[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 58 KB, 1262x837, graphic-privatetab.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19889330 No.19889330 [Reply] [Original]

Hi all.

I was looking to discuss with you for a moment the prospect of internet privacy in the web 3.0 age.

Years ago, I used to use the Tor network for my private web browsing. Ever since Tor was found out to be compromised, I've been skeptical of using the service by itself. When I found out about Brave, I was ecstatic that a privacy browser integrated Tor directly. I've been using that with a VPN service I pay for to stay relatively private.

Is near total anonymity possible in the age of dVPN and privacy browsers like Brave with services like Orchid, Sentinel, and Tor? Considering how all of your traffic is being routed through so many different IP's, and dVPN basically scatters that data across even more variables, is it even possible to still get tracked anymore?

Can the U.S. government and/or other leading governments even keep up at this point? I think the rate at which the technology is growing is too fast for the state to keep up with.

What do you guys use for anonymity when browsing the web nowadays? Do you think the world governments can even catch up to the private sector at this point?

>> No.19889371

Bump

>> No.19889436
File: 9 KB, 291x241, 1592175619382.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.19889748
File: 9 KB, 225x225, snowman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No takers huh?

Can't say I blame any of you. Never reveal your hand if you don't have to.

I'm genuinely curious as to how others maintain their maximum degree of privacy in the age of mass government/corporate surveillance. I like to use Brave with Tor, and search engines like DDG since they don't maintain a copy of your search history either.

Connecting to a VPN beforehand is something I'll usually do. But now with dVPN, it seems like connecting to dVPN immediately after connecting to a private VPN service would increase the privacy of your network traffic tenfold.

Disabling cookies, disabling Javascript, fingerprinting protection...with all of these ways of denying surveillance of bad actors, how is it even possible to get tracked nowadays? Seems like the chances of getting caught using the decentralized web to access the black market nowadays is decreasing considering how much tech is coming out while states around the globe are failing to keep up in other areas of the services they are supposed to provide.

I'm sure some among you would say I'm being naively optimistic, and maybe so. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.

>> No.19889844

Yellow kangaroo in my soup

>> No.19889887

>>19889330
Working on a Dvpn anon.

>> No.19889924

Julian Assange says use Sentinel dVPN and says he will be making an equity investment into any company that leverages the power of this network.

Sincerely, Watcher X

>> No.19889927

Who cares just buy LINK

>> No.19889941

>>19889748
I just wanted to say thank you cause I've been out of the game for a while and had no idea that dVPNs existed. That's awesome.

>> No.19889962

>>19889748
Just got off a call with the team that built Brave. They are extremely interested in Sentinel and will be helping with penetration testing in the future.

>> No.19890118

>>19889924
Kek

>> No.19890148

>>19889927
Link is all alpha decay.

>> No.19890177
File: 185 KB, 1280x684, 651B356F-375F-4697-945E-D2C763592236.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19889941
Yes sir. Decentralized VPN. There are a few pretenders. Substratum shorted the bottom of Ethereum with their raised money (I shit you not) they died, Mysterium are in quicksand, struggling along without a clue how to move forward and no resources, will end up like substratum. Orchid, well, if I ever saw a honey pot, wowzers, this is the most blatant honey pot scam pump and dump I ever saw anons.

And then, what’s that... over there... in the distance... a bright blue candescent light, so bright and so true, I see it clearly, Sentinel cometh. Cometh the moment cometh the saviour. Our savour our lord. A real solution to humanity’s darkest time. A true diamond in the rough. She goes on Cosmos. She comes closer and closer with her allies by her side. She comes to save the human race from evil. She’s comes to end censorship worldwide and free humanity from the shackles of doom.

WE MUST RIDE TO HELMS DEEP ANONS. WE MUST WIN THE BATTLE OF MIDDLE EARTH.

USE SENTINEL DVPN TODAY. HOST A NODE. SUPPPORT THE NETWORK. FOR IT IS OIT LAST HOPE. WE MUST HAVE FAITH THAT THE DARKNESS WILL NOT PREVAIL. SHINE LIKE A SENTINEL ANONS. WE WILL SUCEED.

>> No.19890205

>>19889330
https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252466203/Top-VPNs-secretly-owned-by-Chinese-firms

VPNs are just slowly being bought by chinese gov, they can just print mad stacks of cash no centralized vpn provider will refuse a big offer from china gov or mossad ,any vpn company that get some adoption will get a offer from gov agencies sooner or later, one of the best methods to get your company acquired if you are after $

any centralized entity that can be bought or attacked will get exactly that, you think governments will let VPNs that can be easily shut down still exist ?

