[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 990 KB, 994x1080, N61mNaN.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3809895 No.3809895 [Reply] [Original]

How happy will money really make us if we're not happy with ourselves when we don't have money? Once you have enough money to pay your bills and go out to eat without looking at the price money stops buying happiness, then it's up to whether or not you have a purpose in life. What's your purpose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Zv8qrDoNM

>> No.3809950

>>3809895
Thank you anon

>> No.3809964

Anon, I make money to feed myself. I already am plenty happy in other areas in life, but am struggling as a poorfag all my life.

>> No.3809981

>>3809895
>money won't make you happy
I know, dipshit; I just care about surviving alone in comfort without having to work, free to come & go as I please wherever I feel like in the world, why my sweet residuals pay for all of my expenses.

"Happiness" is bullshit for children which women chase and convince weak men to chase.

*Success* is far superior to happiness.

>> No.3809983

my purpose is to be completely free of all financial chains. sounds pretty awesome desu

>> No.3809989

>>3809895

6 months ago I was committed to be a broke musician for the next few years, in the 1 in a million chance of turning that into a career that pays the bills. Now I'm in the process of researching what I need to know to open a bar.

>> No.3809991

>>3809895
I will figure out a way to build wells for Niglets. Ala Justin Wren

>> No.3809997

The more money i make the less the pajeets do. The only thing driving me to success is to keep others poor.

>> No.3810020

>>3809997
Well, it's good you to have a purpose, but that's not how the free market works.

>> No.3810040

>>3809981
Achievement=Success=Confidence=Happiness. I don't know how you could say happiness doesn't exist. Happiness has to drive you and you're only happy if you have something to get out of bed for.

>> No.3810041

>>3809895
>Once you have enough money to pay your bills and go out to eat without looking at the price money stops buying happiness
>once money stops buying happiness it stops buying happiness
No shit. You won't need happiness anymore once you've already fucking bought it now will you?

>> No.3810044

>>3809895
There is no purpose. I'm seriously thinking about donating anonymously all of my gains to some animal shelter and then commiting suicide. I couldn't care less about my own comfort.

>> No.3810079

>>3810041
The point I'm trying to make is that once you're stable you don't have to worry, but people can get lost and complacent after they achieve that level of financial security. If you don't have a purpose then all you will have gained is more time to sit around and be miserable.

>> No.3810104

>>3809895
Im already happy for no reason because of my antidepressants so I dont give a fuck

Im trying to be comfy. and that costs money

>> No.3810109

>>3810040
I hope you're trolling. You just haven't found something that you love. If you could do anyhting and succeed what would you do? and don't haggle yourself down. Be honest with yourself. Whatever the first thing was that popped into your head was you have to do that, because that's what scares you.

>> No.3810130

>>3809991
Hey you may think he's silly, but I bet his life is a lot more fun and interesting than most people's.

>> No.3810143

>>3809989
Fuck yeah!! Don't lose your vigilance. You'll be standing in your bar thinking "Holy shit I did it" before you know it.

>> No.3810194 [DELETED] 

>>3809895
What if I'm black and I can't get ahead because of systematic oppression? Do you even know what systematic oppression is?

>> No.3810229

>>3810130
I'm not keking at him anon, I would love to give back to humanity in some way to relieve me from being struck by lightning for making all this easy cash. Karma bro.

>> No.3810240

money will only make you comfy

>> No.3810261

>>3809895
I know my purpose. I can't fulfill it until I have money or monetize it you dipshit. Don't post normie-tier videos that explain such prosaic concept as "why money doesn't buy happiness".
Tell me how to make enough money to emancipate me!

>> No.3810272

>>3810240
But being comfy doesn't equal happiness.

>> No.3810300

>>3810261
As long as you have a source of income you can save. If you hustle you can save more. This is Capitalism. You build capital and you invest. I can't hold your hand, but I can encourage you. As long you're getting closer to your goal you're fine. Don't be so negative. No need to call people "dipshit".

>> No.3810321

>>3810044
I own an elderly Basset hound, I'm basically an animal shelter ;)

BTC: 1BFQs8V7Lbzj8CqF6NNYCfwJX9fok3ZwFr

>> No.3810326

I'd donate back to biz for helping money magically appear in my account. Perhaps give some good advice and help make biz great again during the process.

