[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 76 KB, 800x622, 087A91EE-CA07-45DF-8945-E722F5124D9A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4067203 No.4067203 [Reply] [Original]

Is home ownership a meme?

I mean don’t get me wrong, (((rent))) is a total scam. But it seems like such a burden constantly maintaining a home. Everything is always broken and the cost is outrageous. It seems like if you rented low cost and invested the money you would have bought a house with, youd have a solid income stream to cover rent plus more.

>> No.4067249
File: 141 KB, 720x720, 1508938443205.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Homes can make or lose you money. Any asset can be productively or detrimentally managed. If youre looking to categorize home ownership you need to assess your own situation.

Personally I want a garage gym, a basement workshop, a (FUCKHUGE) garden and an environment to host social events/ be loud/ piss in my backyard sort of thing.

I like fixing things and DIY but if you dont home ownership may be a meme for you.

>> No.4067275

>>4067203
Or you could buy a cheaper house and pay a low mortgage and make even more money.

You'll have a tough time finding an apartment for less than $500 a month, but you can get a mortgage that cheap.

All you have to worry about is the down payment. Yeah you can invest that money, but then you have $500 a month going down the gutter while your $500 mortgage is going towards your house, eventually you won't have to pay that anymore.

>> No.4067322

>>4067275
True

But I rent a house currently and the plumbing totally fucked up. We called the landlord and he had to pay thousands to have the back yard torn up and re-plumbed. Didn't cost me one cent.

I know renting isn't a wise decision in the long run but it does have perks like not having to pay maintenance.

>> No.4067352

>Buy property in downtown any city
>make downtown the new hip funky place to be
>convince Californians to move there
>wait for real estate to skyrocket
>sell at 20x initial investment
>blow it all on Pokemon cards
Rinse, repeat

>> No.4067358

>>4067322
If your landlord isn't dumb he'd factor in emergency funds like this into your rent, so you're probably still paying for it.

>> No.4067391

Renting is the meme. Ownership is true freedom.

Just don't buy high. Market is too hot right now so I am currently renting and waiting for a big real estate sell off which I am expecting within the next two years.

>> No.4067411

>taking out a mortgage which is essentially a bank creating money from nothing and having to pay back that debt plus interest from converting your time and effort into a wage which the bank also created from nothing

Wagies leveraging themselves to fuck with debt for most of their lifetime is dumb

>> No.4067419

>buy land and build your own house from scratch on it
>still have to pay property tax
>try to live in some forest somewhere
>can't because it's illegal

Defend this. You literally have to pay tax no matter where you are on planet earth.

>> No.4067468

>>4067419
You can live in the ocean for free

>> No.4067537
File: 528 KB, 704x504, HODLjenny.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4067203
i would call it a meme

if i wanted to invest, i wouldnt look any directions other than crypto... at least i can sell that to any fucker at anytime with a few clicks... whereas you gotta maintain that bigass motherfucker and pay tax, pay utilities, paint, fucking fix shit, cut bastard grass...

i'd rather hold btc, just seems like a nobrainer... gainz on that next year...