these pics are worth a thousand words, I'd say.

>> No.437939
File: 134 KB, 778x1018, 1389396166690.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>437933
that's for baby boomers. the youth nowadays will end up mcdonalds just like everybody else lolol

srsly, not cool with 100k debt if you dont find a job, which is unlikely unless you have job set before you enter the college

>> No.437942

>>437915
>great math
>great coding
>great though process
>experimental experience
yup sure thing there champ

>> No.437945

>>437939
These tables were compiled with the 2010 workforce. It would contain everyone who was working in 2010, which is obviously not just baby boomers.

A public school bachelors would not be 100k buddy.

>> No.437948

>>437942
rofl dude can it, let them believe their lies

>> No.438171

>>437939
Are you one of those faggots that spent 100k to get a BA in liberal arts from a private college?

Go occupy something loser. The money and opportunities are there for those who apply themselves.

>> No.438822
File: 2.00 MB, 400x307, tailnope.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here

>>437930
>>437933
Thanks for the charts, that really puys things in perspective. Judging from the posts here it sounds like I will definitely need college.

So, /biz/, would a Master's degree in engineering be what I'm looking for? Should I get a bachelor's degree instead? Should I look at a different degree entirely?

>> No.438825

>>438822
Or, should I go for the professional degree? Sorry for double post, forgot to ask this

>> No.438923

>>438822
From my knowledge, a Bachelor's degree used to be enough to get a decent job decades ago, but now most kids are going to college and a Bachelor's degree seems to be the new minimum (whereas before it was a high school degree).
I'd recommend after you get your Bachelor's you get a Master's, or even a PhD if you want to shoot for the stars.

>> No.439216
File: 72 KB, 500x500, 1405631114764.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>437561
>Is college honestly worth it anymore

Fuck no it isn't worth taking. Download university books for free you faggot and read it yourself, learn any fucking thing and then start hustling, the faggot teacher is going to make you take notes and make you do it all yourself anyway, are you still a child? do you need to pay professor faggot to hold your hand for 40k+? I dropped out in grade 9 and I'm making good money, I'm self made bitch, not a plebeian like most on /biz/.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIONsz7vN74

>> No.439223

>>439216

That's cool, but I actually applied myself in high school and got a full ride to my university. You being self-made is awesome bro, but let's be honest, you're an outlier. Also, you have no guarantee of being able to sustain that 10-20 years from now. I will always be able to fall back on my degree - you cannot.

>> No.439946

>>437942
>unrigorous at math
>half assed at coding
>sloppy thought process
>data fudging
>ignore application details
>unrigorous math

Physics is a good ~second~ major for insight

>> No.440269
File: 73 KB, 709x787, 1407135468486.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>439223
>you're an outlier

Hah, that's what you've been conditioned to think, that your diploma piece of paper holds some kind of magical power, some high authority, when really all it is, is a piece of paper, imaginary boundaries that you have created all in your mind. The only benefits I see to going to university or college is to network with others, that's it though. I'll never fall down, I'll always have something to fall back on, my mind is always thinking money, there is no way I can fall, I'm always reading books and learning something new, if tomorrow the market for my current business is bad I'll jump ship and do something else with ease, I'll follow the money, I don't need no professor faggot holding my hand, my education is free and supreme always. Watch me, I'll be on Forbes one day.

>> No.440282

>>440269

>and by that I mean never my bro, u phukin faggot

>> No.440332

>>440269
So you're saying that you should learn yourself and that going to university is learning yourself? Doesn't that mean you should go to university?

There are two parts to a sign: The signifier and the signified. The piece of paper is the signifier; years of education is the signified. I learned that at university, now I don't make dumbarse statements like saying a degree is worthless.

Have a look at job advertisements.

>> No.440382

>>437561
It depends on the individual. If you have a great idea and enough skills to make it work without further education, but college would get in the way, then go for it and skip college. If you don't have any skills and no smart ideas or opportunities that you're going to follow through on within the next years then you might be an idiot for not going to college. Sometimes you can do both at the same time. Get an education and start a company or do freelance. Lots of students end up doing something like that.