>> No.3810350

>>3810326
Maybe Biz would actually start talking about business or finance. That would be crazy

>> No.3810719

>>3810300
Thanks for the incredibly unhelpful vague painfully obvious answer.
Don't give me any of this philosophy of a 19 year old who just heard a TED talk on "The essence of Zen and living in the now".

Where do I source income? How can I asses my personal strengths? How do I work out what my greatest commercial weaknesses are and develop strategies to eliminate them, avoid them, or choose people to delegate tasks that overlap with my weaknesses to?

Why industry do I go in? How do I find like minded individuals? Should I ditch my friends because they are unmotivated or keep them around because they will ground me and help me remember and stay true to my purpose?

Give me practical strategies and techniques.

>> No.3810780

>>3809981
Read maslow

>> No.3810813

>>3809997
You sad little man. I wish you sprout a heart before its too late.

>> No.3810842
File: 84 KB, 500x276, tumblr_m8xdny7qh31qbimneo1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3810350
>That would be crazy
Yes it would be crazy unless you... oh I don't know... spammed the board with Finance and Business related threads yourself?

>be the change you want to see in the world
>post it, and they will come
>Listen to your intuition
>Vague, oft quoted 'inspirational' quote

>> No.3810873

>>3810719
Look man those are questions you're going to find out for yourself. You know what your strengths are. Everybody has an idea of what their strengths are. As for finding like minded people, you need to start working on your dreams, and you'll eventually meet like minded people. I feel like you're mad at yourself for not having the courage or drive to achieve what you want out of life and you're taking out on me. Don't be like that. Just do what you gotta do. You know how to find out what you need to do in order to get where you want to go. You have the answer to every question you have at the tip of your finger tips.

>> No.3810886

>>3810842
That's what I'm doing though. I wish more people did this.

>> No.3810894

>>3810044
Use your gains to open your own animal shelter then idiot, that's just fucking lazy

>> No.3811005

>>3810873
>Look man those are questions you're going to find out for yourself.
What a cop out!

>You know what your strengths are.
No I don't. or rather, I don't know what skills I have that are moentizable!!

>As for finding like minded people, you need to start working on your dreams, and you'll eventually meet like minded people.
What does that even mean!!? "work on your dreams" what does that mean? It's so vague as to cover yoru ass to sound profound without offering any actual insight or actionable advice.

> I feel like you're mad at yourself for not having the courage or drive to achieve what you want out of life and you're taking out on me.
I feel like your vague advice does more damage than good.
You might be right about the drive and courage thing - but then again everyone around me says that I have exceptional amount of drive and courage... I think maybe they are slackers.

>Just do what you gotta do.
Another vague cop out. How do you avoid the garden paths? How do you know what you "gotta do". How do you avoid working in a 9-5 that you think will open doors for you but is actually a dead end?
How do you focus on the RIGHT things that actually translate to financial and existential freedom?
> You know how to find out what you need
No I don't. I really fucking don't.
>what you need to do in order to get where you want to go
Please someone just tell me how to find it. I don't need the answer, I at least need the methodology to work out how to align my ambitions with present actions.

>You have the answer to every question you have at the tip of your finger tips.
No. Believe me if it was that close I wouldn't be here now.

Let me ask you a question? What have you actually "accomplished" in life - both spiritually and professionally?

>> No.3811042

>>3811005
Ok, If you could do anything and be successful at it what would you do? What's the first thing that pops into your head and don't bullshit me. I'd don't care how stupid you think it is just say it.

>> No.3811095

>>3811005
I started out making websites and making money off of ads and eventually selling them. I moved to the US from Canada and started a business. I fell on hard times and had to move to a shitty part of town. I though I had made a mistake, but I worked on my business and kept believing in what I was doing. Now I'm living in a nice building downtown. My business is starting to pick up and I'm happy. I haven't accomplished everything I want to yet, but I'm on my way.

>> No.3811156

>>3811042
I told you at the beginning. I already know what I want.

I want to make documentary films. Assume I know EVERYTHING about that career path.( I probably do too.)

