[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 242 KB, 1060x781, oilrig3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
405703 No.405703[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

The oil industry in the U.S. is in the middle of a boom. Some projections have the U.S. becoming the #1 oil producing nation in the world by 2020.

Not only are the jobs plentiful but they offer very high pay in very short time starting with little to no experience if you are willing to adapt to a very different lifestyle.

The average oil worker in 2012 made $99,000. Average pay with less than one year experience was $66,000. Offshore workers make even more per equivalent job.

In addition to pay many of the jobs are equal time on/off rotations meaning you are off for nearly half the year. Common is 2 weeks on 2 weeks of, 21 days on/off, or 28 days on/off.

Someone with no college degree but good work ethic can easily climb above $100,000 per year in income in less than 5 years. In fact that is essentially the norm. Making over $120,000 per year with just a high school diploma before the age of 35 years old is extremely common.

A degree holder and technically minded individual with some blue collar common sense will be making over $120k per year within 3-4 years starting with no experience in something like MWD (measurement while drilling).

Downsides? Relatively harsh working environment. 12hr days. Working with lots of rough types, rednecks, etc.

Come join us.

>> No.405707

Where should I relocate to? I'm in Chicagoland currently.

>> No.405712

>>405707
Texas, North Dakota, Alaska, and Southern Louisiana have prominent oil towns. The offshore industry is primarily located out of the Lafayette, LA and Houston, TX areas.

>> No.405717

>>405703
>jobs plentiful
>starting with little to no experience
HOW DO I GET IN

>> No.405718

Will I be accepted if I'm asian and only 5'6" tall

>> No.405720

>>405712
For 4chan neckbeards who don't want to be roughnecks a simple guide would be to look into mudlogging and MWD.

Mudlogging is more entry level and more readily takes people without degrees. You basically analyze cuttings that come back from the well, monitor gas data, and watch the pit system. Starting training pay will be $3,000-$4,500 per month but will quickly go up from there with one of the bigger companies, especially offshore. $80-$105k per year within 3-5 years is the norm for an offshore mudlogger with a large company. That said once you get a year or so of experience mudlogging you will be a good candidate to move to MWD.

MWD (measurement while drilling) are better entry points for people with degrees, especially engineering degrees, or other relevant experience. They are the people who put together the tools that go behind the bit and take real time measurements as we drill. Starting pay of around $4,000-$5,500 per month. After 1 year you can expect to make near $100k. By year 3 you can expect to make $120-170k per year.

>> No.405721

How come this thread says other wise

>>389438

>>389438

>> No.405725

>>405703
For the same mpney you could mine gold in alaska

Id say its a better choice than the military if you have the willpower to save and use what freetime you have wisely

Yah gotta factor in the exposure to toxins though , especially with fracking

>> No.405726

>>405712
Is shale the primary source of economic revival in North Dakota? because I'll genuinely consider relocating in order to take advantage of the socioeconomic benefits of this nascent industry.

Any big names in particular in ND I should keep an eye out for? Apply online presumably?

And finally do you have any personal experiences or tips about the job you'd care share? such as level of fitness demanded, working conditions etc. Although I'm sure those things vary from workplace to workplace, perhaps drastically at times. But some wise words would be appreciated.

Well shit, OP, you got me thinking. I'm going to sleep on this and begin to seriously weigh my options.

>> No.405728

>>405717
The most important thing is to apply in person and to network. You are not going to get a job just applying to online job sites. If you are serious about one of these jobs you will need to spend time actually traveling to and putting in applications in person. Do NOT let receptionists turn you away by telling you that they do "all of their hiring online". They are lying. Almost all hiring is still done the "good ole' boy" way. Tell the receptionist you understand but that you are willing to wait as long as necessary to talk to someone in person. Have an extremely well done, but very simple resume, that details both your technical abilities and blue collar common sense.

Also tell them you will work ANYWHERE for any length of time under any conditions. It doesn't matter if you are lying. Once you are hired if you are a good worker they aren't going to fire you for turning down shit tier assignments...though shit tier assignments can be a great way to learn really fast in the beginning and move your way up.

>> No.405742

>>405725
Better choice than the military? I'd say so. The average GED holder with 5 years experience on an offshore oil rig makes more money than the U.S. average for those holding a masters degree with 10 years experience. The lead in my position dropped out of highschool and makes $185,000 per year in his late 30's while being off 170 days per year. Think about that for a second. 2 weeks off every single month bringing in more money than most corporate wage slaves will ever bring in even working 60hrs per week for the rest of their lives.