The reality is that college is the highschool education of the 21st century. If you can't pay off the student loans then you were never going to be rich in the first place.

>> No.440396

>>437723
>Engineering
>Mathematics
>Accounting
>Nursing
Is that really a college degree? Bachelor of Nursing?
>Finance
>Biology (only if you plan on going to medical school)
It's probably no a great idea to take biology if you're aiming for medical school. There are plenty more efficient and lucrative ways to use a biology degree, especially molecular engineering and stuff like that.
>Medical technology
>Management Information Systems
>Education (low pay)
A college professor makes around 100k/year, not including what they make from research proposals and consultancy for private business sectors. There is also a lot of work and research going into combing pedagogical and education studies with technology and even AI.

You also missed out physics and computer science, law, and political sciences too. But most of the degrees have opportunities including art and design fields if they're pursued right. There is no difference between a talentless bum artist and a talentless engineer.

>> No.440401

>>440396
Physics is good huh?
I wished I had the motivation to keep continuing it.
I dunno why, but I would rather work.

>> No.440416

>>438822
>>438825
You get a real and accredited bachelors degree first to qualify for a real accredited masters. An accredited degree from an institute that has been officially nationally accredited (most colleges) will be internationally recognized. An associates degree is only worth the reputation of the institute that gave it, same with a professional or trade diploma. A bachelors degree might get you a job if you're lucky, but a masters degree will get you a job at google or other major company.

A bachelor will take 3-4 years and a master will take 1-2. You can usually do the first couple of years of the bachelor at a community college and then transfer later to save money.

A doctorate on the other hand is entirely different. All you need is a legitimate sponsor that's an academic leader in the field of your research. Usually private businesses and university research institutes work together to help pay for it and provide facilities. Being a doctoral student is often like having a job so it's different to bachelor and master degrees. If you have a masters in that field then it's easier to get accepted, if not then good luck and may the gods be with you on your hopeless quest.

>> No.440428

>>440401
Physics, math, engineering, and information sciences have big overlaps with each other in terms of what you can do later. A degree only rigorously teaches you fundamentals but doesn't teach you how to do a job. If you don't like the degree then find one you do like. It's better to get an art degree and be an amazing artist than be some mediocre physics grad that can't be motivated to do good work.

>> No.440477

>>440396
>Is that really a college degree? Bachelor of Nursing?
Or Bachelor of Science (Nursing)

>> No.440492

A BSc in Physics is no good unless you finish a master's degree in a quantitative field (statistics, comp. sci, econometrics, etc).

Way to many retards go to college because they think all other alternatives (such as learning a trade) don't pay off as well as a "degree".

Keep in mind that college in the US is a business. They do not give a shit about what degree you take, whether you attend your classes and if you get a job afterwards. They make big money on retards who go to college, take useless degrees, attends minimum amonth of classes and party six days a week.

If you want your money to be worthwhile at a college, work for a few years first, building up a realistic perception of the real world along with motivation to finish a worthwhile dual-major on time.

If you want to take a degree in something such as mathematics, physics or biology, you have to substitute it (dual-major) with a subject where you can effictively combine the two subjects to make your degree more "unique" and marketable.

Computer science is a very good major you can combine with A LOT of subjects.

If you don't go to college, learn a trade, make some money and then consider starting up a small firm related to your trade where you hire Mexicans and rent out their service. Obviously requires Spanish and some social marketing skills.

>> No.440522

>>437561
For a higher paying job, sure.

Nothing else of value however that you aren't already able to buy in publicly available books. I made it through minimum wage and business by selling t-shirts I made through a $20 textile machine I bought off eBay. Shit was so cash.

That is all.

>> No.440524

>>439223
Actually, many institutions will favor experience and results over a degree. If he has a record of it, that degree is fairly worthless.