So here are my questions:
>Should I focus on getting better at project-management? Does that simply mean making more films?
>Should I focus on getting better at closing sales? If so, how do I do that? (you see: I can't possibly have the answer within me - how would I know how to learn something I can't do?)
>Should I pack it all in for a few years and try and find work in content marketing - making videos for businesses - which uses the same skill set. Earn money, then fund my own productions?
>Should I put all my effort into finding a 'producer' someone who will take care of the logistical operations?
>Should I play the social media game and leverage that reputation after a few years into getting some kind of financial backing for my work?

These and THOUSANDS OF OTHER QUESTIONS - most of which the answers aren't within me because they involve the outside world.

Are you happy? I bared my soul - now if you don't have some sound, insightful advice I want you to admit you're just full of shit.

>> No.3811215

>>3811156
Should I focus on getting better at closing sales? If so, how do I do that? (you see: I can't possibly have the answer within me - how would I know how to learn something I can't do?)

This is wrong. You can definitely be aware of your shortcomings and know how you could improve.

>> No.3811233

My goal is to use my money to hire assassins. I only need money to fuel my edgyness.

>> No.3811241

>>3811215
>This is wrong. You can definitely be aware of your shortcomings and know how you could improve.
>can
can being the operative word.

But here, how?
How can I get better at closing sales? Should I get a job in retail? Should I do one of those scammy looking seminars? Should, I... I don't know... see if my friend can get me a job in an art gallery and try and sell to rich people?

Should I go full hog into freelancing and be aggressive about it - that sounds like trial and error though - and if it hasn't worked for me before it doesn't seem like it works again.

I DON'T FUCKING KNOW!!

>> No.3811279

>>3811241
Just do whatever seems the most fun.

>> No.3811282

>>3811156
I never said I had all the answers. I just made a about money not buying happiness and how you need purpose in your life. I haven't seen your any of your documentaries so it's hard to give an opinion on where I think you're at. Plus I've never been in that industry. I'm not acting like inhale all the answers. You're trying to throw all this different shit at me when I don't even know you. From your post it seems you already have different plans on how to get where you're going so it's you that's bullshitting. I can't tell you how to make it in the film industry just like you can't tell me how to get my bars in a grocery store. We're on different paths so we have to adapt in different ways. Again, I never claimed to be an expert at everything. Just take whatever pertains to you from my videos and if you find anything of value them don't watch them.

>> No.3811302

>>3811233
Murder is never the answer anon.

>> No.3811366

>>3811279
Probably the seminar, but maybe that's just because it's low-risk in terms of time committed.

I'm leaning towards working in retail as the answer but again, i don't know.

>>3811282
I didn't ask you for answers - I asked you how to find them.
You're a fucking cop out.

You could have at least said something vaguely useful like
>Which of these seem most logical to you?
or
>Which one will take the LEAST of your time?

And then start a path of inquiry there. But no. You copped out.
Here I am showing you a very real situation where my lack of finances stands in teh way of my achieving contentment, of actualizing my purpose - and you're just like -- "uhh yeah I don't know".

I'm glad that you managed to get out of the bad side of town anon, great for you, I'm glad you managed to find a way that makes money for you and you're making progress in that. Don't get me wrong.

But don't throw this vague bullshit advice about like you've figured it all out when you can't even give me a methodology to begin narrowing down my choices.

I don't need answers - I need a way to evaluate them.

>> No.3811428

>>3811366
Selling your product is about transferring emotion to the buyer. So if you can't get someone excited about your documentary then maybe you need to work on your salesmanship. You can buy self help books or watch videos online for that. You have to also consider the fact that what you've created is shit. Your gut should tell you which one is holding you up. Check out skillshare. It's like 10 bucks a month and you can learn all kinds of skills related to what your talking about. I hope badgering me the way that you have has atleast been therapeutic.

>> No.3811432

>>3809895
you need money to gey you through the dips in life thats all there is to it

>> No.3811467
File: 6 KB, 250x175, 1505069479371s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This guy in the vid sounds like a fag, but I've been thinking about it a lot as well OP.

I just need enough money to stop wagecucking, and then I can work on being happy.

As long as I'm waking up at 7AM to make money for some rich CEO, I'm never going to be happy. That's my bare minimum.