>> No.405837

>>405728

I'm planning to do the same thing here in Europe, except the industry is not in a state of flux and the only way to get a starter job is to know somebody- I know two. So at my sister's wedding one of the guys is coming over from Scotland and I'm going to hit him up with a request and then do my basic safety training while he gets me a rig job.

Working a year on/off and being able to work anywhere where there's oil sounds fucking amazing.

>> No.406092

>>405703
>Downsides?
Wife sucks your friends' dicks while your away.

>> No.406120

>>405720

I can vouch for this. I graduated from UH with a ME degree, and got a job doing MWD. My job was basically tech support on the rigs. Installation of tool, maintenance, inspection, training, and repair. My base pay was around 40k starting, but I received a bonus of around $200 every day I was on a rig (which was about everyday), and a brand new truck every 3 months, with all gas/insurance paid for.

The work environment is exactly what you think it is. Very, very rough conditions, and very hard labor. I've had guns and knives pulled on me, handcuffed by border patrol, almost had my head taken off in an accident. Also, I was on call 24/7, which basically ruins your life. I also have some incredible experiences and met some fascinating people that I would never trade.

I know it's cliche, but the best way to get your foot in the door is networking. The whole industry is an old boys club. Plenty of fat cats in OG don't know shit, but they were in the same frat as someone else, for example. More than happy to share any advice or stories if anyone is interested.

>> No.406140

>>405703
what are the chances of dieing horribly on an oil plattform?

>> No.406152

>>406120
Know any Navy technicians with no degrees holding that job?

>> No.406156

>>406140

story from a friend

>be on platform in south china sea
>most workers are scrawny crackhead vietnamese dudes
>driller in charge is huge fat redneck
>loves screaming at roughnecks and calling them incapable chink zipperhead faggots
>they hate him
>one day they are trying to lower in a section of casing pipe, like 30" diameter, big shit
>its swinging around, and all the viet guys are running around like chickens trying to get it centered over the well
>hick driller gets tired of their queer chink bullshit, goes over to well
>has them lower casing, he wraps his arms around it and settles it down
>holding pipe steady as they lower it down into hole
>"now this is how you do it you yellow fucks!"
>all of the sudden driller screams and pukes, starts convulsing
>falls away from drillstring, stomach is gone, guts everywhere
>his beer belly was hanging over the pipe as it came down and was literally just chopped off
>viet workers start cheering and cleaning it up, toss him in the kitchen freezer

>> No.406158

>>406092
>Having a wife

Shiggity Diggity doo.

>> No.406161

>>406152

When I was there, we had 10 guys in that role. Myself and one other were the only ones with degrees, and we were fresh hires, cause the company wanted to try and hire more intelligent and capable people.

Of the remaining, I think 5 or so were ex-military, which always looks good in this industry. Usually means you hopefully have some technical skills, as well as good work discipline. The rest were roughnecks who wised up and wanted to move up the ladder.

You've got to have some kind of technical experience to get into the field though, or be really good at networking. But no, on a rig, degrees are pretty rare.

>> No.406164

>>406161
will roughnecking ever be mechanized?

>> No.406173

>>406164

I absolutely think so. It's a very dangerous, repetitive, relatively simple, but physically demanding job. It's begging to become mechanized. I can't even fathom how much it would cost time/money wise to do that though. The big companies may have already determined that they will have drank all the milkshakes dry by the time it would become feasible to develop and implement.

>> No.406224

Is the market also booming for white collar jobs in oil and gas? I finish my MBA next year and would love to get in on raping the Earth for some dough.

>> No.406256

>>405720
>mudlogging

All the jobs that I'm looking at on rigzone state that they need at least a year's experience. Should I just apply anyway?

>> No.406676

bump

>> No.406686

I'm an electrical engineer. Any opportunities for me? Don't know jack shit about the oil industry.

>> No.406784

Buddy of mine literally just got a job on a boat doing AUV maintenance. On-call he'll be making 3k a month, before even stepping on a boat. Think the figure he gave me was ~160k a year actually figuring time offshore, no college degree.

>> No.406795

>>406686
I don't know what an electrical engineer is, but industrial electricians are in demand in the bakken shale (in North Dakota).