A degree is more like paid insurance for those who are not independently capable enough to make it on their own.

There are exceptions obviously. Medicine, law, etc. Those are the only professions you should be receiving formal education for. But paying failed businessmen who only understand the one concept that a fool and his money will soon be parted, to teach you what you need for a career, that is beyond foolish.

Anyone that knows anything will always ask the question of why someone would pass up the chance to gain something. If your college professor is so brilliant, why is he not exercising this ability to receive great reward? And if you say because they believe that teaching is fulfilling, you are mistaken. The amount of people on Earth who will discard opportunity for great riches are mythically rare, and they are not your professors.

>> No.440529

>>440492
Some colleges might just be money grabbing enterprises but most of the good ones aren't. Student tuition does not amount to much, does not cover a lecturers yearly salary, does not pay for all facility costs, does solely equip labs, does not fund research. In many ways it's a joint investment in training the student to become an assistant or colleague in the big business that drives any good university: Publishing.

Professors are excited by their field of research and by finding promising students that can come up with fresh ideas to help further their own careers. They care a lot more than some random professional that lectures at a trade school to earn extra money on the side. If you flunk out that's your choice and they don't have time to sit down and make you take your life seriously.

Any degree can and has been used to get into a position in most attractive jobs these days. Companies don't actually care which classes you took as long as you can show an ability to learn and get things done. The only bachelor degrees that stand out over other degrees are those required for very particular jobs. This is usually limited to jobs that require something like biology or chemistry.

Computer Science is one of the worst bachelor degrees. It doesn't specialize in anything and on the job market you're going to be directly competing with every self taught techy. It doesn't help that the skills for entry level positions you can get with a CS degree can be squeezed into a single semester.

Bachelor in math is also very overrated on 4chan. Maybe you can get some entry level finance job that other quantitative degrees might not get so easily, but unless you're going into research then math is no better than physics.

On the whole it's just stupid to argue about entry level education such as bachelors degrees. They don't mean jack unless you took some very specific classes or minors.

>> No.440535

>>440492
>>440529
The only sure fire way to go with education is to get a masters degree. That's where you learn your specializations which will open up so many more opportunities. It's a guaranteed job at most companies and if all else fails then you can always get a job as a university working in the industrial academic publishing mill.

>> No.440541

>>440524
Most decent jobs require at least a bachelors degree. If you plan on working abroad then you need a degree to get a working professional visa. There are countless benefits to having a degree over not having one. Work experience is a moot point because you can still do that or do that while you're studying. That's right, after spending 6 years getting a bachelors degree and a masters degree you can still finish with that plus 6 years of working experience.

Companies usually try to advertise in and around student communities offering them flexible working hours. Universities also regularly post open positions at all levels.

They do it by convincing themselves that they're head hunting the next generation of great minds and industry leaders or some other bs.

The only people that finish with a useless degree and nothing to put on their resume are lazy aspies that couldn't have made it anyway.

>> No.440543

>>440541
Don't need it. Multiple citizenships and freedom of movement.

And I don't think anyone's really talking about work experience in particular here. Someone who abandons the pursuit of formal education to be self made, won't be another man's subordinate.

>> No.440545

>>440543
I doubt you're a citizen of every country to bypass immigration laws.

Effectively your customers will always be your boss. There is no difference, it's the same thing. An education doesn't limit your options but increases them dramatically and if you do it right it will also help you network and get a foot into a job or a deal later on.

As long as you go to a top 100 rated university then you're making a very good investment. Many of them are in other countries and are much cheaper than mediocre universities in the United States.

A degree is only a waste of time when you get in from a low ranked university. Otherwise it opens up doors that you never even anticipated.

>> No.440581

>>440522
Would you mind specifying the machine, a partner and I were looking to start a business requiring one.

>> No.440583

>>440545
I completely agree with you that Comp. Sci is useless alone, as you wrote earlier. As a minor (or dual-major), I believe it can help you.