>> No.19890520
File: 35 KB, 580x477, congrats.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19890177

>> No.19890853

>>19889941

No problem. As others have mentioned here though, I would still try and be careful, as Orchid could be a honey pot, although Sentinel I have more faith in as I've used their beta release on Android and PC with Tor. And I was amazed at how fast the service was.

I'm not a tech expert by any means but judging by the services I've used and tried so far, Sentinel seems promising. I'm going to try Orchid later on today.

>> No.19891376

>>19890853
https://www.hackread.com/private-internet-access-pia-vpn-sold-israel-privacy-concerns/

https://blog.orchid.com/pia-bringing-trusted-private-bandwidth-to-orchid-users/

orchid and pia partnered to create a mossad "decentralized" vpn
what a scam

>> No.19892187

>>19891376
orchid is not a truly decentralized vpn they don't allow users to host nodes, its just a pooled scam vpn with silcon valley scammers team

>> No.19893006
File: 2.07 MB, 1200x1816, ETH-USER-EXPERIENCE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19892187
its even worse then that , i tried using it , only a retard would think that normal consumers will be able to learn the whole process , they are limited by the platform they are building on.
eth can't scale and forces users to hold cause they don't wanna allow to pay fees in other tokens, so end users need both eth ond oxt to use a vpn, its never going to happen

>> No.19893021

>>19889330
Unfortunately unless you go full schizo and build not only your computer piece by piece but custom build and flash some of the parts as well (cpus are backdoored by the manufacturer etc), then run archlinux inside qubes, and never use anything other than burner encrypted phones you pay for in cash, true privacy is impossible, you can do things as a normal person to protect yourself somewhat (like brave, vpn, etc) and still function within society, but anonymity is something that's not gonna be available to most, even the more tech savvy, until we drastically revamp privacy legislation for the better to keep companies and the government in check and make privacy the standard. Right now, if you want complete digital privacy, you shouldn't be using tech at all.
https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/botnet.html

>> No.19893141

>>19893021
i agree that true anonymity is impossible but imo the point is to make surveillance more costly for govs and making our anonymity set bigger by encouraging as many people as possible to use privacy enhancing services and help their development or host nodes etc...

>> No.19893198

>>19890177
na your computer will still leak your MAC address and other small bits and bobs of data

buy a computer second hand from an anonymous vendor and do that stuff and you'll be good enough

>> No.19893894

>>19893141
Sure but if you think they won't continue to dump money into more sophisticated technology in this "arms race" I'd say thats wishful thinking, there's too many positives for both the private and public sector "big brother" when it comes to survelliance capitalism. I agree that encouraging more people to put a band-aid on the wound (privacy-based software, decentralized services etc) is a good idea, but when the majority of operating systems and hardware is backdoored, the most essential task is waking up the masses/normies to the importance of privacy (and lack of censorship) and getting voters both in america and globally to push for it

>> No.19894081

>>19893894
doing both is the only solution , education is our strongest tool, but keep in mind that microprocessors are a strategic asset, its a political tool and one of the strongest methods of control, thats why israel has such a strong hold on the rest of the world, so i doubt that we will have any success till boomers are alive

>> No.19894207

Freedom of the press (:

Sentinel node is a modern printing press and guild

>> No.19894372

>>19894081
I agree both are essential absolutely, one of the two isn't going to require normies to change their day-to-day nearly as much though, which is a cardinal sin to many of them. That's why I like privacy software like Brave, it feels functionally the same to chrome but with overall quality-of-life improvements like speed, which is how you get your average joe onboard. I agree that too much of the public isn't gonna be receptive to that a lot of the spying being done in the west is being spearheaded by Israel (or American companies that they love like Amazon, Google, Apple, etc), but I think you could easily get boomers onboard by saying it's unpatriotic/unconstitutional (no search and seizure, etc). A lot of getting people to adopt better tech and get policy changed is optics, privacy/freedom of information needs to be cool (something hard to do when most search engines, social networks, other tools we use to disseminate information are horrible for both and public discourse is subtly altered by these tech giants and the government who also have access to multimillion dollar think tanks and marketing firms). Like (somewhat related, mainly just an example) if everyone ditched fiat and moved to crypto it would be a huge step towards making tech and financial institutions be tools that work for us rather than the other way around, but most normal people are scared of things they don't understand or think are weird i.e. not cool. If I can get real tinfoil hat I feel like even if people start to wake up, there could be some sort of "incident" that would happen at just the right time where survelliance would be the answer, and people would fearfully rush towards the wrong direction like with the patriot act (not saying the precursor to that was constructed, but a new thing on a smaller scale could be), there might even be another constructed "incident" that gets foiled by the new in place higher levels of survelliance to prove to the public how necessary it is.

