[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.31 MB, 2020x1895, pepehm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
26967946 No.26967946 [Reply] [Original]

Alright faggots I need a non retard to explain or point me to an explanation for this GME shit.
Namely, how the fuck can Melvin buy shorts for over 100% of the float. How can that number of shares be lent, and how the fuck would Melvin have bought back more shares than their are in existence, even in the case that the share price crashed like they thought it would...
It doesnt make sense to me.
Also, what's stopping these fuckers from just closing their positions now. There's enough volume for that to happen in a short amount of time it seems. People repeat the idea that they will be forced to buy and close their shares at astronomical prices but I don't understand why. Im reluctant to believe that these are just stubborn assholes who don't know how to maneuver their way out of a fucked situation. There's clearly huge whales playing both sides of this game and anybody who believes that this is entirely reddit's doing is a clueless moron.

>> No.26968305

>>26967946
>Also, what's stopping these fuckers from just closing their positions now
Contractually they are obligated to buy back their borrowed shares today when their shorts expire. It’s a seller’s market and they need at this point, what, 250% of the total supply of shares? Which means they have to buy whatever people are willing to sell them at whatever exorbitant price is being offered. They’ll try to wiggle out of it but Blackrock and Vanguard have their dicks sunk deep. It’s pretty unprecedented and I don’t think anyone really knows what the fuck will happen, only that it will be very dramatic

>> No.26968909

How the fuck does that happen. Even if the price went down as anticipated how do they buy back more shares than there are in existence? They were just counting on the lender to not want those borrowed shares back? This shit is too much for my monkey brain and it feels like everyone is just regurgitating information without a complete understanding.

>> No.26970129

>>26968909
After the shorts expire they have a certain amount of time to cover the shares. In a typical successful short situation the shares will cost less than what they did when they borrowed them, so it’s a simple enough matter of buying available shares to fulfill the contract, and in this case they would have simply bought more shares again after the initial set they returned was sold off, thereby shorting with more than the available supply. This is illegal of course, but they did it anyway using various loopholes, because they are very greedy and also because this sort of thing happens all the time and no one holds these gay funds accountable. They milk tons of money out of dying companies this way, it’s a big racket. But now they have a boot deep up their ass and the scheme won’t work

>> No.26970522
File: 1.33 MB, 2777x2700, 1611891245075.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>26967946
Here you go OP

>> No.26971028

Why is nobody talking about the motherfuckers that lent the surplus shares to the hedge funds? Im still not entirely clear on how that happens. New shares in the company arent issued to create new short contracts, right? So there is deep fuckery here, and its not just down to Melvin buying these shorts but also the people who sold them.
Also some people say shorts have no expiration, others say shorts expire at a certain date; tomorrow, next friday. Nobody fucking knows anything with certainty and thats the problem. These wall street faggots operate behind the thick veil of convolution and 'rules for thee, not for me.' Im ready to watch this whole goddamn system collapse. Fuck it. Accelerate.

>> No.26971072
File: 164 KB, 716x727, C9B9C231-CC6E-4506-BA0C-1F23AC3C29DE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how many times do we have to explain this to newfags. theres a thread asking this question every 10 minutes and every major news station has covered it. Retarded.

>> No.26971112

>>26970522
Thanks. I saved that one earlier today after it answered some questions (and raised a few more).

>> No.26971357

>>26971072
Point me to the thread that answers my specific questions then you skim-reading piece of shite.
Only new fags call people newfags. I do well trading spot crypto but this wall street shit is outside my wheel house and piqued my curiosity. Faggots like you who are afraid to ask questions, or unable to answer them, are the lowest tier faggots around.

>> No.26971509

>>26968909
Short selling itself is an extremely judaic concept. We would be better off banning it altogether. Market should be based around real tangible things instead of borrowed imaginary shares that have the potential to become a financial black hole. I don’t see how it benefits anyone except kikes looking for bailouts.

>> No.26971901

>>26971509
The convoluted financial instruments do seem like a way to rob us in plain sight, bankrupt companies at will, and tilt the system in favor of people in the know.

>> No.26973454

biz is fucking dead all the big brains literally went to reddit.
just pajeet shills and bots now

>> No.26973561

>>26967946
You know how the financial sector tanked the economy in 2008?
well this is a kick in the nuts for them for that

>> No.26973621

>>26967946
Melvin has capital of 12 billion. They could get a loan that exceed 12 billion.
They can still get loan of stocks to short.

>> No.26974685

>>26967946
Nobody's giving you a straight answer because most are pretending to understand what's going on.
>Normal short selling
kike fund wants to short. Kike fund borrows stock from broker. Both agree on a settlement date for when shares should be returned. Kike returns the borrowed shares on said date.
>Naked short selling
Same as above, except kike does not return borrowed shares on settlement date. Kike instead gives an IOU for the share to the broker. Yes, kike essentially just 'printed' some shares. Because let's say you're a greedy kike fund and you borrow 100% of the stock in existence and sell. Now let's say settlement day has come and you're supposed to return the shares. You remember you're a greedy cunt, so you return IOUs instead. You've just diluted the number of shares by a factor of 2. The greedy part comes in when you borrow these IOUs to short sell (which now have their own new settlement date for return ofcourse). Congrats you've just gone 200% short.
It used to be a massive problem pre-2008. You couldn't distinguish between what's a real share and what isn't. This was made illegal post-2008, so no idea how kike funds are getting away with this.

I don't know the answer to your second Q

>> No.26975653

>>26974685
>Nobody's giving you a straight answer because most are pretending to understand what's going on.
That's the frustrating part.
Your post is the closest thing to a real answer.
Are the IOUs borrowed from the broker sold to some schmuck as actual shares? Or wrapped in some other way? I dont even know why Im concerned with this. I get the sense that there is no limit to the corruption in play. Fuck these cocksuckers. Accelerate.

>> No.26976335

>>26967946
>Big banks and central banks have been suppressing gold and silver for decades while using the dollar to print money and gain every more wealth
>dollar is on it's last legs
>need an excise to let precious metals rise so they can become true kings of the world
>bait reddit into short squeezing gamestop (that name is no coincidence)
>bait reddit into "short squeezing" the silver market (over 180x as much paper silver as physical)
>apocalypse of the financial system, big banks rise from the ashes with most of the PMs and become neo-feudal lords
Ah never mind, you said "non retard." Time to take my meds.

>> No.26976604

>>26967946
>How can that number of shares be lent, and how the fuck would Melvin have bought back more shares than their are in existence
To short, you buy a share and immediately sell it with the hopes of buying it back later at a cheaper price.
Who do you sell it to? Some rando? Some rando who has a trading account at a broker which will lend out that share AGAIN to the same short sellers?