[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 981 KB, 1064x589, 1397000612681.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
270775 No.270775 [Reply] [Original]

So I live in Toronto. Gonna be graduating college with some shitty accounting diploma at the end of summer. I understand that to qualify for an accountant designation, I'm gonna need an uni degree. So what can I do with my accounting diploma? AP/AR monkey? Is the job market as bad as people make it out to be? Will I be wasting time and money if I continue schooling in uni?

>> No.270795

>>270775
you can do AR and AP, some bookkeeping with your diploma. not sure what else, ask your lecturers or someone in career services at your school

are you looking to do accounting in uni?
if you go to uni for accounting, and you're not an aspie, get decent grades (3.0 minimum, 3.6 or better recommended), and have some extracurriculars, then you can go into an auditing firm easily

if you know someone at a firm, a friend or relative, you're basically guaranteed a job

>> No.270820

>>270795
Well I don't really enjoy accounting, but I don't hate it either. I started with this so I might as well finish uni with it, plus it seems to be the safest route for a career.

>> No.270892

>>270775
>op's picture

the movie flowers of war really fucked me up, especially since it's all true. goddamn those japanese back then, what were they thinking?

>> No.271262

Accounting is very stable, safe, etc.

You'll never be out of a job and it is easy to relocate.

Is University worth it? Yes. Especially in Canada; if you are a citizen your University costs should be extremely affordable compared to the USA.

>> No.271289

>>270775
Where do you go? Im starting the business diploma program in may at seneca newnham...

>> No.271553

>>271289
Yeah, I'm at Seneca Newnham

>> No.271716

I always think you only go to universities if you are taking a career that requires licenses like doctors, lawyers ,etc.

If you're thinking on getting skill based jobs, you're better off learning over youtube or get an apprenticeship over a skilled craftsman.

Just my 2 cents OP.