However, why would you spend $40k/year on attending a top 100 university for a bachelor degree when you need a master's to make use of your bachelor? If you graduate a mediocre university with a nice class rank, you will be able to attend a tier-one university for your master's (which really matters). Obviously based on the assumption that you are able to rank in the top 10%.

>> No.440586

College is still worth it. It's just not worth as much as it use to be.

>> No.440617

>>440583
Honestly unless you don't have the option you should always get a masters and pick your extra curricular and minors wisely. A bachelor in something like music with a minor in CS or psychology might help get you into a music cognition or AI research master.

Being at a top college will bring so many personal growth opportunities that a bottom tier college just can't compete. Take one of the ranking lists and look through the top 100, they're all over the world, many offer programs in English, many also offer international scholarships, many have much lower fees and lower cost of living.
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013

So maybe you could be studying in China, learn the language on the side, do some networking, and when you go home you're going to look ten times more interesting than some monolingual graduate of a third rate college.

The sweetest part is that studying at a top 100 college might be 3 or 4 times cheaper than a bottom tier college if you don't limit yourself to sticking with local options.

>> No.440634

I feel that I should point out that compsci has nothing to do with being a codemonkey. I know lots of people that like programming but hated their compsci classes.

>> No.440648

>>439946
>unrigorous at math

>physics

Haha, what?

>> No.440654

>>440648
Math used in physics has no rigor. Compared to real math at least.

>> No.440670

>>440654
Nah we just cut out all the unessicary bullshit. Seriously who the fuck need to define a differential every god damn time they need to use it. So much of the "rigor" in math is fucking pointless and achieves nothing bar keeping purists autism in check

>> No.440761

>>437561
Depends on your majors. Don't be stupid with it, choose something profitable. What is profitable? There are plenty of articles out their on which majors actually are worth something. If you're parents don't run a business you can work your way into or don't have something for you to do out of highschool, go to college. Go to college,get good grades, intern everywhere and anywhere all the time, and you'll have 4 years of exp and bachelors before you know it. You have much better job opportunities than a high school graduate and most college grads.

>> No.440779

Anyone doing Petroleum Engineering here?

>> No.440785
File: 411 KB, 3264x1952, 1402777691044.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>440779
tfw not good enough at math to major in petroEngi. If you have the math skills this is pretty much the best major you can get.

>> No.440790

>>440785
really, why?

>> No.440801

>>440670

learn to spell #nigger

>> No.440816
File: 60 KB, 475x473, Mathcurse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey /biz/, what do you guys think of Civil Engineering. I'm planning on majoring in it. Is it worth it? I live in the Washington DC metro area if that helps.

>> No.440818

>>440790
Oil is everywhere. At least a 90k starting salary with just a bachelors, you'll be making 6 figures in your first few years for sure. But you have to be willing to relocate.

>> No.440820

>>440816
Mechanical/Electrical/Petro > civil

>> No.440833

>>440820
Salary wise, this is generally right. What i'm most worried about is job security and what not. I just hope that the economy isn't ass by the time I start my career, along with the rest of my generation. I'm a 1996er or Gen Zfag, whatever you want to call me.

>> No.440835

>>440617
You seem like you know your shit so I just have to ask you this as well: when it comes to personal growth, as you mentioned, how are the differences between US and UK?
I am thinking of applying in the UK but the only thing I am worried about is how fucking serious it seems compared to a US university. No fraternities, no college football, etc. It's like if you miss out on the "college experience".

I am probably going to study Acturial Mathematics of some sort.

>> No.440866

>>440835
The UK has a lot of high ranked and prestigious universities for relatively cheaper tuition. I'm not sure about sports clubs but they probably exist at some level. Any college anywhere should have a ton of student organizations and staples an LGBT group and alcohol drinking groups seem to be common around the world.

Many good colleges also have partnerships with each other around the globe. So you might be able to do a semester at Stanford or NYU as an example without needing to pay their tuition fees, but I'm not sure if exchange the rules are different for foreign students.

