[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 129 KB, 976x850, 1580751406506.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
25858393 No.25858393 [Reply] [Original]

CS student here. So this semester I have a module that requires for presentations almost every class. I have social anxiety and I'm pretty uncomfortable with presentations and stuff. I only have 2 modules for this short semester. I'm thinking about deferring it so I can focus on crypto trading for the most part, idk if that's an option but if it is I'll most likely try to.

My anxiety has been spiking all week ever since I learnt about having presentations every other day and this has been messing with my crypto trades. I'll also have to dedicate less time to crypto because of this bullshit module, and that means less gains. Would this be a wise financial decision?

>> No.25858432

>>25858393
I meant deferring this one pain in the ass module NOT the entire semester, the other module is pretty chill.

>> No.25858526

Who in the fuck gave you permission to use my Pepe?

>> No.25858547

I know it'll be tough but you gotta bite the bullet and do the presentations, only way you're gonna grow, once you get into the fulltime workforce, there will be many similar situations or even more nerve racking situations

People are too busy worrying about themselves to judge you anyway

>> No.25858581

>>25858393
You'll get used to it very quickly, don't be a pussy

>> No.25858618

>>25858393
Anon I'm gonna give you some actual advice instead of just being a cunt for no reason so here goes.
The only way to get better in tyerms of social anxiety is to counter it by doing the thing, you need to put yourself into social situations because you will start to realize it isn't shit. The best way to do it I think is to hop into the deep end of the pool and do things like give presentations and do public speaking. I understand that this can be challenging though (At one point in my life I could barely speak if there was more than a handful of people looking all at me) YOu can mitigate these feelings by starting small. Make small talk with a cashier, that kinda shit. Then from there increase the amount of people, rinse and repeat.
Let me be very clear about this. If you decide to defer this and continue to run from your issues they will only compound and get worse. Be a fucking brave person for once in your goddamn life.
Or you could do what I did and join the military. Once you go through a kill house, or better yet once you take life, you'll realize that talking in front of a group of people is literally a laughable thing.

>> No.25858794

>>25858393
What? That's not what I signed up for. What kind of class?

>> No.25858961

>>25858618
This is the best advice. I remember being so nervous on a work group call once and I was just like OP , getting nerves the night before , feeling weird etc... I was kind of nervous and even froze up but I kept doing them. now I do them every day in new position and it’s literally just like talking to my parents or friends - basic and easy. You have to hurl yourself into it and possibly fail a few times

>> No.25859016
File: 45 KB, 383x385, 16820349.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25858393
>goes to college
>runs and hides at the first sign of something outside his comfort zone
i seriously hope you are a woman, otherwise this is despicable cowardice

>> No.25859039
File: 89 KB, 680x680, 574D2ECD-4E56-41E7-BF89-4925BF85561C.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>25858618
>Make small talk with a cashier, that kinda shit. Then from there increase the amount of people, rinse and repeat.
This advice might be the best thing you’re gonna read on biz. Sparing brutal PTSD or crippling anxiety, a lot of mental health stuff can be helped by exposure.
I had some weird anxiety and OCD stuff pop up a few years ago so I did exactly like this anon said and exposed myself to it. Did not tapping my keys a certain amount of times drive me fucking crazy? Yep. But nothing happened. Did I sweat bullets talking on the phone? Yep. But nothing actually happened. You can get over this shit man and your life will improve. Especially if you start reaching out to women.

>> No.25859055

>>25858961
It's honestly the only way. I mean the other I listed but that's kinda not for most people.
>>25859016
Don't be a cunt anon, there's no reason as I'm sure that there is something that you have in your life that you struggle in.

>> No.25859094

>>25858393
grow a pair of testicles. you don't have social anxiety, you're just being a whiny bitch. Really.

You have these anxious feeling because you want to dazzle your classmates because derive validation from others. A real man puts himself before others. Just do the presentation and stop wasting brainpower on garbage.

practice giving your presentation to your pillow like 10 times, speak out loud to no one. simulate it. anticipate a question from your teacher maybe.

>> No.25859120

>>25859055
>struggle in.
OP is a cunt because he's not struggling, he's running out of fear. Struggling would be the right thing to do because it forces you to improve instead of being a little bitch

>> No.25859146

>>25858393
unironically order phenibut.

>> No.25859306

>>25858393 (OP)

Hey OP - Don't stress on presenting. It's something that you will master as you progress with your career.

Here's your fix - Watch some stand-up comedy on youtube.

The evening before presenting to stakeholders, I stick on some Dave Chappelle or Bill Burr.

Far better than any Ted Talks or Linkedin crap.

After an hour or so of stand up imagine I'm dave Chapple or Seinfeld doing stand up, but instead of comedy, it's presenting a prototype.

And for trading - Kepp your distance from the market for the next week and focus on your education.

(You won't be missing much till late Q1 - Staking)

>> No.25859354

>>25858393
bro thats free exposure therapy, it will suck but embrace it

>> No.25859385

>>25858393
propranolol

>> No.25860071

>>25858547
>>25858618
>>25858961

OP, take heed - you will rarely find posts so unironic and non-shit here. If you want to get and maintain a job with that degree, your #1 skill is going to be COMMUNICATION. In terms of getting a job, keeping your job, getting a raise, getting promoted etc. only 30% or so comes down to your actual code ability. 70% is the ability to communicate the value you bring with that code, what it does, how it fits in with existing systems, how to extend it into the future, etc. No one else but you is going to know how the fuck it works or what it does besides "make button do good", that's up to you to get across - otherwise, you'll remain a nobody and be the first to get laid off because everyone thinks you're a fuckoff.

>> No.25860113

>>25858393
If you don’t do this now, you’ll never be able to do it

>> No.25860333

>>25858393
I agree with other anons that you just have to do it, but I’m afraid that anxiety will not go away no matter how many times you do presentations. If possible get therapy help. Good luck.