>> No.406829

>>406686
My uncle does electrical work in the natural gas industry among other duties (including inspection). They still use cathodic protection for natural gas pipeline. If you had some knowledge of corrosion, generators, engines, etc., you'd be fairly good to go.

>> No.406913

>>406784
How did he get the job? What avenue did he use?

>> No.406926

>>406686
PE major here (the SPE guy if any of you remember me, 2 internships, connections, etc)

There may not be a whole heck of a lot for you to do on a rig since we have electricians for that but you can definitely try to get a job designing the circuits required for the rigs or the equipment we use. I don't know if you can get directly into drilling or reservoir without going for grad, and those are where the $$$ is.

>> No.407009

>>405703
So if I just graduated with a degree in finance, where could I fit into this industry? Realistic starting salary?

I have a couple ins. A friend's boyfriend works in Houston and some of my girlfriends family works in dallas or fort worth.

>> No.407027

So basically be really good friends with someone who owns/manages an oil rig.

Great, so I'm fucked. Oh well back to being miserably suicidal.

>> No.407068

>>407009
Basic corporate finance analyst. IDK 50,60?

>>407027
Only corporations own rigs. Just be likeable/personable/qualified. choose 1/2

>> No.407090

>>406913
Google search iirc, but they're also on indeed.com and Rigzone. We both work calibration for the military, but my understanding is the industry really needs electronics technicians, it's hard to promote in-house for that.

>> No.407091

>>405726
Dumb nigger.

>> No.407162

>>407090
indeed seems to be more straight to the point and include salaries, which is awesome. fucking rigzone and the rest of the sites though appear to be bullshit

>> No.407178

>>405837
>>405728
I was wondering about this though - is it possible for an European to get work in the US? EU or US- which is a better choice?

>> No.407191

If I'm Brazilian, is there any chance to join US Oil Master Race?

I'm tired of my shit country -.-

>> No.407202

>>407191

You have petrobras.

>> No.407208

>>407202

which pays close to nothing and is a nest of corruption.

Plus, I live in the capital, Brasilia, in the very center of the country, far from the ocean.

>> No.407213

>>406156
Top kek

>> No.407276

>>407208
or yu could stop whinning and do a concurso to petrobras. you are just giving yourself excuses to not study.... plus, there are petrobras offices in brasilia you lazy piece of shit

>> No.407358

>>406224
Joining on this question. I am a foreign student, starting my second year MBA from an well-ranked program + Bachelors in chemistry. I am looking to get into Oil majors ( leadership programs?) What are my plans?

>> No.407363

>>407178
anyone?
Also, I wonder if it's possible to pay someone to get you a job. like a percentage from your income. for someone without any contacts in the industry, say 5-10% would be affordable.

>> No.407376

>>407363
No. This sort of thing was abolished formally because of problems like indentured servitude. In the unlikely situation where you managed to work this out, it would have to happen by personally knowing someone. I doubt there is an underground ring of people who are getting foreigners such as yourself oil jobs. Whether the corporations hire people from other countries is a differentlauding and not what you're talking about.

>> No.407379

>>405742
2 weeks on 2 weeks off is still 56 working hours a week, averaged out over a month. The pays great but the hours are pretty standard

>> No.407381

>>407376
essentially this thread is: omg, oil industry is amazeballs. wouldn't you like to work here? well, tough shit.

>> No.407386

>>407381
you could always join the military, and then from there you can both fast-track your citizenship and get a background the industry likes (maybe even some related technical skills). Dunno what it takes for foreigners to get into the US military though.

>> No.407392

>>407386
there are place is Europe that are producing oil, but I guess it's the same deal - you need to have contacts inside for even the toughest jobs.

>> No.407428

I recently accepted a job with one of the major oilfield services companies in Alberta. Equipment Operator- Fracturing. Anyone in this thread know what Im in for? I know the details of the job, pay, rotation etc but Im still a little unclear on what the day to day is going to look like...
Anyone in here have experience on the fracturing side of things?

>> No.407562

>>405703
Enjoy plebbing with excons.