>> No.441129

>>440670
>assume a flat, frictionless surface
>assume no air resistance
>use dy as a variable

>> No.442484

>>440866
My family are immigrants to the US and I think I have to stay in the US for school, because that's what my parents told me they immigrated for. I'm currently at a shit local university though and I'm planning on transferring next year. I'm aiming for the top 100 US schools, but I'm not sure if, for example, the 75th best school of all US schools can measure up to any of the top 100 schools in the world.
Here's the list of top American schools I go by. Don't know how reliable it might be though:
>http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/
For reference, out of that list my current school is in the 500s. I think I should just take what I can get.

I also want to ask, how would a decent quantitative major like physics with a minor or double major in computer science at say, University of Florida (combined with internships and personal projects), compare with a pure computer science major doing nothing but academia at somewhere like Cambridge, in terms of opportunities at the end? I'd like to believe the stories about being self-made and successful while also having a decent degree for backup, but I just need to know how important brand name is if you're willing to work hard independently alongside college anyway. (I.e. if I should be upset if I don't transfer into anywhere elite.)

>> No.442499

>>440835
>I am probably going to study Acturial Mathematics of some sort.
HOLD THE FUCK ON with that man.

Actuarial science is a profession requiring additional qualifications to practice it. These qualifications are different in different countries. If you take an actuarial course in Britain, you better be god damn positive you are going to stay and work in Britain your entire life. Because if you try to come back to the US, you are going to be unable to find a job, you are going to have to pass multiple exams that are really fucking hard after the first two, and are on material that you sort of covered in college but with completely different organization, presentation and notation just making it confusing as fucking hell, you're probably gonna have to spend a couple weeks studying for each exam after finishing your degree and coming back here and they are $250+ to even attempt.

I just graduated from UF, btw, math and econ degree. Could not find shit for actuarial jobs, passed two of the exams but had no experience and didn't even get a single fucking interview. If you're interested in actuarial science, go to FSU, it's a worse school but it has a top ranked actuarial science program, UF doesn't even have a program just a minor with 1 guy teaching the actuarial classes. Doing that will probably get you a job provided you're smart, on track with exams and most importantly pass a couple before your third summer and do an actuarial internship.

As far as employment, I got nothing, UF is a huge school so no one will help you if you do your own thing and it is easy to fuck yourself. Its not that great for physics or CS, you might get a code monkey job but for anything good you will need an advanced degree, you could however do computer engineering at UF which is a solid program. CS at Cambridge likely won't get you a really legit CS job without a higher degree, either, but it opens up the possibility of working at a bank out of college making crazy money.

>> No.442505

>>442499
So if I want to get my degree in physics, I should apply to all schools that have solid programs in physics, even if they're absolute shit in rankings and everything else? Like should I even bother with Harvard or Johns Hopkins or Dartmouth?
Btw my current school absolutely has no physics program, haha. So I kind of fucked myself over here anyway.

Sorry to hear about your experience there, but I heard UF was still a pretty good school. Especially if you get a full ride from Bright Futures as a Florida resident. I'm also planning to get my Master's and even a PhD, so for my BS I'm kinda just trying to aim for a school that would get me into a good graduate school program.

>> No.442523

>>437795
is psych that bad?

>> No.442531

>>442505
>So if I want to get my degree in physics, I should apply to all schools that have solid programs in physics, even if they're absolute shit in rankings and everything else? Like should I even bother with Harvard or Johns Hopkins or Dartmouth?
Well you might as well save yourself the time and application fee for Harvard, you're not going to get in. Your chances would be very very low at Johns Hopkins, or Dartmouth or any other Ivy, and would be zero just like Harvard at Stanford, MIT etc, don't even consider it an option if you don't already know you're going to get in.