>> No.3811481

>>3811428
>Selling your product is about transferring emotion to the buyer.
Thank you high school commerce teacher
> So if you can't get someone excited about your documentary then maybe you need to work on your salesmanship.
Well duh... maybe that's why I asked should I do it.
>You can buy self help books or watch videos online for that.
This year I've read 5 books on the topic of selling.
Anything you could reccomend
>Your gut should tell you which one is holding you up
My gut never tells me anything. I envy people who have intuition. (that's an exaggeration, but point is my gut doesn't tell me anything about THIS sort of stuff).
> Check out skillshare. It's like 10 bucks a month and you can learn all kinds of skills related to what your talking about.
Okay I will check this out -- see this is practical advice.

But it's still not actually doing what I asked - I asked you a way to evaluate answers.

Let me ask you a few questions about you: How did you know before you moved to Canada it was the right decision?
When did you know the business wasn't working - what was running through your mind?
You seem to have confidence in your business now - but you say "but I'm on my way." how are you judging that? I realize you can never be 100% sure about these things, but there must be something that is suggest, guiding you towards believing that?

If it's all down to you having faith those things that work out - why? Why faith in these decisions? What other paths might have you gone by, and rather than tell me what the "could have been" is - tell me why you didn't?

>> No.3811637

>>3811481
I didn't know if moving to the US was the right disicion. I was just tired of sitting in a room all day on a computer making websites. It's not that my business wasn't working. It's that it wasn't off the ground yet and I ran out of money that I saved up to support me until that happened. I had all the same doubts that anybody else would have. Some days I would wake up and wonder what the hell I was doing, but you have to put those doubts at the back of your mind. I knew my business was picking up when sales picked up. I did everything to market my bars. I hounded farmer's market directors to get in when there were waiting lists to get the word out about my bars locally. I used my skills that learned from marketing websites to market my bars on Google. I went around to different gyms and got them to set my bars out front by giving them a cut. I did everything and through word of mouth it's starting to pay off.

>> No.3811677

>>3809895
No shit money doesn't buy happiness. It alleviates stress. The absence of unhappiness brings people back to neutral. It doesn't thrust them into perpetual happiness.

>> No.3811703

>>3811481
Anon I understand where you're coming from.

Anecdotally,I'm constantly asking entrepreneurs to share the hurdles they overcame early on. What I'm getting at is what the whole process looks like. They always fail to understand the question and start spouting off with some "follow your dreams", "you just have to get out there and do it" and "I can't tell you how to be successful with your product in your market because it's not my product in my market" kinda BULLSHIT.

>> No.3811736

>>3811637
>I didn't know if moving to the US was the right discussion. I was just tired of sitting in a room all day on a computer making websites.
Ahh okay, I getcha.

>I had all the same doubts that anybody else would have. Some days I would wake up and wonder what the hell I was doing, but you have to put those doubts at the back of your mind.
Now I'm curious about that. What like, would you tell yourself or how would you think about things when you had those thoughts.

I realize that pushing aside those doubts is literally the only way to succeed, but, forgive me for prying - how internally did you deal with those thoughts?

> I knew my business was picking up when sales picked up.
Pretty clear metric that one. Makes sense.

>I did everything to market my bars. I hounded farmer's market directors to get in when there were waiting lists to get the word out about my bars locally.
Now, did you change strategy much? Or was it pretty much just hammering on doing the same thing?

>I hounded farmer's market directors to get in when there were waiting lists to get the word out about my bars locally.
Did persistence pay off? Or did you get good at calling them at the right time of day, sweet talking them etc?

> I went around to different gyms and got them to set my bars out front by giving them a cut. I did everything and through word of mouth it's starting to pay off.
Cool. hope it goes well for you.

But again, did you think of other businesses - what did you see your options were if you stayed in America and? I think I understand why you left, it was you NEEDED a change of environment, yeah? I understand that.

>>3811703
haha, Someone understands!!

What has been practical or informative advice for you? Even if it's just specific to what your doing? Anything you feel like sharing?

>> No.3811931

>>3811736

>haha, Someone understands!!
Right? It's a PITA.

The simple answer is google is your friend and lurk moar. Which is still just a shitty platitude. =)

I apologize if this all comes off as esoteric and vague.