>> No.407611

>>407428
what did you do to apply to do the job brah

>> No.407613

I'm about to graduate (1 year) with a BS in mechanical engineering. What sort of internship experience should I look for, if any, to get into something like MWD, and are there other positions in offshore that my degree could help me get into? What sort of jobs are available for welders in the oil industry

>> No.407621

I graduated as a mechanical engineer
moved out to alberta
worked as a coil tubing "field Engineer" basically you do the same things the techs with no degrees do but get paid less. This winter I switched to being a roughneck on a drilling rig, and now make more money.
Want to do MWD but never hear back, alberta only hires really in winter, might try go off shore in america since I have dual citizenship.
Honestly its not worth it, i just want to do mwd because of the down time to learn computer programming and make more money in a normal place with that. Sure you make 100k but you literally make 15 an hr once you factor in the time put into the job.
friend just got a telecommute job for like 60k id rather have that filling out sql tables
o and if you work as a roughneck for a bit, mwd is a joke, dono how that guy makes it sound so dangerous.

>> No.407768

>>407562
Better than corporate drones fuqr.

>> No.407774

>>407621
Well everyone is talking about networking here... and winter is coming up, you seem like you can plug one of us in to the Canadian source ma.

>> No.407778

>going to college for geology next year
>going to become a petrologist
>feelsgoodman.jpg

>> No.407860

I work in administration for the largest single source producer in Canada.

Grew up in the oil business, lived here most of my life (though, I go to the east for school).

AMA

>> No.407876

>Common is 2 weeks on 2 weeks of, 21 days on/off, or 28 days on/off.

That is some bullshit right there OP.
I work the oil field in North Dakota and that is just wrong.
Halliburton is 2 weeks on/1 week off.
Schlumberger is 15 days on/6 off.
Precision drilling is three weeks on/1 off.

>> No.407879

>>407860
How much money do you make?

>> No.407889

if a go an engineer
do i need to have specific type of complexion?

also what about plc programming?

>> No.407891

>>407879
I pull 2500 biweekly (before tax).

I'm only 18 though, just finished my first year of university and came back to my hometown to get some work experience.

>> No.408179

>>407876
Join the offshore master race. Been enjoying 2 weeks off every month for years while raking in $120k plus.

>> No.408182

>>408179

Do you have a college degree?

>> No.408187

>>408179
what's your position? that sounds like fun

>> No.408191

Is it possible for European to work there also?

>> No.408248

> not going onto norwegian plattforms

2 weeks on 4 off. Easiely 180k € a year. If you have to hotbed you get 1k extra a month. Payed travel costs every expense covered.

Problem is getting in. Chief enginers start as motorman just to get their foot in the door. Roughnecks have college degrees.

Also
> not becoming a janitor on a rig and make 120k € while mopping floors.

We norwegians literally throw money at you if you get in.

>> No.408346

>>408248
>4chan - Pass
Gotta get that extra oil off the floor somehow.

>> No.408955

>>408346
huh

>> No.408960

>>406120
>I've had guns and knives pulled on me, handcuffed by border patrol

I wanna hear about these

>> No.408962

What's the chances of a 6'1 200lb 14 year old joining an off shore rig?

Also I'm in Maryland of all places.

Where would be the best place to apply to?

>> No.408982

>>408962
Your age is a barrier; surely you knew that already.

>> No.408986

>tfw taking the job designing chemical plants instead of the one working at one or applying to field services places like Schlumberger
Fuck. Now I'm stuck at this place for a year before I feel comfortable applying elsewhere.

>> No.408990

>>408962

0%

why the fuck aren't you trying to finish high school

>> No.409085

>>408962
underage pls go

>> No.409400

bump

>> No.409542

>>405703

Opportunities in California for a college grad?

>> No.409604

>be 19
>5'11 and 278lbs
>live in miami
>Just quit my grocery job because there is a disconnect between the worker and management and management wants me to do things outside of the job description
>about to get trained by American Airlines as ramp service next week and going to stay there for 3+ years

God forbid, but shit happens, what are the chances of me getting to the oil industry?

>> No.410162 [DELETED] 

>>409604
>>live in miami

IM in Miami Lakes!

hit me up man,

305/753/6530

>> No.410457

canadian here, finding work in ontario is a fucking pain. everything is service industry oriented. what can i do to get an oil sand job with no experience?

>> No.410463

Geologist here. 3 years in consultancy now but didn't really make much. Heaps of the best benefits but probably only pulled in total ?40k for the year. Off to do a masters now, minerals are dead so I'm going to oil. Hoping to go into an operator job like ExxonMobil afterwards. Wellsite Geo would be awesome but end plan is technical / analyst type for KPMG pwc etc.