>Sorry to hear about your experience there, but I heard UF was still a pretty good school. Especially if you get a full ride from Bright Futures as a Florida resident.
Yeah I certainly didn't do too bad, managed to get myself a full ride to grad school so I'm happy, and ended up with a job offer at the internship I worked this summer that I didn't even want at that point. And it cost me pretty much nothing, between merit scholarship and bright futures I was getting $700-900 direct deposit to my bank account every semester after paying tuition up until I ran out of hours senior year, which total cost for the year was only like $3500. So I'm completely debt free which is a huge plus.

>I'm also planning to get my Master's and even a PhD
Pick one. Schools with top tier masters programs are often mediocre for the full PhD, schools with top tier PhD programs often don't even offer masters. If you want the PhD straight out of college, go for it, don't waste your time dicking around with a masters, that is only for if you want to start working and getting paid fast or if you graduate with no job prospects (me lol).

But if that's the case, you should DEFINITELY just stick to UF/FSU/state school, it will still be fine for getting you into a grad program so long as you study hard and do research. Sure a top school will get you into a slightly better program but that is not worth $120k+.

>> No.442546

>>437561
If you're intelligent and/or social, you best believe college is a great investment. If you're smart, you'll get a good job more than likely after exiting college. If you're social, somebody you meet might give you a job later on.

>> No.442560

>>440529
>Computer Science is one of the worst bachelor degrees. It doesn't specialize in anything and on the job market you're going to be directly competing with every self taught techy.

I know this post is old, but this is some of the stupidest shit I've ever read.

>> No.442561

>>442531
>if you don't already know you're going to get in
What do you mean? I know the chances are low. But I have Bright Futures and other scholarships paying for my local school currently so since I get the extra money I'm gonna take a shot at applying all across the board. I'm desperate to get out of my current school, I'm even applying to FIU as a backup because at least that school has a physics program.

My original goal was a PhD but I think I want to do engineering. If I can get a PhD and still do engineering then I won't go for the Master's.

>but that is not worth $120k+
It is for my family, apparently. I'm not sure how to convince them that it's not.

>> No.442914

>>442499
Thanks for the warning.
Born in Norway, so I will head back there to get my first job related to the degree I take. All the people here who wants to enter the finance industry seem to run into the mistake of going into business-administrative programs instead. A friend of me did this and warned me. He also reccomended highly quantitive finance/math/macroeconomic degrees. Because all the people here with quantitive knowledge don't give a shit about business and want to become scientists instead, the demand for actuaries and other types of quantitive degrees is pretty high. Also, I don't think you need extra qualifications here. The banks/insurance companies will train you because the demand>supply and they can't afford to be picky. I am sorry to hear about the situation in the US. Hope it works out for you when you get your master's.

If I study abroad (thinking US/UK), the Norwegian government will give me ~$20k (if the tuition is 20k+, I think - you have to pay the rest yourself), so I hope to study at a top-tier university in the UK so that I can get away from my family (stuck with unhealthy middleclass mindset and mentality) and friends (bad influence - "fuck school", drugs, party). Also, I won't have to be surrounded by retards (there's no "elite" quantitive programs with high enough requirements to filter out unambitious idiots here). I get very affected by surroundings, so my decision to go to an international high school, as I mentioned briefly earlier, ("IB-diploma - more or less the same as A-levels) made me go from a loser with a bum-mentality to an honors student. I am hoping that going to a good university will take that personal growth to the next level.

Anyways - do you have any reccomendations for what I should study? Example of variety:
Math | Math, Optimisation and Statistics | Math (Pure Math) | Math with Applied Math/Mathematical Physics | Math with math. Computation | Math with Statistics | Math with Statistics for Finance.

>> No.442954

>>442484
>I'm aiming for the top 100 US schools, but I'm not sure if, for example, the 75th best school of all US schools can measure up to any of the top 100 schools in the world.
No they don't ... Are you saying some nameless place like Wheaton University (75th on your list) is better than god damn Cambridge or Oxford? Are you out of your damn mind?
And their #1 college is some random liberal arts college? In to the trash it goes...