With respect to hearing entrepreneurial stories of overcoming early struggles I broadened my scope to more than in-person conversations and sought out podcasts interviewing entrepreneurs about their stories, biographies, and articles. Just tried to soak up as much of that as I could. This gave me a better understanding of the, the sort of high-level process of it all. It was helpful for setting my expectations in more detail than what i was getting from catch-phrases such as "fail fast" and "you have to fail to be successful".

I'm also interested in marketing. I've been lurking entrepreneurial forums and reading books just soaking up knowledge learning as much as I can so I can improve my theoretical knowledge and develop a high-level understanding of what I should expect when doing all of this.

These kinds of things can be learned much faster by "doing" for most people. Knowledge gained from practical experience is extremely helpful because most people A) lack the ability to quickly transfer abstract understanding into practical actionable steps and B) develop "knowledge of their process" by learning lessons here and there along their path of experience and waiting for said-knowledge to spontaneously emerge.

I would recommend immersing yourself in the documentary filmmaker experience as much as possible.

You are on the right track with your questions. Sorry I've been so vague.
>>3811156

>> No.3812065

>>3811931
This has been my general approach sorry this was vague.
>>3811156
>Should I focus on getting better at project-management? Does that simply mean making more films?
You should assess yourself now based on what you know of PM requirements for documentary film making. Read up on decision theory (satisficing v maximizing). You don't need to be perfect just good enough. No need to reinvent the wheel.

You will gain practical experience from filming and should always be working on a project. But along the way learn from those that inspire you. Network with other film makers to compare learning experiences, share opinions, and stay up on current events in that industry.
>Should I focus on getting better at closing sales? If so, how do I do that? (you see: I can't possibly have the answer within me - how would I know how to learn something I can't do?)
Yes. Everyday try to get better at selling. We all have to sell ourselves (I got my engr degree to sell myself to my employer). You will need this to sell your films to potential associates, the film making community, film festivals, potential investors (for equipment, travel, paying your team, once you get big you will need one, etc...), the public at large. Also this knowledge will help guide your career. Don't know what your next project will be? Selling is about figuring out what people need and satisfying it. Documentaries (to my understanding) are doing this as well. Filling that need for information (or awareness of a cause).

>> No.3812080

>>3812065
>Should I pack it all in for a few years and try and find work in content marketing - making videos for businesses - which uses the same skill set. Earn money, then fund my own productions?
Is your main source of income already documentary film making and it provides you the means to work on the projects you want? No, you should not pack it in.
Are you working a shit job or a 9-5 and not constantly working on (generally) film making or better yet (specifically) documentary film making?
Yes you should re-align such that you are making films/videos constantly to keep your skills current and because you will learn things along the way since you are stacking practical experience in film making as you go.
>Should I put all my effort into finding a 'producer' someone who will take care of the logistical operations?
I would lean on the experience of your idols and other film makers for this one. Firstly, it may not be required to film making to have a producer (though I suspect it is). Secondly, it may not be required on small projects (if you are at that stage). And thirdly, a mix of the two, it is likely that early on you will wear many hats and be producer/director/editor and only until such time that your projects grow large enough to require it will you have need for one. I would put this off for now (if I am reading this right that you are still early on).
>Should I play the social media game and leverage that reputation after a few years into getting some kind of financial backing for my work?
Yes absolutely do this. This is but one strategy for fundraising, getting your films marketed to the community, and attracting talented associates to give you advice or critical feedback if in peer positions or help you create your projects if they are not in the role you exist in.

Hope this helps. I enjoy taking specific advice, generalizing it, and re-specifying it to other shit. Don't roast me please haha.

>> No.3812140
File: 536 KB, 1000x731, Psychic Surgery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>get rich
>live long enough to jump on the immortality train
>observe and participate in how humanity advances in the coming centuries conquering the universe
Pretty straightforward desu

>> No.3812602

>>3809895
How is downtown Orlando?

>> No.3812837

>>3812065
>>3812080
>>3812080
thanks for that... a lot to reflect on.
Main take out is that all my problems upon early reflection is all my problems could be solved by either a fistful of cash (maybe 20k) or being a charismatic fuck. (So in other words - money)
This i guess is why I was so incised by OP, money literally would get me to my happy place.

But I'm gonna sit down and work on the next step.