Following the money, it's all on finance. That's how you get over ?300k/year

>> No.410470

>>409542

CA just banned fracking so you're fucked unless some new deposits off the coast are found.

>> No.410516

>>408962
Seeing nobody has given you a decent reply yet, my brother in law is a big guy like you. He stayed in school until about 17 and applied at every marine company in the city.
Refused to take no for an answer.
Must have been turned down close to one hundred times before one company decided to take a chance on a young giant.
Now he pulls in around 180k (before taxes) but it was not easy getting in.
Tl;dr don't give up, get used to hearing no

>> No.411947

>>405703
I'm finishing my ME degree and have blue collar job experience, and I'd love to do that kind of job.

I'm from Yurop though, would it be very difficult to get a job in the oil industry? I have zero connections with people in the US

>> No.411956

I'm currently waiting to hear back from anyone in the industry. Got a few rejections so far for various technical positions so I'm not really expecting to get hired. Texas, btw. But yeah, refineries / oil / energy in general have plenty of jobs down here.

I've only applied online though. Only had one interview too. I do have a family connection trying to get me an interview though, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

>> No.412132

>>406156

holy SHIT

>> No.412134

>>406156

I mean holy SHIT man.

I had to get up and walk around for a bit after reading that.

>> No.412339

>>405726
>tfw PA
the shale here is fucking boomin

>> No.412346

Oil is projected to run out by 2030. What will I do without a degree and only have experience with oil industry?

>> No.412354

>5'10
>195lbs
>/fit/

Would a laborer really be that bad?
Doing landscaping right now while I'm applying for finance jobs. Lifting shit isn't that hard.

>> No.412387

>>412339
I'm about to graduate with a bachelors in industrial engineering (green engineering minor as well), do i have a chance snagging a job working in shale? I'm gonna be moving up to PA to live with my friend in a month so i'll be there anyway.

>> No.412392

>>412387
Id imagine so.
PA promotes its natural gas like its nobodies business.

Thanks Tom Corbett

>> No.412400

>>412354
> 5'10
> suicide is the only option

>> No.412401

I'm in. Where do I sign up

>> No.412414
File: 47 KB, 1253x909, 1383493237749.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>412387
PETE working out of Pittsburgh right now here.
Sorry we only hire real engineers.

lel had to get that one out

In general we hire people with more quantitative engineering degrees (meche, cheme, even mining and aerospace kek) but IE is sort of a big ass joke. Maybe you could get lucky with MWD (very unlikely) or get an analyst role like the leech you are (sry)

>> No.412420

>>409604
>>412354
>>408962

I don't know why people keep posting their stats here. Yeah, A LOT of dudes on rigs are pretty big, but at the end of the day, toughness wins out, both mental and physical. I saw everything from 5'6 to 6'8, from 140 to 400. But yeah, if you have to ask if you can do it, it's probably not for you.

>> No.412440

>>408960

>be on shit rig in west texas
>crew is laughably shitty and retarded
>i happen to be driving nearby when they call me with a question
>i head over to the rig in my normal clothes (jeans, polo, but still wearing PPE gear)
>shooting the shit with driller
>inbred meth head roughneck starts complimenting my jeans
>"damn sweetie, those jeans make yo ass look tight, mmmmm ayy city boy can i take you out fo' dinna baby, you gotchu sum nice lips too, mmmm."
>ignore him, driller tells him to piss off, that he should know better to talk to an educated, nice engineer who's helping the rig out
>"dayum you gotchu self a degree too baby, mmmmm imma make you wife, you so smart and sexy, tight little einstein ass, i go gay fo' dat ass"
>tell him to fuck off, let the bigs boys talk
>he loses it, runs over to locker and pulls out machete and runs at me
>"AY YOU FUCKING FAGGOT, YOU THINK YOU BETTA 'N ME, LITTLE PUNK BITCH, IMMA CUT YO BITCH ASS CITY BOY COLLEGE NUTS WHAT WHAT WHAT NOW"
>driller punches him in throat, tells me i can kick him a few times before he fires him
>i laugh and politely decline

Such is West Texas.

>> No.412457

I applied to the big four oil service/drilling companies in the US at least two weeks back and haven't heard back from a single one.