>> No.19894422

>>19894207
Bezos buys the press, Buffet buys the press. When you say press you mean the press is more of a information pathway than a content creator?

>> No.19894634

>>19894372
I am not worried about normies personally, what they consume is not always the entirety of the market. Only the bourgeoisie get armed security to stop the Geoergr Floyd mobs. Commerical applications for the white label 'enthusiast' corporate, state, NGO, or private entity is a much tastier and more niche market. Sentinel represents the valve and gate keepership for all enthuthist who have more skin in the game. Today's climate is based on information liquidity power games, and Sentinel provides that theater of action. It will be a standard like Tor and even propagate much further node and personal use disaporia than any other application ever has.

>> No.19894805

>>19894634
Again, I'm not knocking privacy tech and software, I think the more people ,enthusiast or normie, using it the better, but ultimately it only increases your privacy without giving you complete anonymity. I think Brave, sentinel, other privacy tech is great and cool but I think if we truly want to achieve total security and privacy as well as a free flow of information (which I think that most people would agree, here or in general, would be a better world), then we need to work to 1. Get as many people from all walks of life aware and onboard, 2. get them using this new wave of easy to use privacy tech (which again, puts a band-aid on the wound), and then 3. properly "heal the wound" by pushing for legislation that acts as permanent solutions.

>> No.19895008
File: 281 KB, 1131x1131, IMG_20200623_164440_684.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19894805
Gay. burn the books, censor the proliterat, and white glove/label privacy and freedom. Sir the internet is gentrifying, purchase a Sentinel, and mansion to secure yourself today!

>> No.19895193

>>19895008
I mean again sentinel's great but it's not gonna fix the backdoors in you or any other enthusiast's OS, chipsets etc, you're kinda missing the point. I already use plenty of this privacy tech myself (and have been looking into sentinel, might get onboard) but if you think it gives me, you, or any other power user totality in our privacy or freedom (especially if you have any intention of functioning in the real world) you're deluding yourself

>> No.19895466

>>19894372
well look at what they did with corona everybody is onboard on the scam , for a virus with mortality rate similar to the flu, so i don't expect people to become privacy conscious if there is no direct incentive to do so, or something must happen that forces people to either use privacy tech or get rekt maybe soviet union 2.0

>> No.19895524

>>19889748
Good luck using any modern website with JavaScript disabled.

>> No.19895860

>>19895466
Nah man I truly believe shits gotta be voluntary, any government, company whatever is gonna get subverted and become oppressive, trading one nanny state for another doesn't solve anything. No point in buying into the golden birdcage fallacy, if people want to attain freedom they gotta make that choice, I've gotten plenty of normie friends into privacy tech like Brave by just appealing to whatever way I think they would see it as directly helpful, I think the more it gets spread person-to-person is a good first step.

>> No.19895943

>>19895860
(To clarify my point we need to limit the overreach of companies absolutely through legislation, but do the same for the government as well)

>> No.19896217

>>19895860
well im doing the same ive managed to get 100 people to switch to brave and im gonna try to make them use sent dvpn.
the dream would be to make my friend group and family to switch away from windows but i doubt thats possible at least for now

>> No.19896369

>>19896217
Yeah, so much of the world is dependent on either windows or macos (and so much software has no linux version or alternative) that I kinda see switching to linux as something useful, but impossible to get most average people into, and much less necessary than simpler, user friendly shit like brave, vpns, etc (especially considering the surveillance shit at the hardware level I've mentioned a few times). Hell I still have to use windows for certain software for my job, games with my friends, etc. That's why I think privacy tech is absolutely an essential step, but legislation is the main one

>> No.19896458

>>19896369
Also, it's so refreshing to have an actual conversation about real solutions to digital privacy/censorship on this site, somehow /biz/ always seems to be more receptive to concrete actually workable fixes than /g/ lmao