University of Florida looks like it's nothing special and definitely doesn't have the best physics programs. Oxford and Cambridge are both renowned, god damn world renowned for their physics programs. Computer science would be fine too. I think your perspective is way off though, and you need to realize that curriculum is always more or less the same everywhere, but prices, networking, opportunities, and prestige differs greatly.

The difference in choices of university is the difference in (for example) having average career professors or having professors that worked on the LHC making world history. With parts and systems that get designed or partially built on campus offering great opportunities for enthusiastic students.

You really need to have a good look at what you want after your degree, and find a place that gets you as close as possible to the people and opportunities that will get you there.

>> No.443503

>>442954
>curriculum is always more or less the same everywhere, but prices, networking, opportunities, and prestige differs greatly
Yeah, I already realize this. What I'm trying to say is that it might be too late for me, man.
For the opportunities and resources that you mention, I'm aiming for grad school. But I still need to transfer somewhere decent for undergrad, and UK schools are not on my list.
>Are you saying some nameless place like Wheaton University (75th on your list) is better than god damn Cambridge or Oxford?
It's obviously not "better" but I was wondering if some of the more "heard of" schools that are in the top 100 in America would be decent enough to make things work.

>> No.443550

>>443503
If you're in a STEM major you should probably be in a top 30 school US school for that particular department. UK and other foreign schools will still generally be cheaper and often better unless you're able to get into MIT or Stanford.

If you graduate from a mediocre school without many connections then you're going to want to do grad school at a decent place, or willing to do a lot of extra astroturfing and talking bs like you're better than you really are.

The more mediocre your college is the more proactive you will need to be to make your application for a job or PhD program stand out above the rest which mostly come from reputable colleges.

>> No.444022

>>437561

I'm a Senior Programmer from a small multimedia company with some heavy duty clients.
I did not complete high school and opted for a GED.
I also did not attend college.
My job is about adapting and our other college grad developers even struggle to pick up new languages or mold to situations.

I'll have to say, I really wish I did go to school if just to have something else on my resume / CV. I've been extremely lucky to land jobs with employers who accepted me for my quality of work and skills.

I don't believe college is necessary for everyone. I don't think it hurts either. Based on my coworkers and friends that finished college, the most important thing to take away is connections and friends. Often those are the ones you lean on to begin your career or may come to you for an in at your employer.
>Friendship is life

>> No.444042

>>442561
I had a 4.0/4.9 gpa in highschool, 2390 SAT, full IB schedule with 5 APs, played 2 instruments and was in math club in highschool and got rejected from all 7 of the top 10 schools i applied for in high school, they are even more selective among transfer students, if you haven't published a paper or something they're not going to let you in.

And if you could get into a top 10 school or maybe if you get into a top 20 it might be worth the money but for second tier shit its really not, UF and FSU are 2nd tier. UF is quite selective on transfers btw so its good you have backups.

>>442914
Thats cool I did IB, it is excellent preparation for an American university it is more work than you will likely do in undergrad and on the same level as first/second year classes.

I'm not sure a US university would be best for you as you will be affected by the 'dont give a fuck just party yolo' attitude that many college kids here have. UK would probably be better though, also much more liberal for you, and cheaper of course.

I don't know anything about those math courses. Math with computation sounds best, then math optimization and stats, math and stats or math and finance stats, taking 1 or 2 finance classes will be extremely useful which you could easily do with a regular math course in the US but you probably won't have that option so the course might be better. Again I really don't know though.

>> No.444063

>>444042
>I had etc. etc.
What's the point of posting this? To discourage me from even trying to apply to selective schools? Everyone has their own story to work with, I'm still gonna go for it. I have better stats than you in the things you listed, btw.
>top 20 might be worth the money but for second tier shit its really not
So you're telling me I should avoid applying to second tier schools as well?
I can't stay at my current school, man. lol
It's a completely wrong fit. I only attend this place because I was fucked up in high school and bombed all my apps.

>> No.444080

>>441129
> Judges the entire physics degree program on what he learned in week 2 of physics 101