For each one I applied as a field engineer. I have a bachelors in ME with a near 4.0 GPA and one year of experience working in an experimental laboratory (it's hands on). Are there any recruiters I can contact to have an easier time getting in? I just want a job that isn't shit as currently my income is less than $24k/year before taxes.

>> No.412475

>>412457
>one year of experience working in an experimental laboratory (it's hands on)
Barely worth mentioning.
Most people get offers from college internships. Most recruiting is done by early spring as all of the entry-level jobs can be filled with PETE majors or ME majors from really good schools.

>> No.412492

>>412475
It's all I have, and the laboratory does fuel related experiments. I really don't want to stay there for one more year making complete shit money, and I see Halliburton constantly putting up new entry level positions. I apply for them but don't hear back. SLB and BH only take your resume without giving you the ability to apply for a specific posting, and I haven't heard from them either. I wasn't expecting much from Weatherford, but I applied there too, and also nothing.

Is there any other company that takes in entry level engineers that I could apply to?

>> No.412495

>>412492
If it's fuel-related experience that you have then you should apply for refinery positions. Of course that is mostly ChemEs but you seem to have experience which may help. I just hope for your sake that you aren't talking about experience with wind, geothermal, or any other hippy shit.

>> No.412502

>>412495
The laboratory does work purely on combustion of hydrocarbons. I also have experience with gas chromatography which was used to analyze the products of combustion.

Where should I apply for refinery positions? So far I've been only looking into field engineer positions and the four companies I listed don't seem to do much if anything at all on the refining stage of things.

>> No.412513

>>412420
nigga that's stupid
>if you have to ask, its not for you
I do back breaking laborious all day, I'm just asking if it is equally back breaking or what it involves you big, fucking silly

>> No.412532

>>412502
>>412502
Conocophilips, shell, chevron, exxon, bp, marathon, sunoco, others.

>> No.412598

>>412440
>i laugh and politely decline

dude why

>> No.413266

>>412475
Every oil rig thread is the same: the OP asks 'why dont you work in an oil rig? lots of jobs and they pay a lot!' then when someone asks where can you sign up the answer is 'well you need connections blah blablah...'

>> No.413288
File: 11 KB, 264x282, yeah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>406256

You get 0 of the jobs you don't apply for. Fuck what they want; you want that job, so apply anyways. If they trash your application you've literally lost nothing but the ~30 minutes it took you to apply. No risk with possibility of high reward.

>> No.413366

I'm an Econ and Global Studies double major with no experience. Would there possibly be any positions for me?

>> No.413371

>>406120
>I've had guns and knives pulled on me
im scrawny and im a nigger. Would they treat someone like me shitty?

>> No.413393

I'm 20 and studying CS in college at a big southern school and have been looking into the oil industry.
However, I haven't seen this question asked, what about the commercial divers? I'm a certified diver from when I was younger my dad made me get it. Diving is pretty fun and I haven't heard much about the commercial divers.

Any advice/help?

>> No.414145

>>412440
Hahaha

Many Geo jobs in West Texas?

>> No.414335

>>413393
Yes but only because the other divers keep dying (RIP). you'll have to pay for your own training in a well known centre and then muscle your way into a company. Lots of backbreaking work. Huge rewards. Short life expectancy.

>> No.414488

>>414335
Why do they keep dying? Chemical exposure or accidents?

>> No.414514

>>413266
That was just for the field engineer jobs. I don't know about the roughnecks so I was not referring to them.

>>414488
You're welding gigantic pipes underwater. Between chemical exposure and accidents they don't last too long. Starting to have robots do the welding with the welders sitting on boats miles away operating the things.

>> No.414541

>my reading comprehension

I just realized it says divers, not drivers. I thought you were talking about commercial truck drivers.

>> No.414606

>>414541

Don't worry, I thought the exact same thing.

>> No.415439

>>405725
I work in the chemical van for my frac company. i'm the dude jamming that shit down the hole. if you're not an idiot and think through the steps there is very minimal exposure to toxins. the biggest risk would be inhalation in the winter when the doors have to stay shut. there are masks that we wear though.

then again.... i smoke a pack a day

>> No.415449

>>407428
what company are you with? i work with a fracking company in red deer.

it depends on your personality i think. you have to have a tough skin. you'll work with 10-20 dudes who will prey on weakness. that sounds worse than it is and it can be but 90% its just harmless fun. have fun and laugh at yourself and dont get sensitive. i saw one guy let everyone get to him so bad he flipped out and threatened to kill everyone. to which everyone just laughed in his face.

as for the work, i can only truly speak to non-water fracking. which should let you know where i work. in general though hours can be long and they are divided among intense physical work to sitting on your ass to huffing heavy iron and hammering it, to driving a big fucking truck in the middle of winter for 8 hours. you probably won't get bored. especially when you are working with a big crew of dudes.

at first i hated it. being away for 2 weeks at a time and working assholes. then slowly i began to love it. i hope you do to man.

oh, and the money. i take it you're green as fuck. i guess you'll make 70-80 grand the first year and then when you get up to OP3 after 2 years you'll be making 110-120 grand.

don't fucking waste that money. don't be another oil patch asshole who makes 6 figures and has to sell his truck come break up.

it is what you make it my friend.

>> No.415500

I just moved to Midland/Odessa. Got a shit job to pay the bills while I look for entry level oil work. It's harder than I thought, at least right now. Oil jobs aren't growing on trees. Or maybe it's just slowing down for now because the price of oil is falling. Anyone else notice this? Certain citizens of this town keep saying shit like "walk down this street and you'll have a job by the time you get to the end" and I found that to be false but at least my resume is out there.

One drilling company has a hire list for floorhands and I signed up but there were about 15 guys in front of me, most of which already had experience. That makes me uneasy I thought anyone with experience has no problem around here. Maybe because they don't have CDL's idk. Getting anxious that I'm late to the party while a bunch of felons and 20 year olds are making it because they got here a few years earlier.

I'll answer any questions to anyone else looking to go to Midland/Odessa.

>> No.415518

>>406173
They already did that it's called an iron roughneck. Probably unimaginably expensive for all but the most most high tech, biggest rigs ever.

I'm still looking to start out but just to make enough money to pay off debt and save for an engineering degree. I wouldn't want to roughneck for longer than about 10-15 years (I don't know why anyone would) and I'm sure iron roughnecks won't get too popular by then to replace all roughnecks.

The other thing to realize is that you don't have to be a roughneck to make money there's loads of related positions. Even floorhands/roustabouts make good money. Also mudlogging, mwd, motorhands, casing, wireline, perforating, fracking, maintenance, welding, cement, well operations and I'm sure there's more. I'm finding it hard to get in without experience but I'm determined to find the one that's willing to train me.

>> No.415530
File: 100 KB, 415x720, fit-no-girlfriend-PUA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how much would a seemingly onshore oil rig warehouse job make?

http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=bGF1cmEuc3RlZWwuMjM2NjEuMTc2MEBlZGVuc2NvdHQuYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t

http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=bGF1cmEuc3RlZWwuMjM2NjEuMTc2MEBlZGVuc2NvdHQuYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t

I'm kind of hoping for like 45grand in burgerbucks plus accomodation. Looks like something decent as a stepping stone, but maybe that's just my inexperience speaking.

>> No.415542

>>406795

I'm a residential electrician with one years experience. Should I wait till I finish school in 3 years?

>> No.415553

>>405703
>rough types, rednecks, etc.

lol, canadian entry level oil workers are known as "roughnecks"

also, you're clearly a shill. STFU, oil isn't sustainable unless you're the guy drilling it.

If you can't think of anything else to do and like stinky, shitty work, go ahead but don't expect it to last forever. Alberta in Canada is experiencing the boom right now but it will inevitably crash.

>> No.415906

>>415449
Haha small world, Im in Red Deer too. Starting on monday with BH. The hiring process is kinda confusing and takes forever but it seems like its gonna be a good deal. I get a Class 1 license out of it so even if I get laid off quickly It should be easier to find work next time around. Hope to stay long term though.
> i take it you're green as fuck.
Yeah Im as green as it gets, got some safety tickets and thats it. Honestly thats whats got me nervous, I dont know jack shit, but Im fairly smart and I hate being shitty at something so I think Ill be able to figure it out.
>don't fucking waste that money. don't be another oil patch asshole who makes 6 figures and has to sell his truck come break up.
being unemployed the last four months has really given me an appreciation for how little money I need to live comfortably. I want to save enough so that I dont have to work all my life.

>> No.415915

>>406156
"Friend" - not "Don't tell mom I work on the rigs"

Faggot

>> No.416225

>>415906
>>415449
Ever heard of anyone getting a job without a drivers license?